main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga No Regrets: A Story of a Promise Fulfilled (AU, Obi, Qui, Ani) Updated 6/3!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by jedidas3, Jan 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedidas3

jedidas3 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 25, 2007
    Title: No Regrets
    Author: jedidas3
    Timeline: AU, between TPM and AOTC
    Characters: Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, Anakin
    Summary: Obi-Wan must fulfill his promise to his dying Master at the risk of losing his Padawan.
    Author?s Note: Many of you know that my mom is struggling with Alzheimer?s disease. Over the New Year, she had a massive seizure and at the moment, she is being kept comfortable and her fight should be over with in a few days. This story is dedicated to her and to others who are battling this horrid disease. Thank you for your support and encouragement during this difficult time.

Addendum to Author's Note 6/3: Mom is still with us, although she is slowly fading. I have to believe that she is still here for a reason and all we can do now is wait. I appreciate your continued support and encouragement.

Part 1

Master Obi-Wan Kenobi gingerly sat down in the co-pilot?s seat next to his Padawan, Anakin Skywalker. He tried to ignore the amused stare of his apprentice as a muffled groan escaped his lips.

?Don?t say a word,? the elder Jedi warned.

?I wouldn?t think of it,? Anakin grinned.

?For some reason, I don?t believe you.?

?Master, I?m wounded. How could you even think the words ?I told you so? would even come out of my mouth??

?Because I know you,? he reminded.

?Good point.?

Sighing deeply, Obi-Wan laid his head against the headrest. It had been a long time since every muscle in his body had ached with such a vengeance. In fact, the last time that he had been this sore was after he defeated the Sith on Naboo five years ago.

?Master, you really shouldn?t have stayed so late at the celebration last night,? Anakin taunted. ?Especially after you had??

?I told you not to say a word. May I remind you that in order to seal the treaty, I had to climb a ridiculously high mountain in order to scatter the ashes of King Setaab? A feat that never been accomplished in Tagoshin history, I might add. Of course, the queen forgot to tell me of the myriad of obstacles and perils that I had to overcome to reach the top of this mountain.?

?I offered to go, but you had to be the hero,? Anakin jibed.

Obi-Wan glared at his apprentice. ?Believe me, had the Tagoshinians recognized you as an adult, I would have gladly allowed you to go in my place.?

Anakin?s laughter warmed Obi-Wan?s heart. ?Next time, Master, maybe you can claim that I?m your Master.?

?In your dreams, my young Padawan.?

?Somehow, I knew that?s what you?d say. So I guess until then, you?ll just have to continue scaling those ridiculously high mountains and whatever else has to be done for the sake of peace.?

The Jedi winced as he shifted in his seat. ?Don?t fret, Padawan. Maybe our next peace treaty will require a smart-mouthed, impudent apprentice as a sacrifice.?

?Where would you find one of those??

?I wonder,? Obi-Wan mumbled, closing his tired eyes.

The Master and Padawan sat in companionable silence. Obi-Wan enjoyed the rare times when he and Anakin could share in these quiet moments. It seemed like a lifetime since they had an opportunity to rest and both Jedi were looking forward to being back at the Temple.

?Master??

Obi-Wan opened his eyes and turned his head towards his Padawan. Concern replaced the humorous sparkle that had been present in Anakin?s eyes.

?Yes, Padawan??

?You are going to see Bant when we get back, aren?t you??

?I?m fine, Anakin,? he assured the youth.

?Master, I know you?re hurting.?

?I?m just a little sore.?

?You can hardly move,? Anakin countered. ?I know your back is hurting you pretty badly.?

Obi-Wan nodded. ?I?ll get it checked out.?

?Promise??

There were times that Anakin still sounded like the little boy that they had found on Tatooine. Obi-Wan gently squeezed Anakin?s shoulder. ?I promise.?

Before Anakin could respond, a light began flashing on the console, indicating that someone was trying to contact them. Obi-Wan activated the comm unit, all

2. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    They who are the caregiver, giving without thought, are some of the unsung heroes in life.@};- [:D]

Anakin?s laughter warmed Obi-Wan?s heart. ?Next time, Master, maybe you can claim that I?m your Master.?

?In your dreams, my young Padawan.?

?Somehow, I knew that?s what you?d say. So I guess until then, you?ll just have to continue scaling those ridiculously high mountains and whatever else has to be done for the sake of peace.?

The Jedi winced as he shifted in his seat. ?Don?t fret, Padawan. Maybe our next peace treaty will require a smart-mouthed, impudent apprentice as a sacrifice.?

?Where would you find one of those??

?I wonder,? Obi-Wan mumbled, closing his tired eyes.

Levity before pain, just wonderful.

?Speak with Obi-Wan, we must. A great burden he is placing upon himself.?

?It is one that he has chosen to bear.?

?But bear it alone, he can not.?

As you are not either - you know all our thoughts are with you during this time, my dear friend, and with your mother: may her end be peaceful and the memories of her full of warmth and joy after the grief fades.

I've edited after Peggy's comments below, but she's right - sometimes relief is the emotion we feel when we've done all that we can and the other person's time has come. I was lucky enough that my dad's cancer really only got bad for a few days before he slipped into a coma just as my mother and he were preparing to deal with hospice after 2+ years of a fairly normal life after chemo & radiation. He lasted less than a week when it turned bad.

Mom and I had time to say what had to be said when it counted. When he went, it was peaceful and it was a relief. Lingering would not have been living.

As horrible as it sounds, I cry more at the memory of a cat that died decades ago than memories of my dad - the cat that I didn't get to say good bye to. I was barely in high school - not a kid, not an adult. The vet meant to be kind, but to be told to come back Monday on a Friday, only to find the vet put the cat down that weekend...be glad for the time you had and the words you shared.

Dad and I had that time, and though I wasn't able to verbalize how I felt, it was apparent from what I could give him and do for him. We both knew that.

My thoughts are with you during this time and the time to come.

3. JediKaren

JediKaren Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 26, 2007
    *hugs* I've been there. My grandmother died of the same disease and my mother died last spring of cancer. I know the sort of pain you're going through and I can totally see that in the story. Great story.

4. p_stotts

p_stotts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2001
    I can see this story is going to be good therapy for you. I'm so sorry to hear about your mom, having been through a similar situation with my own, although she didn't have alzeihmers. My mom passed away from a staph infection over a six-week period. Toward the end, she would get confused and sometimes downright nasty, but that was due to the morphine. I know what it's like to helplessly watch someone you love pass on. I guess my biggest piece of advice is... don't feel guilty if you feel relieved when it's over. There's no shame in wanting a loved-one's suffering to end, as well as your own. And don't feel guilty if you don't feel the grief as much as you think you should. You've been grieving all along. Please don't hesitate to PM me if you need to talk with someone who's been through it.

-- Peg

5. Lolly_Tolly

Lolly_Tolly Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2008
    My grandfather has started a battle with Dimensia, but he's still mostly ok. But I hope this story helps you cope, with what's going on. Well done so far! :)

6. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

It seems we?ve all been effected by this dreadful disease and I fully agree with Peggy?s advice.
    When my Mother passed, I felt relieved. I was lucky enough to be with her at the end and even though she didn?t recognise me, I was so glad I was there. The nurses gave me the same advice and it is true.

No regrets[:D]

7. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    There's nothing more heartbreaking than watching a love one lose themselves and their memories and loved ones before losing their life.

Those of us who've been down this path can empathize with everything you and everyone else who are dealing with this are going through and I pray God will walk with you and your family, giving you peace and strength in the days to come. [:D] [:D]

I love Obi-Wan's commitment to Qui-Gon and I know having Ankain and the rest of the Order surrounding him with their love and support will help him get through what lies ahead. Devastating as it is going to be. He certainly can't bear it alone.

My thoughts and prayers are with you [:D]

8. nada_smith

nada_smith Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 8, 2006
    Your begining really captures the pain of this situation--both for the person suffering from the disease and for loved ones who must watch them fight it. Very well written.

My heart goes out to you, your mother, and your family right now. May your love for each other and your good memories comfort you.

9. jedidas3

Apr 25, 2007
    Valairy_Scot: You will never know what your kinds words and generous thoughts mean to me, my dear friend. Thank you so much for everything. [:D]

JediKaren: Thanks for your kind thoughts. My heart goes out to you as well and I'm grateful for your willingness to offer your support to me during this time.[:D]

p_stotts: Thanks so much, Peg. Writing this story is going to be very therpeutic for me and I hope I can help others the way that so many of you have helped me.

Lolly_Tolly: Thank you so much. This story will definitely help me cope and hopefully down the road, it will help other's too.

Gkilkenny:Thank you![:D] I do appreciate the heartfelt thoughts coming my way.

KELIA: Thank you so much! You're right about one thing...no one can bear it alone and with friends like you all, I don't have to.

nada-smith: Thank you so much. I'm finding writing this story is helping me greatly and like I said, I hope it helps others down the road who may be in this situation some day.

Thank you all so much for your words of encouragement. I am so blessed to have people like you in my life. As for mom, she is still lingering, but it's a matter of time. Needless to say that while sitting with her, I do have some time to write. The next chapter should be up tomorrow. Thanks again for everything.[face_love] Also, if you would like to be PM'ed with updates, let me know.

10. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    mu support goes to you having grandparents passing away years ago and one the same way after a stroke.[:D]

11. jedidas3

Apr 25, 2007
    earlybird-obi-wan: Thank you so much.

Next post is up. Thank you all again for your support.

Part 2

Anakin jogged down the corridor, hoping to catch up to his Master. He had no desire to stay in the same room with Master Yoda and Master Windu, under their curious scrutiny. They had watched him as he had watched Obi-Wan talking with Qui-Gon. He found this to be highly annoying, especially when their concern should be Obi-Wan and Master Jinn.

The teen had felt his own Master?s tremendous inner strength the entire time Obi-Wan had been conversing with Qui-Gon. Then in an instant, he sensed Obi-Wan?s resolve slip, but the Jedi had quickly recovered. He wondered if Master Yoda or Master Windu even noticed. He doubted it; they were too busy studying him.

The moment that he was aware of Obi-Wan?s shields wavering, he had bolted from the room to join his Master. The teen knew that he would probably be reprimanded for his disrespectful behavior, but at the moment, that didn?t matter.

Rounding the corner, he saw Obi-wan waiting for a lift car. Picking up his pace, Anakin called out to the Jedi, ?Master! Wait up!?

When Obi-Wan turned towards him, the first thing that he noticed was the pained expression on the elder Jedi?s face. ?Master,? Anakin cautiously inquired. ?Did you let Bant check you out??

Obi-Wan slumped against the wall. ?No. It slipped my mind,? he admitted.

Anakin crossed his arms. ?Master, you promised.?

?I know. I guess I just needed??

It wasn?t often that Anakin found his Master at a loss for words. Relaxing his posture, the youth nodded his understanding. ?Why don?t we go on back to our quarters for a while? Besides, once Bant knows we?re back, she?ll be making a house call, demanding to know which one of us came back injured.?

Obi-Wan grinned. ?We do seem to have earned that reputation.?

Anakin returned his Master?s smile. ?From what Bant?s told me, you had that reputation long before I came along.?

?You can?t believe everything that Bant says.?

?Yes, Master,? the teen sheepishly replied.

The doors to the lift opened and Anakin followed Obi-Wan inside. When the doors closed, his gaze fell upon his Master. He was doing the same thing to Obi-Wan that Master Yoda and Windu had done to him.

?If you stare at me any harder, Padawan, you?re going to bore a hole right through me,? Obi-Wan gently admonished.

Anakin?s cheeks flushed slightly. ?Sorry, Master. I?m just worried about you.?

?I know you are, but I?m fine. Like I told you before, I?m just a little sore.?

?I wasn?t referring to your physical injuries.?

Obi-Wan sighed. ?You are becoming much too intuitive, my young Padawan.?

?I?ve learned from the best.?

The lift car stopped on the floor that housed their living quarters and the two Jedi began to slowly make their way down the hallway. ?Flattery will not get you out of sparring with the younglings in Master Yoda?s beginning saber class,? Obi-Wan teased.

?You just had to remind me, didn?t you??

?I would be remiss in performing my duties as your Master if I did not keep you humble.?

?Let me assure you Master, that you have not been remiss.?

?That?s good to know.?

Anakin palmed open the door and followed his Master inside. Shedding his robe, he tossed it across the nearest chair and then stretched out on the couch. He was hoping that Obi-Wan would follow suit and sprawl out in the oversized chair that his Master always preferred. Often after a tiring workout, the two of them would sit around watching holovids or simply talking. Anakin particularly enjoyed the times that Obi-Wan would talk about his days as Qui-Gon?s Padawan; these stories always served as a reminder that his Master wasn?t perfect and Obi-Wan didn?t expect him to be perfect.

However, tonight was not going to be one of those nights. Sitting up, Anakin studied his Master as Obi-Wan opened the glass door and stepped out on to the balcony. Sensing his Master?s conflicting emotions, the teen decided to join him. Pl

12. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    ?Bant! I was just about to call you!?

?Where is he?? she impatiently demanded. ?Healer Amar said that Obi-Wan was moving slower than Master Yoda.?

?He is,? Anakin confirmed. ?He?s hurting pretty badly. I?m sure that he did something to his back, but you know how he downplays everything. He couldn?t even get up out of his chair a few minutes ago.?

?I?ll check him out and then I?ll give him a lecture that he?ll never forget,? Bant loudly announced.

Anakin knew that Obi-Wan was aware of Bant?s presence. He tried to hide his amusement at his Master?s displeasure that Bant was here and would not be leaving until she was satisfied that Obi-Wan was all right.

//Traitor.//

The young man?s smile widened at this Master?s accusation.

The caring amongst ALL the characters jumps off the page. You have a knack for writing a likeable Anakin - something I once thought impossible.

With Anakin and Obi-Wan looking after each other as well as Qui, and Bant looking after them all - they will be the support system each will need.

13. GeneralKenobi7

GeneralKenobi7 Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 18, 2009
    Great start! I'm looking forward to more =P~
    Anakin is so cute for wanting to help his Master as much as possible:p
    PS: Your mother has all my best wishes. I must be terrible for your whole family [face_good_luck]

14. jedidas3

Apr 25, 2007
    Valairy_Scot: Thanks so much, Val. I always thought that there had to be a way to make Anakin likable! I also appreciate your friendship during this time![:D]

GeneralKenobi7: Thank you so much. I'm so glad you like it! Thank you for your kind words, they are greatly appreciated.

15. lilacph

lilacph Jedi Master star 1

Jan 7, 2009
    He knew that he should be tired, especially since they had just returned from a mission, but there would be time to rest later. Anakin just hoped that Obi-Wan would find time to rest as well. For as much as Obi-Wan was worried about Qui-Gon, Anakin was concerned for his own Master. The teen was aware that Obi-Wan would keep his promise to his dying Master, despite the consequences to himself, and Anakin was determined to make Obi-Wan?s welfare his main concern.

This is such a sweet story! I wholeheartedly agree with Anakin on this. My dad was pretty much the same as Obi-Wan when my grandfather got sick. Care takers really need to remember that they also need to take care of themselves ;) Could you PM me when you update?

My prayers go with you and your family [:D]

16. p_stotts

p_stotts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2001
    I thought I had replied to this, but I guess not. My fevered brain must have played tricks on me. Well... not really. Anyway, Bant's so cute when she's in protective healer mode, especially when Obi-Wan just wants to be left alone. Poor guy, you can't really blame him, as many times as he's been in the healer's clutches over the years. Good to see Anakin is taking proper care of his master. I'm interested in seeing how Anakin interacts with a debilitated Qui-Gon. He may think he knows what to expect, but I bet reality is a totally different animal. Great job!

17. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Oh Patricia, my thoughts and prayers are with you, may you receive all the peace and comfort you need during this time. [:D]

This is a sad, but wonderful story. [face_love] I'm glad Obi has Anakin and Bant to look after him. [face_love]

@};- @};-

18. MoAngel

MoAngel Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 13, 2005
    Great story. I too, know what your are going through with your Mom. My Mom passed away 2 1/2 years ago after a short illness. Near the end, I was beside myself between working and caring for her. She literally put me through hell, even tho I was trying to help her. It got so bad that on the way out of the house on a stretcher with paramedics, she was cursing me and trying to throw objects at me. She passed away 2 days later at the hospital. I REALLY miss her, the REAL her, not the person she turned into at the end, so do me a favor. LOVE her while she's still here, because you'll miss her when she isn't...

19. jedidas3

Apr 25, 2007
    lilacph: Thank you so much. I'm so encouraged by those who are so generous to share their own personal experiences with me. I'd be happy to PM you.

p_stotts: Anakin is going to learn that he's not as ready to handle Qui-Gon and his problems as he thinks he is. It's going to be a hard road for him and Obi! Hope that you're feeling better!

Bastet: Thanks so much for your kind words. I really appreciate them. [:D]

MoAngel: I know exactly how you feel. Thank you so much for your kind words.

Thank you all for reading. I'm working on the next post and hopefully it will be up within a week. I really want to thank everyone for their understanding and compassion. I'm so blessed to have such wonderful readers!

20. jedidas3

Apr 25, 2007
    Part 3

Obi-Wan cursed under his breath as Bant began her examination. She had barely started poking and prodding him and he was already wishing that she would leave him alone. All he needed was a little rest and he would be fine. He muttered another string of curse words as her hands moved along his bruised back.

?Son of a bantha!? he growled.

?Language, language,? Bant chided.

?I wouldn?t have to watch my language if you would just leave me the hell alone!?

?How does Anakin stand being around you when you?re sick or in pain? You?re such a grump.?

?I was fine until you got here and I am not a grump!?

?Are too.?

Obi-Wan sighed in disgust. ?If I am a grump, it is only because you?re torturing me.?

Gritting his teeth, he let Bant finish her examination without any further protests. He had learned a long time ago that it was a wasted effort to argue with Bant when she had that particular look in her silver eyes.

?Do you want to tell me how you got all those bruises on your back?? she asked.

?I fell.?

?Care to elaborate??

?Not really. I was just securing peace for another planet and let?s just say that the terrain of the mountain I had to climb was quite treacherous.?

?You?ve got some strained muscles and possibly a cracked vertebrae. I need you to come back down to the healer?s wing for a scan,? Bant instructed.

?I will when I have time.?

?Obi, this is serious. If you don?t take care of yourself, you?re going to end up in a hover chair or worse.?

?I think you?re over exaggerating a bit. I?ve pulled muscles before and I?m still walking upright. If fighting a Sith on Naboo didn?t kill me, a little tumble down a mountain won?t kill me either.?

?You are so stubborn.? Bant threw up her hands in frustration. ?Fine! You want to walk around here like Master Yoda, go ahead. I?m not going to stop you. But don?t call me the first morning you can?t get out of bed because I?m not coming.?

Obi-Wan grinned at his long time friend. ?Your eyes change color when you?re angry.?

?You haven?t seen angry.?

?You know what they say about anger.?

?If you weren?t already hurt, I?d slug you.?

Obi-Wan took Bant?s hand. ?Please don?t worry about me. I?ll be fine. I?ve got too much to do to get ready for Qui-Gon.?

The Jedi Master laid his head against the back cushion of the couch. As long as he didn?t move too quickly, the pain in his back was bearable, but he would never admit that to Bant. He winced as she sat back beside him, still holding his hand.

?That?s another thing we need to talk about,? Bant gently said. ?Are you sure that having Qui-Gon come live with you is a good idea? You?re constantly gone on missions and you have your hands full with Anakin. Can you handle the responsibility of caring for someone with Corand?s disease??

Closing his eyes, he released his pain to the Force as he searched his heart for the words that would explain to Bant why he had to take care of Qui-Gon. He allowed his mind to drift back to the day that Qui-Gon was diagnosed with Corand?s disease. They had just returned from Naboo and they both had been ushered to the healer?s wing where they each endured an overnight stay. It was during a routine test that something odd had shown up on Qui-Gon?s brain scan. They had allowed him and Qui-Gon to share a room during their convalescence. The two of them had been sitting up in bed, finishing their breakfast when Healer Amar entered their room, the healer?s expression was solemn and Obi-Wan immediately picked up on Amar?s discomfort.

Obi-Wan glanced over at Qui-Gon, who seemed to ignore the healer?s presence. He caught Qui-Gon?s eye and nodded his head toward Healer Amar. Qui-Gon seemed almost nervous. The younger Jedi couldn?t recall a time when his Master had seemed anxious or worried, even when they were fighting a Sith.

?So, Healer Amar, are you here to discharge us?? Qui-Gon asked, an air of forced pleasantness in his voice.

?Actually, Obi-Wan is cleared to leave. I?d

21. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005

Obi-Wan grinned. ?You know me too well.?

?Yes, I do. I know you well enough that you?ll put Anakin and Qui-Gon?s needs over your own. If you plan to take care of Qui-Gon, you?re going to have to take care of yourself.?

?I will,? he promised.

?Liar.?

?Bant!? Obi-Wan blew out a frustrated breath. ?Please, now is not the time. I?ve got to get this place ready for Qui-Gon.?

See, he's ALREADY putting himself after Qui. If Bant knows him so well, she should have drugged & dragged him off the healers.

He should be smart enough to know Bant is right, though. If he's bound and determined to help, he has to be FIT to help.

Stubborn Jedi - but we love him anyway.

22. Ganki

Ganki Jedi Master star 3

Jan 27, 2002
    Why is Ob so freaking stubborn? I have a bad feeling that his stubbornness will be getting him into some trouble in the near future. Hopefully Bant and Ani will be able to take care of him.

Looking forward to more.

Also, can you please add me to the PM list? thanks!

23. lilacph

lilacph Jedi Master star 1

Jan 7, 2009
    Obi-Wan slowly got up off the couch and made his way towards his bedroom. He winced as the now familiar pain started shooting up his back. Turning back to Bant, he said, ?Just leave the pain medicine on the table.? He knew that she was smiling over this small triumph as she let herself out.

I can picture in my head the great big smirk on Bant's face with the words "I told you so" to accompany it. ;) Great update!

24. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    oops I let a post slip by. I know I read it though.

?Where are you going to sleep, Master??

Obi-Wan grinned as he draped his arm around Anakin?s neck. ?It?s a good thing you don?t snore.?

?Yeah, but you do,? Anakin pointed out. ?Of course, if I get in trouble for falling asleep in my Galactic History class, I can blame you.?

?And I?m sure that Master Ares will believe you.?

?I?m sure he will. He?s been on a mission with you and he knows how you snore.?

?You?ll never know that I?m there, Padawan.?

It's nice when Anakin and Obi have some quality time together.[:D]

Obi-Wan stepped back out into the room, his cool gaze resting on his Master. ?How long have you known??

?What??

?You knew before Amar came and told you. How long have you known??

Qui-Gon hung his head. ?I knew there was a possibility that I had it before Naboo.?

?That?s why you separated yourself from me in the fight. You were hoping that Maul would kill you and then you wouldn?t have to face the reality of having a terminal illness.?

?Obi-Wan, I??

Obi-Wan held his hand up, cutting the Jedi off. ?I can?t do this right now. I?m going to clean up and then go somewhere and meditate. Then we?ll talk.?

As usual Obi-Wan puts everyone else before him self.
    He will need to look after him self if he's going to look after Qui-Gon.

Excellent posts.=D=

25. GeneralKenobi7

GeneralKenobi7 Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 18, 2009
    You updated again![face_dancing]

Obi-Wan grinned at his long time friend. ?Your eyes change color when you?re angry.?

?You haven?t seen angry.?

?You know what they say about anger.?

?If you weren?t already hurt, I?d slug you.?

Lovely banter between Bant and Obi:D They really fit together and you write them well.

Can you please add me to your PM list?[face_praying]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.