main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Somewhere in the Middle - (OWK/QGJ) - Chapter 36: March 12, 2012

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by bek, Sep 21, 2009.

1. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Title: Somewhere in the Middle

Author: bek

Genre: Alternate Universe - Drama, some Angst

Characters: Obi-Wan (15), Qui-Gon, OC?s

Summary: Obi-Wan uncovers some information during a class assignment that, depending on the point of view, may have been better left undiscovered.

Disclaimer: The characters (Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, etc?) belong to Lucas or Watson. I make no profit from this. It's just a hobby.

Author Note: The characters (Rayfe, Nyla, Jace and Ty Abrams, Healer Alejandro, Callen, and Jai) are my creation. [I will update with more names as needed.] The one thing I love most about fanfiction is that we can take our favorite characters and put them in a situation of our choosing, while still mixing in a bit of cannon here and there.

I can't promise a regular posting schedule, but know that this fic will be completed.

Having said that, I ask for your enduring patience between updates. :)

I hope you enjoy it! :)

Somewhere between the hot and the cold
    Somewhere between the new and the old
    Somewhere between who I am and who I used to be
    Somewhere in the middle, You'll find me

"Somewhere in the Middle" - by Casting Crowns

Chapter 1

The article for the day?s assignment hadn?t changed no matter how many times he read over it. Laying the datapad aside, he looked at the computer terminal in front of him. He had purposely chosen a workstation near the back of the archives, one where he wouldn?t be disturbed.

Entering the information he sought into the Republic?s databanks, an abundance of resources for the time period sought was now displayed on the screen. Scrolling through the links, he found what he had been searching for. He clicked on the source and read the editorial before sending a copy to his datapad and then closing out the terminal.

His thoughts were going a mile a minute. Most of his friends had either already taken the Current Affairs course he was enrolled in or were not yet old enough to participate. He wondered if Garen had had this particular assignment last year and if he did, did he question the content. He hoped not. It was common knowledge that the articles used were recycled each year as new events occurred in relation to the topic.

Gathering his things, he hurried back to the quarters he shared with his mentor and entered his room. He once again opened the file and stared at the screen. He shook his head, turning the device off. There was no reason to be anxious about it; what happened, if it happened, occurred many years prior.

?Obi-Wan??

Upon hearing his master calling him, the young man?s mind suddenly snapped back to the here and now and the breath he had been holding was finally released as a contented sigh.

When the door to his room opened, Obi-Wan stood from where he was seated at his desk. Reaching over, Qui-Gon placed his hand on his padawan's shoulder and gave it a slight squeeze. ?Is everything all right??

?I?m fine, Master. Didn?t you have a meeting??

Turning from the small bedroom, he guided his apprentice into the common room. "I did. But then I sensed that something was disturbing you, so I thought I?d come check on you.?

?Oh. I'm sorry, Master, I didn't mean to broadcast.?

?Do you want to talk about it??

The young man was silent for some time. When he felt a soothing tendril through the bond they shared, he looked up at his mentor. ?I have to write an argumentative essay.?

The elder man tilted his head to the side and cocked one eyebrow, a knowing smile on his face. ?What?s the topic?? He motioned to the sofa and the two sat down.

Sensing his master?s earnest desire to help, Obi-Wan thought that maybe Qui-Gon would have some answers to the questions circling his mind.

?In my Current Affairs class we talked about political agendas, which then circled around to include some of the high profile families of various planets. We?ve been given articles and other resources to extract information from; we have to represent bo

2. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    OH dear Obi-Wan is in for some heavy guilt sessions.

I love how you have Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan's relationship.[:D]

It's nice to give Qui-Gon a break from being the ogre for a change.:cool: I'm doing the same in mine.

They make a good team and I'm interested in where this is headed.

Very good start bek.[face_dancing] =D=

3. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    Please continue. Qui-Gon is such a pivotal presence and so little represented.

4. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Wahoo!!! Happy dance of joy - new story from one of my fav authors.

Somehow I just suspected Obi-Wan suspected the child was he. Oh, dear, oh dear.

A problem indeed. I HOPE DRL treats you nicely enough to give us regular updates - we are impatient and curious posters (well, me anyway). :D

5. CelseteAntola

CelseteAntola TF.N Books Staff star 3 VIP

May 18, 2002
    [face_thinking] Intriguing....

I'm looking forward to seeing where you go with this. Please put me on the PM list!

~Celeste

6. nada_smith

nada_smith Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 8, 2006
    Interesting set-up! I thought the boy might be Obi-Wan, but then, I guess we don't know for sure yet, do we. Will look forward to seeing where you take this!

7. dimyavie

dimyavie Jedi Master star 1

May 3, 2006
    Oh wow. Poor Obi Wan! I'm looking forward to reading where you take this though. I love how your wrote Qui and Obi! :)

8. Nat

Nat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    Well that's a very promising plot.
    I foresee lots of dilemmas for Obi and lots of angst for Qui! Hmm yummy ! :D

I really hope to read more soon, if darth real life allows...

9. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Gkilkenny OH dear Obi-Wan is in for some heavy guilt sessions.

Possibly. ;)

I love how you have Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan's relationship.

Thanks. I like to imagine them having had a close father/son type relationship. Of course they would have clashed because they have differing views on things, but they would of worked out their differences.

They make a good team and I'm interested in where this is headed.

Me too! :p

Very good start bek.

Thank you, and I?m glad you enjoyed the first chapter!

CloneUncleOwen Please continue. Qui-Gon is such a pivotal presence and so little represented.

Chapter two is below. Thanks for reading! :)

Valairy_Scot Wahoo!!! Happy dance of joy - new story from one of my fav authors.

Thanks! I actually almost didn?t post this because I have two going as it is. I still have to update Life Beyond?. I hope you enjoy the story.

Somehow I just suspected Obi-Wan suspected the child was he. Oh, dear, oh dear.

And here I rewrote the chapter several times, omitting clues of what he was thinking. Perhaps I need more work at this suspense thing! :p

A problem indeed. I HOPE DRL treats you nicely enough to give us regular updates - we are impatient and curious posters (well, me anyway).

I will try to do my best.

CelseteAntola Intriguing....I'm looking forward to seeing where you go with this.

Thanks! I hope you enjoy the ride. :)

Please put me on the PM list!

Will do!

nada_smith Interesting set-up! I thought the boy might be Obi-Wan, but then, I guess we don't know for sure yet, do we. Will look forward to seeing where you take this!

Only time will tell. Thanks for reading! :)

dimyavie Oh wow. Poor Obi Wan! I'm looking forward to reading where you take this though. I love how your wrote Qui and Obi!

Thanks! :)

Nat Well that's a very promising plot. I foresee lots of dilemmas for Obi and lots of angst for Qui! Hmm yummy!

Thanks! We?ll see where it goes. :)

I really hope to read more soon, if darth real life allows...

As of right this minute, DRL is being rather quiet; however, I?ve got some work do for my class this weekend and a test next week. So, as far as writing goes, we?ll have to see what I can fit in. And as for work, things seem to be settling into a steady rhythm. When the semester first started it was complete and utter chaos. Only took six weeks to calm down.

Thanks again for reading and I hope you continue to enjoy the story.

Last Time in Chapter 1: Obi-Wan received an assignment in his Current Affairs class. The assignment is to read an article handed out by the instructor, research the topic and write an argumentative essay. Qui-Gon felt a slight disturbance through his bond with his padawan and went to check on the boy. And in so doing, the two discussed potential viewpoints of the topic at hand. Obi-Wan seems to think the topic may have to do with him.

And now, on with the story?. :) Hope you enjoy!

Chapter 2

She watched her children play in the garden beneath her window, her thoughts drifting back to a time that she could never truly forget.

The grounds outside the mansion were occupied by both friends and family, state, local and foreign representatives, all waiting to welcome the new Governor of their hemisphere. The servants bustled around the house readying the refreshments and the meal to be served at midday; chaos was the order of the day.

?Jace, I need you to help Ben find his shoes while I dress Ty!?

The boy in question stopped at the door to his parent?s room, a rather distasteful frown on his face. ?Do I have to? I wanted to go downstairs and see my friends.?

?Please do as I asked; there will plenty of time to see your friends during the party.?

?Why can?t Anen do it??

?Because I asked you to do it.? She picked up the tunic that lay beside the

10. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Well, if that is indeed Obi-Wan's family - he came from a good one and I think, in time, they could accept whatever choice he made as to his future knowing he was well and healthy.

I just love the set up - the parents ache for their lost child and now Qui is contemplating what is really the proper thing to do when it's his padawan at the possible center of a controversy.

11. EGKenobi

EGKenobi Jedi Master star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    wow!! What a start!

Read the sequel to Not my self too...please keep on the PM list for both of these!!

Thanks

EG

12. CelseteAntola

May 18, 2002
    *sniff* Beautiful post, bek! I could totally feel Nyla's emotions, the poor woman. :(

The shoe bit at the beginning was hysterical; I was :D at the computer screen like an idiot while reading that. It totally reminded me of my 6 year old brother.

Thanks for the PM and I'm eagerly awaiting the next installment!

~Celeste

13. TheMacUnleashed

TheMacUnleashed Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2009
    =D= I'm really enjoying this so far! Great premise, fantastic characterization and wonderful writing! Please add me to the PM list. :D

14. nada_smith

nada_smith Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 8, 2006
    Oh, I love the flashback! What lovely parents and little Ben is just as mischeivous as Obi-Wan is! Did Ben throw the shoes out the window or did they perhaps levitate out? Hmmmm? My bed has certainly eaten things, so I understand that.

I hope the family will get closure and maybe get to meet Obi-Wan. But I can't imagine him leaving the Jedi.

Thanks for the wonderful (and quick) update!

15. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    Great flashback of Ben's past.=D=
    Sounds like she loved her little Ben very much.
    O:)

16. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    Well, well, this is going to be interesting!

17. littleobiwankenobi

littleobiwankenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2009
    just found the story, and i really like it. ca´t wait for the next chapter.

if you have a PM-list, please put me on it. many thanks

18. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Valairy_Scot Well, if that is indeed Obi-Wan's family - he came from a good one and I think, in time, they could accept whatever choice he made as to his future knowing he was well and healthy.

We?ll see where the story goes. ;)

I just love the set up - the parents ache for their lost child and now Qui is contemplating what is really the proper thing to do when it's his padawan at the possible center of a controversy.

Qui-Gon is having some trouble dealing with this newfound revelation, whether it could be true or not. :(

EGKenobi wow!! What a start!

Read the sequel to Not my self too...please keep on the PM list for both of these!!

I?d be happy to; I?m glad you?re enjoying both stories!

CelseteAntola *sniff* Beautiful post, bek! I could totally feel Nyla's emotions, the poor woman.

She?s missing her little boy. :(

The shoe bit at the beginning was hysterical; I was :D at the computer screen like an idiot while reading that. It totally reminded me of my 6 year old brother.

Ben keeps his family on their toes. :D

Thanks for the PM and I'm eagerly awaiting the next installment!

You?re welcome!

TheMacUnleashed I'm really enjoying this so far! Great premise, fantastic characterization and wonderful writing! Please add me to the PM list.

Thanks! I?d be happy to add you to the list. :)

nada_smith Oh, I love the flashback! What lovely parents and little Ben is just as mischeivous as Obi-Wan is! Did Ben throw the shoes out the window or did they perhaps levitate out? Hmmmm? My bed has certainly eaten things, so I understand that.

Ben?s been experimenting with a new toy! [face_mischief]

I hope the family will get closure and maybe get to meet Obi-Wan. But I can't imagine him leaving the Jedi.

We?ll have to see what the muse has in store. ;)

Thanks for the wonderful (and quick) update!

If only they could come so quickly! :(

Gkilkenny Great flashback of Ben's past. Sounds like she loved her little Ben very much.

A mother?s love has no limits. [face_love]

ratna Well, well, this is going to be interesting!

Keep your fingers crossed! ;)

littleobiwankenobi Just found the story, and I really like it. Can?t wait for the next chapter.

Thanks for reading! :)

If you have a PM-list, please put me on it. many thanks

I?d be happy to!

Recap: Chapter 1: Obi-Wan was given an assignment to write an argumentative essay for his Current Affairs class. The topic involved a high profile family who had lost their second born son at the tender age of two years. Having discussed possible arguments with his mentor, he finally admitted to Qui-Gon that he thought the child in the article could be himself. Chapter 2: We were introduced to Ben Abram?s ? the child who went missing at the age of two ? family. After thirteen years, Rayfe, Ben?s father, feels the family needs some new scenery in order to keep moving forward. Having received his wife?s consent, he was planning to run for a seat in the Senate. And now, on with the story?.

Chapter 3

Two Months Later

?Remember, we have to be quiet! Sinterklas doesn?t come unless he thinks we?re all asleep.? When the little one slipped his small hand into the larger palm, the two eased their way down the staircase.

?Do you tink he?ll come??

?As long as we don?t get caught,? the older boy whispered.

?Go play with the little kids!?

The toddler stomped his foot on the ground, his arms held stiff at his sides, his fists clenched. ?I not wittle!?

The older boy turned him around and pushed him towar

19. CelseteAntola

May 18, 2002
    Yay! An update! [face_dancing]

Great job! I really liked how you switched between characters and kept a kind of third person POV to build the suspense. I'm totally looking forward to the next chapter!!

Thanks for the PM!

~Celeste

20. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    Dreams that don't pass ....

A changing point of view ....

"Ghosts" in the gallery ....

Oh my!

:eek: @};-

21. TheMacUnleashed

TheMacUnleashed Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2009
    =D= Good continuation! Things are getting very suspenseful as you start to weave the two lives together. Thanks for the PM!

22. dimyavie

dimyavie Jedi Master star 1

May 3, 2006
    Updates make my life so much better. ;) Thanks! I love how you wrote Qui regretting what he said to Obi...it shows how much he cares. (I'm a Qui/Obi mush fan, what can I say?) I look forward to reading more, and seeing where you go with this story!

23. GeneralKenobi7

GeneralKenobi7 Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 18, 2009
    Oh, I love the beginning! It is really intriguing...
    Can you please add me to your PM-list?[face_praying]

24. littleobiwankenobi

littleobiwankenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2009
    just had time to really read the hole three chapter. Still love out it work out, can´t wait for more.

I love Obi and Qui Storys.

25. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    CelseteAntola Yay! An update! Great job! I really liked how you switched between characters and kept a kind of third person POV to build the suspense. I'm totally looking forward to the next chapter!!

Thanks, I?m glad your enjoying it! :)

ratna Dreams that don't pass.... A changing point of view.... "Ghosts" in the gallery.... Oh my!

One would think that someone was trying to tell him something?. ;)

TheMacUnleashed Good continuation! Things are getting very suspenseful as you start to weave the two lives together.

dimyavie Updates make my life so much better. Thanks!

Mine too! ;)

I love how you wrote Qui regretting what he said to Obi...it shows how much he cares.

He and Obi-Wan have developed a father/son relationship, something he doesn?t want to lose.

(I'm a Qui/Obi mush fan, what can I say?) I look forward to reading more, and seeing where you go with this story!

Me too! I also enjoy Obi/Anakin mush as well. :)

GeneralKenobi7 Oh, I love the beginning! It is really intriguing...

Can you please add me to your PM-list?

I?d be happy to!

littleobiwankenobi Just had time to really read the whole three chapters. Still love out it work out, can?t wait for more.

I?m glad your enjoying it! :D

I love Obi and Qui Stories.

Me too!

Recap: Chapter 2: We were introduced to Ben Abram?s ? the child who went missing at the age of two ? family. After thirteen years, Rayfe, Ben?s father, feels the family needs some new scenery in order to keep moving forward. Having received his wife?s consent, he was planning to run for a seat in the Senate. And now, on with the story?. Chapter 3: Obi-Wan is having dreams about what he knows not, only that some are decent and some not so much. Qui-Gon is visiting with Master Yoda while Obi-Wan and Garen go out into the city to visit the History Museum, while there and unknown to him, Obi-Wan meets the elder brother of the missing child he researched for one of his classes.

Chapter 4

The anxiety the Jedi master was feeling leaked out into the force around him, causing Yoda to make a suggestion. ?Start at the beginning you should.?

Qui-Gon closed his eyes briefly before refocusing on his grandmaster. The words were hesitant at first; he wasn?t sure if the details should be told. A force touch from his elder soothed his troubled soul and before too long the story poured forth like a waterfall. When the last had been spoken, Yoda nodded thoughtfully as his memories took him back to the day when a young Obi-Wan showed up on the Temple?s doorstep.

?Brought to the Temple by a young woman he was,? was a murmured response.

?His mother?? Qui-Gon inquired, hope not quite hidden in his tone of voice.

?His mother she claimed to be. Never have I felt the force in such agitation as when she arrived with the bundle she carried. Only when the matter was settled and custody transferred did the force then quiet. Lovingly does it wrap itself around him; fond of him it is.? The elder absently chewed on his gimer stick for a brief moment. ?Meditate on this, I will.?

?And if it?s true,? the younger man whispered.

?Fight for our own we always have; no exception will this be.? Realizing that Qui-Gon was troubled over a possible scenario that may never come to fruition, Yoda tapped him on the knee. ?Worry not, for your ally is the force.?

The Jedi shifted his position and rose to his feet. ?But can it keep the justice system from interfering in our affairs? They have no jurisdiction over us as the Council internally handles any transgressions, but what if they decide to press the matter and intervene? Can we keep them from taking him??

?Cross one bridge at a time, Master Jinn.? Yoda nodded