main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Lessons Learned (Obi, Qui, Ani, AU) Updated 2/23!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by jedidas3, Jun 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedidas3

jedidas3 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 25, 2007
    Title: Lessons Learned
    Author: jedidas3
    Timeframe: Between TPM and AOTC, AU
    Characters: Obi-Wan, Anakin, Qui-Gon, OC from prequels
    Summary: This is the sequel to the first two stories, ?The Truth Shall Set You Free? and ?The Best of Intentions? found in the Before the Saga forum. This story occurs about twelve to thirteen years after ?The Best of Intentions.?

Current PM list:
    Valairy_Scot
    bek
    Bastet
    wolf_kenobi
    ZaraValinor
    Gkilkenny

Part 1

He had not seen Obi-Wan this angry in quite a while. His former Padawan had become quite adept at controlling his emotions, but now, the man was struggling to speak a civil word to the Jedi Master.

?How dare you!? Obi-Wan growled at the Jedi Master. ?How dare you go to the Council and question my abilities as Anakin?s Master.?

?I was concerned,? Qui-Gon countered, trying to placate the Knight.

?Concerned about what??

?That it was becoming too much for you. You are under a great deal of pressure, especially from the Council and I was worried that it was interfering with your relationship with Anakin.?

?I assure you that you have nothing to be worried about, Qui-Gon. I am quite capable of handling myself and training Anakin.?

The icy bite in Obi-Wan?s words made Qui-Gon shudder. ?Obi-Wan, the Council shouldn?t have placed the burden of his training upon you. They should have??

?Have what, Master Jinn? The Council should have let you train him??

?Obi-Wan, I??

?No, no more excuses. You once told me that a Jedi accepts responsibilities for his own actions. Was that a lie??

?No.?

?Then why can?t you admit that what you did was wrong?? Obi-Wan demanded to know.

?Like I said, Obi-Wan, I thought I was doing what was best for you.?

?You can?t say it, can you? You can?t say that you were wrong??

?Obi-Wan, I??

Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn started awake at the now familiar sound of the shrill alarm of the machine that monitored the vital signs of the man lying in the bed. Shaking off the remnants of his dream, he stood up and pressed the button that would stop the irritating noise. Qui-Gon leaned over the agitated form, placing a comforting hand on the man?s shoulder.

?It?s all right, Obi-Wan,? the Jedi whispered, ?You?re not alone. Why don?t you open your eyes so you can see for yourself? You know that you?ve been sleeping through some of my best lectures. Of course, I?m sure that you?ve heard them all before. So, if you don?t want to hear them again, you better wake up.?

The young knight remained still, except for the occasional tremor of his hand. Qui-Gon sat back down and leaned back in his chair, studying his former Padawan. Time was supposed to heal all wounds, but it also sometimes created new ones. It had only been five years since Obi-Wan?s knighting and within that time, the Jedi had hoped the bond of friendship that they shared would continued to grow. But sadly, that had not happened.

The Jedi?s musings were interrupted as the door opened and Anakin Skywalker burst into the dimly lit room. The young man was slightly out of breath by the time he got to Obi-Wan?s side. Qui-Gon watched with the teen with interest as he reached for the Knight?s hand.

?Master, I?m here,? the youth softly reassured the man. ?Can you hear me? I know that you?re scared, but you really are safe.?

Qui-Gon silently urged Obi-Wan to listen to his Padawan and wake up. The Knight?s illness had been difficult on the youth, but Anakin?s belief in his Master?s recovery was unwavering. It had taken a tragedy for Qui-Gon to fully appreciate the relationship between Obi-Wan and Anakin. He had come to realize that the two younger men belonged together as Master and Padawan. He no longer questioned the Force in this matter, but the Jedi couldn?t help but wonder if it was too little, too late.

?He must have been dreaming,? Qui-Gon surmised.

?He wasn?t dreaming,? Anakin corrected. ?He was scared.?

?I see,? the Jedi Master softly answered. ?Could y

2. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Wow! :eek: That was an amazing first post! =D=

I can hardly wait to see where you take this.

I hope Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan can work out their differences. And Anakin is going to find out the truth...hope he takes it all in stride. The last thing Obi-Wan needs is a padawan who has doubts about his master.

Thanks for the PM!

3. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    My, how the mighty have fallen - oh, okay, that is not really the appropriate phrase. It's hard to see how such a close bond was so fractured, considering the relationship between Qui and Obi in the prequels to this.

I love how close Anakin is to Obi-Wan, though.

Can't wait for more - you could post every day and that wouldn't be often enough for me.

4. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I think you did a spectacular job with the opening dialogue. It couldn't have been better. Now I want to know more about why Qui went behind Obi's back and what Obi is really going to do about it.

Great job. Loved it.

5. JediKaren

JediKaren Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 26, 2007
    so will we find out what sort of training he went through when he left the temple?

6. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    Thank you for the PM[:D]

?How dare you!? Obi-Wan growled at the Jedi Master. ?How dare you go to the Council and question my abilities as Anakin?s Master.?

?I was concerned,? Qui-Gon countered, trying to placate the Knight.

Oh dear what have you done wrong this time Qui-Gon,:oops: and why didn't you want to train Anakin, or maybe you did but the council disagreed.[face_not_talking]

I can feel another interesting sequel, one with plenty of angst for Obi, and I must say I like the fact that Anakin does not appear to like Qui-Gon quite so much.

excellent=D=

7. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Wow, what a great start! :D

I'm sad, though, to see that Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon aren't very close anymore! :_| I hope they can reconcile eventually! [face_worried]

At least Obi is close to Anakin, I hope they stay that way. So even with Obi's special Force-connection, Anakin is still the Chosen One, huh? [face_thinking] I just hope he isn't destined to do what he did in cannon! :_|

And how did Obi-Wan end up in the healer's ward? He had a confrontation with Palps? [face_thinking]

Can't wait for more, I'm hooked already! :D And thanks for the PM! @};-

8. Bkcbookworm

Bkcbookworm Jedi Youngling

Dec 5, 2007
    Excelent, I can't wait to see what happens as the story continues now that Anakin has been added to the mix. Your Anakin seems so protective of Obi. Will that affect the Chosen One prophecy? Please update soon! :)

9. charie

charie Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 6, 2007
    Love This! PM please!

10. wolf_kenobi

wolf_kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 6, 2007
    Wow! This is a superb first post... which isn't surprising, given who the author is. ;)

Once again, I'm really liking your version of Anakin.:) He and Obi-Wan seem to have a much better relationship than in canon. I will be interested to see how things happened to bring them together.

The damage to Obi and Qui's relationship, though... :_| Hopefully they can find a way to reconcile. I am curious to find out what Qui-Gon did that could do such damage to the bond they shared. :(

And of course the Sith have to be involved. Trying to get their slimy hands on Obi...:mad: This is going to be interesting...

Looking forward to more!

11. all_othr_nams_tkn

all_othr_nams_tkn Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 25, 2007
    Are you still going to be writing siriwan or did that end with the Best of Intentions?

ohh and can you put me on the pm list please?

12. ZaraValinor

ZaraValinor Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2002
    I thought I had replied to this. But I tried so many times and always go interrupted.

I have a bad feeling about this. I think a certain Sith Lord has been trying to exact revenge on our Obi-Wan. Good thing Anakin and Qui-Gon are there.

13. jedidas3

Apr 25, 2007
    bek: Wow! That was an amazing first post!

I can hardly wait to see where you take this.

Thank you so much! [face_blush]

I hope Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan can work out their differences. And Anakin is going to find out the truth...hope he takes it all in stride. The last thing Obi-Wan needs is a padawan who has doubts about his master.

You are so right about that! Anakin is going to discover a lot of stuff about his Master that he never knew.

Valairy_Scot: My, how the mighty have fallen - oh, okay, that is not really the appropriate phrase. It's hard to see how such a close bond was so fractured, considering the relationship between Qui and Obi in the prequels to this.

You'll get to find out what happened between Qui and Obi soon enough.

Can't wait for more - you could post every day and that wouldn't be often enough for me.

[face_blush] what a sweet thing to say, my dear friend!

dianethx: I think you did a spectacular job with the opening dialogue. It couldn't have been better. Now I want to know more about why Qui went behind Obi's back and what Obi is really going to do about it.

Great job. Loved it.

Thank you so much, Master. I appreciate the suggestion and all you do to help me! As for Qui and Obi's relationship, that will be revealed. The good thing is that you'll get to find out before everybody else! ;)

JediKaren: You'll get to find out about Obi's training and what happened to Qui and Obi's relationship in the future. Thank you for reading!

Gkilkenny: Oh dear what have you done wrong this time Qui-Gon, and why didn't you want to train Anakin, or maybe you did but the council disagreed.

[face_whistling]

I can feel another interesting sequel, one with plenty of angst for Obi, and I must say I like the fact that Anakin does not appear to like Qui-Gon quite so much.

Thank you so much. As for Anakin, he is protective of his Master...but the question is how will he feel once Obi has told him the truth?[face_thinking]

Bastet: So many questions, my friend. Don't worry, they will be answered...eventually. Thank you for your kind words.[:D]

Bkcbookworm: Excelent, I can't wait to see what happens as the story continues now that Anakin has been added to the mix. Your Anakin seems so protective of Obi. Will that affect the Chosen One prophecy? Please update soon!

Thank you. The prophecy is affected somewhat, but I can't give too much away yet. I'll be working on the next update this week! ;)

charie: Thank you and I'd be happy to PM you! [:D]

wolf_kenobi: Wow! This is a superb first post... which isn't surprising, given who the author is.

[face_blush] What a sweet thing to say!

Once again, I'm really liking your version of Anakin. He and Obi-Wan seem to have a much better relationship than in canon. I will be interested to see how things happened to bring them together.

The damage to Obi and Qui's relationship, though... Hopefully they can find a way to reconcile. I am curious to find out what Qui-Gon did that could do such damage to the bond they shared.

We'll have to see...;) Thank you so much for reading!

all_othr_nams_tkn: Don't worry, Siri will be around. ;) I'd be more than happy to add you to the PM list. Thank you for asking!

ZaraValinor: I thought I had replied to this. But I tried so many times and always go interrupted.

No problem. I do that stuff all the time!

I have a bad feeling about this. I think a certain Sith Lord has been trying to exact revenge on our Obi-Wan. Good thing Anakin and Qui-Gon are there.

He's going to need both of them...that's for certain. Thank you so much for reading! [:D]

Well, vacation is over! I'll be working on the next post this week, so hopefully, you won't have to wait too long. Thank you all for your patience![:D]

14. EGKenobi

EGKenobi Jedi Master star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    Excellent star. Please PM me whenyou update this.

Many thanks.

I have greatly enjoyed the previous two, and I know this is going to be even better :)

EG

15. jedidas3

Apr 25, 2007
    EGKenobi: Thank you so much for your kind words and I'll be happy to PM you. Thanks for asking.[:D]

Yes! [face_dancing] With this post, I managed to update all three stories. Thank you all for your patience and I hope that you enjoy it!

Part 2

Anakin sat by his Master?s side, watching Obi-Wan sleep. He was thankful that Obi-Wan had awakened from his coma and he didn?t begrudge the Jedi his well-deserved rest, but the teen wanted to talk to his Master and find out what Obi-Wan had wanted to tell him. He knew that his Master had led a very difficult life, but he didn?t know why. Anakin imagined that life couldn?t have been easy with Qui-Gon Jinn.

He was glad that the Council had appointed Obi-Wan to be his Master. There had been a rather heated discussion about who was going to train the Chosen One. Anakin hated that name. Maybe that was one reason that he was drawn to his Master. Obi-Wan never thought of him as the Chosen One; he just accepted Anakin for who he was.

Qui-Gon Jinn had wanted to be the one to train him, but the Council had denied his request. He remembered the day that his fate was decided. It had been the best day of his life when Obi-Wan had braided some of his own hair into Anakin?s to form his Padawan braid. He had been so proud that he had missed the brief interchange between Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon. Looking back, he wished that he had paid more attention to what had been said between the two men; maybe then he would have been able to help Obi-Wan more.

The door opened to reveal the imposing figure of Master Qui-Gon Jinn. Anakin quickly rose from his seat and met the Jedi Master. He motioned for the Jedi to step back out in the hallway.

?I was just checking to see if he was all right,? Qui-Gon said.

?He?s sleeping and I don?t want you to disturb him.? Anakin stood in front of the Jedi Master, arms crossed, daring Qui-Gon to argue with him.

?That wasn?t my intention, Padawan. I merely wanted to??

?To what? Make his life more miserable??

Qui-Gon?s eyes narrowed. ?I suggest you watch your tone, Padawan. May I remind you that I?m a Jedi Master and you should address me accordingly??

?Yes, Master Jinn. My apologies. Now, if you?ll excuse me, I must get back to my Master.? Without waiting for the Jedi to dismiss him, Anakin turned his back on the Master and started to palm open the door. He felt a firm hand on his shoulder. He glanced back over his shoulder, his eyes narrowing at the tall Jedi.

?I will not tolerate such disrespect and neither would your Master,? Qui-Gon warned.

Anakin was frustrated. His patience with Master Qui-Gon Jinn had just about reached its limits. The irritating thing was that the Jedi Master was right. Obi-Wan had always stressed the importance of respecting others whether they were Jedi or not. That was one reason that his Master was cherished by so many. Obi-Wan never considered himself better than others, even a boy who had been raised as a slave.

?Again, I apologize, Master Jinn,? Anakin coolly stated.

?Apology accepted. Now, that we have that out of the way,? Qui-Gon continued, ?I would like to see Obi-Wan again before I retire for the evening.?

?I told you that he was sleeping, Master Jinn. Why do you have to see him now??

?I just wanted to be sure that he?s really all right. In the past, I?ve spent many days and nights by his bedside when he was ill or hurt. I guess old habits are hard to break,? the Jedi mused.

?Did you ever think?? Anakin paused when he sensed Obi-Wan reaching out through their bond.

//Padawan?//

//Master, are you all right?//

//I will be when you two stop arguing.//

//Master, I?m sorry. How did you know?//

//Both of you have a rather formidable presence in the Force. It?s kind of hard not to notice.//

//I?m sorry we disturbed you. Master Jinn wants to see you.//

For a moment, Anakin was beginning to think that Obi-Wan had drifted back off to sleep. He gently called out to him.

//Master?/

16. p_stotts

p_stotts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2001
    Wow! Thanks for the pm! I was hoping you'd write a sequel to The Best of Intentions. I just never expected you to jump ahead in time so far, but it's still a great choice. I certainly hope Obi and Qui can mend their broken relationship. Post again soon!

17. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon sat in silence. This was the first time in a long while had he seen his former mentor rendered speechless. Under other circumstances, Obi-Wan may have felt sorry for him, but now, he couldn?t. He couldn?t let their past history together affect the judgments that he made today or in the future. His priority was Anakin and training him to be the best Jedi that he could be.

?Is there anything else, Master Jinn?? Obi-Wan inquired, shattering the silence between them.

?I guess I?ve earned everything that you?ve said. I don?t know what I was thinking, coming in here and expecting you to act like nothing has ever happened. I don?t know how I?ll ever undo the damage between us, but I do swear that if it takes my last breath to do so, then so be it. Things will be right between us one day, Obi-Wan. I promise.?

Obi-Wan watched as Qui-Gon rose from his chair, his shoulders slumped in defeat. ?You should remember that I always keep my promises.?

?Except one,? Obi-Wan corrected.

?What was that??

?That you would stand by me no matter what,? Obi-Wan reminded him. ?I guess there are some things that even the great Qui-Gon Jinn can?t do.?

?I stood by you.?

?Yes, you did. Until it really mattered,? Obi-Wan retorted.

:_| Whoa, you really twisted that relationship around and summed it up wonderfully in just a few lines as above.

What a woderful interweaving of personalities, of the past and the present. It's another to make us other authors weep in shame - or try to emulate you. The "angst" is pure human, not overwrought and delicately handled - it's very real.

To make a reader cry for the character(s) and/or situation without the clear intent to do so (pure mush or angst) is a true gift.

18. wolf_kenobi

wolf_kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 6, 2007
    :_|

Touching and powerful emotion. Your writing is exquisite.

Wow, Qui-Gon tried push Obi-Wan and Anakin apart and questioned Obi-Wan's capabilities as a master in front of the Council- no wonder Obi-Wan isn't ready to forgive him! [face_frustrated]
    And yet, after all Qui did for Obi in "The Truth shall set you Free" and "The Best of Intentions" I do hope they can find reconciliation, however unlikely it now seems.:(

So now Obi-Wan is going to tell Anakin about his history... I wonder how he will react. [face_thinking]

Well done and looking forward to more! =D=

19. charie

charie Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 6, 2007
    Great post! I'm trying to catch up on "Intentions" now so I don't miss out on anything in the story. Too bad I couldn't just skip work for a day or two but I'm catching up a little every day. Also an awesome story. Thank you. I really appreciate being able to read these great stories "For Free!"I would pay money to read this stuff,you know.=D=

20. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    So they have had a falling out over Anakin.
    [face_shame_on_you] Shame Qui-Gon, I am sure it wasn't Obi-Wan who wanted to train Anakin but the council saw fit to do it.

They must realise that Obi-Wan should be the one.

Brilliant update.=D=

21. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Qui-Gon, how could you treat Obi-Wan like that?! :_| After all they had been through together. [face_frustrated]

I wonder what Anakin's reaction will be to Obi's story, I hope he's understanding! [face_worried]

That was a very excellent chapter, of course. :D

22. Obi-Odd13

Obi-Odd13 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 13, 2008
    Poor Obi-Wan! Seems like he got in a fight with old Palps - least I think it's old Palps - and got beat up pretty badly. Though he apparently got Palpatine pretty good too. :D

And I love how loyal and protective Anakin is of Obi-Wan. It's nice to see them working together and helping each other. And I'm glad Obi-Wan is gonna tell Anakin about his past, before it becomes something between them. :)

I do kinda feel bad for Qui-Gon though. Mostly 'cause he acted like such an idiot and is only now realizing this...:(

Could you add me to the PM list please? Thanks!

23. jedidas3

Apr 25, 2007
    p_stotts: I was hoping you'd write a sequel to The Best of Intentions. I just never expected you to jump ahead in time so far, but it's still a great choice. I certainly hope Obi and Qui can mend their broken relationship.

It's going to take some doing to mend their relationship and a lot of help from some well meaning friends. Thanks for reading and I'm glad you're enjoying it.[:D]

Valairy_Scot: What a woderful interweaving of personalities, of the past and the present. It's another to make us other authors weep in shame - or try to emulate you. The "angst" is pure human, not overwrought and delicately handled - it's very real.

To make a reader cry for the character(s) and/or situation without the clear intent to do so (pure mush or angst) is a true gift.

[face_blush] My friend, you are too kind. Thank you so much.[:D]

wolf_kenobi: So now Obi-Wan is going to tell Anakin about his history... I wonder how he will react.

Not as well as you might think. Thank you for your kind words. I really appreciate you reading this story! [:D]

charie: I'm trying to catch up on "Intentions" now so I don't miss out on anything in the story. Too bad I couldn't just skip work for a day or two but I'm catching up a little every day. Also an awesome story. Thank you. I really appreciate being able to read these great stories "For Free!"I would pay money to read this stuff,you know.

I'm so glad that you are enjoying these stories. They've been fun to write. Thank you so much for the kind words. [:D]

Gkilkenny: Yep, their fallout was over Anakin. You'll get to learn more in later posts. Thank you so much for reading! [:D]

Bastet: Thank you for your kind words. As for Anakin being very understanding, well...;)

Obi-Odd13: Thanks for your kind words. I'm so glad that you're enjoying it and I will more than happy to add your name to the list. Thank you for asking.[:D]

The next post is up! Thank you all so much for reading and for your continued support. I hope you all have a happy and safe 4th!

Part 3

?I take it that things didn?t go well,? the soul healer observed.

Qui-Gon Jinn merely shook his head, not trusting his voice to speak. To say that things had not gone well would be an understatement. Obi-Wan had not minced words, telling the Jedi exactly how he felt. Qui-Gon knew that he deserved every vindictive word that his former Padawan had uttered. He should not have gone in that room expecting Obi-Wan to forgive him. Why should the young Jedi forgive him? He couldn?t forgive himself.

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Anakin approaching them. He noticed that the Padawan seemed intent on ignoring the Masters. Qui-Gon wiped a stray tear as the youth entered Obi-Wan?s room. The Jedi fought the urge to look over his shoulder at the man lying in the bed.

He felt Miranda?s gentle touch on his arm. ?It?s going to take time,? she tried to assure him.

?I don?t think that time can heal what has happened between us,? Qui-Gon sadly replied. ?I?m not sure that anything will help at this point. Too many words have been exchanged that can not be taken back. Things will never be the same between us.?

?I refuse to believe that.?

The Jedi smiled at the healer. ?Miranda, you?re still the eternal optimist.?

?Somebody has to be,? she teased. ?After all these years of dealing with you two, I?ve still managed to retain my positive outlook.?

?It is rather amazing, isn?t it??

?I?ll say.?

Qui-Gon allowed the healer to guide him toward the lift. ?Let?s go and get something to eat and then we can talk,? Miranda suggested.

?I?m not hungry.?

?Of course you are.?

?No, I??

?Humor me, please.?

The Jedi knew that there was no use in arguing with the healer. He had yet to win an argument in all the years that they had known each other. ?All right,? he finally consented. ?I don?t guess I have

24. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    First reply! I understand Anakin's mixed feelings- that was played very well but at least he is processing the information.

25. ZaraValinor

ZaraValinor Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2002
    Ahh, just hit me in the head. I didn't post last time. [face_shame_on_you]

This is so heartwrenching to me. I can understand where Anakin is coming from, but at the same time, he needs to draw from what he knows of his Master. Thank goodness Siri is there just accept Obi-Wan as he is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.