main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends The Seeds of Doubt (pre-TPM) drama / action ~ Entry 3: Maul at the Jedi temple & Qui and Mace chat.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Blue Ice Cream, Mar 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue Ice Cream

Blue Ice Cream Chosen One star 6

Aug 9, 2006
    Title: The Seeds of Doubt

Author: epithree

Genre: drama, action

Characters: Dooku, Sidious, Maul, Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan, Yoda, Mace, Jango

Timeline: pre-TPM

Summary: Darth Sidious has recruited Count Dooku as an apprentice long before he?s finished utilizing Darth Maul.

While planning the blockade of Naboo, the dark lord sends Maul to Coruscant disguised as Jedi Master Sifo-Dias. Darth Maul?s mission is to erase Kamino from the Jedi archives.

Wanting this honor himself, Dooku becomes jealous and plans to ruin Maul?s task by leaking the information to his former padawan, Qui-Gon Jinn. This ensures a confrontation between Maul and the Jedi.

As Darth Tyranus, Dooku?s lust for power causes him to employ a team of bounty hunters to assist with capturing Darth Maul. The count hides his actions from Sidious as Maul attempts to discover who is responsible for the sabotage.

Dooku also hopes to be sent to Naboo during the forthcoming blockade affair, but Sidious has already enlisted Maul for that duty. The count wants Maul out of the picture sooner than the eventual replacement planned by Sidious.

Each of the three Sith has his own agenda, and this story explores the outcome.

Disclaimer: Star Wars is not mine. Just playing with the sand.

Notes: How is it spelled... 'Tyranus' or 'Tyrannus'? :)

[b][color=blue]A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...[/color][/b]

[color=yellow][hl=black][b]STAR WARS[/b][/hl][/color]

[b][u]The Seeds of Doubt[/b][/u]

[i]The galactic republic, which has stood for countless generations, has become weak and corrupt. Damaged by shady, crooked politicians, the senate is crumbling. Those who sought to protect the republic, the heroic Jedi Knights, have become disillusioned. Seizing upon this unexpected opportunity, numerous crime syndicates have started to increase their activity. Disorder and chaos now rule the galaxy, beckoning a Sith to take action.

Eager to take advantage of the situation, Darth Sidious, Dark Lord of the Sith, has employed the proper steps to ensure a future blockade of the planet Naboo. This bold move shall lead to the fruition of his ultimate plan, which requires that the existence of a planet known as Kamino be kept secret from the Jedi Order. The dark lord?s apprentice, Darth Maul, has been sent to handle the matter.

Acting against harsh Sith tradition, Darth Sidious has recruited a new student to eventually replace Maul. Amongst wild space, the dark lord and this new apprentice are to meet at an unknown system...[/i]

[b]~Prologue~[/b]

[b][i]Unknown System, Wild Space[/b][/i]

[b]A[/b] unique spacecraft drifted slowly towards the nearest star, an orange dwarf sun that would burn for another five billion standard years. Positioned directly ahead and precisely at the center of the viewport, the giant ball of plasma was halfway through its evolutionary cycle. Oddly enough, no system of planets revolved around this sun.

The only other visible wonder in the uncharted system was a tiny, brown, useless planetoid. Not quite spherical, the heavily cratered body was now at opposition to the craft. Once the ship's orbital sequence began, the vantage point would change, allowing the floating rock to be seen. No longer blocked by the system?s orange star, the bumpy planetoid would show itself emerging from behind the corona.

A backdrop of distant stars could be seen in all directions. The near barren system was uncharted for the usual reasons. It had no known resources and nothing to offer the galactic community. This unknown system represented the far out suburbs of the galaxy, and it did not have any nearby neighbors. That is precisely why the newest member of the Sith Order, Count Dooku, chose it.

Dooku came here to have important discussions with his new mentor via subspace transmissions, for they could not yet risk an actual meeting. Their unlikely relationship could not be revealed, and the count had received strict orders to do it this way. So that's exactly what he did.

The

2. Blue Ice Cream

Aug 9, 2006
    It?s time for the first installment. :) Enjoy.

[b][u]Previously (During the Prologue)?[/u][/b]

[i]Aboard his solar sailer, Count Dooku makes contact with his new master, Darth Sidious. The count transmits from an unknown system among Wild Space, for he could not yet risk an actual meeting with the dark lord.

Sidious explains the various stages of his plan for galactic domination, while Dooku expresses his aversion to the dark lord?s other apprentice, Darth Maul.

After an update from Sidious about Maul?s purpose, Dooku heads for Kamino to handle his own task.[/i]

[b]~Entry ONE~[/b]

[b][i]just outside the Rishi Maze, hyperspace[/i][/b]

[b]D[/b]ooku's solar sailer raced through the mottled light of hyperspace, en route to Kamino.

Seated upon the co-pilot's chair, Count Dooku glanced at the astrogation monitor. The readouts told him that the ship was now shooting by the Rishi Maze. Oddly enough, the borders of this particular zone were devoid of any obstacles. ?Splendid,? the count thought. ?Just twelve parsecs to go... ample time for me to conduct my business.?

After reactivating the pilot droid, Dooku stood up regally and headed out of the bubble dome cockpit. His cape fluttered as he strode by the bulkhead.

Headed for the galley, Dooku first entered the dark, nearby corridor where he had spoken to Darth Sidious. He stopped just before the holoprojector protruding out from the arched wall. It was currently deactivated, and Dooku was a bit wary of using it for a transmission with anyone other than Sidious. However, complete secrecy was needed if the count was to communicate with his new acquaintance.

Using the untraceable holoprojector was a risk he would have to take. To use his personal communications array at his study would be foolish, for he was about to discuss business with a bounty hunter.

Being a former Jedi Knight, the count knew all too well how efficient the Jedi were at intercepting transmissions. Count Dooku would conduct other business at his study soon enough, but now it was time to use the holoprojector.

Any reluctance to use the device was a product of the count analyzing the idea earlier at the cockpit. As he was staring at the intermingling strands of hyperspace, he had arrived at his decision. Yes, Darth Sidious would know if the device was used, but Dooku hypothesized that the dark lord would not be angered if he used it for Sith business.

It was true. He was using it for matters of the Sith Order. They just happened to be matters that he had to hide from Lord Sidious. And there was even more he had to keep hidden from the dark lord, like his secret relations with the Jedi, long after he had left the order.

?Now to the business at hand,? Dooku mentally told himself. He toggled the appropriate levers and knobs in preparation for his transmission. The corridor lights dimmed, and the holoprojector displayed crackling blue images.

Once more, the projector would be operating, but this would be a very different transmission than the one Dooku had with Lord Sidious. There would be no reverence for the man he was about to address. As a matter of fact, Count Dooku was standing in the most regal of fashions, trying to intimidate with his distinguished look. However, the count failed to realize that this man would not be intimidated.

Dooku stared at the visage before him, a holo produced with pale blue light. The shaky transmission was far more ominous when Sidious was the one Dooku was talking to.

The holo image was of a man, clean-shaven with his arms crossed. The look upon his face meant he was all business. He was wearing a simple shirt, which appeared blue due to the color of the transmission. Dooku knew nothing of the man's whereabouts. The holo only showed the man's figure, and nothing more.

The count had simply punched in the coordinates for transmission, and the man was waiting just like he said he'd be. Dooku nodded at the man ever so slightly, but that was the full extent of his greeting.

"I take it things are proceeding as planned," Dooku announced to the ma

3. littleobiwankenobi

littleobiwankenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2009
    a new story, I just found it. Hopeful to hear more from Qui Gon and Dooku.

please pm for me thanks

4. Blue Ice Cream

Aug 9, 2006
    Hello there. :)

Dooku and Qui-Gon have a rather important exchange during the next entry. :D

You've been added to the pm list. Thanks for reading!

5. Blue Ice Cream

Aug 9, 2006
    It?s time for the next installment. :) Enjoy.

[b][u]Previously (During Entry ONE)?[/u][/b]

[i]Dooku begins his journey to Kamino. Traveling through hyperspace aboard his solar sailer, Tyranus contacts a new acquaintance via holo transmission.

The count proceeds to elaborate upon his scheme to capture Maul, which requires the services of this man. Revealed only as Jango, the human bounty hunter enlists a team of his peers to assist with the devious plan.

Jango explains that his apprentice Zam has secured the striking points at Coruscant. After a stern warning from the count, Jango guarantees results. Dooku heads towards his private study, where he would deal with the next phase of his intricate plot.[/i]

[b]~Entry TWO~[/b]

[b][i]nearing the Kamino system, hyperspace[/i][/b]

[b]A[/b] pensive Dooku now cut through the ship?s galley and headed for his personal den. It was time to make contact with a former colleague.

He entered the decorative room and sat at his extravagant desk. Datapads were stacked upon it, next to a communications array. The walls were lined with folders of flimsies, and the many shelves made the study look like an impressive private library.

Dooku quickly configured the array to send an alert on a particular frequency. This transmission would be coded, with no danger of being detected. The count had worked out the specifics with his former padawan, and the plan was mutually beneficial.

The Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn had been alerted. Now Dooku needed only to wait. Qui-Gon would see the alert flashing upon his specially made comlink, and he would contact his former master as soon as possible.

Dooku looked over some datapads while he waited for a reply. He didn't have to wait long. A light flashed upon his nearby array, telling him contact had been made along that particular frequency. He switched on the attached comlink.

Sitting at the desk in a stately manner, Dooku spoke as if Qui-Gon was aboard the solar sailer with him. "Qui-Gon my friend... greetings." The communications console picked up the diction perfectly, sending the regal sound of Dooku's voice across the cosmos to Coruscant.

Being the lone passenger aboard his solar sailer, Dooku allowed Qui-Gon's voice to resonate throughout the study.

"Hello master," Qui-Gon said softly. His tone was a bit subdued.

"Are you alone now?" Dooku inquired.

"Yes," Qui-Gon answered. "And I responded quickly, just as you had requested."

"Was it a problem?" the count asked.

"I had to snub a few council members." Qui-Gon's inflection made it clear that he was just teasing his prior master. "Why do you always find it necessary to contact me during meetings?"

Dooku allowed himself the briefest of laughs. "My apologies," the count said playfully. "I take it you are currently within the temple?"

"Yes," Qui-Gon explained. "A meditation room... easy to dodge people."

"I admire your commitment to our little agreement," Dooku told the Jedi master.

"Good... because no one else would try to pull this off." Qui-Gon spoke the words harshly enough to get his point across. However, traces of his unique brand of humor were still detectable.

"You have agreed to stay in contact with me long after I've left the order," Dooku pontificated. "Of this, I am grateful."

"Well, as you know, I am sympathetic to your concerns. In fact, I agree with many of your viewpoints on the republic... but I won't abandon the Jedi Order," Qui-Gon stated with authority. "So if this is another attempt to persuade me to become a separatist, you can just stop right now." His statement was earnest.

Dooku exhaled. "No, my friend... I respect your continued allegiance, and I am most impressed that you have accepted my decision to leave."

"You can't persuade me to believe it was the right move," Qui-Gon said with concern. "Nevertheless, you have my loyalty."

"Then I take it you'd like to get to the business at hand, my friend." Dooku interlocked his fingers and put his hands upon the desk.

"Yes." Qui-Gon's reply came with restrained anticipation. "Is

6. littleobiwankenobi

littleobiwankenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2009
    =D=

another update for the weekend.

I wonder what Qui Gon will find

"I can tell you this," Dooku offered up to ensure that the plan worked. "Look for Sifo-Dias accessing the Jedi archives."

hopeful, Qui-Gon will take the hint, and do something about it!!

7. foxsolo

foxsolo Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2005
    Great job so far! This story is well-written and has such an interesting premise. I look forward to more.

8. Corpseslayer

Corpseslayer Jedi Master star 1

Nov 6, 2009
    Add me to the PM list!!!

9. Blue Ice Cream

Aug 9, 2006
    Thanks for reading. :)

Qui-Gon shall certainly explore Dooku's claim about the Sith... with unexpected results.

Entry three is coming soon.

10. Blue Ice Cream

Aug 9, 2006
    Thanks. :)

11. Blue Ice Cream

Aug 9, 2006
    It?s time for the next installment. :) Enjoy.

[b][u]Previously (During Entry TWO)?[/u][/b]

[i]Nearing the Kamino system, Dooku contacts his former padawan Qui-Gon Jinn. At one of the temple?s meditation rooms, Qui-Gon proceeds to converse with Sidious? newest apprentice.

The count reveals that a Sith has infiltrated the Jedi temple and advises Qui-Gon to look for Jedi master Sifo-Dias accessing the archives.

Hesitant at first, Qui-Gon finally agrees to check it out. As compensation for the information, Jinn accepts Dooku?s request for a favor. When the time comes, Qui-Gon must allow Dooku to handle the expulsion of the Sith.[/i]

[b]~Entry THREE~[/b]

[b][i]-Jedi temple, Coruscant-[/i][/b]

[b]I[/b]t was mid-afternoon at the Jedi temple. Upon one of the many meditation balconies, the Sith Lord Darth Maul stood, staring ahead through the cluttered skylanes at the crimson sun.

Here at the temple, Darth Maul was known as Jedi Master Sifo-Dias. The dangerous charade had been working for just about a standard month now, and it was almost time to leave. The next few days would require Maul to hack into the Jedi archives and ultimately, make his escape.

Thin wisps of cloud shot across the Coruscant sky, but the beauty of it all was lost to someone like Darth Maul. All he saw was Coruscant's dominating star, blazing with power and intimidation.

The dark lord traversed across the bright surface of the balcony. The earlier white clouds gave way to the elongated reds and oranges of the afternoon, and the sky shone a brilliant yellow as evening approached. Again, the splendor wasn't acknowledged by Maul. He stopped at the edge of the balcony, in earshot of the next one.

Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn, and his apprentice Obi-Wan Kenobi, were standing upon the adjacent balcony, completely unaware of Darth Maul's presence. Even if they had peered over the railing to look on the next balcony, all they would see was their colleague and friend, Jedi Master Sifo-Dias. The disguise had been flawless so far. And Darth Maul's ability to cloak his dark side aura was impressive. Darth Sidious had taught him well.

The Jedi Qui-Gon, and his padawan, continued to admire the impressive panorama while pondering the subtle intricacies of their newest assignment. "Why do you suppose they chose us, master?" Obi-Wan questioned.

By enhancing his auditory prowess through the dark side of the force, Darth Maul easily heard the question, regardless of the high noisy winds of the upper temple. The dark lord instantly knew what Obi-Wan was asking about. The hot topic this week had been the upcoming blockade of a lush world called Naboo. Darth Maul fiendishly smiled at the thought. His innovative and brilliant master, Darth Sidious, was responsible for the blockade. Of course, the feeble Jedi were naively unaware of that. They thought it had to do with the taxation of trading routes. ?Pathetic Jedi,? Darth Maul thought. ?Their ignorance shall be their undoing.?

Darth Maul knew that *he* would be the one chosen by his master to hunt the Jedi at Naboo. And the Zabrak was quite aware of Dooku?s existence. He had heard many tales about him during the stay at the temple. However, what Maul didn't know was that Count Dooku wanted the Naboo honor for himself.

To Maul, the count was now an ex-Jedi supporting the separatist movement. They had never met, and Darth Maul didn't know that Dooku was now apprenticed to Sidious. The count was being groomed to replace Darth Maul. Yes, truly the Sith played dangerous games with each other.

Darth Maul continued to listen, unbeknownst to the Jedi.

"It's difficult to say," Qui-Gon said as he stroked his beard. "It is the way of the force and oh..." Qui-Gon looked at Obi-Wan with a smirk and laughed quietly. "I've dealt with banking clan types many times, my padawan. They're quite similar to what we're going to be up against."

Obi-Wan laughed as well. "It's the way of the force indeed! I knew they chose us for a reason. How similar are they, master?"

Qui-Gon pu

12. Blue Ice Cream

Aug 9, 2006
    Hello there. :) Added you to the pm list.

13. Blue Ice Cream

Aug 9, 2006
    Here is the current pm list:

epithree
    littleobiwankenobi
    Ki-Adi-Mundi_33

Thanks for reading. :)

14. DarthCambius

DarthCambius Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 12, 2007
    please add me as well. I like how this has started out. Maul is a sneaky dude....

15. Blue Ice Cream

Aug 9, 2006

Added you to the pm list.

Thanks for reading. Psyched that you liked the beginning. He's sneaky indeed... wait until we see what else Maul has up his sleeve.

16. Blue Ice Cream

Aug 9, 2006

Announcement:

This story has not been abandoned. I've been away for a while, but now I'm back. 'The Seeds of Doubt' shall be continued.

Next entry is coming soon.

~epithree

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.