main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Book of Paths: An Uncertain Path - Complete

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by red rose knight, Sep 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. red rose knight

red rose knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2001
    I?ve decided that I need to start posting this or I?m just going to keep compulsively editing it. Besides, I have a OT meets PT story I need to start editing and I?m re-editing Unraveled and am pulling together ideas for the which I really want to start writing.

The usual disclaimers apply. George Lucas owns it all, I'm not making any money on this.

Summary: AU 4 years after TPM.
    Obi-Wan is a lone knight looking for a purpose. Qui-Gon survived the battle of Naboo to train Anakin. This is the tale of the different path Obi-Wan's life has taken.

An Uncertain Path

Do you know what the scariest thing is?
    To not know your place in this world.
    To not know why you?re here.
    That?s?it?s just an awful feeling.

Elijah, Unbreakable

Part I

The Book of Endings

Time was irrelevant.

At least it was for Senator Mutan Urot.

Day and night had blended into one long haze.

The interior of his tiny cell never changed.

The Udali Senator had arrived on Carua VI as part of a Senate authorized investigation of illegal slavery within the Republic. The Carua contacts had been friendly, even welcoming. They happily showed him everything he wanted to see and then some.

It had been a beautiful show.

Muton might have even been persuaded to believe in their innocence had it not been for his two traveling companions. Guardians of peace and justice. Yes, he had requested the help of the Jedi in uncovering the truth.

They had walked into the center of the largest slavery ring he had ever seen and he had long investigated them in the outer rim.

The investigation had gone with relative ease.

No wonder the Jedi had been so tense that last morning.

He would have been too if he had only known.

On the way to the ambassadorial transport the ship was rocked by cannon fire exploding before him. He didn?t even know where the shots came from that had killed the two Jedi.

His captors were experts. He was unharmed save for the bruises of being shoved into the tiny, dark cell.

Home.

So much time had passed?at least he thought?that Muton wondered if anyone knew he was still being held captive.

What purpose did it serve to keep him alive all this time?

Weakly he shoved the bowl of gruel back to the little door that everything came and went through. The larger door had not been opened except to put him in the cell.

The faces of his captures were a mystery to him.

They had not even offered the comfort of their voices.

His cell was more than a prison of six walls, it was a prison of the mind as well.

Not that it mattered, it would be his coffin soon enough.

"Muton Urot?" sounded a muffled voice from beyond the door.

"Yes?" he croaked surprised he even still had a voice.

"Stand back."

He heard a strange sound then suddenly a glowing blue light punched through the door. Slowly the focused light drew around in the shape of a large circle just big enough for him to crawl through. The cut away piece shifted and fell back out of his cell as the blue light disappeared.

"Senator," a voice spoke as a brown cloaked figure stepped partway into the small cell. "Can you stand?"

"It?s been so long," Muton was barely able to whisper. He squinted but there was not much light to see his savior.

The cloaked figure leaned forward, wrapping an arm gently around Muton?s waist, pulling the weakened Senator to his feet.

"We must hurry," the voice said as the Senator was pulled from his cell.

Muton?s legs could not support him so the figure pulled the Senator?s arm across his broad shoulders and helped the man through the poorly lit hall. He glanced sidelong at his savior and gave a weak smile.

A Jedi, he thought.

Suddenly a renewed strength poured into his weary body.

"Alarm!" A voice raged from behind.

Muton?s heart leapt in fright but the Jedi remained calm.

The Sen

2. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    The Book of Explanations

"It was an error," Qui-Gon Jinn said firmly.

"How do you believe that?" Master Mace Windu asked from the circle of twelve in the Jedi Council chambers.

Qui-Gon shifted slightly, pulling deep creases in his sleeves as he folded his arms tight. "Anakin was--"

"Young Skywalker," Mace said interrupting the venerable Jedi. "What do you have to say for yourself?"

"I?m very sorry," the thirteen year old responded.

"Sorry?" Adi Gallia asked.

"I didn?t know it was the princess?s pet!" Anakin sputtered as the blond padawan braid twisting over his shoulder.

"That shouldn?t have mattered," Ki Adi Mundi spoke up. "A creature is dead."

"But it was just a grivit bird." Panic filled Anakin?s bright blue eyes.

"It was a living thing and you killed it. Unless you can tell us it was an accident--"

Qui-Gon cleared his throat, interrupting Ki Adi Mundi. He stepped behind Anakin and placed his hands on the awkward youth?s shoulders. "It was an error in judgement," Qui-Gon said firmly. "The boy is learning from his mistakes."

"He used the Force to choke the bird to death," Mace said slowly.

"I just reacted," Anakin half cried but the strength and calm his master offered through their training bond eased his agitation. The youth stood there calmly. "I didn?t mean to. I was?angry."

The council relaxed in their seats as if satisfied with the answer.

"I have been working with him intently since them," Qui-Gon answered. "He is learning from his error," he stressed again.

"Anger leads to hate," Yoda spoke up. "Hate leads to the dark side. Access this emotion, you do too easily. Concerned, we are."

"He has improved so much in the last four years," Qui-Gon stressed.

"We are well aware of this, Master Jinn," Mace said coolly.

"He should not be censured."

"Our own Council we will keep on how to deal with young Skywalker," Yoda said tersely.

Qui-Gon stood there silently for a moment. His keen eyes studying the circle that surrounded them. "Anakin needs," was all he managed before his attention was pulled from the council chambers into to the lively temple that surrounded them. His stance faltered slightly as a shadow danced across his heart.

Anakin glanced back at Qui-Gon. Master?

The maverick Jedi master shook off the slight daze and returned his focus to the Council. "It has been a trying mission for both myself and my padawan. I feel downtime at the temple and a return to a normal schedule would do us both good. Anakin certainly needs to return to his classes. I would not want him falling behind." He gave a slight, reassuring smile. "Normalcy is what we both need right now."

"Well noted," Mace responded. "While padawan Skywalker is at the temple, he should pay a few visits to Healer Ielesis. See if maybe he can help him work through some of his wilder emotions."

"We shall schedule a visit immediately," Qui-Gon said bowing. He cast his gaze to the boy to make sure Anakin followed suit.

A dull expression graced the youth?s face but he also bowed.

3. Cheryl_Kenobi

Cheryl_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 6, 2001
    what happened to Qui did he feel Obi's pain?

4. naw ibo

naw ibo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 18, 1999
    Oh goodness, another story!! You spoil us, red_rose_knight. Don't stop. :D

5. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Wow! Two fics at once RRK? Neat. This is cool so far and I can't wait for more :)

6. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    It's strange how everything always seems to work out that I've got two fics being simultaneously posted. Hopefully I'll even this out better in the future.

There will probably be a second post on this tonight to get everyone into the story and then it will be one post a day (hopefully).

"Master?" Anakin asked softly as they exited the Council chambers. Worry clouded his youthful features.

"Yes, Padawan?" Qui-Gon said with a gentle smile directed at the gangly youth who walked along side him.

"I?m sorry," Anakin whispered as he cast his eyes to the floor. He stared up at the tall master with a smile. As always, Qui-Gon stood up for him, defended him to those who were unwilling to give him a chance. A part of him felt he had disappointed his master. He sighed softly.

"It is something that you must learn from," the venerable master said, stopping to face his thirteen year old apprentice. Gently placing his large hands on the boy?s shoulders, he spoke with understanding, "It should not have happened, but if you can learn from it?"

Qui-Gon stood motionless for a moment trapped somewhere in thought.

"Are you all right, my Master?"

Slowly the Jedi master turned to face the corridor that led away from the chambers.

Breezing through the corridor like a specter moved a figure in a flowing brown Jedi cloak and a hard set expression that seemed aware of everything and nothing at once.

Through his bond with Qui-Gon, Anakin sensed a chill then his master?s shields closed him out.

The specter moved past the master and apprentice as if they were not even there.

"Master?" Anakin whispered.

Blood soaked the right sleeve of Obi-Wan?s brown cloak. He stopped and studied the dried blood that covered his hand as if he were completely amazed by it. Staring past it, his eyes met Qui-Gon?s and he smiled. "Master Jinn," he said formally and bowed.

The coldness radiating from the knight made the boy retreat into the shelter of his master?s protection.

"Come, Anakin," Qui-Gon said gruffly and with the sweep of his billowing cloak sleeve shielded the boy as he lead his apprentice away.

"But Master," Anakin whispered softly, "that?s Obi-Wan."

"Knight Kenobi," Qui-Gon corrected but gave no more attention to the quiet figure standing near the chamber doors. "He is of no concern to us."

Obi-Wan Kenobi watched the exodus of the tall master and the youth that seemed to have grown nearly a foot and half since the last time he had seen him. No expression graced his worn features. Unconsciously he pulled the edges of his cloak tighter.

7. ApprenticeM

ApprenticeM Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2001
    [face_shocked]

Whew!! Can't believe I almost missed this!!
    So Obi's still wearing his braid? Wonder why....there doesn't seem to be much love between our boys RRK, care to explain? :confused:

8. Jee-dai

Jee-dai Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 8, 2000
    No, I don't think Obi-wan kept his skinny padawan braid. It sounds like he just pulled all of his hair back into one large braid.

RRK, I don't know which of your current stories I want updated faster. :) Both are so captivating!

9. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    Ding, ding, ding 8-}

I had a little trouble describing the braid. It isn't a padawan braid. He just tied back part of his hair in a braid, the rest is loose.

Jee-dai--they'll both be updated (mostly) daily.

Another post will be up shortly.

10. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    The Book of Not Leaving

The Council chambers were silent.

Twelve Jedi masters stared at the figure in the center of the room.

Dead silence.

Mace shifted in his seat ever so slightly but never removed his steady gaze from the Jedi before him.

Obi-Wan stood staring out the large windows. His empty expression did not see the masters that studied him. Without really thinking about it, he drew his mental shielding tighter as if that were possible.

Recognizing the intense shielding, Mace glanced over at Yoda. After a moment of silent counsel he returned his gaze to the knight. "We have already received word from Chancellor Palpatine and the Urotian delegation. They are grateful for your services."

"I do only as the Council deems fit," Obi-Wan said slowly as he bowed.

Yoda squinted as he drew his ears back slightly.

"You?re bleeding," Adi Gallia spoke with compassion heavy in her voice. "We would not have faulted you if you had sought the healers before reporting here."

"It is not serious," Obi-Wan said dully.

"Humph!" Yoda snorted. "Habit, this is of yours."

"Senator Muton is safe. I request another mission."

"No," Mace said as if surprised by the request.

The staid expression of Obi-Wan?s cracked. He looked away from the distant commerce lines and stared at Mace. "Master?"

"You have followed one mission after another for nearly four straight years."

"And I am ready for another," Obi-Wan said quickly, a hint of panic filling his voice.

Mace continued with little hesitation. "Each mission you return to us a little more worse for the wear. I?ve seen Jedi who have been field operatives longer than you have been alive who do not project the wear you do."

"I would better--"

"No," Yoda spoke up. "Self destructive this path you are on."

"Master--"

"Speaking, I am!" Yoda slipped from his chair and hobbled across the floor to where Obi-Wan stood. He rocked back on his bare feet and stared at the knight. The little master knew he was acting out of decorum for a council meeting but he also sensed that Obi-Wan felt under siege. "Forgotten I have how tall you are." Yoda poked Obi-Wan in the leg with his gimer stick.

Reluctantly, the knight knelt down to better face the little master.

Yoda tugged on the bloody sleeve then unkindly poked Obi-Wan in his wounded arm with the gimer stick. He studied the knight?s dull expression that didn?t react to the abuse. "Like this, you come to us too many times. Very concerned we are."

"You do not need to be." Obi-Wan stared at the floor before Mace?s booted feet. "A mission--"

"No more missions," Adi said. "At least for now."

"But--"

"Do not argue with the Council," Mace said sternly leaning forward in his seat.

Obi-Wan closed his eyes, stilling his panicked mind. "I am good at one thing," he said softly.

Mace spoke slowly, "You are assigned to the temple indefinitely."

Obi-Wan was on his feet in a flash. "You cannot."

"We can."

"I will not!"

"You will," Mace replied sternly.

"There has to be a hostage situation or something I can do. I will not stay here."

"You have no choice," Mace said coldly.

Yoda poked Obi-Wan in the leg again. Short stubby green fingers motioned the knight to kneel.

Obi-Wan just stood there, staring blankly ahead. "I cannot stay at the temple."

"Home, temple is," Yoda said calmly.

"Not anymore."

Mace spoke evenly, leaving no doubt of his authority. "No missions until further notice. I suggest you get used to the excitement of temple life."

Obi-Wan stared at the other masters searching them for a sign that they would offer him help. "Just one more, then I?ll take some down time."

"That?s what you said last time."

The knight stiffened. Slowly he folded his arms into the sleeves of his cloak. The distant, stoic expression returned. There was plenty of fight still in him but Obi-Wan knew the Council would not bend. Their solemn faces and keen eyes created an invisible prison that he knew he would not escape.

"What am I sup

11. naw ibo

Mar 18, 1999
    Oh this is so good, rrk. Poor Obi-Wan, he seems so lost. The way you wrote you could feel his desperation at not wanting to remain at the Temple.

12. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Poor, abandoned, hot Obi...

13. naw ibo

Mar 18, 1999
    Oooppps...doublt post.

14. Jee-dai

Jun 8, 2000
    "I am good at one thing," he said softly.

Oooh, I sense this is a key statement to the story. I guess I'll have to wait to see if I'm right. :p

15. naw ibo

Mar 18, 1999
    I think you are right Jee-Dai. So sad. "I'm good at one thing"--I hope you are right and that will be delved into here.

I actually keep reading this over and over again. I can't wait for the next installment.

16. Jee-dai

Jun 8, 2000
    You too, huh? I keep re-reading, thinking, and wondering about Obi-Wan.

17. naw ibo

Mar 18, 1999
    Yes! Me, too. I just keep wondering and reading it again, thinking maybe I'll see something else. :) It's really got me hooked, not just in terms of plot, but emotionally.

18. Ginger_Jedi

Jun 4, 2001
    Ahhhhh!!! I need MORE! This is so good. Obi seems so...lost and alone. He needs a hug! :)

19. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    Oh good, I was afraid no one would like the story. 8-} I hope you enjoy this one. I'm not going to say anything (for a while), you're just going to have to read and find out.

The Book of Old Friends

The chime sounded an impatient second time.

Qui-Gon Jinn took his time arriving at the door. Any other time he would have called on the Force and waved the door of his apartment open. Any other time when he didn?t feel so tense.

He palmed the door open only to face his friend Mace Windu.

"What brings you here?"

"I can?t pay a visit to my friend?"

Qui-Gon stepped back and ushered the respected Council member inside. "I always suspect something when you show up before I?ve had a chance to unpack."

"I?ve become obvious," Mace said with a smile taking a seat on the couch.

"Tea?"

"No, thank you." Mace glanced around the apartment, but he was already aware of Anakin?s presence in the training rooms. "Qui--"

"Obi-Wan?s here." No use in mincing words.

They both knew the reason of Mace?s presence.

Qui-Gon smiled. "Yes, I know. How could I not? He was my padawan once." The words were plain, formal. Emotionless. The graying Jedi master sat down in the chair across from his friend. He offered a mask of calm that he knew his friend could easily see through. "He will be gone in a day or so."

"Not this time."

Suddenly Qui-Gon straightened and stared at Mace. "What do you mean?"

"The will of the Council is he will not be given any more missions for the time being. Yoda has insisted he remains within the temple."

"Aren?t there any more hostage situations for him? Or has the Republic suddenly broken out into peace."

Mace just stared at the other man for a long time. "Now you know as well as I do that there will always be a need for a good extraction expert. But like I said, Yoda has insisted he remains within the temple for the time being."

Qui-Gon leapt to his feet. "Then Anakin and I should return to the field."

"You haven?t even been back a day."

"Mace--"

"If it would make you feel better, Obi-Wan showed his displeasure with the Council. He argued against it. Of course, we won."

"That does not make me feel better. We will take an extended mission to the farthest reaches of space."

Mace laughed. "Do you know who you sound like?"

Qui-Gon just stared at him.

"You sound just like Obi-Wan in that meeting."

"Do not compare me to him," Qui-Gon said coldly.

"He had an excellent teacher to learn defiance from."

"I do not want to speak about him!" Qui-Gon roared.

Mace leaned back in his seat and stared at the other Jedi calmly not ruffled by the outburst.

Qui-Gon stopped. He closed his eyes and breathed deeply. After a moment he released his sudden anger to the Force. When he was sufficiently centered he opened his eyes. "Forgive me."

"It?s been four years, Qui."

"I think I would rather have you lecture me on Anakin than listen to anything you have to say concerning Knight Kenobi."

Mace lowered his eyes and sadly shook his head. "You do not make things easy, old friend."

"Find us another mission."

"You and Anakin just arrived. Padawan Skywalker needs his schedule and a return to his classes, wasn?t that what you said in the briefing earlier?" He motioned to the vacated chair. "Sit."

Reluctantly Qui-Gon sat down.

"I remember a conversation about six or seven years ago." Mace hesitated to gage Qui-Gon?s reaction. He smiled as he spoke. "You told me you were getting too old to chase padawan?s around. A twenty-three year old was too much for your old bones, you said."

An unhappy frown graced Qui-Gon?s leonine features.

"I couldn?t imagine you taking on a nine year old. How are your old bones handling him now that he is thirteen?"

"Once the nervous energy was brought under control, my old bones are doing fine."

"That?s why I detect a well hidden limp."

Qui-Gon laughed and leaned back in his seat. "I should never have opened the door."

"I would have lean

20. Jee-dai

Jun 8, 2000
    I'm going to keep my speculations to myself for now, but I think it's tragic, no, narrowminded, that Qui-Gon only considers Anakin as his legacy. Hello?!? What about your other padawans? Also, what an ego to want to have a "legacy"! (Just me ranting at a fictional character.)

What can I say, your writing is too good, RRK. :)

21. ApprenticeM

ApprenticeM Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2001
    Why that.... :mad:What about Obi!?!?!!? :mad: :mad:

So what happened between those two?Is it the same thing that happened in TPM?

22. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    Jee-dai--Thank you. And rant all you want.

ApprenticeM--All will become clear as mud very soon.

The reason I'm not letting on about anything is I'll either accidentally give to much away to early or mislead everyone.

But discuss it amongst yourselves if you would like. Even though the story is already completed I use the feedback. It helps me find weaknesses in the story or fix things that were unclear.

23. ThatJediGirl

ThatJediGirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2001
    Anna stayed up passed her bed time and found out that this is a good story and i printed it out last night to read in Science today, but busy we were. Anywho, I lost my previous hyperness and my hands are tired so I will say, I love to plot, have no idea where it's going to lead us, and another story by Red Rose Knight- this is my lucky week [face_love]

24. naw ibo

Mar 18, 1999
    Well, I'm thinking it had to be almost purely personal because the Council obviously promoted Obi-Wan to knighthood and, although it has often been at his own request, they've given him many important missions and he's obviously very good at what he does . Also, although they were stern with him, they also seemed very concerned. I didn't sense any hostility.

The same with Qui-Gon, though there may still be issues with Anakin's training, he still has respect as well. So anyway, I'm thinking it isn't that either one of them did anything "bad" in a Jedi way of being "bad" to contribute to this break. This break seems purely due to personal issues(I think?). Probably related to Anakin, but Anakin didn't seem to have anything against Obi-Wan, so if it was, he doesn't seem to be entirely aware of it.

This is so sad. We haven't read Obi-Wan's feelings on Qui-Gon yet, but Qui-Gon seems to have so much hostility towards Obi-Wan. :( Only considering Anakin his legacy(methinks there's a wee too much pride in that statement). He seems to think its quite fine if Obi-Wan can't even be at home in the Temple "Aren't there anymore hostage situations for him?", almost like he has no right to be there, or rather, at least not as much as himself.

25. Ginger_Jedi

Jun 4, 2001
    I'm keeping everything to me, myself and I...

Cool post RRK :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.