main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Behind the Mask-Updated (yet again) 9/10!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Melyanna, Aug 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Melyanna

Melyanna Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    This is my rewrite of The Phantom Menace , told (mostly) from the point of view of Sabé, the handmaiden who switches places with the Queen. I'm just posting the first section of this to see if there's any interest in yet another rewrite. I'll be writing the whole story eventually, but if there's interest here, I'll finish it a lot sooner. :)

-------

"Our situation is dire indeed," Queen Amidala stated to the small gathering of her closest advisors and friends. In the group was Governor Sio Bibble, who looked panicked, as was expected. Panaka, captain of the Queen's guard, looked uncharacteristically agitated, probably because he knew that they would all be disarmed and helpless soon. Four handmaidens were huddled behind the rest of the guards, but the fifth, a girl of the Queen's height, with dark hair and eyes, and a pale face, stood apart from the other girls and the guards.

"But there is still hope," the Queen continued.

"Surely you will not sign the treaty they will offer you, Your Highness!" Bibble interrupted.

"No, I will not," she replied emphatically. "I will never sell my people. But I have received word from the Chancellor that two Jedi are on their way. I have reason to believe that they will be here with us soon."

No one responded. The Queen knew that they hoped she was right. It was common knowledge that Amidala could not touch the Force, but she had prescience and insight that were uncanny in one so young. She knew that at this point, their knowledge of her abilities were all that were keeping hope alive for them.

Seeing that no one wanted to offer any kind of solutions, she said, "I wish to prepare myself for this meeting, so if you will all excuse me..."

The group began to file out of the antechamber, and the Queen called after, as if an afterthought, "Sabé, help me a moment."

The handmaiden who followed the Queen into the dressing chamber was the one who had stood out earlier. As soon as the girl had closed the door to the dressing room, Amidala pulled off her elaborate headdress.

"What are you doing?" Sabé cried out in alarm.

"We must trade places," Amidala replied. "I hate to put you in this kind of danger, but I must."

"We are already in danger," the handmaiden replied in a shaky voice, helping the Queen to wash the makeup from her face.

"Yes, but these invaders will want to imprison or even kill you if you refuse to sign the treaty they will offer. But there is a chance, if I am a handmaiden, that I can escape to Coruscant and go before the Senate," Amidala answered, removing her ornate gown.

Sabé followed suit and began to undress. "But I do not have your gift for politics," she protested.

"All you will have to do is tell them no. You've heard me tell them no enough that you can imitate me, I'm sure."

As the Queen helped Sab? into the gown, she sighed. "But I'm not you, Padmé."

The Queen was glad that her handmaidens were too far away to overhear this. They would have been scandalized to hear Sabé address the Queen by her given name, a name only a few people knew. Amidala didn't care, though. "No, you're not me," she replied, helping Sabé with the headpiece. "But you are my twin sister.

"You know that our father advised me to take you as one of my handmaidens instead of our youngest sister. He seemed to know that things might come to this, and having my twin around might be useful." She brought her makeup over to Sabé and began applying the white base. "This is like when we were little girls and we switched places to fool our teachers at school. But you must have confidence in yourself, sister."

Sabé was silent as the Queen finished her makeup. "No, Padmé, it's not like when we were girls. Lives are at stake. But I will be you, convincingly, I hope." She held her arms out and turned slowly. "How do I look?"

"Like me. No one will be able to tell the difference. Do I look like you?"

"Yes, sister. Shall we go to meet the enemy?"

"You are the Queen now," Padmé answered. "It is your decision, and you must lead the way."

-------

2. thegreatyoda

thegreatyoda Jedi Master star 4

Jun 10, 2001
    MORE! MORE! MORE! I saw this story while you were looking for a title and fell in love with the idea.

3. Melyanna

Jul 19, 2001
    By the way, any and all disclaimers apply. I don't own any of this, except my own ideas. The rest belongs to your friend and mine, George Lucas.

4. Melyanna

Jul 19, 2001
    Padmé was pleasantly surprised by her sister's performance as the Queen of Naboo. Sabé was like a flower blooming when the light shone on it. Though Padmé loved her sister dearly, she knew that she had always cast a shadow on her twin. Sabé, being shy, had allowed it and settled comfortably at Padmé's side as her assistant, advisor, and friend.

In fact, despite her protestations to the contrary, Sabé had not been driven away from politics because of lack of talent, but of a desire to live away from public life. After the untimely death of their mother, Queen Leiandra, the two princesses had ruled the planet together and made order out of chaos until the official election could take place. Padmé had handled all dealings with the grieving public, but Sabé had managed a rather nasty trade situation with admirable success. If only the people had known how much she has done, when Mother died and after that, Padmé reflected. With a smile that no one noticed, the disguised Queen thought, Of the two of us, Sabé has always been the better liar.

But now Sabé was an actress on her stage, improvising, to be sure, but sticking to the plot line. She was excellent at imitating her sister, rising at just the right moment, pronouncing with anger in her eyes and scorn in her voice, "I will not cooperate."

Padmé didn't catch Nute Gunray's response as a battle droid jabbed her in the back with a blaster. However, she caught the basic meaning of Gunray's pronouncement as the group of prisoners were herded out of the throne room. Surrepititiously she worked her way to Sabé and touched her arm, as Sabé often did with her when she was under great stress. Sabé glanced over at her, and the true Queen mouthed, "Thank you."

As the small group of captives were led across a plaza within the palace in the city of Theed, Sabé's mind raced furiously to find a way to get her sister off Naboo. She saw few options, each of them requiring a great deal of sacrifice from all of them and little certainty that Padmé would actually get to Coruscant.

She was ready and willing to give her life for her sister and her people, but a nagging doubt told her there was another way, that she didn't have to die. As if on cue, two men, accompanied by an obviously frightened Gungan, appeared on their path. Could they be the promised Jedi?

The mystery men approached. The taller of the two spoke while the younger man glanced around at the battle droids. "Are you Queen Amidala of the Naboo?"

Sabé chose not to answer, knowing better than to lie to a Jedi. "Who are you?" she asked instead.

"Ambassadors from the supreme chancellor. We seek an audience with you, Your Highness."

What impeccable timing, she thought irreverantly, striving to keep wry amusement from her face.

-------

Since we all know what happens next, I think I can safely leave this here!

5. Jade's Fire2003

Jade's Fire2003 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 12, 1999
    This is good! I look forward to more!!!

6. Melyanna

Jul 19, 2001
    I'll try to update soon. I've got a lot more written, just not typed.

7. Melyanna

Jul 19, 2001
    Hey, wait a minute. I have two readers! Wow, I feel like I've accomplished something in the eighteen years of my existance. Or maybe it's my brother who's accomplished something. He's responsible for me even liking Star Wars. Nah, I'll take the credit. :)

8. Melyanna

Jul 19, 2001
    Hmm...it may take me longer than anticipated to get the next post up. Today, when I was picking up a birthday present for my dad, I found my bookstore's last copy of Rebirth. Two days ago, they didn't even have it on the shelves yet.

9. ThatJediGirl

ThatJediGirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2001
    I like your story Melyanna! It's a great start. Now you have three readers :)

10. AngelQueen

AngelQueen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2001
    This definitely sounds interesting! You now have four readers!

AQ

11. Jade's Fire2003

Oct 12, 1999
    Up, thread, up!!! :D

12. Melyanna

Jul 19, 2001
    Thanks for the up. And the sudden surge of loyal readers too.

I'll try to have something up tomorrow...it's written, but not typed. And I have to have the written draft in front of me when I type this because it's got direct quotes from the movie.

Anyway, I have a question for you. What was your first impression of the title? It didn't occur to me until I had already posted it that most people would immediately think of Vader when someone mentions a mask.

13. Melyanna

Jul 19, 2001
    At that point the battle droids tried to get the Jedi out of the way, but the pair quickly turned them into a heap of spare parts. The five guardes rcovered weapons from them, and th Naboo followed the Jedi into an alley for protection.

Addressing Sabé, the older Jedi said, "Your Highness, I am Qui-Gon Jinn and my companion is Obi-Wan Kenobi. We are Jedi Knights as well as ambassadors for the supreme chancellor."

Governor Bibble responded dryly, "Your negotiations seem to have failed, Ambassador."

Still looking at Sabé, the Jedi replied, "the negotiations never took place." She fought to keep her face calm, which was made easier by all the paint on it. No wonder Padmé always wears this stuff.

Qui-Gon continued, "Your Highness, we must make contact with the Republic."

Sabé wasn't sure she could trust her voice; her mouth was horribly dry. Fortunately, Panaka stepped up and answered, "We can't. They've knocked out all our communications."

Alarms began sounding at his words, and Qui-Gon looked out into the street. "Do you have transports?"

Panaka answered for Sabé again. "In the main hangar. This way."

The captain led them deeper into the alley, down passages Sabé remembered from spending so much of her life in the palace at Theed. The guards were visible happy to be armed again. Sabé was grateful that Padmé had been right about the Jedi.

Arriving in the hangar, Panaka pointed to a J-type 327 Nubian. "The Queen's personal transport," he whispered.

Of course it's at the other end of the hangar.

The older Jedi replied over the continuous sirens, "That one will do."

Panaka protested, almost immediately, "The battle droids. There are too many of them."

Qui-Gon replied, "They won't be a problem." Turning to face Sabé, he said, "Your Highness. Under the circumstances, I suggest you come to Coruscant with us."

This was exactly the escape plan they needed at this point, to get Padmé before the Senate. However, she decided that her sister wouldn't agree to leaving Naboo so quickly. She shook her head. "Thank you, Ambassador, but my place is here with my people."

Qui-Gon met her gaze. "I don't think so. The Trade Federation has other plans. They will kill you if you stay."

Bibble came up to Sabé's side. "They wouldn't dare!" he cried.

Panaka joined in. "They need her to sign a treaty to make this invasion of theirs legal! They can't afford to kill her!"

Sabé glanced around, knowing that she was not masking all her uncertainty. The Jedi continued, "The situation here is not what it seems. There is something else going on, Your Highness. There is no logic in the Federation's actions. My instincts tell me they will destroy you."

She saw fear flash across the Governor's face. He slowy addressed her. "Your Highness. Perhaps you should reconsider. Our only hope is for the Senate to take our side in this matter. Senator Palpatine will need your help."

Panaka objected again. "Getting past the blockad is impossible, Your Highness?even if we were to get off the planet! An escape attempt is too dangerous?"

Bibble cut him off, shaking his head. "Your Highness, I will stay here and do what I can. They will have to retain the Council of Governors to maintain some semblance of order. But you must leave?"

Sabé raised a hand to stop him. She knew that this was the way out. She only wanted her sister's approval. She looked around at her fellow handmaidens and said, "Either choice presents great risk to all of us...," fervently hoping that Padmé would get the hint.

After a long silence, in which Sabé noticed a look of confusion of the Jedi Master's face, Padmé spoke, a certainty in her voice that told Sabé that she had understood. "We are brave, Your Highness."

Qui-Gon spoke again, urgency in his voice. "if you are to leave, Your Highness, it must be now."

Knowing what decision to make, Sabé stood a little taller and nodded deferentially. "So be it. I will plead our case to the Senate." She looked over at Bibble. "Be careful, Governor," she advised, shaking his

14. Jade's Fire2003

Oct 12, 1999
    Nice post! :D

One thing though...out of Amidala's five handmaidens, there were only two that remained on Naboo, Yane and Sache...

15. Melyanna

Jul 19, 2001
    Oops. I made up an arbitrary number. I'm not too up on prequel era stuff; I'm more of an NJO girl. I'll change that, though. Thanks!

16. Orion_Star

Orion_Star Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 10, 2001
    It's getting even better, Melyanna. Keep it comming.

17. Melyanna

Jul 19, 2001
    I really like Sabé. She's becoming a very cool character.

Anyway, I think my question got buried when I posted that last segment. What was your first impression of the title? Did you think of Vader first?

18. Melyanna

Jul 19, 2001
    Hmm, I could post the next section now...

Or I could wait a while...

Or I could wait a long while...

Nah, I don't want to lose readers. More tomorrow, same bat time, same bat channel!

19. Orion_Star

Orion_Star Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 10, 2001
    I didn't think of Vader first. I suppose I could have, but I think "Behind the Mask" is a fitting title. Stick with it unless you think up one that's more fitting.

20. jedi-thespian

jedi-thespian Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2001
    Oh! I can't believe I missed this at first! They're sisters! Great interpretation! I love it! Write more soon! (maybe with a little ::coughs:: romance?)

21. thegreatyoda

thegreatyoda Jedi Master star 4

Jun 10, 2001
    MORE! MUST HAVE MORE!

22. Melyanna

Jul 19, 2001
    jedi-thespian: Your Obi/Sabé story actually got me thinking about Sabé and Padmé some more. And don't worry; there will be some romance. (I know, I'm hopeless. :))

thegreatyoda: There will be more up today, I promise.

23. Melyanna

Jul 19, 2001
    The Jedi soon joined them, a little R2 droid wheeling along behind them. Sabé returned ot the throne, and Padmé and the handmaidens stood around her. She turned her gaze to Panaka and said quietly, "Report."

Captain Panaka told her of the ship's escape from the Trade Federation's blockade, including the valiant little droid's miraculous survival. "We are lucky to have this one in our service, Your Highness." Sabé noticed that he looked away from here before addressing her as Queen. He continued, "It is an extremely well put together little droid. Without a doubt, it saved the ship back there, not to mention our lives."

Sabé looked at the droid and nodded. "It is to be commended. What is its number?"

She wanted to smile as the droid beeped in return, as if trying to answer her. Panaka wiped some dirt off he droid and answered, "Artoo-Detoo, Your Highness."

Sabé felt that what she had to do now was slightly ridiculous, but protocol dictated that she commend any being-living or mechanical- for such outstandig service. She touched the top of the R2 and said, "Thank you , Artoo-Detoo. You have proven both loyal and brave." This droid really needs to be cleaned up, she thought. "Padmé," she called, looking over her shoulder to her sister. Padmé stepped forward, and out of the corner of her eye, Sabé saw a frown cross the face of the Jedi Master. She ignored him. "See to the cleaning up of this little droid. Artoo-Detoo deserves our gratitude." Padmé remained at her side, and Sabé realized that another important decision might be coming up. Good thinking, sister. "Please continue with your report, Captain," she requested.

"Your Highness, we are heading for a remote planet called Tatooine." He stopped there, and Sabé noted that he must have disagreed with this decision.

Qui-Gon, who had allowed the captain to speak, finished for him. "It is a system far beyond the reach of the Trade Federation. Once there, we will be able to make needed repairs to the ship, then travel on to Coruscant and complete out journey."

Panaka rekindled his desire to protest the Jedi's suggestions. "Your Highness, Tatooine is very dangerous. It's controlled by the Hutts. The Hutts are gangsters and slavers. I do not agree with the Jedi on their decision to land there."

She turned back to the Jedi. He returned her gaze unflinchingly as he replied, "You must trust my judgment, Your Highness."

"Must I?" Sabé questioned, keeping her voice low. There are many whom I should trust, Jedi. Yours is hardly the judgment I trust first. She glanced around, trying not to be too blatant in turning to her sister for advice. However, when Sabé's eyes landed on Padmé, the disguised Queen jumped slightly as if startled. She nodded once to her twin and stepped off the dais and took the droid away.

Sabé turned slowly to Qui-Gon. "We are in your hands."

Sabé avoided the Jedi through the rest of the journey to Tatooine. The less they saw her, the less likely they were to guess that she was not the real Queen. After a while, she removed the uncomfortable headdress and let Rabé and Eirtaé brush her long, thick, dark hair. Sabé felt almost at peace.

Captain Panaka's appearance in the cabin broke the tranquility. Padmé was with him. She had changed out of her crimson and gold robe into rougher, more comfortable travel clothes, well worn. Sabé raised her eybrows slightly at her sister. "Going somewhere, Padmé?"

"The Jedi Master is leaving, and he is taking the Gungan and the droid with him."

"Not his apprentice?"

"No. Obi-Wan Kenobi will be staying here iwth the ship." Padmé straightened and looked Sabé in the eye. "I wish to go with them."

"Very well. Captain, please take my sister to the Jedi, and tell him that the Queen wishes to learn more about this planet, and is sending Padmé with him. I'm sure Master Jinn will see the wisdom in traveling with a young woman."

"Yes, Your Highness," the captain answered. "After you, my lady," he said to Padmé.

When they had lest, Sabé, Eirtaé, and Rabé sa

24. jedi-thespian

jedi-thespian Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 9, 2001
    Post the romance! POST THE ROMANCE! If not, just post more soon!

25. Melyanna

Jul 19, 2001
    Don't worry, jedi-thespian. That will be in the next post. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.