main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends The P.O.T.I. Seminar - OCs, Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan appearance - one-post

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ardavenport, Dec 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Title: The P.O.T.I. Seminar
    Author: ardavenport
    Timeframe: Before the Saga
    Genre: drama, humor
    Characters: OCs, Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Keywords Jedi, Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, phenomena, Jedi
    Summary: Two old school mates who have not seen each other for many years meet. They each with their own priorities now. Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi appear.
    And: typo is my middle name, with missing words and errors that spell checkers don?t catch being my speciality ? if you see any, just post a reply or send a PM with the what and where and I will kill them with no mercy.
    Disclaimer: All characters belong to George and Lucasfilm; I?m just playing in their sandbox

I stared when I saw the Jedi standing there, waiting.

At once, all of Twana's snide remarks and cracks over second meal about how over-rated Jedi were came back to me. I looked at the afternoon program schedule again. The first item was:

[block]PHENOMENON OF TECHNICAL INTEREST FORUM:

*** The Force and The Jedi: A Seminar - the Force; Abilities of the Jedi and their weaknesses.
    *** Doctor Cym Ermest, Extraordinary Mental Abilities Studies Department, Paleoti Universities[/block]

The program had a note about a live demonstration, but I had not expected that to involve real Jedi. I looked suspiciously in the direction of my old school mate.

We had been so shocked to see each other again, after so many years, that we promptly abandoned the line we were in to go eat. Twana had graciously paid for the far better second meal than my lowly Holonet-Data-Nodes per diem would allow for. The stresses and thrills of our shared past bridged the wide chasm between Twana's self-made fortune and my modest working life since we had both left the university. But I've been a events-investigator long enough to not be awed by power and Twana was rich enough to not need to brag.

Most of our time was spent exchanging old memories of school and foolish youth along with the baked rolls and glazed roots. But Jedi worked their way into our talk like the sauces seeping into our entrees. Disdain and cynical snipes about hokum and political connections flavored Twana's comments. I politely took them at face value, though I really didn't care. How many Jedi would anyone meet in a whole lifetime? In a hundred lifetimes? There are only several thousand of them in the whole galaxy, generically existing as a distant and fantastically rare event orbiting bigger stars than mine.

Now one of those stars stood there on the speaker's stage, quietly waiting for the afternoon session to begin. Two of them. One tall and long-haired, the other shorter and unformed with youth, standing in the shadow of the bigger one.

I spotted Twana chatting with the sub-conference director and I wove as straight a path as I could through the knots of attendees gathering in the auditorium.

"Fair day to you Boridus," Director Beemku said by way of greeting. He was a friendly but somewhat soft and dim forth-tier functionary usually put in charge of meetings like this. I think I managed a minimal smile for him.

"Did you know that they would be here?" I demanded conspiratorially, pointing toward the persons waiting at the back of the stage.

"I didn't know that they would have actual Jedi for their demonstration," Twana said innocently. I really did not know if she was telling the truth. But I've been around long enough to know that truth telling really doesn't matter.

"Shall we take our seats?" Twana invited innocently. Really, I don't think Twana has been innocent since she was a youngling. Possibly not even then. She certainly wasn't back in University. But then, neither was I. Twana was just better dressed than I, probably had her own couture droid.

"You should set your holo-recorders off. This might be interesting," she advised, assuming command of my job like she had second meal.

A soft gong sounded. The delegates, grunting and muttering like sluggish herd animals, shuffled back to their seats. Beemku hustled with purpose to

2. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    Heh, heh!

So good!

3. freakmoister

freakmoister Jedi Youngling

May 11, 2006
    For a moment I thought it was another of Qui-Gon's ideas for teaching Obi~ :p haha
    Being in the right place at the right time~ :D

4. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    That's really interesting!! I love your stories on the views of regular OCs of the Jedi, and the reporting bit at the end was amuesing :D

5. Raphire

Raphire Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2008
    Interesting. You captured Qui-gon's mischievousness very well. Good Job.=D=

6. Seremela

Seremela Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 12, 2008
    :oops: ACK, I missed this at first!

=D= Great story as always! Loved the twist at the end. And that Twana! She sure got what she deserved. But I loved the POV the most, this being seen through a sceptical and at first very bored reporter.

7. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    ratna: Thanks!

freakmoister: Yes, it was actually another Jedi Knight's plan; Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan are just helping out. Thanks for reading!

NYCitygurl: Thank-you! You get a new perspective on Jedi just by viewing them from an OC POV and adding OC Jedi, too.

Raphire: Qui-Gon does have his little quirks, and they stand out sometimes if he's not the main character in the story. Thanks for reading!

Seremela: There are bound to be people who aren't impressed with Jedi and it was fun writing from that perspective. Thanks for the review!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.