main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Always Something New - Young Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon - late mush, one-post.

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ardavenport, Apr 3, 2011.

1. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Title: Always Something New
    Author: ardavenport
    Timeframe: Pre-Saga, Pre-TPM
    Genre: Drama, Mush, AU
    Characters: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Qui-Gon Jinn, OCs
    Keywords: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Qui-Gon Jinn, meal, padawan
    Summary: Young Obi-Wan Kenobi goes to meet his master for a meal outside the Temple for the first time.
    Note: In the DVD commentary of The Phantom Menace, during the scene where Qui-Gon first tells the Council about Anakin, George 'The Maker' Lucas specifically says that he expects that Jedi younglings are trained by Yoda until they are 7 or 8 years old when they are taken by a master; that is the background for this story.
    Notes: Typo is my middle name, with missing words and errors that spell checkers do not catch being my specialty - if you see any, just post a reply or send a PM with the what and where and I will kill them with no mercy.
    Disclaimer: All characters and the Star Wars universe belong to George and Lucasfilm; I am just playing in their sandbox.

Young Obi-Wan Kenobi arrived at the large eating hall, but even before he looked around, he sensed that his Master was not there. Subtly emptier by the lack of his Master's presence, the room softly echoed with the mummers and noises of the many Jedi seated at small tables where they ate and conversed. Obi-Wan rose up on his tiptoes, trying to make the most of his nine year-old height to see past all the people and tables. He did not expect to see Qui-Gon Jinn, but he did not know what else to do. His Master was always there after he finished with his morning class with the other younger Padawans.

"Padawan Kenobi?"

Obi-Wan jumped and turned around to look up at a tall Oblobian Jedi standing right behind him. Obi-Wan did not know her; she tilted her long dusty orange head at him, her golden hair tail falling down over her shoulder almost to her waist. She had small, kind green slitted eyes.

"Master Qui-Gon asked me to give you this." She handed him a small data screen. "He wishes you to meet him for second meal."

Clasping the screen with both hands, he read the message. Qui-Gon wanted him to come to a public restaurant. Outside the Temple. He stared down at the glowing text and the coordinates under the message. Qui-Gon had not said anything about this at morning meditation. What had changed?

Beyond the screen, he saw the Oblobian's boots. She was still waiting. Hastily, he looked up.

"Thank-you . . . . for giving me Master Qui-Gon's message." He did not know her name and he could not think of a polite way to ask. He did not ever remember seeing her with Qui-Gon.

She looked amused as she bowed in return and left him.

How was he going to get to Master Qui-Gon? He had been outside the Temple and off world many times before, but not by himself. The coordinates for the public restaurant were not even in the same sector as the Temple.

He quickly moved aside for three large and brawny Jedi holding trays and looking for a free table. One of them quirked him a fanged smile, silently letting him know that they had seen him and would not have run him over. He returned the smile with no confidence and then moved to stand by the side of the entryway to the eating hall.

Looking at the message again, he realized that this was some kind of test. His Master expected him to be able to make his own way to him. He left, hurrying down the hall in the opposite direction of the Jedi going to their meals.

He made his way to the ground transportation bay, a large, imposing and dark space on a lower level.

"I require a speeder," he announced to the attendant droid, a skinny blue-gray metaloid Temple unit.

"Do you have your Master's permission?"

"Yes." He held up the screen for the Droid's eye-scanners to see.

"This seems to be in order. Please wait here." The droid politely inclined its small round head before leaving. Obi-Wan stood, looking around at the entry space of the large, darkened transport depot.

A noise and presence from behind alerted him and Obi-Wan tur

2. nada_smith

nada_smith Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 8, 2006
    I saw your name and the words "young Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon" and "mush" and I was instantly excited. I was not disappointed. Very good job!

I admit that at first when Obi-Wan seemed to be piloting his way alone to an unfamiliar destination at the tender age of nine I was having panic attacks imagining all the things that might go wrong. Of course it would be different with Jedi. They began learning self-reliance or perhaps more aptly reliance on the Force at such a young age. I like how you show how training gradually cultivates that resourcefulness and competence in them. Still I'm glad in the end that it seems the grizzled Jedi was watching over Obi-Wan the whole time.

Smart Obi-Wan to realize it was a bit of a test the whole time, even if he wasn't sure what the test was. I'm not sure I entirely understand how Qui-Gon was being tested though. I'm impressed Obi-Wan did such a good job with the complicated meal even while he was so hungry. Liked how he watched Qui-Gon to see what to do and that he only earned one frown.

The meal itself was so wonderfully described. You're so imaginative!

Loved the story!

3. obimom

obimom Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2010
    Loved the detail of this gourmet, many coursed meal and hungry young Obi-Wan having to restrain his appetite to learn the fine points of fine dining.

This was really good. It was almost making me hungry, and it's late and bedtime and I'm not hungry..:p

4. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    that was a lovely learning curve, for both Master and apprentice.

5. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    Loved Obi-Wan's nervousness and how he can't tell that something special is going on. The meal was wonderfully described and interesting. I loved Qui-Gon getting a test, too. Great vignette!

6. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    nada_smith: Thanks! Glad you enjoyed the mush. Obi-Wan is about the same age as Anakin was when he was pod racing, so it seemed that he would be fine in Coruscant traffic, but not very experienced. But as a budding diplomat, he would be able to figure out the formal meal. :)

obimom: Little Obi-Wan is thoughtful and can work his way through a complex meal. Thanks for reading!

Gkilkenny: Thank-you! Masters and Padawans are all about learning.

Luna_Nightshade: Thanks! It seems reasonable that Jedi Masters would be tested along with the Padawans. it just might be a surprise for the Padawans to find out about it. :)

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    That was a delightful wonderful read. Now I want to eat all that stuff myself - sounds delicious!

But you have to go somewhere like that who knows how to eat the delicacies properly :p

8. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Aaah, didn't see your reply before now. Aaaaah, Jedi travel the whole galaxy, so who know what they have to eat and how? Their training on this would start early. Thanks for reading!:)