main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Touched By The Force - JA, X-over w/Touched By An Angel, definite angst

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by p_stotts, Jun 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. p_stotts

p_stotts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2001
    Okay, I know I said I was taking a break, but the old plot bunny started nibbling at my toes, and I couldn't resist. Now, I'll be busy the rest of the day, so I probably won't be able to post again until Monday, but give it a read and see what you think.

?Touched By The Force?
    BY: p_stotts
    CATEGORY: JA, crossover w/Touched By An Angel, angst
    SETTING: Pre-TPM, Obi-Wan is 13
    RATING: PG
    SUMMARY: The angels are assigned to help Qui and Obi build a lasting, trusting
    master/padawan relationship. But can they help Qui-Gon overcome his fears and open his
    heart to his apprentice before it?s too late?
    DISCLAIMER: I don?t own any recognizable characters. I?m just borrowing them for a
    little while.
    SPECIAL THANKS TO Moonscribe, for all your help, suggestions, and beta.

Prologue

Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn sat in the pilot?s chair of their small Republic transport,
    apparently intent on studying the instrument panel in front of him. Behind him in the
    doorway stood his thirteen-year-old apprentice, Obi-Wan Kenobi.

?What is it, Obi-Wan?? Qui-Gon asked in a monotone voice.

Obi-Wan almost visibly flinched. There was no animosity or anger in his master?s
    voice...but there wasn?t any affection either. ?I...I just wanted to see if you needed anything before I go to bed.?

?No,? said Qui-Gon, not even turning to look at the boy. ?Get some rest. We?ll be
    arriving at Melida/Dann in the morning.?

The boy hesitated a moment longer, then dropped his eyes in resignation. ?Yes, Master.?

Unseen and undetected by both Jedi were three angels who stood to the side observing.

?I still don?t understand, Tess,? said Monica, the younger-looking of the three. She was dressed all in white, with flowing long brown hair and beautiful dark brown eyes. ?Why has the Father assigned us to help people who don?t even know He exists??

Tess, and older, dark-skinned woman, smiled affectionately at the younger angel. ?Angel
    girl, these particular people know the Father exists...they just don?t know him as God. They call Him the Force, and they see Him as the source of their life and power.?

?Well,? put in Andrew, a young male angel, also dressed in white, with blond hair and blue eyes, ?that?s certainly true. But, who are these two and why have we been assigned to them??

?That tall, dark-haired, brooding fellow over there is Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn,?
    explained Tess. ?He?s recently taken the boy, Obi-Wan Kenobi as his apprentice. His job is to teach him how to be a Jedi Knight.?

?What are Jedi?? asked Monica.

?Jedi are the protectors of this galaxy,? answered Tess. ?They serve the Force, and use its power for good.?

?Can they work miracles?? asked Andrew.

?Not in the Biblical sense,? smiled Tess. ?But, they can do a lot of miraculous things that most others in this galaxy can?t.?

?So, what?s our assignment with these two?? asked Monica.

?To get Qui-Gon Jinn to open his heart to Obi-Wan Kenobi,? explained Tess, ?and, that
    isn?t going to be easy.?

?But, the boy seems like a sweet kid,? countered Andrew. ?Why wouldn?t Qui-Gon open
    his heart to him??

?Because he was badly hurt by a previous apprentice,? explained Tess. ?In fact, he swore he?d never take another apprentice after that...but fate intervened, and here they are.?

?How can we help?? asked Monica. ?Where are they headed??

?Right now they?re headed to a war-torn planet called Melida/Dann to rescue another
    injured Jedi,? answered Tess. ?But, that?s all about to change.?

The angels faded away as a blinking light on the console notified Qui-Gon of an incoming
    message. Taking a deep breath, the Jedi master reached forward to turn on the com unit.

?Greetings, Master Jinn,? bowed the six-inch holo of Mace Windu.

?Master Windu,? answered Qui-Gon with a nod. ?What can I do for you??

?Your mission has been changed,? replied Mace. ?A series of pirate raids on luxury liners in and around the Kontin system is wreaking havoc with their economy. They?ve asked Jedi to investigate,

2. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Pirates? Pirates have POTENTIAL! I'm sure they're just waiting for the chance to capture Obi-Wan and TORTURE him! And if there's anything destined to get Qui-Gon's attention, it's poor, SUFFERING life forms! YEAH! I think I'm liking this already!

I liked the way Qui-Gon was monotone, but Obi-Wan almost flinched, anyway, at the lack of affection in his voice. The way the angels described the situation was good, too. I do wonder what part they'll be playing in this story. Will they have any interaction with our two main characters, or will they just be working behind the scenes, so to speak?

3. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    Ah, the angels will be right in the thick of things to be sure! Yes, lots of potential for angst and torture in this one. We shall see, we shall see.

4. Obi the Kid

Obi the Kid Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    Hmmmm..interesting idea! I like the beginning!

5. JediCandy

JediCandy Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 24, 2000
    Hooked and reeled in....excellent start, looks to be every bit as riviting as "Overtures" was.

Eagerly awaiting more, oh Master of the Plot Bunnies!

6. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Very intriguing crossover Peggy!

I like what you've got so far, Qui-Gon being all distant and poor, young Obi-Wan already angsting!

Great start!

Post often, post soon!

7. DarkATX

DarkATX Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 14, 2000
    I wonder if master Yoda could sense their Angelic presence? ?[face_plain]
    I find this crossover a perfect blend placed in a perfect setting considering what Qui-Gon's disposition would have been like after losing his previous padawan.
    Can't wait til Monday.

8. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    Angels and Jedi -- very interesting. I'd like to see Tess and Yodi get together. They both have very strong personalities. Can Monica find coffee in the SW universe? :)

Going back to the beginning, is also a neat idea. You do such a nice job showing the loving relationship our boys have, I can't wait to see what you do with them in this stage of their lives. Avoiding the whole Melinda-Daana thing, huh? Well, pirates are always good. Tahl will be alright, though, won't she? The unnamed Jedi will rescue her?

I can't throw any stones about not posting until Monday. I'll only be able to get to the boards every three or four days for the next couple of weeks . . . By the time I get back maybe I'll get to read a couple of your posts!

9. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    Thanks, everyone! I thought this would be a perfect crossover. We'll see how it goes. You know me...I usually make it up as I go. :D

10. KSkywalker

KSkywalker Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 7, 1998
    They're not going to Melida/Daan?? Thank Goodness! That Planet is Bad News!!!!

"Touched by an Angel" usually makes me ill, but since you are writing this story, I'll probably like it alot!!

11. Abbi_Cee

Abbi_Cee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2000
    Pirates? Oooh, pirates are good. All that yo-ho-ho-ing while swinging from the yardarms, half open shirt showing off a manly chest while a brisk breeze ruffles his long golden hair..No, Wait! That's Fabio...uh...nevermind. ;)

While I've never watched TbaA I'm sure I'll enjoy this story as much as I liked the West Wing xover, which is to say a lot. Not only that, but you're writing a young Obi and Qui bonding story. My favorite kind, and as Jane mentioned pirates offer a wonderful opportunity for torture and angst. (when they're not whisking the spunky heroine off to a deserted island that is) :)

12. padawan lunetta

padawan lunetta Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 1999
    *grin* Great crossover Peggy! I love Touched By An Angel, can't wait for more!

13. Broken-Sabre

Broken-Sabre Jedi Youngling star 2

May 13, 2001
    Star Wars and Touched by an Angel, this will be interesting, why do I sense the pirates will mean torture ?[face_plain] I'm already thinking poor Obi... :) Can't wait for more.

14. Jedi Susie

Jedi Susie Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2000
    I have to agree qith Jane on her pirates have potential...they do!

Looking forward to reading more.

Oh, also, I love the connection between the Force and a Holy Being, very nice way to describe why the angels came to the Jedi.

15. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    Thanks! :D I'll try to finish writing the next section today so I can get it over to my beta buddy in time to post tomorrow. Tune in then!

16. Artemis_Silverbow

Artemis_Silverbow Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2001
    I'm finally de-lurking to say I love your work, and I'm sure it'll be worth the wait. Keep it up!

17. TrianaJinn

TrianaJinn Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 14, 2001
    Interesting start. I really like Touched by an Angel, so I know I'll love this combination. :)

18. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    Okay, I'm posting Monday morning's post now. You know what that means...no post Monday morning. Hopefully I'll have more written to post by Monday evening. My beta says this is a character-driven piece so far. While I have to agree, there will certainly be action later on...with the gratuitous angst/mush, etc. As always, enjoy!

Part 1

?This ship is fantastic, Master!? exclaimed Obi-Wan, looking around him in wonder as
    they entered the dining salon. ?I?ve never seen so much food in all my life...not even at the Temple!?

?Keep your focus on the mission, Padawan,? scolded Qui-Gon. ?Don?t let the opulence of
    the ship distract you from what you?re supposed to be doing.?

The smile on the boy?s face immediately faded. ?Yes, Master,? he said softly, resuming his place a step behind and to the right of Qui-Gon.

?Hello there!? a lovely, dark-haired woman greeted them. ?My name is Monica, and I?m
    the activities director for the children on this cruise. Would you like to sign up your son for some activities?? she asked Qui-Gon in an accent similar to his own.

?Obi-Wan is not my son,? he answered a little more gruffly than he?d intended. Monica inwardly cringed at the pained look that briefly showed in Obi-Wan?s eyes. ?He?s my apprentice...and we?re not here on a vacation. We?re here to investigate the pirate raids that have been plaguing this sector.?

?Oh,? replied Monica, ?I see...and, your apprentice isn?t allowed to have any fun while you?re here, is that it??

Monica?s voice was politely inquisitive, but held just enough of a challenging note in it to tell the Jedi master that she wasn?t the least bit intimidated by him.

Qui-Gon opened his mouth to respond, but then closed it again. Looking at Obi-Wan?s
    hopeful expression, and then back to Monica...he sighed inwardly. ?I suppose a little fun wouldn?t hurt, as long as it doesn?t interfere with your training, or the mission, Obi-Wan.?

A wide grin broke out on Obi-Wan?s face, melting his master?s heart...a feeling he quickly quashed. ?Oh, it won?t, Master,? exclaimed Obi-Wan. ?I promise.?

?Good,? responded Monica enthusiastically. ?Can you meet me in the main lobby after dinner, Obi-Wan? I?ll be organizing some activities, and you can pick the ones that best suit your schedule.?

Obi-Wan again deferred to his master, who nodded his permission. ?I?ll be there!?

The Jedi were seated at the captain?s table for dinner, something Qui-Gon would rather
    have avoided, not wanting to call attention to themselves, but it gave them a chance to
    talk with the more prominent passengers.

The steward had seated Qui-Gon between the captain and a dark-skinned woman about
    his own age, with Obi-Wan seated on the woman?s other side. The woman introduced
    herself as Tess and proceeded to make everyone at the table feel more comfortable with each other without monopolizing the conversation. She seemed to especially take an interest in Obi-Wan, going out of her way to draw him into the conversation whenever
    possible...much to the young man?s obvious discomfort.

?So, Mistress Tess...? Qui-Gon started to inquire.

?Just Tess,? she gently corrected.

Qui-Gon nodded to acknowledge her statement. ?Very well, Tess...what brings you on this cruise??

?Actually, I?m here as a consultant for the cruise line,? she explained. ?I?m a soul healer, and the company wanted me to evaluate the crew to see how they were handling the stress caused by the recent rash of attacks on some of the ships in this area.?

Qui-Gon?s eyebrows shot up in surprise...a look he quickly masked. He?d never heard of
    a non-Jedi soul healer before...psychiatrists and counselors, yes, but never a soul healer.
    ?Are you Force-sensitive then?? he asked in a lowered voice. He?d not noticed an unusual
    level of Force sensitivity in the woman, but if her shields were particularly strong, she
    could have masked it.

?Very,? she whispered, leaning closer, ?but, that?s only something I reveal when needed.?

Qui-Gon nodded in understanding, approving of h

19. Artemis_Silverbow

Artemis_Silverbow Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2001
    NO MONDAY MORNING POST? :( :_| Oh, well. Great post. I liked how you introduced the angels-I can just see Monica in that role. I also really liked her interaction with Qui-Gon. It was very in character. It's going to be hard waiting for more of this, but I'll manage, somehow. Sigh.

20. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
  21. Jedi Susie

Jedi Susie Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2000
    I'm very curious to see how the angels decide to help. I'm a bit worried though, I know who Andrew is in the show and what he represents...I wonder if his angel 'job' is a bit of fore shadowing......

22. p_stotts

Jan 21, 2001
    Well...he is the angel of death, but he also functions in the same capacity that Tess and Monica do. We'll just have to see how it all works out.

23. JoeyKenobi

JoeyKenobi Jedi Youngling

Apr 22, 2000
    Oh, this is really good. I haven't watched Touch By An Angel in years, but this is really, really good. I hope you post more soon. I really like how you have Tess not intimidated at all by Qui-Gon, that was the best part. I can just see her standing up to him and not backing down too. Keep up the good work.

24. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I loved Monica's introduction and that she didn't let Qui-Gon intimidate her and the way he backed down from saying something to her comment of ?I see...and, your apprentice isn?t allowed to have any fun while you?re here, is that it??

I too felt concerned that Andrew was talking with Obi-Wan... that alone was cause enough to give me a bad feeling.

Great post Peggy!

25. Kaylla_Norn_II

Kaylla_Norn_II Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 4, 2001
    This is different... I am looking forward to your post tommorow. It won't be soon enough. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.