main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Legacy - vignette, Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, May 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Title: Legacy
    Author: VaderLVR64
    Characters: Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon
    Summary: Newly accepted as Qui-Gon?s Padawan, Obi-Wan finds himself assailed by doubts.

Legacy

Obi-Wan sighed deeply, his eyes closed, his expression appropriately serene ? and his heart in a turmoil. Newly accepted as Qui-Gon Jinn?s Padawan, Obi-Wan still found it somewhat odd to be back in the Temple. He had been one of them, and then?not.

Only Qui-Gon?s reluctant intervention had given him the right to call the Temple home again. He still felt unworthy and unwanted ? his place here was not secure, at least in his own mind.

Pushing away his troubling thoughts, Obi-Wan sought the serenity that always seemed to beckon him ? and yet remain tantalizingly out of reach. He so desperately wanted to justify Qui-Gon?s faith in him, but the boy often felt he would never become the Jedi he should be.

?Padawan?? Qui-Gon?s voice came from the doorway and Obi-Wan turned to smile at his Master.

?Yes, Master Qui-Gon?? His master had obviously just arrived back in their quarters, for he had removed his cloak but still wore his boots and outer tunics. He usually removed those items if he was had been home for more than a few minutes.

Qui-Gon came in and sat down on Obi-Wan?s bed. ?You have been meditating.? It was not a question, but Obi-Wan answered anyway.

?Yes, Master.? Slowly, he rose to his feet and slipped on an outer tunic in case Qui-Gon had something for them to do. ?I needed to,? he added simply with a shrug.

Their eyes met and Obi-Wan had no idea that every doubt and insecurity was reflected in his gaze. ?It is good to connect with the Force, the energy that binds us all to each other,? Qui-Gon said and Obi-Wan smiled in pleasure at the implied compliment. ?But we should make sure we pay attention to the here and now?where we are, the things and the people around us.?

Obi-Wan?s smile faded. ?I think I understand. I shall try harder, Master,? he promised solemnly.

With a small laugh and a shake of his head, Qui-Gon smile ruefully. ?I did not mean it as a correction, Padawan, merely as a bit of?advice.?

His good humor restored, Obi-Wan grinned at his Master. ?You are very connected to the Living Force, aren?t you, Master??

?So I?ve been told,? Qui-Gon answered dryly. ?Though it wasn?t meant as a compliment, I assure you.?

Obi-Wan remained silent at this, unsure what to say. His Master seemed not at all perturbed by the seeming criticism.

Qui-Gon shrugged and leaned back on his hands, taking up most of the small bed with his large frame. ?I am more connected to the Living Force than some, perhaps most, Jedi,? he said softly. ?It gives me insights that sometimes escape those who are more intimately bonded with the Unifying Force.? He winked at Obi-Wan. ?And thus we are led into conflicts with each other, wondering and arguing which is the more valuable.?

?Do Masters really argue?? Obi-Wan asked, distracted by the image of that dignified body of leaders sitting in the Council Chamber, trading insults and arguments, finally resorting to sticking out their tongues and stomping off in anger as the younglings sometimes did.

?All the time,? Qui-Gon replied cheerfully. ?Though of course we always conduct ourselves with great decorum and courtesy.?

?Oh.? Obi-Wan felt slightly disappointed at that, though he could not say why.

?Unless it?s Mace Windu and I going at it,? Qui-Gon confided in a conspiratorial voice. ?We tend to get loud and rather?enthusiastic.?

?Enthusiastic?? Obi-Wan asked uncertainly.

Qui-Gon laughed. ?Neither of us will back down,? he explained. ?And we?ve been known to continue our discussions for weeks at a time.?

?Sort of like you and Master Ny?? Obi-Wan asked.

?Ah yes, Sian?? Qui-Gon?s lips quirked. ?Let?s just say that Sian is not very likely to spend a lot of time and energy discussing the Force.?

?I like Master Ny,? Obi-Wan felt compelled to defend the boisterous and irreverent Jedi Master, who nonetheless seemed to hide a deep core

2. jedidas3

jedidas3 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 25, 2007
    Absolutely beautiful! =D= You amaze me with your wonderful talent and I'm thankful that you share it with us.

I could picture this very conversation in my mind and I love stories like that. Nice job![:D]

3. Jinngerbread

Jinngerbread Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2007

Qui-Gon looked down on him, and Obi-Wan thought he detected something close to tenderness in his Master?s gaze. ?I know you will, Padawan,? he answered with a slight smile. ?You are my legacy, and I am well pleased.?

Obi-Wan smiled, for the first time feeling at home, as if he belonged.

Really interesting choice of phrase. I'm not sure if you meant for me to be reminded of the Biblical account of Jesus's baptism with the last words there, but if you did, that's what I remembered and I thought it very sweet for the words to be applied here in a discussion of legacy.

4. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    ?Of course you do, just as I must try to make myself touch the Unifying Force,? Qui-Gon replied. ?Both of us must learn to see that part of the Force that usually eludes us, for that blindness to one aspect of the Force weakens us, no matter how gifted a Jedi I might be otherwise, or you might become.?

Obi-Wan was silent for a moment, his mind reeling from Qui-Gon?s words. He looked up at his Master. ?Do you think that?in time...I might be a?? his voice dropped. ?A gifted Jedi??

Qui-Gon looked down on him, and Obi-Wan thought he detected something close to tenderness in his Master?s gaze. ?I know you will, Padawan,? he answered with a slight smile. ?You are my legacy, and I am well pleased.?

So I'll quote what everyone else will - but it's too good not to. I just love the conversations between those two. The heart of whatever they discuss in simple terms that hit home.

Lovely.

5. monkeykelci

monkeykelci Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 28, 2008
    You are my legacy
    [face_blush] [face_love] [face_blush]
    How sweet.

You tell 'im, Qui-Gon!

This was a wonderful fic and a very well written one at that!
    I loved the flow of the story and how everything meshed together perfectly!
    Lovely fic, I enjoyed it very much!

6. dimyavie

dimyavie Jedi Master star 1

May 3, 2006
    Awesome fic. I loved when Qui-Gon called Obi-Wan his legacy!!!! Anyway, thanks so much for writing. :)

7. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Loved the conversation between the two. Poor Obi-Wan, thinking that he wasn't really wanted. The thing is that he and Qui-Gon talk in completely different languages at times.

Obi-Wan was silent for a moment, his mind reeling from Qui-Gon?s words. He looked up at his Master. ?Do you think that?in time...I might be a?? his voice dropped. ?A gifted Jedi??

Poor kid. Thinking that Qui-Gon wasn't that pleased with him when all along, he was. Legacy indeed.

Great job.

8. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Loved it the entire conversation between Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon.

Beautiful written as always.:*

9. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Awwww...that was wonderful.

I loved Qui-Gon's reassurance to Obi.

He may not have had all the answers, but he knew exactly what to say to his unsure padawan.

[face_love] [face_love] [face_love] [face_love]

Great job on this

=D= =D= =D= =D=

10. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    It is always interesting to imagine what Master and apprentice spoke about on their return from Bandameer.
    A conversation like the one you have written is something you would hope that Qui-Gon would say.

Well done.=D=

11. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    Wow, that was really sweet.

Loved the little reference to Sian, btw.[face_whistling]

12. celine

celine Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 26, 2007
    Very well done. I really love the rapport between these two. It's so fun to write...and read.=D=

13. Rogue_Pilot_2347

Rogue_Pilot_2347 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2005
    NEAT!!!!!!! I like the dialogue here! It's such an important conversation for any teacher/student pair to have--especially a Jedi and his padawan.

And you handled it beautifully!

14. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    A wonderful conversation. I would love to see more of these little gems.

15. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Aaawwwwww!! [face_love]

That was so beautiful! [face_love]

[face_love] Aww, such lovely mush! (And it hadn't been quoted in a while. [face_mischief])

Thank your for sharing this wonderful story, VaderLVR64! :D @};-

16. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Awwwwww, Obi-Wan feeling unworthy and Qui-Gon making him feel at home. Very sweet. And Obi-Wan being disappointed to hear that Jedi Masters' arguments are conducted politely....depending on who it is. [face_mischief]

17. JediXManSerenaKenobi

JediXManSerenaKenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 27, 2007
    Wow, that is such a great little story. Love the conversation! Fantastic job, Vadey!

- Serena

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.