main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Someone Else's Life - M*A*S*H Challenge response - Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, May 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Title: Someone Else?s Life
    Author: VaderLVR64
    Characters: Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon
    Notes: Written for the M*A*S*H challenge. Though strange, and seemingly unrelated, this is just the plot bunny that wandered my way when I got this quote. This was my quote:
    Hawkeye: Let's make a pact about drinking.
    Trapper: All right.
    Hawkeye: Let's never stop!

Some Else?s LIfe

Obi-Wan stared morosely at the drink in his hand. Despite his intentions, he had not had more than two drinks in the last hour.

So much for drinking myself silly, he thought sourly. I can?t seem to act irresponsibly even when I want to. His innate sense of dignity seemed to protest at the thought of losing control.

He sighed and took another sip, grimacing at the fire that traced a path down his throat and into his belly. At least there, it curled up in a soothing, warming mass. He shivered and put the glass back down on the bar.

?Mind some company?? A familiar voice asked from behind him. Obi-Wan turned, not entirely surprised to see his Master standing there with a wide smile. Qui-Gon quirked one brow enquiringly at the glass on the bar. ?Or would you rather be alone??

?I don?t care, Master,? Obi-Wan said, waving his arm vaguely at the seat beside him. ?Sit down and join me if you?d like.?

Qui-Gon seemed to find that amusing and sat down, shrugging off his cloak and signaling the barkeep for his own refreshment. ?So?? he said. ?To what are we drinking??

Scowling, Obi-Wan gestured for another drink, waiting until the barkeep set it in front of him before he answered. ?We?re drinking to?? He paused and then sighed. ?I don?t know. What?s more, Master, is that I don?t care.?

?Good to know,? Qui-Gon said dryly. Obi-Wan felt his Master?s intense scrutiny, but studiously avoided turning to meet that blue gaze. ?Should I order you some food, Padawan?? The title was a reminder that Obi-Wan was called to obedience ? in all matters. And it was clear that his Master?s question was more along the lines of a suggestion.

?If you must,? Obi-Wan answered with ill-grace. His surly tone was enough to have Qui-Gon give him a second look.

Qui-Gon studied him for a long moment and then shrugged. ?All right then,? he murmured. ?No food.?

Obi-Wan fell silent, more out of embarrassment than a lack of anything to say. It was rare that he treated his Master with anything less than complete respect. He was not sure if it was his foul mood or the alcohol to blame, but he felt badly. ?Sorry, Master,? he muttered.

?No need,? Qui-Gon replied easily, taking a sip of his own poison. ?I?m sure I?ll not crumple into a weeping heap because my Padawan lets a few cross words slip his usually well mannered lips.?

His Master?s casual good will only made Obi-Wan feel worse. The young man heaved a sigh and pushed the drink away. ?I?m sorry,? he said with more civility.

?Apology accepted,? Qui-Gon assured him, giving him a pat on the shoulder. ?Now?dare I ask what has my Padawan in such a state??

Obi-Wan met Qui-Gon?s gaze and felt himself giving a bark of laughter. No one could do wry amusement like his Master. ?I?m just feeling a bit?? He frowned, not really knowing what he felt, only that he was out of sorts and feeling uncomfortable in his own skin.

?Like you?re wearing someone else?s life?? Qui-Gon guessed shrewdly. ?Going through the motions and doing what is expected of you, all the while wondering what exactly it is you?re doing??

Shocked, Obi-Wan could only gape at Qui-Gon. Then he gave a slow, stunned nod. ?I guess you could say that.?

Qui-Gon?s lips twisted in a strange manner and he turned away from Obi-Wan to take another sip of his drink. ?It will pass,? he told Obi-Wan in a strained voice. ?Don?t worry.?

Something in his Master?s tone, however, made Obi-Wan worry very much. ?Master?? he asked, watching with concern as his Master ordered another drink. A double. ?Are you all right?? How strange. His Master had come looking for him, concerned about his Padawan. Now Obi-Wa

2. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Lovely insightful and another masterpiece of yours=D==D==D=

3. GuNgAnFaN3090

GuNgAnFaN3090 Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 16, 2008
    That was fantastic! The ending was perfect. Great job with the characters. A very good read.

=D= =D= =D= =D=

4. MiralukaJedi

MiralukaJedi Jedi Knight star 4

May 15, 2008
    Very nice. I like the way in which you captured the emotions there! Well done!

5. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    What can I say, Kim, that I haven't said before? Fantastic - wonderful - layered with meaning and absolutely enchanting.

You're an inspiration to the rest of us - if we can be 1/2 of this quality, we can pronounce ourselves successful.

6. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    Absolutely lovely. A great reminder that the Jedi are still 'Human', still mortal beings with doubts and weaknesses like everyone else.

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    This is an indisputable fact.

[face_love]
    [face_love]
    =D=

8. Seremela

Seremela Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 12, 2008
    =D= =D= =D= Beautiful! How you went from Obi-Wan's vague feelings to Qui-Gon's demons was great.

Obi-Wan wondering about their relationship after his knighting, Qui-Gon musing how he wouldn't mind ending like a hermit and Obi-Wan saying he'd hate that is just heartbreaking, knowing what will come :(

?You?re a young man, looking ahead to your life as a Jedi and wondering if it will be worth it,? Qui-Gon said in a low voice. ?While I am an old man, looking back and wondering if it was worth it.?
    =D= =D=

And I have to admit, I just utterly love this sentence :D :

?No need,? Qui-Gon replied easily, taking a sip of his own poison. ?I?m sure I?ll not crumple into a weeping heap because my Padawan lets a few cross words slip his usually well mannered lips.?

9. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    ?You?re a young man, looking ahead to your life as a Jedi and wondering if it will be worth it,? Qui-Gon said in a low voice. ?While I am an old man, looking back and wondering if it was worth it.?

And I'm sure they're not the first pair to do so.

I loved Qui-Gon's insight and I found it rather amusing poor Obi-Wan couldn't get drunk.

Great response to the challenge

=D= =D= =D= =D=

10. p_stotts

p_stotts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2001
    Oh, well done!=D= You hit just the right despondent tone without going overboard. And haven't we all felt like we're going through the motions at times, like our life is not enough, that it's not okay to settle. My husband and I were just talking about that the other night - about the balance between satisfaction and desire for more. I think if we concentrate too much on either end of the spectrum, we become either dull or unsettled. One must strike the right balance between the two. After all, life is about the journey, not the waiting.

11. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    I liked the way you turned it from Obi-Wan's unwillingness to talk about what was troubling him. To Qui-Gon turning the tables on him and getting him to worry about someone else other than his own problems. In doing so Qui-Gon got him to open up and tell him what was bothering him.

Excellent=D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.