main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga A Life for a Life - Obi, Qui, Ani - AU, Angst, H/C - The end of TPM, redone

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by The_Zeltron, Nov 3, 2010.

1. The_Zeltron

The_Zeltron Jedi Master star 6

Sep 29, 2010
    Title: A Life for a Life
    Author: The_Zeltron
    Timeframe: TPM
    Characters: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Qui-Gon Jinn, some Anakin Skywalker, a little Padmé Amidala
    Genre: AU, Angst, H/C
    Summary: What happens when Obi-Wan receives visions of the future just before their second landing on Naboo? Will he be able to save Qui-Gon? Will he do it for himself, for Qui-Gon, or for the little boy from Tatooine?
    Disclaimer: All recognizable characters, worlds, etc., belong to George Lucas. I am just borrowing them. No money is being made from this story in any way.
    Notes: I?m sure someone?s thought up a similar storyline before. But hopefully you?ll enjoy my perspective on it. Let me know what you think!

Chapter I: Before Tomorrow?

Oh Force! It was happening again. Ever since his Master, Qui-Gon Jinn, uttered those fateful words in the Council chamber: ?I take this boy as my Padawan Learner,? Obi-Wan?s nights had been plagued with visions of a menacing, black-robed figure, his face obscured by shadows, stalking his master in a location Obi-Wan did not recognize. It always ended the same way, and tonight was no different.

Obi-Wan watched helplessly, his imaginary view obscured by an opaque, thrumming red obstacle, while the figure in black struck his master down on the rim of a seemingly bottomless shaft. Once again, he jerked awake to his own screams of pain and horror as the glowing red blade pierced his master?s body.

Calming himself with an effort, he looked around. He was in his own cabin, on a starship heading back to Naboo. His master slept safely down the hall, a mere two cabins away. Still, the young man reached out to touch his master?s mind, as he had done so many times in the past few days. He was sleeping soundly, undisturbed by his Padawan?s turmoil, as was everyone else on the ship.

Obi-Wan rested his chin on his hands, thinking back to a few days previous, when the gap that had formed between him and Qui-Gon had been opened. Though the anger he had felt at Qui-Gon?s thoughtless words had been quickly released, he had been rather surprised to find that it was directed mostly at the Council, for denying Anakin training. If it had not been for that, Qui-Gon would have left Anakin to be trained by another, and kept Obi-Wan as his apprentice.

As it was, Qui-Gon?s firm belief that Anakin was the Chosen One left him with no option but to defy the Council and train Anakin himself. Obi-Wan understood this, but his master had been distant since then, and showed no sign of desiring reconciliation. Obi-Wan himself felt uncomfortable bringing up the subject with his master, and had kept silent. And so the breach between them had widened. It was not serious, but they were no longer as affectionate toward one another, and tended to avoid each other when possible.

Obi-Wan rested his head against the cool wall and sighed. These visions were only getting worse, and he felt a need to speak with Qui-Gon about that day in the Council chamber before? before it was too late. Even to himself he did not admit his fear that Qui-Gon might die, but it was there, nonetheless, lurking in the depths of his mind. He wanted to believe his visions were merely dreams, results of his irrational fear of losing Qui-Gon?s affections to Anakin, built-up in his imagination to the point of actually physically losing Qui-Gon, but he feared they were much closer to reality than that.

Now, as he rested, the Force swirled around him, confirming his worst fears ? his visions were of a fast-approaching reality. A desperate, urgent need to talk to Qui-Gon, even to ask his forgiveness for disagreeing with him, rose inside him. For the second time that night, he calmed himself. In the morning they would land on Naboo, and he promised himself that he would take the first opportunity which appeared to set things straight with Qui-Gon.

He lay back down, calling the Force around him. For a moment he was astonished at the power with which it answered his call, but, before he could contemplate it further, he dropped off to sleep. He slept better than he had since that da

2. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    I liked this with the switch in POV. At least Qui-Gon realizes HOW his words sounded and that they hurt Obi-Wan, and Obi-Wan realizes, at least to some extent, that Qui-Gon was less casting him off than arguing the "Force's Will" to the Council, at least in Qui-Gon's opinion.

Well done!

3. Kisara_Jedi_Magician

Kisara_Jedi_Magician Jedi Youngling

Oct 20, 2010
    Wow...I really like the beginning of the story. Obi-Wan got visions of the future, hmm...you're not planning to kill him off, right? Well...if you do then please do it in a really spectacular way, fitting for our Padawan (and maybe he can come back as a Force-ghost?). And Qui-Gon realizing how deep his words can cut, I like that too. I really can't wait for the next chapter ^_^

Good Job!

PS. You do know that I feel really sad for both of them when I read this because, more than likely, judging by your title, that one of them will die for the other and there's might not be any time for them to talk it out before one of them lies dying. I'm already imagining it.

PS 2. I'm sorry if I left any rude remarks, this is my second time posting and I'm still unsure. Usually I just stand around lurking.

4. The_Zeltron

Sep 29, 2010
    Valairy_Scot wrote: I liked this with the switch in POV. Thanks!:) I felt that the POV switch was the best way to show the feelings on both sides, and build up the story the way I wanted it.
    At least Qui-Gon realizes HOW his words sounded and that they hurt Obi-Wan, and Obi-Wan realizes, at least to some extent, that Qui-Gon was less casting him off than arguing the "Force's Will" to the Council, at least in Qui-Gon's opinion. Yes, that's how I tried to make it. Whenever I watch TPM, I see that slight flicker of Qui-Gon's eyes as he looks at Obi-Wan after saying he'd take Anakin as his Padawan, and I can't help but feel that it must have hurt to say that and see how much it hurt Obi-Wan, at least on some level. I also wanted to try exploring a different aspect of that "confrontation."
    Well done! Thanks so much, Val!:D

Kisara_Jedi_Magician wrote: Wow...I really like the beginning of the story. Obi-Wan got visions of the future, hmm...you're not planning to kill him off, right? Well...if you do then please do it in a really spectacular way, fitting for our Padawan (and maybe he can come back as a Force-ghost?). Well, I can't really say yet, can I?;) I do promise, if he dies, he'll get a death worthy of him.:)
    And Qui-Gon realizing how deep his words can cut, I like that too. I really can't wait for the next chapter ^_^ Thanks!:) See above for my reasons behind it.;) Oh, and here's an update!:)
    Good Job! Thank you so much, Kisara!:D
    PS. You do know that I feel really sad for both of them when I read this because, more than likely, judging by your title, that one of them will die for the other and there's might not be any time for them to talk it out before one of them lies dying. I'm already imagining it. Thanks for your words! Actually, your way of putting it helped me with a scene I couldn't quite get the way I wanted it, so thank you very much!:D Read on to find out more about how close your guess is!;)
    PS 2. I'm sorry if I left any rude remarks, this is my second time posting and I'm still unsure. Usually I just stand around lurking. Well, if everything I've already said isn't enough reassurance, there was nothing even remotely close to being rude in your remarks.:) I'm glad you got on, and welcome to posting on the boards!:) Also, as I said, your words helped me out, so I'm very glad you chose to do more than lurk this time!:p

Now, on with the next chapter! I think this one's a little longer than the last one.:p

Chapter II: Whisper of the Force

The hustle and bustle of unloading everyone and everything from the Naboo cruiser had given neither master nor Padawan time to bring up the subject foremost in both of their minds. Now, everything was fairly peaceful again, while everyone waited patiently for Jar Jar Binks to return with news of the Gungans.

Obi-Wan glanced over at Qui-Gon, standing near the body of water that Jar Jar had disappeared into. Qui-Gon?s arms were folded in front of him, hands loosely grasping the opposite arms, while he gazed at the water. He was the picture of serenity, and Obi-Wan was loath to disturb him. He hesitated for a few moments, before finally deciding to take the opportunity to speak with him, even if it meant disturbing him. Just as he reached his master?s side, Jar Jar popped out of the water a few yards away.

Obi-Wan wanted to groan with frustration, but instead followed his master to where Jar Jar now stood, and waited patiently through his half-understandable tale. According to Jar Jar?s description, the Gungans were no longer in their underwater cities, but had fled to a ?sacred place? to hide or wait. Despite the sacredness of the place, Jar Jar immediately offered to lead the party there.

Obliged to give his attention to the rest of the group, to prevent straggling, and at the same time keep his senses attuned to any warnings of danger from the Force, Obi-W

5. Kisara_Jedi_Magician

Kisara_Jedi_Magician Jedi Youngling

Oct 20, 2010
    Thanks, I'm glad I could help you and also thanks for reassurance. I like this chapter too but some parts made me shivered.

Here's one:"Yes? tomorrow. Tomorrow you will talk to him, and tomorrow your heart will be rent in two. Tomorrow you will lose something precious, but tomorrow you will gain something even more so."- That's a really ominous warning. I could understand certain parts of it like: "Yes? tomorrow. Tomorrow you will talk to him, and tomorrow your heart will be rent in two.", I'm guessing the next chapter is the fight and one of them will die. I could understand that if one of them die before they are able to talk it out their hearts will be rent in two. This part I don't really understand: "Tomorrow you will lose something precious, but tomorrow you will gain something even more so.", losing your Padawan or Master will really hurt, but i don't understand what precious thing will they get. Experience, a new Padawan (Anakin), a little help from the Force (aka Force-ghost) or what. It's going to be very interesting either way you put it.

Another thing that made me shivered is this:A life for a life?- It's like a simple way of saying "one has to die for the other to live". And I'm leaning that's going to be Obi-Wan, because if Qui-Gon died then it will be like following canon, but then again you might surprise me.

Interesting thing that Master Yoda heard the whisper too. How will this warning effect the Order or Yoda. You keep a very good suspense here.

Overall good job! I'll be looking forward to the next chapter.

P.S. I'm sorry to ask, but how do you use emoticons?

6. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Oh, not good, not good at all. Unless you're just setting it up this way, it appears Obi-Wan will sacrifice his life to save Qui-Gon, and if so, will gain the knowledge of his master's true affections for him just before he dies (because, after all, Qui-Gon will live to train Anakin hence no need for those words of training the boy).

I hope I'm wrong.

I hate to read a dead or dying Obi.

But I trust you'll do a fine job no matter how you go - I'll just have tissues on hand if necessary.

7. Jedi_MasterSkywalker

Jedi_MasterSkywalker Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 29, 2010
    Very Good Zeltron. I think you have a good handle on Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon's characters.

8. The_Zeltron

Sep 29, 2010
    Kisara_Jedi_Magician: ...That's a really ominous warning. I could understand certain parts of it like: "Yes? tomorrow. Tomorrow you will talk to him, and tomorrow your heart will be rent in two.", I'm guessing the next chapter is the fight and one of them will die. I could understand that if one of them die before they are able to talk it out their hearts will be rent in two.

Yes, it was meant to be ominous. And yes, that part I expected would be understood.

This part I don't really understand: "Tomorrow you will lose something precious, but tomorrow you will gain something even more so.", losing your Padawan or Master will really hurt, but i don't understand what precious thing will they get. Experience, a new Padawan (Anakin), a little help from the Force (aka Force-ghost) or what. It's going to be very interesting either way you put it.

Again, yes, I meant for that to be confusing. You're close in some respects, but, as I've seen others say, no cigar.:)

Another thing that made me shivered is this:A life for a life?- It's like a simple way of saying "one has to die for the other to live". And I'm leaning that's going to be Obi-Wan, because if Qui-Gon died then it will be like following canon, but then again you might surprise me.

I'm hoping I'll surprise you.:)

Interesting thing that Master Yoda heard the whisper too. How will this warning effect the Order or Yoda. You keep a very good suspense here. Overall good job! I'll be looking forward to the next chapter.

Thanks so much! And here's the next chapter!:D

P.S. I'm sorry to ask, but how do you use emoticons?

That's fine. In the area above your post, there is a button that says "faces ;)." Click on that, and it will display all the emoticons for you.:)

Valairy_Scot: Oh, not good, not good at all. Unless you're just setting it up this way, it appears Obi-Wan will sacrifice his life to save Qui-Gon, and if so, will gain the knowledge of his master's true affections for him just before he dies (because, after all, Qui-Gon will live to train Anakin hence no need for those words of training the boy).

Okay, I guess I should try to be an evil author.[face_devil]:p Seriously, though, you are getting the impression I wanted. Time will tell whether it's the right one or not.[face_whistling]

I hope I'm wrong. I hate to read a dead or dying Obi. But I trust you'll do a fine job no matter how you go - I'll just have tissues on hand if necessary.

Thank you very much for your vote of confidence. You might want to keep those tissues on hand, though.[face_devil]:p Oh, and here is a new chapter.:)

Jedi_MasterSkywalker: Very Good Zeltron. I think you have a good handle on Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon's characters.

Thanks so much!:D

Alright, everyone, here's the next chapter. I'm sorry it was so long in coming, but I had some problems figuring out how to start it.:p Yes, you read that right. How to start it.[face_laugh]

Chapter III: Jedi vs. Sith

The hustle and bustle of preparation, followed by the hurried transfer of beings and equipment from their campsite to the speeders, had kept Obi-Wan away from his master all that morning. Thanks to the number of handmaidens the Queen had with her, Obi-Wan had been obliged to ride in a separate speeder with the Queen?s head of security while Qui-Gon stayed in the speeder which carried the Queen herself. Once in the capitol, Obi-Wan had been kept busy protecting the Queen while Qui-Gon kept an eye out for danger. Thus, when the battle for Naboo was finally joined in the streets of Theed, master and Padawan were still on opposite sides of their own small battle. Both wished for reconciliation but neither had found an opportunity to truly seek it.

Now, Obi-Wan strode across the hangar by his master?s side. The droids had been defeated and the pilots had all taken to the air. One Naboo starfighter remained, with the Queen?s blue astromech in the droid comp

9. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Well, the tissues have not come out of the box. Yet. Next chapter? Good depiction of the battle.

10. serendipityaey

serendipityaey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2004
    Interesting start, I'm curious to see where this will go. I like seeing what Qui-Gon is thinking, as well. Looking forward to more!

11. Jedi_MasterSkywalker

Aug 29, 2010
    Great battle scene, and again I like the hearing Obi-Wan's thoughts during this duel. Well done Zel.

12. The1stJediPrincess

The1stJediPrincess Jedi Master star 2

Sep 20, 2010
    Great descriptions of the fight scene. You captured Obi-Wan's thoughts and emotions really well.

13. The_Zeltron

Sep 29, 2010
    Valairy_Scot Well, the tissues have not come out of the box. Yet. Next chapter? Good depiction of the battle.

No, I'm afraid not. I thought this chapter would finish the duel, but it turns out it hasn't. Hopefully the next chapter.:) Thanks so much!:D

serendipityaey Interesting start, I'm curious to see where this will go. I like seeing what Qui-Gon is thinking, as well. Looking forward to more!

Thanks! And here's the more!:D

JMS Great battle scene, and again I like the hearing Obi-Wan's thoughts during this duel. Well done Zel.

Thanks so much!:D

The1stJediPrincess Great descriptions of the fight scene. You captured Obi-Wan's thoughts and emotions really well.

Thank you very much!:D Hopefully this next chapter will be as good.:)

Chapter IV: An Impossible Choice

The catwalk from his dream. No, Obi-Wan whispered to himself. The time was nearing for one of them to die, and he knew it. He felt cold. Never before had he had a premonition of death so strong as now. He had seen the only two possible futures, and one or the other was fast approaching.

Obi-Wan shook himself. Now, when the vital moment was close, was not the time to surrender to fear of the future. He?d had plenty of time to do that after his visions showed him the possible futures. Now was the time to make sure Qui-Gon survived this duel.

He attempted to regain his partially lost focus, but it refused to come. Resigning himself to functioning at half-efficiency for now, rather than leaving the fight entirely to collect himself, he continued to duel, but dropped into a support position.

Despite his efforts to stay alert, his inability to focus cost him badly. Maul pinned his lightsaber blade to the ground, holding it there while he spun his opposite leg around from behind and kicked him heavily under the chin. Obi-Wan moaned as the kick spun him sideways before sending him to the catwalk. The impetus of both the kick and spin caused him to land on his side on the edge of the catwalk, forcing a cry from him, before sending him hurtling into thin air.

He was falling free, but he saw a catwalk below him, its larger, rounded section where he would land. In his vision, he blacked out just before impact, and, even though he was dropping helplessly, he couldn?t help wondering what would actually happen now. Soon he found out, as the catwalk seemed to rush up at him.

Moments before he struck, he heard Qui-Gon?s shout in his mind, and suddenly realized he was about to come down on his head. Desperately, he twisted his body, moving his left shoulder under himself so that it would take most of the impact. Then, as he crashed down on the catwalk, he wondered if that was such a good idea. At least he wouldn?t have felt much if he?d come down on his head.

Oh, Sith take thinking, was the last thought in his mind as the pain began to make itself fully known. It mounted higher and higher, until, at its apex, he screamed from the agony shooting though his shoulder. And in that moment of blinding pain, the Force showed him a blinding truth: If he sacrificed himself to save Qui-Gon, he would fail, and Qui-Gon would still die.

Then why did I see an alternate destiny, where my master would live? he mentally screamed to the Force, as the realization sunk in. It answered in a whisper, almost soothing, a strange counter to the harshness of what it revealed.

You can save Qui-Gon, but you cannot do it for him. You must do it for Anakin. You must save Qui-Gon for Anakin, to be Anakin?s master, for you cannot have him.

Obi-Wan could hardly think, hardly breathe. How could he do it for Anakin? How could he let go of Qui-Gon, let go of his need to save him for his sake alone? How could he save the master he?d loved for ten years for that boy?s sake alone? Not for the long friendship between them, not for their love, not for who Qui-Gon was or for what Qui-Gon meant to him? For Anakin Skywalker, a small boy from Tat

14. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Well played! For a scene we already know, and have read in a million fan fics (and I've written, too), that was presented in such a way it came across as "fresh" and unique. I honestly didn't know how the duel would work out.

Now, I still don't how this will end, but I do sort of wonder/hope that the Force's request of Obi-Wan has a meaning that things will work out in a non-obvious way, and that I may not need the tissues :_| for the same reason as I thought a few chapters ago. Regardless, Obi-Wan has heard the Force and complied, and for a Jedi, that at least is a fitting end, if it is indeed the end.

15. littleobiwankenobi

littleobiwankenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2009
    wonderful story, I can´t wait what will happen to Obi, hopeful he will not die and Qui Gon will see what a wonderful Padawan he has.

if you have a PM please sign me in for it.

16. Jedi_MasterSkywalker

Aug 29, 2010
    This is a new side to the whole scene which I think you've done a great job with Zel. I think Obi-Wan's abilities with the Force feel real with what we know about him. Great work.

17. Darth_Drachonus

Darth_Drachonus Jedi Master star 3

Oct 4, 2005
    Add me to the list please

18. The_Zeltron

Sep 29, 2010
    Valairy_Scot Well played! For a scene we already know, and have read in a million fan fics (and I've written, too), that was presented in such a way it came across as "fresh" and unique. I honestly didn't know how the duel would work out.

Thank you so much, Valairy!:D

Now, I still don't how this will end, but I do sort of wonder/hope that the Force's request of Obi-Wan has a meaning that things will work out in a non-obvious way, and that I may not need the tissues cry for the same reason as I thought a few chapters ago. Regardless, Obi-Wan has heard the Force and complied, and for a Jedi, that at least is a fitting end, if it is indeed the end.

This chapter has the end of the duel, so you can find out... some of it.[face_mischief] FYI, if you're going to need tissues, this is probably the chapter for them.;)

littleobiwankenobi wonderful story, I can´t wait what will happen to Obi, hopeful he will not die and Qui Gon will see what a wonderful Padawan he has.

Thank you!:D This chapter shows the end of the duel, so some questions will be answered.:)

if you have a PM please sign me in for it.

You're on.;)

Jedi_MasterSkywalker This is a new side to the whole scene which I think you've done a great job with Zel. I think Obi-Wan's abilities with the Force feel real with what we know about him. Great work.

Thank you so much, JMS!:D I really appreciate your continued reviews and encouragement.:)

Darth_Drachonus Add me to the list please

You're added. Thank you for reading!:)

I'm sorry this chapter took so long to get up. The Thanksgiving holiday and some issues with the boards have been quite effective in keeping me from writing and posting. However, as a reward for waiting:p, this chapter does have the long-awaited end of the duel and is rather longer than my usual posts. Also, I suppose I should issue a tissue warning. If you're going to need tissues, it's probably for this chapter.;) Now, on with the story.

Chapter V: Sacrifice

Obi-Wan knew he was running toward his death, and for a boy he barely knew, but he did not stop or hesitate. This was what the Force wanted, what it required, and he would do it. He charged the Sith, spinning and slashing upward with his lightsaber as he reached him, driving the Zabrak back toward the energy gates.

The Sith defended himself viciously against Obi-Wan?s attacks, unwilling to move backward into the deadly energy gates, which had started opening from the opposite end of the long hallway. Obi-Wan grew somewhat desperate as he felt Qui-Gon coming up behind them, still a ways off, but closing. He willed the energy gates to open more quickly as he swung his blade toward Maul?s feet. The Sith countered with a Sai maneuver, leaping up over Obi-Wan?s blade while swinging his duel-bladed lightsaber downward in an attempt to remove Obi-Wan?s left arm, which hung uselessly at his side, still cushioned by the Force.

Obi-Wan twisted his body aside just in time, bringing his lightsaber around to catch Maul?s upper blade as the Sith landed. Using the Force to lend strength to his blow, Obi-Wan succeeded in forcing Maul backward through the now-open energy gate behind him, effectively putting a bit more distance between them and Qui-Gon. They continued to duel, moving even farther down the hall and away from Qui-Gon.

Obi-Wan felt intensely relieved when he heard the energy gates begin to close again, starting at the same end they had opened from. He knew the gates would keep Qui-Gon from reaching them, and finally felt free to give his full attention to the duel. However, his momentary distraction allowed Maul the opening he needed, and the Sith spun toward him, landing a full kick to his broken left shoulder.

Obi-Wan nearly screamed with pain, though the Force-cushion deadened it somewhat. He staggered back, bringing his lightsaber up barely in time to block a blow the Sith directed at his head. Despite his pain,

19. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Oh, [:D] I think I [face_love] you. Even [:D] for Anakin.

[face_dancing] [face_dancing]

What a wonderful post - and so much was said that should have been said, was needed to be said, and all that.

Wahoo!

20. The1stJediPrincess

The1stJediPrincess Jedi Master star 2

Sep 20, 2010
    How did I miss this?? I'm hooked. Obi-Wan, please don't be dead...we need you!
    Great story! Obi-Wan's death scene was very touching. [:D]

Please add me to PM list! [face_praying]

21. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    I can't believe I missed this great story. I love your version of the events.:cool:
    Although I'm dreading the part where Obi-Wan dies, I can't bear the thought.

I wonder if it will make a difference having Qui-Gon train Anakin, Palpatine was pretty convincing in his manipulation of Anakin.
    I could hope that Obi-Wan survives this[face_praying] and together they raise Anakin to defeat the sith.

A life for a life' is literal though. So, I guess I better get the tissues out in expectation.

Well done =D=

22. Jedi_MasterSkywalker

Aug 29, 2010
    That was great Zel. That kind of sacrifice is very true to Obi-Wan I think. In terms of Qui-Gon training Anakin, I also that think that would have made a huge difference on how Anakin grew up. IMO Obi-Wan was still too young to have a padawan that powerful in the actual time line. You Anakin can change everything, again. Awesome.

23. The_Nerfherder

The_Nerfherder Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 19, 2010
    Hmm ... Anakin seems to know something Qui-Gon doesn't. Well done! =D= Please PM me when you update.

24. littleobiwankenobi

littleobiwankenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2009
    =D=

what a wonderful story, but I think this will not the end of Obi Wan

thanks for the PM

25. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    Love it Zeltron! I'm a big Qui-Gon fan and I think you're true to him and Obi-Wan. =D=