main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends The Portal - Obi/Qui/Mace; JA, drama, angst, h/c; Obi is 15, Now Complete!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by p_stotts, Jun 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. p_stotts

p_stotts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2001
    Title: The Portal
    Author: p_stotts
    Characters: Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, Mace Windu
    Genre: JA, Drama, Angst, H/C
    Setting: Ten years pre-TPM, Obi-Wan is 15
    Summary: Obi-Wan is captured by witch hunters and condemned to death while on a mission with Qui-Gon.
    Disclaimer: I don?t own them; I just play with them.

Chapter 1 ? ?Between a Rock and a Hard Place?

?Your body and mind are corrupted. Confess your sins and redeem your immortal soul before Iaomai.?

A guard stood on either side of Obi-Wan, each holding an arm. Both their grip and the feel of the bindings around his wrists burned his skin. He clenched his jaw and stared at the Inquisitor, a skinny, hook-nosed old man with a chicken neck. **Master?** White-hot pain roared down the training bond, nearly making him pass out. Force, what have they done to me?

Two strong-backed lads stood to the side, huddled in their brown woolen coats, the only other witnesses to the proceedings. Beside them on the ground lay four long-handled iron hooks.

A shrill wind blew in from the ocean, raking shards of ice across Obi-Wan?s bared torso. This time, he couldn?t help the whimper of pain that escaped his control.

The stunted trees that grew upon the rocky escarpment groaned as old men complaining of frigid bones. Their naked branches reached up toward the gray winter sky like the tines of warped tridents. A raven squawked from one of the dead limbs and flew off to the north where the craggy peaks of the Leander Mountains loomed, cloaked in their mantles of white.

?Confess your own sins,? Obi-Wan said.

The guards released his arms and one brought his lash down upon Obi-Wan?s back. Fiery pain clawed across his skin. He screamed and stumbled forward a step. A sharp stone dug into the sole of his bare foot, cutting through the numbness the frigid ground had wrought. His leg buckled, and he fell to one knee.

The guards hauled him back to his feet. ?You shall keep a civil tongue in your head, or you shall enter the Portal mute as well as condemned.?

The Inquisitor waved the two young men forward. One uncorked a clay jar and handed it to him.

The guards held Obi-Wan still while the Inquisitor smeared a sweet-smelling, gelatinous ointment onto his chest and back. He whimpered and panted against the pain caused by the touch.

The Inquisitor?s lips quirked in a parody of a smile. ?To make your flesh more palatable for the demons to feast upon.? He backed away. ?Open the Portal.?

The two young men stood opposite one another and slipped their iron hooks into four metal rings bolted at even intervals around the edges of a flat, circular stone as thick as a Wookie?s arm and as big around as one of the pods in the Senate assembly chamber.

Obi-Wan read the runes carved into the stone?s surface. Prepare ye for Iaomai?s judgment and Shamar?s eternal torment.

The lads widened their stances and one shouted, ?Heave!? Slowly and steadily, they dragged the stone from the mouth of a pit twice the width of Qui-Gon?s broad shoulders. Their grunts and the strained looks upon their faces attested to the weight of their burden.

The guards dragged Obi-Wan to the lip of the opening. His breath hitched in his chest. Until this moment, he truly believed his master would find him in time. After all, a day and a night had passed since his abduction from the governor?s manse. Yet, here he stood.

?Jedi,? the Inquisitor spat, as if the word burned his mouth, ?you have been convicted of the sin of witchcraft by Iaomai and by these witnesses. By the sacred laws, you are committed to Shamar?s punishment, where your soul and your body shall suffer torment until your iniquities are cleansed.?

Obi-Wan refused to allow these men to see how helpless he felt. ?Then my time will be short, for I am innocent.?

?Iaomai?s judgment says otherwise.?

?Your ignorance and fear will be your undoing,? Obi-Wan shot back. ?The Force will save me.? Even as he spoke the words, calm wove through his mind. He inwardly cr

2. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Oh nooh where is Obi-Wan headed and will Qui-Gon rescue him in time?

Beginning with a cliffie.:eek:

3. Sabriel_Orion

Sabriel_Orion Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 29, 2008
    Eeek. Where the heck is Qui-Gon?!?!

Great start on the fanfic. Add me to the pm list for this one please. And thanks for letting me know about it. :D

4. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    OH, that is [face_devil] .

I love the intimitation that the "bad guys" are doing something that is "not evil" in their world view (I might be wrong on that). The ceremonial language and all implies - whether the motive is "pure" or a "cover up" for something else that Obi-Wan is considered a real threat.

That being said, poor Obi. He hasn't mastered the There is no Death, There is only the Force yet - he's not ready to accept death.

Thank the Force for that.

Now Qui, get to your padawan. I want to see some h/c.

5. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    :eek:

An evil cliffie already! [face_skull]

I loved the descriptions at the beginning, you've painted a very bleak picture of this place they're at! [face_worried]

But now I just have to say: poor Obi-Wan! :_| I hope Qui-Gon finds him soon! [face_praying]

I would love PM's for this one too, of course! [face_batting] :D

6. dimyavie

dimyavie Jedi Master star 1

May 3, 2006
    You have me hooked already! I can't wait to read about how Qui is handling all this. Please update soon. Thanks :)

7. Obi-Odd13

Obi-Odd13 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 13, 2008
    Oh poor Obi! [face_worried] What exactly is in this pit? It's obviously pretty far down, but what's at the end/bottom? [face_worried] I'm just a little scared for Obi. Although I know he's pretty strong, and can defend himself. :) Although...he now has a badly broken leg, his hands cuffed together, and apparently the inability to access the Force with out extreme debilitating pain. :( So the odds are against him. Well, that's never stopped him before has it? :D But could you add me to the PM list? I know he'll get outta this evetually, but I still wanna see what happens. ANd how Mace factors into this whole thing. :cool:

8. Quigonjecca

Quigonjecca Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    Starting with a cliffhanger eh? Ah well, it promises to be a good story!

Thanks for the PM!

Anyway, this is a really great start, and I can't wait to see where you go with it. Poor Obi-Wan! I wonder what's in the pit? Rancor? Something... else? *gulps*

If you have a PM list, please put me on it. Either way though, I'll be following this story!

9. ZaraValinor

ZaraValinor Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2002
    Ah, interesting. Very good start.

10. ClaudiaR

ClaudiaR Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 8, 2007
    Qui-gon should have a long range tracking device installed in the kid with the amount of times he gets kidnapped!

I am looking forward to learning what happens

11. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    I agree. A tracking device would save them so much trouble! Especially when they run into fanatics. They do have the Force; I suppose that is their 'tracking device'. But Obi-Wan has hit his head, so now anything can happen -- outside or inside his head. [face_thinking]

12. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I like the tracking device idea- "chip" him just like my little Chewie (yes I named my puppy Chewbacca)

Having recently read aradavenport's Shower viggie,I hope Obi doesn't wake up to find all that happens later is nothing more than a dream ;)

13. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

Took me a bit of time to get this computer to work it isn't mine and I am away for the long weekend.
    Gone to Newcastle to visit my niece.:cool:

Ah finally got it to work.8-}

An evil cliffie I just love it.[face_devil]

why oh why does everything always happen to Obi-Wan.[face_thinking]

I know because we love to see him get hurt and we love making him
    better with a bit of mush :D

Another wonderful story to read.=D=

14. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    Thanks for all the great feedback. Welcome new readers! Glad to have you along. Chp 2 will answer some of your questions, but will probably raise many more.

This next part is short, but it was a good stopping place. Enjoy!

Chapter 2 ? Where In The World is Obi-Wan?

?I have no intention of leaving this planet without my padawan.? Qui-Gon crossed his arms over his broad chest and glowered down at the much shorter and more slender Goveror Selmet.

Selmet ran a hand through his shoulder-length gray hair. ?Please, Master Jinn. The records at the space port indicate Padawan Kenobi left the planet two nights ago on a transport bound for Corsuscant.?

?And I tell you Obi-Wan is still on this planet.?

?I am not discounting your word, but if that is so then someone went to a lot of trouble to lay a false trail. I am not suggesting you actually leave the planet, but merely appear to leave the planet. Whoever kidnapped your apprentice might then relax his, or her, guard? enough that they might make a mistake that will at the very least give us a clue to Padawan Kenobi?s location.?

Mace Windu stepped up next to his friend and laid a hand on his shoulder. ?It?s worth a try, Qui. We can take off from the space port then orbit the planet and land elsewhere.?

Qui-Gon shook his head. ?I fail to see what good that will do. The officials at the space port would notice our deviation and track our movements.?

?Leave that to me, Master Jinn.? He turned to a map of the planet hanging on the wall of his office. ?I will have a team of investigators rendezvous with you at these coordinates.? He pointed to a location in the foothills, several clicks from the capital city. ?Not all my informants have checked in yet. Let us wait to hear what they find before we investigate further. I will, of course, com you the moment I hear of anything resembling a lead.?

**Master! Help**

White hot pain bombarded the training bond from Obi-Wan?s end, then went silent. Qui-Gon gasped and fell to his knees, grasping his head.

Hands gripped his shoulders. ?Qui! What?s wrong??

He took a moment to recover from the contact with his padawan before he looked up at his friend and Governor Selmet. ?Obi-Wan. I felt him for just a moment.? He swallowed heavily. ?Mace, he?s in horrible pain. We have to find him!?

Mace knelt down beside him. ?Could you tell where he was??

Qui-Gon thought back over the brief image he?d gotten from Obi-Wan. ?The contact lasted only a moment, but I sensed a feeling of desolation from the place. There was also a large stone with runes on it.?
    ?Runes would indicate an ancient place,? Selmet said. ?However, there are many such places on the planet. Could you tell what the runes said? That might help.?

?Let me think a moment.? With Mace?s help, Qui-Gon climbed to his feet. ?I only received a glimpse of the first part. I believe it said, ?Prepare ye for Iaomai.? Does that mean anything to you, Governor??

Selmet blanched white and slowly shook his head. ?No. Oh, Master Jinn, I?m so sorry. I had no idea that sect was still active. We?ve heard nothing of them in years.?

Fear for Obi-Wan made Qui-Gon grasp Selmet?s shoulder. ?Explain.?

Obi-Wan woke to a pounding skull and throbbing pain in his leg. He rubbed the top of his head, but jerked his hand back when the pain increased. His fingers came away wet. The coppery smell told him it was blood. Keeping his body still, he glanced around to try and determine where he was, but couldn?t see a thing. I hope that?s not because I?m blind. Concentrating on his other senses, he gathered clues to his whereabouts. The ground where he laid felt icy cold; stones dug into his back. The air felt moist and smelled of rotting fish. From the sound of lapping water and the reverberations of that sound, he concluded he must be near an underground lake of some kind.
    A splash in the water, like a plopping fish, echoed around the cavern. He suddenly noticed glowing spots on the rock walls. Some type of phosphorous

15. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    Obi-Wan had never felt so helpless in his life. He whimpered and clenched his eyes shut. ?Merciful Force, protect me.?

You are an evil woman, 'Merciful Force' save us from this evil author[face_devil]
    I am sure you could not resist leaving us and poor Obi-Wan dangling
    in front of fangs!o_O

Some one better write Obi-Wan out of this predicament, and
    fast before fang gets him. :eek:

wonderful update[:D] =D= :cool:

anxiously waiting for more. =D=

16. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    poor Obi
    And again an evil cliffie[face_devil]

Waiting to see more.

17. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Selmet blanched white and slowly shook his head. ?No. Oh, Master Jinn, I?m so sorry. I had no idea that sect was still active. We?ve heard nothing of them in years.?

Fear for Obi-Wan made Qui-Gon grasp Selmet?s shoulder. ?Explain.?

Bad, very bad. Fanatics - that is trouble, all right. Wonderful update - poor Obi.

18. azizah

azizah Jedi Master star 1

Sep 4, 2006
    A good stopping place :eek: only in the mind of an evil author. You better hurry up and write poor Obi-Wan out of there.

Another very interesting story. I like the fast pace and Qui-Gon's refusal to leave was great.

Thanks for the PM.

azizah

19. ZaraValinor

ZaraValinor Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2002
    Oh my, Obi-Wan is in big poodoo. It's a good think Qui-Gon is so stubborn.

20. Sabriel_Orion

Sabriel_Orion Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 29, 2008
    oh no! Poor Obi-Wan!

Hurry with the next chapter. XD Please.

21. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Ack! :eek: That cliffie was even more evil than the first one! [face_skull]

I'm glad Qui-Gon is looking for Obi, I was afraid he had been incapacitated or something. And Mace is there to help too, excellent! [face_love]

Now I hope that Qui and Mace can find Obi in time, before he's eaten by that big cave-creature thing! [face_worried]

Can't wait for more! :D

22. dimyavie

dimyavie Jedi Master star 1

May 3, 2006
    Well, I've just read the update and already I want another post too! Evil cliffhanger! Thanks for the update and the PM. Wonderful post :)

23. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    Thanks for all the wonderful feedback. I have in my mind what I want to write for the next chapter, but, unfortunately, I'm not feeling very well this afternoon. [face_sick] Alas, I won't get the next part posted until tomorrow. :_| Sorry, but hey, 2 out of 3 fics ain't bad for one day. :p

Toodles until tomorrow! :*

24. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    As promised, here's the next part. I had a lot of trouble writing this for some reason. Not sure why. Enjoy!

Chapter 3 ? Appearances Can Be Deceiving

?Please, Master Jinn, Master Windu.? Selmet indicated one of several cushioned chairs that sat in a semi-circle around the fireplace hearth.

He waited for both masters to be seated before joining them. ?Our people were once ruled by a powerful sect of? how shall I put this? fanatical fundamentalists. You must understand that these were ancient times, when people still worshipped many gods and made blood sacrifices. It was quite primitive.? He brushed some lint from his tunic. ?They condemned anything they didn?t understand as witchcraft, and so, you can imagine what happened to any Force sensitives they discovered in their midst.?

Qui-Gon leaned forward in his chair. ?Are you saying this sect still exists and that they kidnapped my padawan??

Selmet gave him a sympathetic look. ?It would appear so, Master Jinn. I am sorry.?

?How can you be so certain?? Mace asked.

?From Master Jinn?s mention of Iaomai. They believed her to be the guardian of the Portal? the underworld where souls went after death for judgment.? Selmet rose from his chair and selected a tattered, leather-bound book from the shelf by the fireplace. He leafed through pages, yellow and curled by untold years, before turning the book toward them. ?This is a depiction of Iaomai.?

A shudder ran through Qui-Gon as he gazed at a flat-pic image of a winged dragon-like creature. It reared up at the edge of a dark lake, wings spread, its eyes glowing red. Two men cowered at its feet while she ripped the head from a third man she gripped with her claws. Blood coated her muzzle and dripped down to a spreading pool at the men?s feet.

?They believed that Iaomai disposed of the condemned in a rather brutal fashion, as you can see.? He flipped the page, revealing another picture, this one of Iaomai placing the two remaining men before a tall, elderly man. To the left of the man was a cave, its mouth alight with red flame, to the right, a path that led to a sunlit meadow. ?Those Iaomai deemed worthy, she brought before Shamar, who would either condemn them to torment until such time as their souls were cleansed of their sins, or he granted them immediate passage through the Portal and into eternal paradise.?

Selmet closed the book. ?The sect was thought to have died out centuries ago, as our people progressed toward more enlightened thinking.?

Qui-Gon stood. ?Just where would we find the entrance to this Portal??

Selmet cleared his throat. ?You see, that?s the problem. As I said earlier, many ancient sites populate our world. Only one, however, contained what was thought to be the entrance to the Portal. From your description of the runes, Master Jinn, I?d say these fanatics found it and by now have more than likely thrown your apprentice into it.? He looked directly at Qui-Gon. ?If that?s the case, Padawan Kenobi may already be dead.?

Qui-Gon crossed his arms and glared at the governor. ?I know for a certainty Obi-Wan is still alive? hurt and in pain, but alive. Now, where do we begin looking for this Portal??

Selmet?s eyebrows rose. ?Well, there are one or two experts regarding this particular culture.?

?I realize you are a busy man, Governor Selmet,? Qui-Gon said. He glanced at Mace, who nodded. ?I appreciate your taking the time to help us, and I promise you, the Jedi Order will not forget it.?

The governor straightened. ?Why don?t you return to your quarters and freshen up? I?ll have a meal sent to you while my assistant makes the necessary inquiries.?

The giant creature studied Obi-Wan for a moment, as if curious. It sniffed the air and flicked its tongue. At least it wasn?t growling and baring its fangs.

I am Iaomai.

Shock and surprise seized Obi-Wan?s breath. The voice flowed through is mind, a female voice, soft and melodious. ?I must be hallucinating. It has to be the drug they injected me with.?

25. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Thats nice helped by a Force sensitive Snake.

Now Qui-Gon has to come and see this

Great update

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.