main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Padawan's Ghost (JA) *complete*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Darth_Em, Nov 1, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Em

Darth_Em Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 10, 2001
    A Halloween story.

Summary: Obi-Wan and Bant go on a ghost hunt.
    ---------------------------------------------

"Shh!" Bant hissed dramatically. She pushed Obi-Wan further into the darkness behind the low bushes.

"There's no-one there, Bant." Obi-Wan kept his voice low. He rolled his eyes, knowing he was invisible in the shadows. "Remind me again, just why are we doing this?"

"Oh hush..." Bant turned to glare at him, reflected light glinting briefly in liquid silver eyes. "Nearly there."

Obi-Wan bobbed his head up from the shrubbery and glanced around. Low orange light from the regularly spaced lanterns showed an empty pathway. This part of the Temple would generally be quiet this late at night but there was always a chance someone would pass by on their way to the meditation glades. The furthest gardens were, by tradition, reserved for the Knights and Masters.

"Clear," Bant whispered. "Let?s go."

Obi-Wan nodded, then realised with irritation that Bant still couldn't see him. She was already moving though, heading swiftly down the path and towards their goal. Sighing, he scrambled to his feet and followed. He caught up just as Bant reached a door set deeply in the wall. It wasn't locked and she swung the door open. Obi-Wan gave a final glance behind them, to make sure they weren't being observed, then followed his friend into the cool, dark interior.

Light filtering through the high windows lent the deserted salle an eerie blue gleam, stripes of light and dark falling across the wooden floor. In daylight hours the hall would a hubbub of activity, groups of people exercising and practicing their forms. Now, apart from several training remotes in a metal rack, the room was empty. The occasional drip of water echoed hollowly from one of the nearby shower rooms. The sound irritated Obi-Wan, setting his teeth on edge. Bant stopped in one of the slanting beams of light.

"Spooky, huh?" she said in a low voice.

"Yes, Bant," Obi-Wan replied with heavy and infinite patience. "It's just the sort of place a ghost would hang out."

Bant turned to him and grinned, flapping one of her fin-like hands in dismissal.

"Oh you're such a know-it-all, Obi-Wan Kenobi! Don't you dare give me that lecture on myths and folklore again! This is supposed to be the place he haunts. Where he, you know... did it." She drew a hand slowly across her throat and whispered dramatically. "Cut off his own head!"

"That's a compactor full of garbage, Bant! Name one single person who has ever seen this so-called Ghostly Padawan!" He shook his head at the foolishness of the young.

"Besides," he added. "Why is he called the Padawan's Ghost, when he was supposedly an initiate when he killed himself? On his thirteenth birthday, too. He never did get to be a Padawan"

Bant giggled, her big eyes darting around at the shadowy corners. She dropped her voice conspiratorially.

"Well, you see, he has this braid. And each year it grows longer and longer. It's so long now that it trails behind him. Swish. Swish. Swish across the floor." Bant danced off through the slanting beams of light. She swayed gently as she moved, a hand gesture mimicking the long fall of hair brushing over the boards. "They say... they say he waits until he is claimed by his one true Master. The Master he was meant to have. But that Master joined the Force long ago, so he will be waiting... forever. Swish. Swish. Swishhh."

Obi-Wan stared at her, momentarily frozen. A cold shiver trickled down his spine before he caught himself.

"Look, there's nothing here."

"It's not midnight yet." Bant turned to him. "That?s when he died."

"Perhaps we ought to check the showers and anterooms first, then. Just in case." Obi-Wan was determined to show some leadership here. He didn't regret taking Bant up on her dare. He was, if he admitted it to himself, quite enjoying the after-hours adventure but he was reluctant to give Bant the satisfaction seeing him caught up in the whole ghost hunt. He felt a touch of superiority at seeing a Bant

2. Darth_Em

Aug 10, 2001
    Instantly his lightsaber was up and lit. Bant was less than a second behind him, her saber ready to guard his back. There was a shocked silence, broken only by the low hum of the blades. A drop of water fell, the lonely sound echoing through the room.

He was going to laugh, really he was, just as soon as he caught his breath and his knees stopped shaking. Behind him Bant was already lowering her saber.

"Nice one, Kenobi," she said, her grinning face glowing in the pink light from her weapon. "You really had me going for a moment."

Obi-Wan lowered his lightsaber sheepishly and the boy in the mirror did the same.

"You were scared! Admit it!" Bant was almost crowing. She doused her blade.

"No, I wasn't!" Obi-Wan said, indignantly. "I was alert! Being cautious! I have to watch out for you, you know!"

"Oh, yeah? You're nearly as white as your robes. No wonder you thought your own reflection was a ghost!"

Obi-Wan shook his head, knowing it was going to take him a while to live this down. He reached over to the dripping shower head impatiently and turned it off.

"You were scared yourself, Bant. Just because I can't tell by looking at you!"

"Was not!"

"You were, too!" Obi-Wan powered down his saber and clipped it on his belt. It was suddenly very dark, although the glow from his saber still seemed burned into his retina. He grinned.

"Woohoo!" he cried. "Here comes the Ghostly Padawan!"

Flapping his sleeves like a mad thing, he advanced down the shower room. Bant fled before him shrieking with glee, her voice echoing through the empty stalls, before she slipped through the door and escaped. Obi-Wan chased her down the corridor and through the empty rooms, laughing and spinning as he waved his arms, gesturing menacingly. Finally Bant dodged back into the main hall, Obi-Wan hot on her heels. He ran straight into the back of her, and instinctively grabbed her as she stiffened in his arms.

There in the salle, light pooled on the top of his head, and around his feet, stood a tall dark figure. This time it was no reflection. Obi-Wan felt his heart leap into his mouth. With a low thud the lights were Force-activated and whined into brightness. Bant sagged against him gratefully, but Obi-Wan swallowed hard, his relief mixed with growing apprehension. There, in the centre of the room, stood his Master, Qui-Gon Jinn. He did not look amused.

"What is the meaning of this, Padawans?" The echoing hall reverberated with Master Jinn's displeasure. "I am dragged from my meditation by my Padawan's alarm, and come straight here, only to find you two running around and screeching like initiates."

"M-master." Obi-Wan bowed low, and Bant, glancing at her partner in crime, quickly followed suit. "We were, um..."

"You have not been a Padawan for very long, have you Bant? Does your master know you are here?"

"No, Master Jinn." Bant shook her head.

"So, why do I find you two alone in this training hall? Surely you are a little too old for midnight pranks and a little too young for assignations?"

Bant bowed her head again. "I apologise, sir. It was all my idea. I dared Obi... I mean, Padawan Kenobi to accompany me in search of the ghost."

"A ghost, Padawan?" Qui-Gon raised his eyebrows.

"Yes sir." Bant nodded. "There's a story that says that this salle is haunted by the ghost of a padawan who killed himself. We were curious."

"Is this true, Obi-Wan?"

"Yes, Master." Obi-Wan nodded glumly, well aware of how juvenile it all sounded.

"I see." Qui-Gon shook his head exasperation. "I have not heard of any Jedi Padawan committing suicide in this temple, nor have I heard of any ghost in this hall. You have been led astray by your imaginations.

"Padawan Bant. Obi-Wan and I will accompany you to your quarters where you will make an explanation to your own master. I do not expect you will escape punishment for this little escapade."

"Obi-Wan." Qui-Gon paused and Obi-Wan drew a deep breath to steady himself. He would face his Master calmly, like a

3. Darth_Em

Aug 10, 2001
    Qui-Gon was thankfully silent on the way back to their quarters. Obi-Wan struggled to keep up with his long legged stride.

"Master, may I ask? Is there such a thing as a Force Ghost?"

"I believe so, Padawan, although few have ever seen them. They are usually Jedi who have been allowed to remain in this existence by the Force, to complete some unfinished task."

Qui-Gon slowed and looked down at Obi-Wan. His mouth quirked, but he didn't exactly smile. "I will not be distracted from your punishment, young Padawan."

Of course not, Obi-Wan thought. He shook his head. "No, Master."

They had reached their rooms, and Qui-Gon palmed the door lock before ushering Obi-Wan in ahead of him, and gesturing to the sofa. He sat down, and when Obi-Wan seemed reluctant, he patted the seat beside him.

"Sit, Padawan."

Here it comes, thought Obi-Wan, the lecture.

"Obi-Wan," Qui-Gon began, not unkindly. "I'm a little disappointed in you. I expected you to be studying tonight, and then going straight to bed. What possessed you to go hunting around the far hall for ghosts?"

Obi-Wan sighed. "I was trying to tell Bant that it wasn't true, but she's taken up by the notion. She thinks it?s such a terribly tragic and romantic story."

"What story, Padawan?" Qui-Gon raised an eyebrow. "There are many legends that have sprung up around the Temple, but I don't believe I've heard this one."

Obi-Wan scrambled to his feet and stood, hands clasped in front of him, in formal storytelling posture.

"The story goes like this. There once was an initiate, who, nearing his thirteenth birthday, was desperate to be taken as a Padawan. He believed that he was destined to be a Jedi Knight, but as the deadline approached, he fell into despair. No master seemed willing to train him. Finally, on the eve of his birthday, he went alone into the furthest training salle, which as you know, is almost always deserted at night, and he waited.

"Now, there was one old master, a man who had been alone for far too long, and was uncertain as to whether or not he should take one last Padawan. He finally decided that he should train the young man. He set out to approach him, but could not find him anywhere. He did not think to look in the darkened hall. Meanwhile, the initiate was still waiting. When at last he heard the midnight chimes, he wept, and taking out his own lightsaber, he killed himself.

"The Master finally found the headless body the next morning, and he too wept. He realised that he had left it too late to approach the initiate, and that his reluctance had cost the order not one, but two Jedi. That night he left the Temple, never to return.

"They say that the initiate's ghost now haunts the far salle, and at midnight he appears, seeking his master, who will never come for him."

Obi-Wan finished the story with the ritual bow, and straightened to find his Master staring at him in dismay.

He, Obi-Wan Kenobi, was an idiot, Obi-Wan thought to himself. He'd gone and done it now.

Qui-Gon?s expression hardened as he looked at Obi-Wan.

"Do you blame the master then, Obi-Wan?" he said grimly. "Was the child such a loss to the Order? The boy was hasty and let his fears rule him. Surely, a boy who would commit such a desperate act would not have made a suitable Jedi Knight?"

Obi-Wan stared at his master in horror. That was cold, coming from the normally compassionate Qui-Gon. He dropped to his knees in front of the seated man.

"Master, forgive me. It's just a story. Its... well, I know why this myth has started and why it's considered so tragic and romantic."

"And why is that, Padawan?" Qui-Gon said grimly.

"Well, Master," Obi-Wan hurried to explain, "It taps into the fears of many initiates. Its a terrible feeling, Master, and a common fear. The feeling that you have been training for something all your life, only to lose the chance. It?s the fear of failure."

"Not all initiates are destined to be knights, Obi-Wan, or even padawans." Qui-Gon said quietly.

"No, Master. But t

4. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Very nice! Loved the way Obi-Wan thought his own reflection was a ghost, and the way his panic alarmed Qui-Gon. The ending was funny, too, the way he goes off to bed happy that he's managed to distract his master from the punishment.

5. Darth_Em

Aug 10, 2001
    Thankyou Jane Jinn. I have a feeling Qui-Gon will remember in the morning though. :D

6. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    Very good! Loved how he thought he had the best master in the world... :) Nice short story Darth Em!

7. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    That was really good!!! I like it!!

8. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Oh, I'm a sucker for a good ghost story! What I liked best is that they DIDN'T see the ghost! (You never see one when you're looking for one; it's when you don't expect it that they decide to show themselves...)

Very nicely done!

9. LittleJedi

LittleJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    Cool story. I really liked when they were found by Qui-Gon and Obi was making a fool of himself... *chuckles*

-Little Jedi-
    MTFBWY

10. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    Very good! The reflection Obi saw of himself reminds me of when I went ghost hunting. What I found scared me to death, but it ended up to be a statue :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.