main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Destinies Converge - JA, AU, angst, sequel to "YCHFD" and "Destiny's Child"

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by p_stotts, May 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. p_stotts

p_stotts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2001
    ?Destinies Converge?
    BY: p_stotts
    RATING: PG-13, possible violence (I?ll just have to see where the story goes)
    CATEGORY: JA, AU, angst, possible Obi or Qui torture (I don?t know for sure yet)
    SETTING: 6 years pre-TPM, Obi-Wan is 19. Sequel to ?You Can?t Hide From Destiny,?
    and ?Destiny?s Child.? I would definitely recommend you at least read YCHFD before
    reading this or it won?t make much sense.
    SUMMARY: Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan are called to investigate an assassination.
    DISCLAIMER: I don?t claim to own them, but I would like to just claim them.
    FEEDBACK is welcome all day, every day.
    SPECIAL THANKS TO Moonscribe, my beta-buddy for all you help, suggestions, and
    putting up with all my plot bunnies.

Part 1

Qui-Gon Jinn groaned at the sound of his comlink going off. Slowly raising his head off his pillow, he stared bleary-eyed towards where he?d draped his utility belt across the back of a chair the night before.

Wondering why someone was calling on his comlink instead of the apartment com unit, he extended his hand and summoned the device with the Force, feeling too lazy to get out of bed.

He and his apprentice, Obi-Wan Kenobi had returned from their most recent mission late the night before, and had both gone directly to bed upon entering their quarters. A quick check along their training bond told Qui-Gon that the young man was still sound asleep. /Good...at least one of us will get to sleep in./

?What?? he all but barked into the comlink. He was irritated at being awakened so early after such an exhausting mission, and he really didn?t care how he sounded. Whoever was calling would just have to deal with it.

?Qui-Gon??

It was Mace Windu. ?Force, Mace,? Qui-Gon scolded, ?don?t you know how early it is? Obi-Wan and I didn?t get back until late last night, and you of all people know how
    difficult our mission was...?

?Qui-Gon,? Mace interrupted softly.

Something in Mace?s tone of voice caught Qui-Gon?s attention, and he was instantly alert. ?What is it, Mace? What?s wrong??

?Can you meet with Yoda and me in the Council chamber in ten minutes...alone??

?I?ll be there in five,? answered Qui-Gon as he threw back the covers and jumped out of
    bed. Dressing quickly and silently, he took only a moment to leave a note for Obi-Wan before exiting the apartment.

Qui-Gon bowed to the two Jedi masters as he entered the Council chamber, silently
    waiting for them to speak.

?Sorry to pull you out of bed so early, Qui,? Mace apologized. ?We wanted to speak with you privately before Obi-Wan woke up.?

?What?s this all about?? frowned Qui-Gon, concerned that they didn?t want to include his apprentice in this conversation...whatever it was about.

?Supreme Chancellor Valorum contacted us late yesterday evening,? Mace explained.
    ?There?s no easy way to say this, Qui...Prime Minister Narkus Palentine was assassinated yesterday afternoon.?

Qui-Gon?s face drained of all color. Now he knew why Yoda and Mace hadn?t wanted to include Obi-Wan in this meeting, and he was grateful for their consideration. Prime
    Minister Palentine had all but been a surrogate father to Obi-Wan during his time on
    Regalta IV. The young man would be devastated when he found out.

?What happened?? Qui-Gon asked.

Mace glanced at Yoda, who nodded for the dark-skinned master to continue. ?Details are still sketchy, but evidently a bomb had been planted in his aircar...he wasn?t the only one killed, either. His nine-year-old son was in the aircar with him, as well as his current chief of security.

An image of the serious, petite, dark-haired woman that was Obi-Wan?s successor to that position flashed in Qui-Gon?s mind. Obi-Wan had had every confidence that Sade would do an excellent job as chief of security for Prime Minister Palentine. Evidently, that wasn?t the case.

?Sade survived the bombing, and remains in critical condition,? Mace continued, ?but, they don?t expect her to live.?

?Requested Jedi to investigate they have,? Yoda put in, speaking up for the first

2. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    A good start! Where do you get all your plot bunnies from? Poor Obi-Wan, he must be devastated. That was sad about Palentine's son, too. I wonder if Obi-Wan will have trouble being a Jedi while investigating this, keeping his focus and everything.

3. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    Thanks, Jane Jinn! I'm so glad you enjoy my stories. I can always count on you for supportive feedback, and I always enjoy your observations. As to where I get my plot bunnies...well, bunnies will multiply given time and the right environment. I seem to get my best ideas while either soaking in the bathtub or doing dishes. Hmm...must be something in the water. Ya think? :D

4. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    *runs downstairs to take the dishes out of the dishwasher and do them by hand*

"Come to me, plot bunnies!"

5. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    LOL! You're too much, Jane Jinn! [face_laugh]

6. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Peggy, fabulous start!!!

First post already gets a 'poor Obi'!! This promises to be a most wonderful thread.
    :) :)

7. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    Thanks, Leona! Glad you like it.

8. Kelly Kenobi

Kelly Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2000
    Fabulous start, I too must add my "Poor Obi". Only the first post and I am hooked!

Can't wait for more!!

LOL Jane..... please do what you must to get those bunnies biting :D :D :D

9. LadyVorgunby

LadyVorgunby Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2000
    i throw in my "poor obi" to join the chorus of others...

it's off to a wonderful start Peggy, and it certainly looks interesting, especially since there is bound to be torture involved, at least emotional :)

wait, did I say that out loud ;)

10. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    Yes you did, Lady V! But, you're only voicing what we all feel. Thanks for the feedback...you too, Kelly Kenobi. I should have another post ready for tomorrow...I'm still working on it, though.

11. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    Wow! Excellent post Peggy! Poor Obi-Dearest! I'll comfort him... ;)

12. Obi the Kid

Obi the Kid Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    WOW! A sequel and a great start!! MORE!!!!

13. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    Thanks Lunetta and Obi the Kid. I just finished writing part 2, so there will be a post tomorrow. :D

14. TrianaJinn

TrianaJinn Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 14, 2001
    Fabulous start, Peggy!

15. JediKnightZarc

JediKnightZarc Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2000
    Ohhhh! I love Obi's reaction! Poor kid. I'm anxious to see what happens next!

16. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    Oh no, not Narkus! If it wasn't for him, Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon would never have gotten back together again. :_| And his young son, too! :_|

Poor Obi . . . Nice reaction, though, the first moments of denial, then the anger/sorrow. I have to wonder how well Obi will handle investigating their deaths. Heaven help anyone who gets in his way during the investigation, and when he finds the ones who did it . . . that should be an interesting scene.

I'll admit that I'm warped enough to be looking forward to some Obi-angst/torture and the wonderful mush that comes afterwards!

Looking forward to your next post.

17. Whiskey in the Jar-Jar

Whiskey in the Jar-Jar Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 17, 2000
    Thanks for the PM, Peggy.

This one looks like it'll be a good one. Can't wait to read more.

18. MADAMN_OBIGON_KENOBI

MADAMN_OBIGON_KENOBI Jedi Youngling

May 29, 2001
    Hi as you can see i'm a newby to this experience but i love this stoy and the previous stories. ya gotta keep on writing.

19. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    I wanted to post earlier but the forums wouldn't let me.

Great start, Peggy! I admit I'm not familiar with this series but I'm really liking what I see so far. :)

20. KSkywalker

KSkywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 7, 1998
    Yea!!! A new story!! Thank You! I was wondering how I would deal with my withdrawel pains!

21. Abbi_Cee

Abbi_Cee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2000
    Wow! Jumping straight into the angst first thing! ;) As so many others have observed, Poor Obi. It is bad enough that Palantine is dead, but his son too. I sense great guilt building. Looking to the next post.

22. Broken-Sabre

Broken-Sabre Jedi Youngling star 2

May 13, 2001
    Oh wow, poor Obi, excuse me I need to go find a tissue :_| powerful stuff

23. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    Thanks everyone...and definitely read the other two stories Darth Pipes! Don't have time for anything other than a quick post this morning. Going fishing with hubby and sons! Here's part 2. Hope to get part 3 written later in time to post tomorrow.

Part 2

Obi-Wan sat in the cockpit of their Republic transport staring out the viewport. He and
    his master were into the second night of their journey to Regalta IV. They?d spent the
    past two days alternating between reviewing data on the assassination, and sparring in the common area of the transport. Qui-Gon had hoped that by tiring his apprentice, both mentally and physically, he?d be able to get the rest he?d need...but so far his plan hadn?t been very effective.

?Still can?t sleep??

Turning at the sound of his master?s voice, Obi-Wan gave him a sad smile. ?No. I just
    can?t get my mind to shut down,? he sighed. ?I guess I?ll sleep when my body can?t go
    anymore. Right now, I?m too wired...too much to think about.?

?I understand,? said Qui-Gon, giving the young man?s shoulder an affectionate squeeze, and then taking a seat next to him. ?Do you want to talk about it??

Obi-Wan hesitated a moment, looking at his master with sadness and regret. ?Not yet,? he answered finally. ?But...I might like to take you up on that offer later.?

?Anytime, Padawan,? replied Qui-Gon, patting Obi-Wan?s leg as he got up and exited the cockpit. ?Anytime at all,? he added before the compartment door closed behind him.

The sight of Regalta IV in the viewscreen should have stirred excitement and pleasant
    anticipation in Obi-Wan, but now all he felt was dread and intense sadness. He was glad that Palentine?s widow had requested he and Qui-Gon be the ones to investigate the assassination, but he hated the idea of having to face the family and staff of the late Prime Minister...feeling that somehow, he was responsible for this...that he?d let them down.

Closing his eyes and taking a deep, calming breath, Obi-Wan nosed the transport down into the planet?s atmosphere, heading it toward the spaceport.

Qui-Gon turned to his apprentice once their transport had finished docking. ?Ready??

?As much as I?m going to be at this point,? answered Obi-Wan as he eased out of the
    pilot?s seat.

Qui-Gon gave him an encouraging smile, patting him gently on the shoulder before
    following Obi-Wan out of the cockpit.

Obi-Wan didn?t recognize the staff member that was there to greet them, but he figured a lot of things had changed in his absence, and even though he?d kept in contact with Palentine over the preceeding year, the Prime Minister couldn?t have been expected to inform him of every employee change.

?Welcome Master Jinn...Padawan Kenobi,? greeted the pale-skinned, human man as they exited their transport. ?I?m Aldo Calburn, the acting chief of security for the interim Prime Minister.?

Obi-Wan was surprised by the introduction, although he guessed he really shouldn?t be. If Sade was still critical, then of course she wouldn?t be able to fulfill her duties, and an acting head of security would have taken over.

?I wish we could say it was a pleasure to meet you, Chief Calburn,? replied Qui-Gon,
    ?but, under the circumstances...?

?I understand perfectly, Master Jinn,? the man replied, glancing at Obi-Wan to include him in the conversation. ?We are glad you?re here. Interim Prime Minister Palentine is
    anxious to find the parties responsible for her husband?s death.?

Qui-Gon raised his eyebrows in surprise. They hadn?t received word on who the interim Prime Minister was, and he was shocked to find out that Palentine?s widow had taken over her late husband?s duties.

?How is Mistress Palentine?? asked Obi-Wan.

?Still in shock, I think,? replied Calburn. ?But, she?s carrying out her late husband?s
    duties with courage and grace. I have no doubt that the parliament will approve her to
    complete the term of her late husband?s office.?

?Yes...I think that would be wise,? agreed Obi-Wan. ?She always did take an active

24. Obi the Kid

Obi the Kid Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    Very nice. Obi is trying so hard to be strong, but now he's diving right into things...he can only hold out for so long. Great post!

25. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Poor Obi-Wan! He should go ahead and cry. Palentine was like a father to him and as Rani so nicely pointed out, Obi-Wan might well have been able to prevent his death, even just by being there, so no doubt he feels very guilty, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.