main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NOTE FROM ISH 1/8 POST COMING SOON! Wayward Beings--story of Qui-Gon and his first apprentice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by DarthIshtar, Sep 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Hi. I know I've been scouting around the idea of a General Rieekan or Adren Schilian story, but last year I read a fantastic story called "The First Four Days" by Ophelia and was enthralled by a character named Master Waqkem who had been Qui-Gon's first apprentice. I wrote Ophelia and begged her to let me write their saga and she gave me permission, but the original character is hers. So, first post coming after lunch!

2. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Sounds intriguing. I'll be looking out for it.

3. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    Count me in. I'm curious about what kind of master Qui was when he was young and pre-Xanatos' betrayal.

Also, I can never, never, never get enough Qui-Gon. [face_love]

4. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Well, caveat emptor because other than the short story that won second place in the www.qui-gonline.org fanfiction contest, this is my first try at Qui-Gon. But post coming in a few minutes.

5. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    The life of a spice prospector was not a pleasant experience.

Keme could no longer remember the last time she saw daylight or fell asleep without
    a biting hunger in the pit of her belly. It had been even longer since she laughed or allowed herself to cry.

But the rarest occurrence of all was being allowed to speak.

In the spice mines, any displays of humanity were punished. Keme remembered too well
    the sting of a force-whip on her narrow shoulders or the crack of a fist against her delicate jaw to forget her position.

When younger, she had filled the hours in the pitch-black tunnels by singing to herself
    or weaving tales. She would let her mind take her far away from this place to a world filled with noble-spirited princesses and kind Knights, to a realm where love and justice conquered all in even the darkest situation.

But that was just imagination and her daydreamings had been discovered by Saikar, the shaft supervisor. Her fantasy world had earned her a beating that had kept her in the infirmary for six days.

It was the first time she had let him hear her scream.

And it was the last time she had spoken.

Saikar often mocked her, saying that he'd beaten the voice of resistance out of her
    throat as well as her spirit that day. She did not dare correct him.

Perhaps someday she would have the courage or the stupidity to defy him, but for now,
    she just wanted to live to see her seventh birthday.
    "A mission we have for you."

Qui-Gon Jinn clasped his hands behind his back, his gaze fixed on Master Yoda. "What
    do you require of me, Master?"

"The mining colony of Melkork has come under...new management," Aitel Nast, a stately Gezan, continued. "They have petitioned for a mediator in the transition because of certain threats. Given your experience on Tilares, we have deemed you the most appropriate choice."

Qui-Gon frowned, his eyes flicking back to Yoda. He hadn't thought that Tilares would yield anything but more reprimands.

He had played the role of a proper Jedi, not taking sides, letting his Master take point.

Until he discovered the human rights violations on the part of the dominant party. They were holding slaves.

The slaves, finding him to be a sympathetic young man, had used him to stage an uprising that had very nearly ended in disaster.

It was not the first time he had defied Master Yoda, but it was the first time they had been of blatantly warring opinions.

But Yoda's face was impassive, revealing nothing. A mind probe revealed nothing as well.

"Indeed," he said quietly.

"Another matter there is," Yoda added.

Ah, yes. Here it comes.

"Reports there are of a child, a 'tunnel rat' as call them they do."

"Strong in the Force," Qui-Gon said carefully.

"That's the rumor," Aitel confirmed. "She spends her life in the darkness because she's able to find the spices without having to see. Many of such children have died in the mines, but she has survived.

"Our contact on Melkork will arrange for her to meet with you. You will exercise your wisdom in how to proceed."

"Yes, Master," Qui-Gon said carefully. "When do I depart?"

"A shuttle there will be for you at Eastport 322 at the ninth hour. More you will learn then."
    "So," Leren said, bemused. "Your first mission as a Knight. I imagine you're a bit apprehensive."

Qui-Gon nodded, stirring his tea. "I still haven't been partnered."

The Chandrilan junior senator shook her head. "Patience, my young apprentice," she mimicked. "In time shall be revealed all things."

Qui-Gon glanced up from the cup to send her an amused glare. "To do that not I told you. Endured it for twenty-three years I did. More experience in it I need not."

She grinned. "Indeed. So, what has you apprehensive about the mission?"

"Tilares," he said shortly.

She sucked in her breath. "That's where it's to?"

"No, but they chose me for the mission based on my performance there."

"

6. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Okay, the obvious stuff belongs to George Lucas. (i.e. Qui-Gon, Yoda, Coruscant, and a few planets). Ophelia owns Keme, Melkork, and a few characters that will be introduced much later in the story. I own Leren (the Senator), Chancellor Tor Buse, Tilares, most of the Council, and a few planets.

Please respond. Let me know how you're liking this, if you are at all.

7. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Oh, and I need help figuring out a title. Paul Scheftel, a brilliant composer of children's piano music, once wrote a piece called "Another Masterpiece" by Paul Scheftel. When I played it, I thought it was hilarious, so I borrowed the idea. Any ideas?

8. Senni_Arava

Senni_Arava Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2000
    Good start :)

9. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Qui-Gon had only been to Kessel once, as a Padawan, but the mining colony of Melkork was anything but its double.

Both worlds had a rugged, barren environment, but Kessel was run by the underlings, people with neither the credits nor the creativity to exploit their successes.

At least not while operations such as Melkork were in place.

The compound was given to opulence, its officers to corpulence.

The compound itself was sprawling, consisting mostly of administration buildings, comm centers, and 'makeshift' tapcafes that rivaled the fare of Coruscant.

Within its boundaries were the quarters of the administrators, the guards, and their families.

The mines were to the southeast, their entrance guarded. Since Qui-Gon had yet to see any workers in the compound, he surmised that they were restricted to the mines themselves and slave quarters.

He spent the first few days too busy with keeping both sides of the 'negotiations'--restrained acts of hostility--in line.

Finally, on the fourth night, their contact directed him to someone who could help him with the second half of his mission.

"Knight Jinn," Saikar called, rising from the table in the private dining room that Qui-Gon had been directed to. "An honor to speak to you in private at last."

"You will not be so honored when you hear what I have to say," Qui-Gon countered, not allowing himself to smile. "I have come to investigate one of the children working in the mines."

The other man's affected smile vanished. "Have a seat and we will discuss it at greater leisure."

"Thank you," he said evenly, sinking into one of the repulsorchairs.

The door to the kitchens slid open and a female child entered, carrying a tray in her trembling hands. Emaciated, shoulders hunched in perpetual fear, she was like something out of a nightmare.

Her tunic hung loosely about her bony shoulders and when she turned her back on them, Qui-Gon could just see a spiderweb of fresh welts. Her hair, waist-length and jet black, was in a messy braid, utilitarian and hastily done. Her eyes were downcast, her expression submissive.

She couldn't have been more than six.

"Who is this child you seek," Saikar pressed.

Qui-Gon forced himself to look away from the child. "Waqkem or Keme," he stated. "I was told that you were her shaft supervisor."

Something flickered through Saikar's eyes, then disappeared. "We have no one of that name here."

"Do not attempt to lie to me," Qui-Gon said patiently. "It is futile as well as potentially fatal."

"Do not presume to threaten me," Saikar countered harshly. "It often yields the same results."

There was a moment of silence. Qui-Gon was waiting with all the diplomatic patience the Force could give him and the shaft supervisor was doing some quick thinking.

"Keme is our ward," he said finally. "When her parents were killed five years ago, we legally took her under our care."

"Then you treat her well, under the parameters of Republic law?"

"Of course."

Qui-Gon's flickered to the girl and he caught a flash of insight. "Why don't we ask her?"

Saikar snorted. "She doesn't speak. Hasn't in the time she's been here."

Qui-Gon's jaw tightened and he turned to watch the child, now carrying drinks and sundry pastries on the tray.

"Keme, is this true?"

This startled her and the tray slipped from her fingers, clattering to the floor. The crockery shattered and she automatically dropped to her knees, fingers scrabbling frantically to pick up the pieces.

"Idiot," Saikar bellowed. "How dare you be such an oaf in front of..."

"You stay out of this," Qui-Gon rasped hoarsely. "Get out of here now."

The diplomatic patience had vanished, replaced by a blazing, dangerous fury. Saikar recognized this transformation and hesitated.

"Go," Qui-Gon roared.

That did it and, moments later, he was at Keme's side.

"Don't," he pleaded. "You'll only hurt yourself."

She did not respond or stop. The blood was flowing freely from her lacerated fingers and hands, but fear had taught

10. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Hope you guys enjoy that last post. I'm waiting patiently for this to take hold in the hearts of my regulars...

11. Amidala_Skywalker

Amidala_Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 2001
    *Regular signing in*

Ish, Wonderful job so far girl! I love the little bond which Keme and Qui-Gon are already starting to share. There was a highlight in the last post, Qui-Gon realizing who the girl was - that was touching and that shaft supervisor,

Why do I get the feeling I'm not going to like him anytime soon?

I will be looking for more, Ish! and as the subject line states Another Masterpiece!!

Am [face_love]

12. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    never like my cameo characters. that's the reason they're cameos. :) Well, cameo for now, torture for later. Glad you liked it in all its mushymashy infamy. :)

13. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    more coming soon. Anyone else out there? Delurk! Oh, wait, it's too early for anyone to be lurking. Heehee. Soon means tomorrow because right now, Am and I are having a battle of long replies to short posts.

14. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    Good start! I like the way that Keme was introduced, and the way there's already a conflict right at the very beginning; will the authorities let her go, or not? I also like the idea of Qui-Gon occasionally "defying" Yoda and the way he was sent on this mission because of that one. Keep writing and I'll soon be a regular, too.

15. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I'll do my best to keep you interested. :)

16. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    "Anar, I need a favor."

The lithe Alderaanian narrowed her eyes suspiciously, her arms folding across her chest. "When a Jedi needs a favor, it means I should run for cover as quickly as possible. What have you done now?"

"Nothing," Qui-Gon assured her, "but I'm on Melkork and could use some legal backbone."

"Melkork," she repeated. "The mining colony?"

"The same. The Jedi, myself specifically, are attempting to rescue a Force-sensitive slave, but the administrators refuse to let her go without a custody battle."

Her brown eyes hardened and he knew he had her. "Slavers," she spat. "Where do I sign up?"

Qui-Gon smiled grimly. "No need; you're already blacklisted. But there is the matter of the favor. It's dangerous for her to stay here. Not only is she malnourished and physically abused, but when I met her, she told me that she was going to be killed for any mistakes she made. Given the person I met today who is her 'guardian,' I don't think that's hyperbole. Is there a way to legally remove her from here for the duration of the proceedings?"

She let out an exasperated breath. "If you can send a written testimony to me immediately, I can forward it to the Republic welfare services and they, most likely, will appoint you as their representative in this matter. With that, you will be able to take her into the care of the state, by force if necessary."

"And they'll yield?"

"If they don't want more trouble than I'm planning for them, yes," she said darkly. "But the earliest you could remove her would be tomorrow."

"That's all right," he said. "I'm going to stay in the slave quarters with her tonight and as long as it takes to keep her safe."

Anar's scowl dissolved into an affectionate smile. "Always the Knight in shining armor," she quipped. "How old is this child?"

"Six."

There was a vehement curse that he didn't know the peaceful Alderaanians were capable of from the other end and the sound of a datapad shattering against a wall.

"Six and they've got her in Melkork?"

He nodded. "She's Corellian and her parents were killed in the Uprisings five years ago. Slavers made sure this was her next station stop."

"Well, Jinn," she said, her voice strained, "we'll make sure the Temple is the next."

He grinned. "I figured as much. Jinn out."
    "You're going to leave here tomorrow."

"But they won't let me," Keme whispered, her tiny face close to his so the dormitory advisors would not hear her. "Saikar said so."

"Saikar can't stop us," he assured her. "And I'm going to stay right here until we do leave."

"Thanks, Kai," she mumbled.

"Your welcome, Keme," he whispered back.

A heartbeat later, her steady breathing alerted him to the fact that she was finally asleep.

Removing his robe, he draped it over her, tucking it around her tiny form.

"Knight Jinn."

The contact was standing in the doorway, her shoulders slumped. "Word from Anar. The welfare services won't allow you protective custody because she's not legally allowed to leave the planet and you have a 'conflict of interest.'"

Qui-Gon straightened, sending her a sharp look. "Then who?"

"Me," she said quietly. "She'll be out of the mines and out of their tender care, but she'll still remain here."

"And what of the courts?"

"When the time comes, it will happen, but until then, you've been recalled to Coruscant."

Qui-Gon gritted his teeth. "I promised her I'd stay with her until she could go home."

"I know," she agreed. "But evil has something else in mind."

17. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Very good start DarthIshtar!! I just love Qui-Gon stories, at any age!! :) :)

Why do I get the feeling Yoda already knew something in sending young Knight Qui-Gon to Melkork. I'm relieved that though the courts won't allow Qui-Gon protective custody that at least she'll be out of the mines. I just hope his contact will be able to protect her.

Post often, post soon.

18. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    This is my 2222 post.

Woohoo, I've got the Jemmiah following migrating over here. :) I should have known any mention of Qui-Gon would get me fame, if not fortune. Anyway, of course Yoda knew something! 1) He knew that QG would do the most humane possible thing no matter what the mission parameters given his actions on Tilares and 2) he knew QG was meant to be the one to bring Keme home. But more on that later. More coming soon.

19. Amidala_Skywalker

Jul 4, 2001
    Poor Keme, she'll be so upset once she discovers that Qui-Gon has left especially since he promised her. Wonderful post :)

Am [face_love]

20. Jane Jinn

Jan 12, 2000
    I liked the way Anar said,"When a Jedi needs a favour, it's time for me to run for cover." And although I was hoping that Qui-Gon would be allowed to take Keme into protective custody, I should have known it wouldn't be that easy. Now, who's this contact and will she be able to keep Keme safe? Evil certainly does have something else in mind, I'm sure!

21. Melyanna

Melyanna Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Great story, Ishy. (Look, I've finally caught one on the ground floor!)

Anyway, if your posting habits are anything like mine, we should expect the next post in a couple of hours, right?

:D

22. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Not quite, mel. But here it is anyway.
    "She's not expected to live."

Qui-Gon sank heavily into the chair and stared up at the Healer. "How can you be certain?"

"Nothing is certain," he said patiently, "but it's virtually a miracle she survived the transport here."

"She's accustomed to miracles," Qui-Gon countered. "Don't you know her history?"

The Healer nodded solemnly. "Indeed, she has endured much in the course of sixteen years, but even star tunnel rats have to die sometime."

Qui-Gon shot to his feet. "I'll not have you talking of my Padawan that way," he said, his voice suddenly rasping and harsh. "She may have been a tunnel rat, but she's still a child and she will
    not die this young. Not if I can help it."

The Healer's mouth twitched, then settled back into a grim line. "Are you sure you can?"

Qui-Gon's head sank into his hands. "I have to try," he said miserably. "I can't lose her after everything that's happened, after everything we've been through."

The Healer rested a hand on his shoulder. "We did not call you here for this sort of discussion."

"Why, then?"

"There is a healing trance..."

"We tried that," Qui-Gon snapped, "and you're still standing there telling me she's most likely going to die."

The patience was clearly beginning to wear thin. "Allow me to finish," the Healer said evenly. "It is not a conventional trance. It would require you to enter it with her, to guide her, step by step, heartbeat by heartbeat back to us. And if it fails, you would most likely die as well."

Qui-Gon raised his eyes to meet the Healer's. "That's a risk I'm fully willing to take for her."

The Healer smiled for the first time since he'd arrived. "I surmised as much. The rest of the Healers required for the process will be here within ten minutes. I suggest you go speak to your Padawan. She could use a familiar face."

He entered to find Keme half-awake, limp against the pillows. Her position, one he had seen her in every night, betrayed nothing of the grave injuries she had sustained on this last mission.

"Master," she called hoarsely.

"I'm here," he assured her, moving to her side.

"I know," she murmured. "I felt you coming."

He smiled. She could sense a flea half a planet away, it seemed.

"How are you feeling?"

She took a sharp breath, then let it out in a shuddering sigh. "It hurts, Master," she admitted softly.

He shuddered. "I know," he murmured. "But we're going to help that soon."

Her brow furrowed. "I'm going to die, aren't I?"

"No!"

"Then why won't they tell me anything," she asked quietly.

He gripped her hand, trying to keep a calm front, but could not stop the tears from coming.

"Keme," he said gently. "One of the most difficult things I've ever had to do was letting you go on Melkork. I'm not letting that happen again."

"Promise?"

He nodded, unable to speak.

"All right," she whispered. "I should get some rest then. I'll see you on the other side?"

He wondered which other side she meant. The procedure or mortality?

Either way...

"Of course."

Qui-Gon awoke to find Keme snuggled against him, her tiny fingers intertwined with his.

It would seem we're already connected.

A harsh blast of noise startled everyone in the room awake. Keme groaned softly and turned to bury her face in his tunic.

Smiling, he gathered her into his arms and descended the ladder to the floor level.

"Jinn."

It was Saikar, looking even more disgruntled than the night before.

"You are to bring the girl to the compound immediately. I will guide you."

Or shoot me, Qui-Gon mused.

"Thank you," he said instead.

"Bring all your things," he barked. "You'll not be returning here."

"Thank the Force for that," Qui-Gon said wryly. "Does Keme have anything to bring?"

"Of course not," he sneered. "She's a tunnel rat. She's not to live long enough to form emotional attach

23. Amidala_Skywalker

Jul 4, 2001
    Fantastic post, was the start of the chapter a flash into the future or something - if so, that was a very good idea. I liked it very much

Am [face_love]

24. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Yes, it was a vision of the future. Mostly a motivator to keep Qui-Gon focused on freeing her. Glad you liked.

25. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Some more. And I realized that in my 1 other Qui-Gon story (http://www.qui-gonline.org/fanfic/burdenofchoice.htm), it's Ler, not Leren, so from here on out, her name is LER. Pronounced like the word lair.
    "Sorry to keep you waiting."

Qui-Gon stood as Ler entered, breathless and embraced her quickly. "It's all right. You're serving the people of the Republic as I do. There's no shame in that."

She drew back and frowned. "You make it sound so pretentious."

"My apologies," he said genuinely.

She waved a hand distractedly. "You've had a hard week; I'm willing to let any minor infraction pass."

He grimaced. "Anar filled you in?"

"Of course." She shook her head. "It's disgusting what people are willing to do to perpetutate evil."

"Indeed."

"Where to? The Arboretum?"

He nodded. "I could use a modicum of the peace it engenders."

He stepped aside to let her pass. "We've been investigating the circumstances of her enslaving and the worst of it all is that this is a matter of legal guardianship. Her step-aunt is one of the colony administrators."

"Sith," Ler swore softly. "What kind of person sells their own family into slavery?"

"A negligent one," Qui-Gon agreed. "And since she has been out of her step-aunt's care for five years, there's a possibility of winning this case on charges of reckless abandonment. At the very least, her condition should be evidence enough."

"Do you have holos," she asked quietly.

He smiled grimly. "Of course. I couldn't move forward without potential for blackmail."

Ler shook her head in disgust. "Now, there's the Qui-Gon Jinn I know. I suppose blackmail is somewhere in Master Yoda's cycle of evils as well?"

"Of course. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to blackmail, blackmail leads to hate, hate leads to suffering."

She sobered suddenly. "Now the real question," she stated. "How are you doing? You seemed pretty shell-shocked in your message."

He nodded. "I don't know exactly why, but leaving her has been one of the most difficult things I've done as a Jedi. It was more than breaking the promise; it was like abandoning her to her own destruction."

"But she's not going to be destroyed," Ler countered. "Isara should see to that."

"I hope," he said, "but the future is always in motion."

It wasn't until she settled onto a bench in the shade of a soital tree that he realized they had reached their destination. Settling down, he let his shoulders slump.

"And what future do you hope isn't in motion," she pressed. "The way you're talking, you've seen too much to turn back."

His mouth curved into a subtle smile. "Sometimes I wonder if the Council didn't bypass your Force potential."

She shook her head. "I'm Force-blind as a hawk-bat, but I have good instincts."

"Indeed." He sighed. "The last night I was there, I dreamed about the both of us. She was sixteen, a beautiful young woman. I was her cranky old Master as I have always been doomed to be, but the feeling was the same as when I first met her. We were meant to share this path together."

She reached over to grip his hand. "Then act on those instincts. Do whatever it takes to free her, if it takes from now until her sixteenth birthday. Your intuitions have never failed you before, despite what Yoda would like to think and you should not discount them now."

He had to smile and squeezed her hand gratefully. "I'll keep that in mind."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.