main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Qui-Gon Jinn's Excellent Adventure - COMPLETE - QGJ, OC, a little OWK - 18-Nov-2008

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ardavenport, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Title: Qui-Gon Jinn's Excellent Adventure
    Author: ardavenport
    Timeframe: Before the Saga
    Genre: drama, humor
    Characters: Qui-Gon Jinn, OCs, Jedi
    Keywords Qui-Gon Jinn, Jedi
    Summary: Qui-Gon Jinn falls into an unusual adventure.
    Note: typo is my middle name, with missing words and errors that spell checkers don?t catch being my speciality ? if you see any, just post a reply or send a PM with the what and where and I will kill them with no mercy.
    Disclaimer: All characters belong to George and Lucasfilm; I?m just playing in their sandbox

CRAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Crikitaticacrikitaticacrikitatica-crik-it-a-tic-a-crik-it-a-tic-a-crik-it-a-tic-a Crik it a tic a Crik it a tic a crik . . .itc. . .a. . .ti. . .a. . . crik . . .it. . .a. . .tic. . .a. . . crik . . .it. . .a. . .tic. . .a. . . . . .crik. . . . . .it. . . . . .a. . . . .

Tic.

A droid head snapped upward to see a body, illuminated from the sunlight above, descending, gaining speed, plunging to the floor.

And then inexplicably slowing down before impact.

Thud.

Other droids, tethered to the walls, clicked on and looked toward the body, unmoving on the floor, amidst the rubble of transparasteel and broken struts.

A line of sentry droids twitched with suppressed action, overridden by their active maintenance programs. Floor cleaners clicked and bleeped, but remained tethered to their recharge sockets. Bulky blue load lifters grumbled in place; one with broken left arm gears made a faint grinding noise. Square eye sensors on metal stalks swivelled to look, even the ones dark and dysfunctional. Plastiform bodies jostled each other in a big wire enclosure on one side of the huge room before settling down.

The body remained motionless.

One sentry droid vocalizer hummed with a modulated voice sound before falling silent. Activity lights blinked back to standby or went out.

An arm moved, the dark brown fabric on it dragging broken wreckage and transparisteel dust with it. Haltingly, the arm rose up, flipping the body over on its side. Plastisteel bits and shards fell clinking down to the floor as legs moved and arms pushed the body upright. And then stood. A few stagging steps dislodged more bits as a tall dark brown robe moved out of the direct light, into the shadows.

A door slid open. A long, distorted rectangle of pale yellow, light spread over the floor. Then a shadow darkened that. The room's own artificial lights came on.

"Whoa!"

Qui-Gon Jinn whirled, his hand going to the lightsaber clipped to his belt. But instinct froze the action and he did not draw the weapon.

The newcomer came in. Droids all along the walls of what was clearly a maintenance bay activated, their attention drawn to a male Human, as tall as Qui-Gon, with similar long brown hair hanging down all around his young but lined face and a fuzzy ball of a beard on his chin. He wore a loose gray shirt and baggy pants on his slender body.

"Whoa!" he repeated before noticing Qui-Gon. "Who are you, dude?"

"I was sent," Qui-Gon said, straightening his robe. More fragments fell away from the rough cloth. "To look at the window." He pointed upward.

"Whoa!" the younger Human said, craning his neck upward, apparently noticing the broken skylight for the first time. "Whoa. That's serious."

A rumble from the roof through the hole above. A huge armored droid transport darkened the blue sky. Voices on a com came closer. Qui-Gon stepped back, away from skylight, while the Human moved to stand directly under it. A helmeted head appeared and called down.

"Togi! We're under attack!"

"Yeah, man! I saw all the alerts!" Togi shouted back.

"We've got a perimeter penetration! We think a Jedi got through! Have you seen anything?"

"Uh?" Togi put a hand to his beard before turning to Qui-Gon. "Hey man, have you seen any Jedi around here?"

"No," Qui-Gon lied, shaking his head. "I have not."

Togi looked back up.

"Haven't seen any

2. Master_Tigris_Leigh

Master_Tigris_Leigh Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 10, 2004
    [face_laugh] That was great. I love how oblivious they are. Can't wait to see how Obi fits into all of this. :D Post more soon!

3. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Loved it! If you're sending out PMs, I'd appreciate being on the list.

=D=

4. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Togi seems to be a bit oblivious. LOL on Qui-Gon lying and Togi believing it - all without mind tricks.

Good job.

5. Seremela

Seremela Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 12, 2008
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] That totally cracked me up!!!

And well, if Qui-Gon hasn't looked in a mirror, one could say he didn't really lie O:)

Love the discriptions. And Togi. And I'm very curious as to what these 'dudes' are up to that needs a Jedi intervention!

If you do pm's, I would very much appreciate to be on the list.

6. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Lovely and humorous beginning[face_laugh]=D=

7. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Master_Tigris_Leigh: Thanks! I admit that Obi-Wan turns up only a little bit, since it's mostly Qui-Gon's adventure, but putting him in the header gives a timeframe for how old Qui-Gon is.

VaderLVR64: Thanks for reading! :)

dianethx: Thank-you! Togi is oblivious in his own way, but I don't think Qui-Gon minds.

Seremela: Well, if Qui-Gon hasn't looked in a mirror, then I suppose technically he hasn't seen a Jedi, but I think he knows he's fibbing. Thanks for reading!

earlybird-obi-wan: Thank-you! :)

8. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004

***** ***** ***** ***** Part 2

Qui-Gon followed Togi out of the maintenance bay. The younger man strolled ahead, swinging his arms as he led Qui-Gon down a bare, gray duracreet corridor, the white lighting panels in the ceiling not very far above their heads. Togi turned left, then right and then stopped at a bright orange door with yellow and black security warnings striping its middle. Togi paused at an ID scanner while Qui-Gon stayed back. Then he stood in the doorway, blocking it, allowing Qui-Gon to pass through.

Towers of glowing blue-green data stacks rose high up to the ceiling on either side, forming a corridor. Togi led Qui-Gon to a turn to the left and then stepped down into a room surrounded by image screens, com panels, terminals, inputs, computers, network monitors, status screens, outputs, power monitors and controls, and environment controls. Perimeter alerts flashed red on one panel, indicating the place where Qui-Gon had gotten under the outer shields. The computers and power systems before them hummed with information.

Qui-Gon looked all around the room. He casually pushed his robe back and placed a hand on his lightsaber. He began mentally calculating which thing would be more advantageous to destroy first.

"Great, isn't it," Togi said, completely misreading Qui-Gon's interest. He flopped into a cushioned green seat at a central terminal. "I've got everything wired through here. Kakard's whole operation. Air, power, coms, data pass-thrus, sensors, satellites. Course I don't have any of the battle or defense stuff. Kakard doesn't let anybody else run that. But he can't do anything without power from me." Togi proudly patted his chest.

"I see. Very impressive." Qui-Gon spotted a row of wall panels with several thick cables connecting adjoining input and output sockets., along with monitors and a big map showing the power conduit activity to all the buildings, bunkers and underground installations of Kakard's compound.

"But don't worry!" Togi held up a warning hand. "I've got this whole node mirrored on the other side of the compound. As soon as anything, ANYTHING goes wrong here, the secondary site kicks in. Course, there's only droids running it, but that's enough to keep it running until I can get this place locked down. You wouldn't even see the lights blink."

"Aaah, I see. Very sensible." Qui-Gon took his hand off his lightsaber. He then raised it to the man sitting before him. "But things would run much better if we shut down the power from here. Without activating any of the security alarms."

Togi's eyes lost what focus they had. For a moment.

"Hmmmm, I dunno, man. Kakard's pretty uptight about things. He gets realy mad if things aren't running the way he likes. Whoa, that dude's scary.

"But he's a great guy to work for!" Togi added hastily, hands up in affirmation. "He treats us all right, cause he's got a sweat deal goin' on here. He's like the boss-big-man of this whole sector. No trade goes on around this patch of space without him getting his cut first. And if anyone gets out of line, he just blasts down outta hyperspace and rapes and pillages what he wants. They start paying after that." Togi laughed.

Qui-Gon frowned. Togi's praise of the ruthless warlord was shallow, devoid of any experience or real comprehension of what raping and pillages really meant. And it had nothing whatsoever to do with what the Jedi was trying to get the man to do.

Feeling the Force in himself, connecting to everything around, his thoughts intent on what needed to be done, Qui-Gon passing his hand before Togi again.

"I'm sure Kakard wouldn't mind if you shut the power down. In fact, I'm sure he would be pleased if you took the initiative."

"Oh man, you don't know him," Togi denied emphatically, oblivious to the fact that Qui-Gon was telling him he should shut down the power to the warlord's entire compound. "He's like supernova uptight about having everything his way. Like everyone has to call him '

9. Seremela

Jul 12, 2008
    OMG, the way Togi just kept talking right around Qui-Gon's attempst to influence him!!! [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

A good thing he doesn't shut up, or Qui-Gon would have made a grave error. And actually, while Togi makes it all very funny, he's not in a good situation at all in that base..... with yet another alarm going off.... not good at all.

Thanks for the pm, I'm eagerly waiting for the next part!

10. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    I LOVE Togi! :D

=D=

11. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    ***** ***** ***** ***** Part 3

"Oh!"

Togi went to his terminal, sat down and swivelled his chair around, his arms spread wide, fingers ready for the controls.

"Whoa! They're moving in some heavy-lift fire power up there."

Three new white triangles appeared, Republic cruisers joining the other ships. Kakard's ships remained concealed in hidden mountain hangars, waiting for the enemy to attack first and reveal vulnerabilities. A massive shield bubble, powered by seven huge plasma generators buried deep underground, protected the compound and most of the steep valley it occupied from any orbital bombardment. The battle waited to begin, each side alert for an advantage.

Togi's hands flew over the controls. Qui-Gon went to the right of the man's chair and - - first removing one sleeve and then the other while still holding the pipe - - he let his robe drop to the floor, sat down on it and crossed his legs.

"Yeah, everybody has to get on the coms to talk for these things," Togi said while effortlessly manipulating the action on his screens. A tangle of yellow lines unscrambled and straightened. A pileup of pink dots drained into a pair of blue lines and marched off screen.

"They're all tying up the links, using a lot memory." Lights flashed from orange to green. It seemed that Togi himself was the node in the control room. Granting permissions, delegating lesser tasks to the computers and other operators, checking readouts and data flows.

"They are worried about he alert. The perimeter has been breached. If there is an attack, they may lose contact," Qui-Gon commented.

"No way! All our lines are triple hardened through solid rock. And asymmetrically encrypted. RSA-Diffle, AES-SSH. We got it all. If that Jedi got in here to break into our coms, he just better like eating hash." Togi grinned and his fingers danced faster.

The transformation was stunning. The slack-brained man had become a techno-wizard with machine-like focus. This was where Togi's put all his intellect, which appeared to be considerable after all. Qui-Gon casually transferred the pipe to his left hand and held it positioned below the chair's armrest allowing the aroma to drift up to Togi. Qui-Gon kept his own breathing shallow and cautious. Spices were tricky; their poisons could not be so easily eliminated through an increase in metabolism or change of blood flow, especially if the source of it was still active.

Togi pointed at a dark blue screen with moving red dots, indicating the search pattern of the compound's security forces, still looking for an intruder.

"Whoa, they're using like everyone they got looking for that Jedi. Must be some kind of hyper-line bad bogie to get in through the shields. I mean, I don't know much about Jedi. I only know about what I got in civics class, and y'know, if it didn't have anything to do with droids or computers it pretty much blew over my head," Togi said with some pride, which mystified Qui-Gon.

"These Jedi are like, supposed to be the Republic's top guys. Like they can fly and they're really fast and they're supposed to have really big heads, and they have these laser beams that come shooting out of their eyes into your brain, man. Just like a datalink. Just like that." Togi tapped a control with extra emphasis.

Qui-Gon said nothing. Togi's knowledge of Jedi seemed to be a vague and scrambled collection of some of the worst misconceptions that circulated about Jedi. Though sadly, Qui-Gon had heard worse.

Most of the screens had gone green after the burst of activity initiated by the arrival of new attack ships. Togi suddenly turned and looked down at his guest.

"Hey, how's the wap, man? Smells really good," he asked with some longing in his voice.

"Oh, quite excellent," Qui-Gon answered, hastily holding up the pipe.

Togi sighed and turned back to his screens. "Whoa, it's going to be good when I get mine." He tapped one control, then another, but the demand for his services seemed to have ebbed.

Qui-Gon made nois

12. Seremela

Jul 12, 2008
    That spice sure doesn't seem to have any real effect on Togi [face_laugh] I'm more worried about how Qui-Gon will manage to handle it at this point [face_devil]

Love how Togi is proud how he doesn't get things beyond computers and droids - and that his attitude puzzles Qui-Gon.

And now Qui-Gon seems to have a revelation - I hope it will help him in his cause!

13. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    I love your portrayal of Qui-Gon! =D=

14. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Seremela: Well, it does take a little time for the spice to have some effect. [face_mischief] Togi has a very narrow focus on computers (and spice). Qui-Gon has a fairly narrow focus on the Force, but its nowhere near as narrow as Togi's and he does not understand being proud of not knowing things. Thanks for the reply!

VaderLVR64: Thank-you. :) Qui-Gon is fun to write.

15. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    ***** ***** ***** ***** Part 4

A bleeping alarm alerted Togi out of his diagnostics-induced stupor. The green indicators for the coms to the backup site had all gone yellow.

"Whoa. That's bad."

As soon as his attention went to the backup node coms Qui-Gon used the Force to pause all the diagnostics, the screens at the main terminal freezing up in mid-process.

Watching from behind, Qui-Gon reset every control Togi touched as soon as he went on to something else. Togi devoted his whole attention to restoring the coms to the backup site, but everything he did made it worse since Qui-Gon was changing all the settings he thought were fixed. The problems rapidly multiplied. Qui-Gon put Togi's pipe back by the main terminal.

"Oh, whoa!"

Togi pushed his chair back and stared upward. Most of the indicators were red, the screens full of bluish static.

"Is it supposed to look like that?" Qui-Gon asked innocently.

"No man. This is really bad. We don't have any coms to the backup node control and they're stuck in diagnostics. They'll never see if anything happens here. This has like, never happened before. I don't know how I'm going to fix it. Kakard's gonna to be really mad."

"Aaaah," Qui-Gon nodded to himself, well satisfied with the result. Now all he had to do was disable the power systems so the Republic and Yumis ships could engage the warlord's forces with an advantage. He turned toward the cabled panels. They jounced up and down in his vision. He lifted his hand, reaching for the Force to pull out one of the cables.

Qui-Gon wondered why he was still nodding his head.

He stopped.

And realized he no longer had any peripheral vision, just a mauve fog on either side of him.

Concentrating, his hand pushed outward.

Nothing happened.

Qui-Gon sagged. Once he realized that he was being affected by the wap, that had broken the reality of his focus. The Force swirled around him now in a confusing purple mix of increasing hallucination and malaise. Present, disturbed and untouchable. He could do nothing for it. Or with it.

This had been a risk he had accepted, he acknowledged to himself. He lurched to his feet and waited for the room to settle around him.

"Oh, no!" Togi exclaimed, finally realizing that his original diagnostic routines were paused. He pushed his chair back to the central terminal, hastily touching controls, while Qui-Gon staggered across the room to his goal.

Sometimes the simplest methods were the quickest, Qui-Gon decided, tugging his lightsaber from his belt.

Bbbbbzzzzzztttt-aaaackkkkkk-kkkiiii-ZZZZZZZZZZTTTT-kiiiitttttt-ttttzzzzz-aaaakkkkkkk-iiiiitt!!!

The bright green plasma blade cut a diagonal slash across metaloid and cables with ease. Power control conduits sizzled and popped. Qui-Gon withdrew and plunged it in again, making an 'X', partially melted metaloid sagging at the edges. Then he made a circle right in the middle of the map of the compound. Just to be sure.

Qui-Gon extinguished his lightsaber and stepped back to look at his work.

And kept going.

Back and - - -

- - - back and - - -

- - - down.

Until he rolled into a barely controlled backward fall that did not stop until he was flat on the floor. At least Qui-Gon thought he was flat. The surface under him felt strangely and pleasantly mobile, like being on a water craft without stabilizers.

Blinking, Qui-Gon lifted his head. All the indicator lights on and around the damaged panels had gone dark.

"Whoa, man. What is that thing?" Togi asked from his seat at the terminal, more screens anxiously turning red and flashing blue and white behind him.

"This?" Qui-Gon asked, holding up his lightsaber hilt. "I use it to fix the windows," he said.

Qui-Gon dropped his head; it thudded on the floor, but he thought it sounded worse than it felt.

"Oh. Wow. . . . . . that must work great."

An alarm blared inside the control node room and outside in the corridor. It echoed, whooshing up and down, in the purple fog. Tog

16. Seremela

Jul 12, 2008
    :( poor Qui-Gon, he's in serious trouble here. His whole world has gone askew - but he still keeps it together as much as he can [face_love] Loved how, when the drug affected him, he resorted to the simple method of destruction :D

You write how Qui-Gon feels under the drug so well, and how, by his tremendous will, he still managed to keep it together enough to follow things. Even managed to think some things true like locking the door might be a good idea. And how he reacts to Ki-Adi Mundi..... [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

His intoxication is another blot on his record I'm sure, even if he managed to get the desired results [face_whistling]

But I do hope they'll get him out of there like he asks, because I think he needs some fresh air fast!

Looking forward to the next part =D=

17. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    [face_laugh] Excellent work! =D=

18. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    This is very funny. I especially liked Qui-Gon telling Togi that Ki-Adi's saber was completely different from his. [face_laugh] Qui seems to be keeping it together only by the skin of his teeth. I can only imagine what he'll say when he gets sober again.

Great job.

19. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    whoa...really funny dude!

20. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004

Seremela: Aaaaah, even quite stoned, a Jedi can still wield a lightsaber. ;) I think being stoned minimized what Qui-Gon can do, but he's still himself, at least with this recreational drug. But it looks a little bad for him, except that he has got results. Thanks for reading!

VaderLVR64: Thanks! :)

dianethx: Thank-you. While Qui-Gon may not have any tolerance for the drug, I think that even if he's very high, he is still Qui-Gon, just not functioning very well and unhappy about it. Poor guy.

PadawanKitara: Thank-you!

21. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004

***** ***** ***** ***** Part 5

The fabric of his clothes pulled on him, cutting under his arms uncomfortably. Qui-Gon tried to shift position to loosen them. But he couldn't. Eyes opening a crack, Qui-Gon saw gray walls moving by, a broad gray-uniformed back, arms carrying his legs and daylight streaming through an approaching door. Obi-Wan walked on his right; he face forward, toward the growing light.

Two strong arms supported Qui-Gon under his arms where Ki-Adi Mundi carried him.

They came out into a brightly lit courtyard strewn with rubble and the aftermath of battle, charred, broken buildings, droid wreckage and bodies. There were people yelling, gray Republic uniforms and dark green Yumis uniforms running about. And prisoners.

"Hey man, I forgot my pipe. Did any of you pick it up?" Togi asked, somewhere amidst the hubub of security and machines.

Qui-Gon tensed, inhaling deeply the smell of burning plastoids, rock and . . . . .

. . . . . cool fresh air.

The anesthetizing comfort from Togi's recreational drug suddenly ran out of him, like water down a drain. Obi-Wan's head snapped back to him, blue-gray eyes wide.

Lurching to his left, his body spasming, Qui-Gon emptied his stomach. A wet splattering sound followed. Qui-Gon's booted feet hit the ground hard as they were dropped. Mundi swiftly lowered him to the ground. His fellow Jedi Master held him, arms wrapped around his broad chest.

"Control, Master Qui-Gon. Control," Mundi's high, gentle voice told him, close to his ear.

Panting, Qui-Gon let his head drop. In the wake of the drug haze remained the Force. Alive and reinforced by Mundi's presence. And within reach.

Spasming again, Qui-Gon deliberately purged what was left inside him, the partially digested remains of some meal, eaten earlier in the day before he went down to the planet in a single stealthy capsule to enter the warlord's stronghold and sabotage its defenses. His mouth and sinuses burned with stomach acids and undigested bits.

A clear water bladder appeared before him, and he accepted it, sucking from the ready tube. He washed his mouth and spitting it out repeatedly, and even forcing it all the way up his sinuses and out in a spray from his nose. Then he drank, replacing some of what had been rejected with new fluid. He then lifted it high and squeezed, squirting a stream of water on his head and down his face. The drying moisture cooled and revived him further. He could now feel Ki-Adi Mundi breathing with him. Strength flowed into his body from his fellow Jedi, a nourishment far deeper and more intense than what he had just lost. And with it came the reassuring sense from Mundi that they had all fallen low and needed help to stand again. Qui-Gon sighed gratefully.

Pulling his feet to him, Qui-Gon put them under him. As he stood, he felt as if the Force lifted him as much as he pushed himself up. Mundi released his hold, but remained close. Looking down on his right, he saw his Padawan silently waiting for him, hands held before him. In Obi-Wan's hands was Qui-Gon's lightsaber.

Next to Obi-Wan stood a gray and black medical droid with glowing red eye sensors and spindly arms hanging off of broad, knobby shoulders. Behind the droid, a open medical capsule floated above a clear patch of the walkway.

Mundi stepped away, his hand still touching Qui-Gon's arm.

"If you are well enough now, Master Qui-Gon, I believe that you should return to the ship. I will see to the clean-up here," Mundi suggested, gently, but firmly. It was not quite an order from a Council member. But Qui-Gon chose to look at it that way. He nodded.

"Oh, hey! Window Dude!" Togi's voice drew their attention.

The warlord's former techno-wizard came to them, arms still bound behind him, two gray uniformed Yumis soldiers firmly clasped the arms of the skinnier and taller man. The Yumis were typical Humanoids but with pale pink skin and pale hair, streaked tan and yellow.

"You didn't pick up my wap pipe, did you?" Togi asked.

Sin

22. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Obi-Wan nodded, but Qui-Gon sensed the excitement in the young man. Obi-Wan was not eager to fight others, but he loved applying himself to a task, being active and using his skills.

Oh yes, that's our Obi-Wan. [face_love] =D=

23. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    VaderLVR64: Aaaah, yes, Obi-Wan wants to be in the action, and Qui-Gon is smart enough to have him learn from a better leader than he is. Thanks for the reply! :)

24. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004

***** ***** ***** ***** Part 6

"Master?" Obi-Wan's voice said, close to his ear.

Something tugged on his tunic.

Qui-Gon lifted his head. He saw that the interior lights of the ship were dark, the only light coming in through the forward ports from the command ship's docking bay outside.

Qui-Gon fumbled with the restraint straps, but Obi-Wan unbuckled them. Nodding his thanks, he pushed himself out of his seat. He still felt as if the ship was in motion, but he inhaled the Force deeply into himself and he became steadier. Obi-Wan followed him closely as they left the ship and passed the pilot, amiably chatting with the deck crew.

Neither of them knew exactly where the ship's medical bay was, but most republic cruisers had a standard layout. That knowledge and a little intuition from the Force led them to the right level and section.

Another medical droid, nearly identical to the one on the planet, introduced itself as EsEs-8-6 and told them that Qui-Gon was expected. They entered a smaller medical bay of shiny equipment with many spindly, long-armed attachments, blinking lights, scanners and a minimal examination table. Ship-board medical bays tended to emphasize the practical realities of being injured that encouraged patients to recover as quickly as possible.

Qui-Gon asked for a change of clothes, a wash and to visit the fresher first. The droid offered him a folded white, sterile syth-cloth suitable for all species and politely requested that he leave samples in the indicated depositories. Qui-Gon obliged and when he was finished with the medical requests, he stepped into the ablution stall and used enough water and body cleanser to deaden his sense of smell again.

Reeking of herbal, germ-killing fruit, he turned around under the blowers to dry himself. He bent down to the nozzles, the damp strands of his hair flying about his head, drying. When he stepped out of the stall, he tugged the medical drape over himself and left the fresher.

The droid waited by its equipment. Obi-Wan walked with Qui-Gon to it. After sliding onto the thinly cushioned medical table, he lay down and the droid raised the table up to its torso level, attached sensors to him and began scanning.

"You are seriously dehydrated," the droid said in its programmed calm feminine voice. It elevated the front end of the medical table, so Qui-Gon was sitting up and then applied a fluid replacement pack to his arm. The needle of it automatically found the right spot before going in.

"And from my analysis, you have been exposed to an intoxicant with serious addictive properties," EsEs-8-6 noted.

"I am already aware of that." Qui-Gon stared up at the ceiling; there was no pattern on it and he felt relieved.

The droid's red eye sensors blinked, off-on, and it continued. "You will require medication for several days to reverse any lasting effects."

Qui-Gon had been hoping to avoid this since he had not directly inhaled anything from Togi's pipe. But in a wide galaxy full of recreational substances, the producers of most spices added extra potency to their products to ensure good business with quick dependence in its users.

"Have you experienced nausea, dizziness, blackouts, convulsions, trembling, hallucinations, lethargy, burning sensations, sore extremities, headache, hot or cold flashes, twitching, painful urination, itching, sore throat, loss of vision, hearing or memory loss, excessive sweating, abdominal pain, chest pain or ear ache?"

Qui-Gon sifted through the list of possible symptoms.

"Yes to dizziness, lethargy and hallucinations, blackouts and convulsions only after I was exposed to the spice."

The droid clicked and tilted its head, processing the information. Behind it, Qui-Gon saw Obi-Wan stick a finger in his ear.

"My Padawan was also exposed to the spice, but only for a brief time."

The droid's head swivelled all the way around to look down at Obi-Wan whose blue-gray eyes had gone wide with surprise.

"Short exposure should not cause any ill effects, but I

25. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Excellent update to an excellent adventure! :D

=D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.