main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Very . . . . Unexpected - - Young Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon - - One Post - - Monday Mush!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ardavenport, Feb 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Title: Very . . . . Unexpected
    Author: ardavenport
    Timeframe: Before the Saga
    Genre: Drama, Mush, AU
    Characters: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Qui-Gon Jinn, Jedi OC
    Keywords Obi-Wan Kenobi, Qui-Gon Jinn, padawan
    Summary: Young Obi-Wan learns some things about his new master. AU story that is set when Obi-Wan is about 8 years old.
    And: Typo is my middle name, with missing words and errors that spell checkers don?t catch being my speciality ? if you see any, just post a reply or send a PM with the what and where and I will kill them with no mercy.
    Disclaimer: All characters belong to George and Lucasfilm; I?m just playing in their sandbox

"Grave is this journey you will all undertake," Master Yoda said, his voice cracking between high and low tones, his walking stick tapping with each struggling step across the circular pattern of the floor.

Eight year-old Obi-Wan Kenobi stood straighter, focused and not fidgeting as he had been taught. Like a Jedi. Yoda looked around at the fourteen couples standing at the edge of the outer circle on the floor. Obi-Wan felt the large presence of the Jedi Master next to him, very close, but not touching, the dark brown robe a tempting distraction in his peripheral vision on his left. He kept his eyes forward.

"Begin, now, you may," Yoda said, a small figure under the center lights of the room, shadows under him, his large kind green eyes giving them permission.

Straightening his shoulders, Obi-Wan stepped forward and then turned around. His head level, Obi-Wan could barely see his new Master's bearded face towering above him. He could already hear the voices of others, giving their vows to their new Masters. He went to his knees.

"I pledge myself to the service of the Force and to the Jedi Code. And I pledge myself to your teachings. My Master," Obi-Wan said, his heart beating fast, loud in his ears. He had said it. With no mistakes.

"I accept your pledge and your service," Qui-Gon Jinn replied calmly. Obi-Wan felt his heart beat slow, relief flowing into him. "And I pledge myself to your teaching. Rise, Obi-Wan Kenobi. My Padawan." Then Obi-Wan saw Master Qui-Gon's hand, the palm facing him.

The gesture caught Obi-Wan in intense indecision. It was different from what he had practiced. Should he accept? Was the change a test?

Obi-Wan put his hand in his Master's. Qui-Gon helped him to stand. Looking around, Obi-Wan saw the other new Padawans, many of them wide-eyed, mouths open, standing close to their new Masters. Yoda, squatting in the center of the room, smiled at them all.

A touch, a large hand on his shoulder prompted Obi-Wan to finally turn his head upward. His bearded face smiling, Qui-Gon extended an arm toward the doorway. They went together, joining the others, filing into a small entryway and down a wide stone spiral staircase out of the center spire of the Temple. Just before he descended below the floor, Obi-Wan saw Yoda, still sitting on the floor, smiling after them.

Obi-Wan spent the next few hours with Qui-Gon, tending the ordinary details of his change of status. Moving his clothes and learning tools and projects from the creche dormitory to his own room. Getting fresh soaps, clothes and new equipment from the supply droids. And a new robe. Sharing his first meal with Qui-Gon in the eating hall. Qui-Gon introducing him to new instructors who would also teach him. A long discussion about how his training would change and what he must accomplish before he would be allowed to be sent on missions in a few years.

Their last task for the day was a visit to the med-center, for a standard physical examination by the medical droids. Obi-Wan walked carefully at his Master's side and one step behind. And he was mindful. He folded his arms before him, hiding them in the sleeves of his new robe, just like Qui-Gon and the other Jedi Knights did. He felt older this day, though he thought, as he stole a quick glance upwards, not any taller.

Becoming a Jedi Knight was harder than he thought.

2. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005

"A fine choice, Master Qui-Gon," she announced. "Tell me young Obi-Wan, what will you teach this old rogue?"

Obi-Wan gaped again. What could he teach Master Qui-Gon?

"What did you teach him, Master Boliv?" he asked because he could not think of anything else. Boliv seemed to approve of the question.

"How to hug, for one thing." Her smiling brown eyes went to the man beside her. "He got precious little of that from old Dooku."

"Master Dooku was a fine teacher," Qui-Gon stated.

"I suppose. If all you care about is lightsabers and keeping up appearances." Then Boliv stepped toward Obi-Wan and knelt to his level. He steadied himself as she laid her wide hands on his arms. She did not frighten him, but she was very . . . . unexpected. "Never forget, Obi-Wan, that the Padawan teaches the Master just as the Master teaches the Padawan. Otherwise, nobody would learn anything. Now," she grasped his arms firmly, "can you hug?"

Obi-Wan mutely nodded, not understanding the purpose of that question at all.

"Please show me then," she told him.

He swallowed, not comfortable with hugging this stranger. But she had been a Padawan to Master Qui-Gon, just as he was now, and she was a Jedi Master. He leaned forward, his arms going around her broad neck and when he got a good grip he squeezed with his whole body pressed into her soft, rounded bosom.

"Aaaah, you're a strong one!" she said gladly. They both rose in the air and Obi-Wan felt as if he had no weight at all. It was the Force.

He pulled back enough to look a her. She supported him under his bottom with one thick arm. Like a youngling, but he did not mind. She grinned, inviting another hug and he clasped her neck again and squeezed with enthusiasm, feeling his strength flow with hers along with the bunches of clean coarse robe fabric that he buried his nose in.

"Now," Boliv said behind his ear. She turned. "Show your new Master what you can do."

Awww...I [face_love] it! [:D]

And it leads so perfectly into that last hug...wonderful! Great job.

3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Oooh, I like 8 years old as the year for pairing off masters and padawans much better than later LOL I like Boliv very much... she does seem the type to teach someone to hug. I'm a huggy type too... and it's a fun thing to learn since you learn it from other huggy types [face_laugh] Interestingly enough, I'm a huggy reviewer here too... ;) :D

[:D]
    P.S. Your Qui-Gon just...I could just eat him up!!! [face_laugh] :)

4. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    "You look sad," Obi-Wan said, giving a word to what he felt. Qui-Gon's eyes looked at him.

"Boliv is here to visit her Padawan, who was badly injured in their last mission."

"Is she going to die?" Obi-Wan blurted out, his first thought about the dire expressions he had seen.

"No," Qui-Gon said. "But she will be much changed by her injuries. And the future is unclear about what those will be."

Obi-Wan was not quite sure what 'much changed' could be. If you lived, the droids could always fix you. But he could see that it made Qui-Gon and especially Boliv very sad. He clasped Qui-Gon around the neck again and squeezed hard. After a moment, he felt light again. Obi-Wan sighed. The sigh turned into a yawn.

His new Master carried him all the way to his new room from the med-center. Even though he was much too young to be carried like a youngling, Obi-Wan did not mind.

Absolutely beautiful! =D=

5. Jinngerbread

Jinngerbread Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2007
    Awwwwwwwwwwwww [face_love]

What a sweet mushy wonderful vig. Just what I needed today.

6. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    sweet and mushy with Boliv and Qui.

Nice AU story

7. Ara-gon

Ara-gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 31, 2005
    Loverly! Qui and Obi together as master and padawan when Obi's 8--pretty perfect.

Loved Boliv. You crammed a good bit of characterization about her into a small vig. Well done!

8. dimyavie

dimyavie Jedi Master star 1

May 3, 2006
    I loved the characterization you used! Having Obi-Wan hug both Qui's former padawan and him was a great touch! Thanks for writing :)

9. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    A very nice aspect to Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan's meeting and subsequent
    pairing.
    So cute=D=

10. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Valairy_Scot: Thank-you! The hugs worked into the story much better than I was expecting.

Jade_eyes: I think that Qui-Gon would be a huggy type, but with Dooku as his master he would have needed a good padawan to bring it out. Yeah, Qui-Gon is so huggable. Thanks!

VaderLVR64: Thank-you!

Jinngerbread: Mush is for Mondays. :) Thanks for reading!

earlybird-obi-wan: Thank-you! I was just I could fit Boliv into another fic.

Ara-gon: It was an warm emotional meeting, so that let out a lot of Boliv's character. Thanks for the reply!

dimyavie: Thanks! Qui-Gon needed a hug. :)

Gkilkenny: Young Obi-Wan giving hugs is always cute and mushy. A lovely way for them to meet. Thanks for the reply!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.