main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"The Complexities of Family" (JA) - Sequel to "Home Sweet Home".

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by padawanmac, Jul 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. padawanmac

padawanmac Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 7, 1999

Hi everyone, I have returned!

Okay, after months and months of writing I have finally produced the sequel to Home Sweet Home. If you don't remember it (or haven't read it) then I really hope someone has a link to it. It has been so long since it has been on the boards, it is no longer in circulation (I think).

Anyway, for those who did read it, it basically comes straight after Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon return home after Obi-Wan finds out that Qui-Gon is his real father. It follows the difficulties and turmoil he endures from everyone at the Temple.

So, anyone interested in reading it? Let me know.

BTW - the whole story is written up so there shouldn't be any long waits for a post.

2. Amidala_Skywalker

Amidala_Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 2001
    Ohhhh sounds good :) :)

3. Keyla_Kenobi

Keyla_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 24, 2000
    Me!! Me!!! I read "Home Sweet Home" and I loved it!! Please post this one! :D :D :D

4. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    one word....

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deffinately!!!!

5. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Padawanmac is back! Hooray! *does little Jedi Jig of Joy*

Of course I'm interested in reading it! Where is it? Where's the first post?

6. padawanmac

Jul 7, 1999

Thank you very much for all your replies. I guess I'll post the first bit for you.

Enjoy!

BTW - this entire story is from Obi's perspective.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Complexities of Family.
    A Sequel to Home Sweet Home.

I can?t believe it got to this point. Me, move out? Leave? It doesn?t seem real and I keep pinching myself in the hope that I?ll awaken from this dream. No, this nightmare. Garen sits next to me on his extremely comfortable couch. I say extremely comfortable because it?s the type of couch you melt into, as though you?ve moulded your body into its frame. If I lean back far enough or hard enough, I could possibly vanish into its blue depths. The reason my mind decides to contemplate Garen?s couch is as a means of escapism. The number of ridiculous and inconsequential thoughts the mind can concoct when one is distraught astounds me. I suppose it?s some sort of defence mechanism. Some sort of shield or protective layer you put up to protect your mind from unwanted thoughts or images like weatherboards propped up to protect one?s home from an incoming storm.

The storm of my life.

Damn! I?ve thought about it again. Every time I allow my thoughts to wander or even deliberately ponder something as far reached from my current situation as possible, the truth ? or reality ? assails me.

I have temporarily separated from my Master ? my father ? and decided to stay with Garen and his Master. Temporarily of course. I must stress this. My love for my father and reverence for my Master won?t allow me to separate from him for too long. Despite all my protests to the contrary, this I know. This I have always known.

Perhaps you are then wondering why it is that I left in the first place? You are right in questioning my motives. You see, I had to get out of there. My world had turned upside down and inside out. Wait, now I know I?m sounding melodramatic. At least I can find my own faults. This is yet another defence mechanism. Trying to convince myself that all is not right in the Universe, in my life. Otherwise, I feel guilty.

Let me rephrase. I need space, some time to think. Since returning from Melidia I have barely had the time to breathe. Then, there were the other things. The things I don?t wish to think about. The things that have me concentrating on the intricate pattern on Garen?s couch right at this very moment.

Sweet, sugary scents waft into the room from the kitchen and I glance up to see Garen?s Master enter. With him he carries two steaming cups of Thespian tea.

?Thank you.? I murmur as he places one down on the small table beside me. He hands the other cup to his Padawan and pulls up a chair to sit opposite me. Neither he nor Garen had spoken and I notice him looking at me curiously before I raise my eyes to meet his. The questioning look in his grey eyes alert me to what he wishes to say before he opens his mouth.

?What happened??

The tea burns my throat as I swallow harshly, the rich and somewhat sickly flavour branding itself on my tongue. Suddenly, the light tones of the standard Jedi carpet is very intriguing. I make note of the subtle way the blues and greens and greys blend in together, swirling around and my blue-green eyes catch onto a strand and follow it around the room until it is lost to sight behind the holoprojector. Have you ever stared at one particular spot, never averting your eyes until everything in your peripheral vision slowly dissolves away and all your left with is a hazy feeling, clouding your mind and vision? I wish it were permanent. A voice keeps jolting me out of my delusional bliss.

?Obi-Wan?? The hand that Garen roughly applied to my shoulder brings me back and I manage to save my tea from flowing freely onto the carpet I was so enthralled in moments ago.

They want to know what happened. I suppose that?s not too much to ask. After all, they are letting me stay for as long as I want ? or need to, they made that explicitly clear. Why would I not tell them? My only reservation is the horrid, gut-wrenching feeling that env

7. Cheryl_Kenobi

Cheryl_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 6, 2001
    What happened did the counsil think it was best if they weren't master-padawan?

8. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    I loved Home Sweet Home and I'm soooo happy to find the sequel! Please post more soon!

9. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    I don't think the Council had anything to do with this, it sounds like Obi-Wan took the time he needed to go away and think things over.

Good start! Looking forward to more!

10. KADI-WAN_KENOBI

KADI-WAN_KENOBI Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 9, 2000
    That was great! I can't wait for the next post. :)

By the way, here is the link to Home Sweet Home:

Home Sweet Home

11. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I loved Home Sweet Home, and am thrilled to see a sequel.

You've done Obi-Wan's thoughts fantastically, the way he tries so hard to not thin of what brought him to Garen's apartment.

I stellar start Padawanmac!! :) :)

POst often, post soon!!

12. jedi_master_gimpy

jedi_master_gimpy Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2000
    Yes!!!! padawanmac, I *loved* "Home Sweet Home", which I'm sure you recall ;) and I am SOOOOO happy you decided to write a sequel!!

That was a completely WONDERFUL start and I'm looking forward to more! (HINT,HINT!) :D

13. ewen

ewen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    Can't wait for more.But I really need that link to "Home Sweet Home" If anyone has it, would they please post it for me?!?!?!?!?!PEACE

14. I love Sci Fi

I love Sci Fi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    Home Sweet Home!!!! Oh my gosh, you don't know how long I've been trying tothink of the name of that thread. I lost track of it in the middle!! **Sneaks out to reread hsh**

15. Jedi_Borme

Jedi_Borme Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 17, 2000
    I loved "Home Sweet Home" I can't wait to read more of this story. Please post more soon.

16. padawanmac

Jul 7, 1999

Hey everyone!

Thanks for all your responses! I'll probably post more today.

Ewen - Kadi-Wan_Kenobi just posted the link to Home Sweet Home in her reply post. Scan back a bit and you'll find it just before your post.

17. Obi the Kid

Obi the Kid Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    WOOHOO!! I sequel!!!!! Great beginning!

18. padawanmac

Jul 7, 1999

Okay, I have returned. Thank you for being so patient. Here's the next installment.

BTW - It's a long one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Previously?

?Look, up here! I can fly!? My fellow Jedi Padawan, Reeft exclaimed as he jumped off a high beam and sent himself plummeting to the ground before gathering the Force around him to slow his descent. He sat on the padded mats, a triumphant grin on his face as he surveyed his group of friends, myself included. His gaze faltered when it reached me however and it turned into an almost respectful smile.

Pretending not to notice, I clapped my hands together in mock praise, shaking my head in disbelief at my friend?s somewhat childish antics. ?We all know you can fly Reeft. You are the fighter pilot amongst us.?
    ?Yes, but can he fly as well as you Obi? You are the son of the great and mighty Qui-Gon Jinn!? Garen?s voice held no artificial respect or grandeur for the statement. In fact, it
    was very much on the verge of mockery, there was laughter and almost disbelief behind his words which indicated to me that Garen couldn?t care less who I really was. I confess it was a huge comfort to know that I still had someone who saw me for who I really was. Just the regular Obi-Wan Kenobi, boy next door.

Don?t get me wrong, I love my friends, really, I do. They have been there for me through it all and although that sounds completely overblown and cliché, it?s the truth. We have always been a tight-knit group, Reeft, Garen, Bant and me. Nothing could tear us apart. Well, so I thought.

Reeft is the eldest amongst us and hopes to be a fighter pilot as I previously stated. He has been flying all his life. Anyone who walks into his room in the quarters he shares with his Master needs to wear some form of head protection. It is a safety precaution I unfortunately learnt the hard way. I had a bump the shape (and size) of a headhunter on the crown of my head for a week and ended up in the infirmary. But then, I am prone to injury?

Probably my longest and most respected friend is Bant. She is a Calamarian and has the largest, most expressive and innocent eyes I have ever before encountered. You don?t want to go swimming with her though. The last time I did that, she sped off on me, leaving me lost in the murky waters on some distant planet during a joint mission. I spent my entire time under there trying to find her. It wasn?t until I was pulled out semi-unconscious by my Master that I realised she had emerged on the other side fifteen minutes prior to my rescue. As a result, I was forced to spend overnight in the medical ward with strict instructions to ?take it easy? once being released. You?d think that Bant ? wanting to be a Jedi Healer ? would have understood the risks?

Garen is the only human I have had the longest friendship with. Like me, he wishes to become a Jedi Knight and tour the Universe for the greater good. Believe me, I have received many a lightsaber burn from our ?duels?, if you could call them that. He always cheats. I put that down to the knowledge that he can?t beat me, he only wins when I let him win. That?s the story anyway and I?m sticking with it. Besides, from this moment on, the majority of lightsaber skills I have acquired and can carry out have been associated with practice and inheritance. Qui-Gon is known as the most skilled and accomplished swordsman within the Jedi Order. This sounds like I?m bragging, doesn?t it? Well, fine. Let me brag. No one could be more respected, admired and adored than my Master. He has earned his right to be here and I?m proud of him. Imagine that, a son being proud of his father. Shouldn?t it be the other way around? It probably is?

?So, what was it like?? Bant?s timid voice rang out across the training room to reach my ear and bring me out of my reverie.

?What was what like?? I quickly spit my sentence out before turning my head to sneeze several times. Looking up, I noticed Bant?s ?you-know-what-I-mean? look cross her face. It was in fact in reference to my sneezing. The cold I had developed duri

19. Cheryl_Kenobi

Cheryl_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 6, 2001
    GAH is he dying? did he fall from the beam? post now!!!

20. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    I loved the different descriptions of Obi-Wan's friends and the way they reacted to the news, especially the way Bant was now hesitant and deferential. I also liked the way Obi-Wan was remembering different fun times he'd had with them; getting lost underwater while looking for Bant, bumping his head in Reeft's room and ending up in the infirmary, the way Garen never wins unless Obi-Wan lets him...(uh huh.)

So the great Qui-Gon Jinn has arrived at the gymnastics room and scared his padawan half to death, huh? Looking forward to more!

21. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Loved it padawanmac... Jane pretty much summed it up for me. :D :D

22. Obi the Kid

Obi the Kid Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    noooooo! Dont leave us there!! POST!!!!

23. I love Sci Fi

I love Sci Fi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    ROFLOL oh my gosh. er um, I think that was supposed to be a cliff right?, uh, more please?

24. Master_Tahl

Master_Tahl Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 10, 2000
    Yay a sequel! Lol, that was a great post. Obi's feeling dramatic today isn't he?

25. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    NOOOO! Post! Please post! I like the use of first person here. Cool fic and can't wait for more!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.