main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Believe the Unbelievable - Earth meets Star Wars (JA) - UPDATED on 10/11!!! - read!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Mar17swgirl, Aug 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Hi guys! :D

This plot bunny was in my head quite a while, so after some time of thinking and reconsidering all the possibilities, I've surrendered to this very annoying plot bunny, and decided to start a new fanfic. I'm writing it with the help from I Love Sci Fi who agreed to be my beta reader. :D Thanx, Sci Fi!

It's my second one, and it's gonna be a "Star Wars meets Earth" type. It's a JA (so that means we'll get to see our beloved Master-Padawan duo Qui-Obi) and it takes place in the slight future (I'll explain later why) ? but not far, only about 6 years from now. Oh, and Earth is WITHOUT Star Wars. ;)

I'll probably need some help with the ideas later, from time to time (since I know myself, and I only have a rough outline of this story so far). But before I post the first part, I'd like to hear what you guys think of this idea so far. :)

EDIT: Since I've ran out of the ideas for this story, and have got busy with other things, I'm sorry to announce that I'm locking this topic. [face_plain] It has been dead anyway...

2. padmemicheline

padmemicheline Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 28, 2000
    Hmmm ... I think it sounds interesting. I've never read anything that has Earth meeting SW and vise versa, but since you're writing it, I'll most likely read it.

Can't wait for the first post!

3. Red_Forever

Red_Forever Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 19, 2001
    OK, I've come over here from The Force Guiding, using the link from your signature. And No post?? It's ok. I forgive you!! And Obi and Qui?? YAY!! Our favorites!! I can't wait for your first post!!

4. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    OK, people, here goes the first part. Enjoy! :)

-------------------

"Hey, Maria!"

I looked up from the Physical Review Letters I was reading. My friends always asked me why couldn't I just relax during the lunch breaks. The truth is, I couldn't. I loved my work and studies so bad, that it filled every second of my free time. Well, not every. I do have my hobbies, the sport, painting, and movies. But in the last couple of months, I had to cut down almost all of them, because of more projects in work and school. And I had this dilemma about my dissertation thesis. The thing is, I couldn't decide what to write about. I know I had quite many experiences with some projects at NASA, but none seemed to be working for a good topic for the thesis.

Anyway, I sighed and looked up. It was Jimmy, my friend from Caltech and colleague from NASA (we both worked there part-time, hoping to get a full-time job after finishing the studies).

"Jimmy!" I called and smiled. "How's it going?"

I put the Letters down and took a sip of my coffee. Jimmy sat down at my table and heaved this very deep sigh. We always laughed at him, because he was quite an actor.

"Same as always."

"That bad, huh?" I gave him a knowing look.

"No, just kidding. I've finished my thesis today."

"Lucky you." Boy, did I envy him. "I don't even know what am I gonna write about."

"Why don't you try that pulsar research?"

"Nah, there are too many people doing it already."

"Who?"

"For instance Mike. And also Chris Fawler and that stupid Nicole Garcia. Ugh, how I hate her."

Jimmy took a mouthful of the French Fries I'd left on my plate.

"So?" He asked with his mouth full.

"I want something original. Like something no one has ever written about."

"Good luck." He grinned and so did I. "Anyway, what are you doing tonight?"

"Well, I'm actually? uh, OK. I'm free." I put this innocent smile on my face.

"What about going out? To the movies?"

"Sure. But only if it's a good movie."

"I'll check what are they playing and I'll call you."

"Okay."

I finished my coffee and started putting my stuff in my backpack.

"So, what are you planning to do during this holiday?"

Summer break was starting.

"Well, I'm gonna stay here for a few days and then I'm going home."

"You mean Slovakia?" He asked, a little bit surprised.

"Well, yea," I answered, in a matter-of-fact tone. "The last time I was there were the Christmas holidays. And I miss them a little bit."

That was true. And it was kinda funny. When I first came to USA in 1998 as an exchange student, I didn't see my parents for 10 whole months and I didn't even miss them. Well, I didn't miss them that much. And I was fifteen then. Now that I'm twenty-four, I'm amazed of myself that I can be so homesick.

Jimmy nodded.

"Oh. And when are you coming back?"

"I don't know. August, maybe. I need to get back to work."

Jimmy theatrically rolled his eyes and threw up his arms.

"Oh, please, please, PLEASE, tell me you're joking! What kind of sick individual would like to work during the holidays anyway?" He looked at me with raised eyebrows. "Seriously, if I were you, I'd stay there as long as possible."

I laughed. He just looked so funny.

"So you call me a sick individual," I said and slapped him very lightly in his face.

He grinned and we both burst out laughing. I really liked Jimmy. When I finished my Master's studies at Charles University in Prague, Czech Republic, and came to Caltech to continue in graduate study, Jimmy was my first friend. We had so much in common and we could spend hours talking about many things. He really had good point of view, on many things. We became very good friends, and a strange thing is, that we never fell in love with each other. Actually, we helped each other with problems in relationships with our boyfriends and girlfriends. And I think that made our friendship even more unique, better and nicer.

We parted when we got outside to the parking lot. I had a free afternoon, but Jimmy

5. I love Sci Fi

I love Sci Fi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    **bows** your welcome Mar!

6. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    To the top!

7. padmemicheline

Aug 28, 2000
    Great start, Mar! When can we see more?

8. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Yay! Someone has replied! :D Yes, the next part will be up tonight. I'd also like to hear other people's feedback... :D

9. Red_Forever

Red_Forever Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 19, 2001
    This is interesting! And you can guess what I'm going to sway next, since I say it all the time:

Post more soon!

10. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    OK guys, here's the next part. And please, tell me what you think! :)

----------------------------------------

I started my car and drove home. It was an old Ford, I bought it only recently, because I finally managed to save some money, and I was getting sick of asking my friends so give me a ride. I drove through the streets of Pasadena until I got to my block of flats. I lived in a small, 3-room flat with my friend from school, Annie McIntyre. She was two years younger than me and was graduating next year. She was a very cool gal, though. She had black curly hair, and blue, blue eyes. And she was pretty short, only 5'5", and compared to my 5'11", we were a very unusual pair of girls when we went somewhere out.

I opened the front door and ran upstairs to the third floor where we lived. I rang the bell, but no one replied.

"Damn it!"

I cursed and started looking for my keys. And of course, me being the walking proof of Murphy's laws, I had them on the very bottom of my bag. I finally opened the door and came in. I walked through the living room into my bedroom. It was pretty messy. Papers, books, dictionaries (I still have to use a scientific English-Slovak dictionary occasionally), and issues of Physical Review Letters were lying on my desk and on the ground and my laptop was buried somewhere between the blankets of my bed. I looked at myself in the mirror and grinned.

"Oh well, typical scientist." I said loudly.

I had this habit from my childhood. As the only kid, I didn't have many opportunities to talk to anyone at home ? except my parents. So I talked to myself in the mirror. It was fun, and even after so many years, I'm still doing it occasionally. Then I rolled my eyes.

"Shut up, Maria, you're not a real scientist yet."

I sighed, put down my backpack, and threw myself on the bed. Man, was I tired. I haven't slept well in the past month or two, and I really looked forward to the holidays. Mmmm, I would sleep until noon everyday, doing nothing, just relaxing?

Which reminded me. I jumped up and went to the living room to the phone. I had to call my parents and tell them I was coming. They knew I was coming, but I hadn't told them when exactly. Annie didn't mind my phone calls to Europe. We paid for our living expenses half-half. But when I called to Slovakia, the bill naturally went up, so I paid extra for that. I looked at my watch. It was 13:30, plus 9 hours that makes 22:30, hmmm, they won't be asleep yet. I dialed the number and waited.

"Prosim?" (Hello?) My Dad answered it.

"Ahoj, tati, to som ja." (Hi, Dad, it's me.)

"Majka! Ahoj, ako sa mas? Ako ide skola?" (Majka! Hi, how are you? How's school doing?)

They called me Maja or Majka back home. But here in USA I was used to Maria, partly because I didn't feel like explaining everybody that "j" in Slovak was pronounced as "y", and I didn't like the look of written Maya or Mayka. Ugh. It looked like Russian. And I always hated when people thought I was Russian. I didn't mind them thinking I was Yugoslavian, but still?

"V pohode. Ako sa ma mamina?" (All right. How's Mom?)

"Celkom dobre, uz spi. Mam ju zobudit?" (She's fine, she's asleep already. Should I wake her up?)

"Nie, nechaj tak. Pocuvaj, volam ti, ze kedy pridem. V nedelu v noci mi leti lietadlo z L.A. do Viedne, potom prejdem do Bratislavy osobakom, a odtial IC-ckom do Popradu. Prichod je v pondelok o 21:22, prides pre mna? (No, don't bother. Listen, I'm calling to let you know when I'm coming. On Sunday night I'm flying from L.A to Vienna, then I'll get to Bratislava by train and from there to Poprad with the InterCity train. The arrival is on Monday at 9:22 PM, will you come to pick me up?)

"Samozrejme ze pridem. Uz sa na teba tesime." (Of course I'll come. We can't wait to see you again.)

I smiled. Yea, my parents.

"Dobre tati, len to som chcela. Uz musim ist. Maj sa a bozkavam maminu!" (OK, Dad, that's all I wanted. I gotta go. Take care and kiss Mom for me!"

"Maj sa, zlatko." (Take care, honey.)

"Cau!" (Ciao!)

"A

11. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    just uppinn...

12. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Upping again... Please, someone, give me some feedback!!! :)

13. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    This thing fell to the page 3 in just one hour!!! :eek:

14. Aralna

Aralna Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2000
    In answer to your request for feedback, I'm going to think of something to say. *thinks* Umm... *thinks more* Hmm... Oh well, the only thing I can think of to say is that that was a good post. :)

15. padmemicheline

Aug 28, 2000
    Uppin for ya, Mar!

16. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Thanks, padmemicheline. :)
    Anyways, the next part will be up soon. :)

17. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Up...

Just waiting for my beta reader (I Love Sci Fi) to send me her comments on the next part. :)

18. Jade's Fire2003

Jade's Fire2003 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 12, 1999
    This looks really interesting!

Count me in as a reader!!!

:D UP :D

19. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Hey, new reader! Welcome Jade's Fire2003!! :D Glad u like it. It's just the beginning, but I have an outline for the story, and it looks pretty interesting (I hope so). ;)

20. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
  21. padmemicheline

Aug 28, 2000
    Upping this, for a second time. :)

22. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    OK guys, here's the next part. And, uh, sorry that our most beloved Jedi aren't coming in yet, but we will definitely see them... ;) Patience, a Jedi must have patience, remember! :D

----------------------------------

A key turning in the lock shooed away my thoughts. Annie was coming home. I was already finished with my shower and came out of the bathroom wrapped in a towel.

"Hey Annie."

"Hi, Maria."

"So, how was your day?"

"Exhausting. Working on that damn project the entire day." She sighed and sat on the sofa. "How was yours?"

"Hard, but OK."

"When you're going home?"

"On Monday. I just spoke to my Dad."

"Oh, how is he?"

"Fine. Listen, I'm going out tonight."

"With Ryan?" She asked teasingly.

I blushed. Ryan was my boyfriend. We've been going out together for half a year. I actually met him a few years ago, when I was visiting my host family in New Mexico. He was also visiting some relatives there and we became friends. We wrote e-mails to each other and when I came to Caltech we sort of started going out together.

"No. Jimmy."

"Isn't your honey jealous?" She giggled.

"C'mon, Annie, you know he's not. He knows Jimmy's my best friend."

"Just kidding." She yawned. "Well, if you don't mind, I'll take a nap. And please, don't play the music so loud."

"Don't worry."

She went to her bedroom and I turned on the TV. There was nothing on, so I was only switching through the channels. Suddenly, the phone rang. That will be Jimmy, I thought.

"Hello?"

"Hi, my little angel."

I was right. It was Jimmy. No one gave me so many nicknames as he did, not even Ryan. I grinned.

"Hi, Jimmy. So what's new?"

"Uhm, they're playing the? uh? ****, I forgot its name. But it's a really good movie. With Tom Hanks, you'll like it."

Tom Hanks is my favorite actor.

"Well, if it's with Tom Hanks, then I'm sure I'll like it. What time is it?"

"At seven." It was four fifty now. "Should I come to pick you up?"

"Yes, please. I'm almost out of fuel and I don't feel like going to the station."

"You're a lazy little one, you know that?"

"Stop calling me little one! I'm only one month younger than you and only one inch shorter! So shut up."

"All right, all right. Well, get ready, I'll come at six fifteen."

"I'll be ready."

"See ya then."

"Bye."

I hung up and went to my room. There was nothing on TV, so I took my discman and put a CD inside, Robbie Williams. He was popular when I was on high school, but I still liked his songs. I laid down on my bed and started reading "Catch XXII". It was one of my favorite ones. I read it always when I wanted to relax. Soon, I was laughing like mad, and completely forgot about the time. I suddenly realized it was five thirty.

"****!"

I squealed and jumped up. I quickly got dressed, combed my hair and put on some make up. I don't use much make up, only eye shadows, mascara, and lipstick. I was putting my shoes on when Jimmy rang the bell. I ran to the window.

"Coming!"

I yelled down at him and took my bag.

"Bye, Annie!" I called. "If someone needs me, I went to the movies!"

And with these words I slammed the door and ran downstairs.

----------
    Sorry, but it's a little bit short. :) And please, give me feedback - about any details. I want to improve my writing! :)

23. padmemicheline

Aug 28, 2000
    Well, if you ask me, I don't think you need to improve your writing at all. I think it's fine the way it is.

Keep up the good work and hope you post again soon!

24. Jade's Fire2003

Jade's Fire2003 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 12, 1999
    You're writing is great!

Post more quickly!!! :D

25. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    UP!!!

I'll post the next part tomorrow. ;) Stay tuned!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.