main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FIC: A Journey Beyond Loss (Part 2, the conclusion posted 12/6)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Obi the Kid, Dec 4, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi the Kid

Obi the Kid Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    TITLE: A Journey Beyond Loss
    AUTHOR: Obi the Kid (hlnkid@aol.com)
    RATING: PG
    SUMMARY: 6 years pre-TPM, non-slash. An apprentice loses his master, and must learn to cope with the help of friends.
    ARCHIVE: Please ask me first.
    MY WEBSITE: http://www.angelfire.com/movies/obithekid/
    DISCLAIMER: The characters and venue of Star Wars are copyrighted to Lucas Films Limited. The characters not recognizable from this venue are copyrighted to Tracy C. Knight. The story is the intellectual property of Tracy C. Knight and is copyrighted to her. She makes no profit from the writing or distribution of this story.

======================
    A Journey Beyond Loss
    ======================

Dusk settled over the huge city planet of Coruscant. Ships of all sizes made final passes through the more populated part of the world, that which surrounded the Jedi Temple. One lone figure stood on the overlook balcony, watching the final rays of sun drop from the sky. His shoulders were slumped and his head bowed. Two days ago the world that surrounded him came crashing in. Padawan Taash Evram had lost everything when his master and mentor, Kem Tovaar, was killed on a mission to the hostile world of Greeg. The young apprentice, twenty-two-years old, was left without the man who had trained and raised him from the age of ten. He was lost and alone. An hour ago he'd attended Master Tovaar's funeral. Watching the flames consume his closest companion was so overwhelming, that he left without a word to any who tried to console him, an attempt to find solitude. Never in his young life had he felt such pain and sadness.

Obi-Wan Kenobi bounded out of his room. He and his master had just gotten home from a three-month mission, and had finally been given some time off. Qui-Gon Jinn has offered his nineteen-year-old apprentice a free day to do whatever he pleased. "Master, would you care to join me for breakfast in the dining hall?"

The older Jedi tried not to laugh. Months away from the temple, his first day to relax and he wanted to spend the morning with his teacher in the dining hall. "Padawan, perhaps some of your friends are on-planet. Wouldn't you enjoy their company more than mine?"

"Actually Master, Garen and Taj are somewhere, but I can see them tomorrow. I would like to spend the day with you, unless you'd rather me not."

"I would be happy for the company."

They headed off to the dining hall, Obi-Wan bounced around the entire time. Holding an imaginary saber in his hands, he practiced the new moves that Qui-Gon had been teaching him. The tall master watched his student and smiled. Where did all that energy come from? Qui-Gon himself was exhausted, but seeing the energy that Obi-Wan was exuding, made the fatigue bearable. With a slight bounce in his own step, he followed the padawan into the dining hall.

Obi-Wan downed two plates of food, and was readying for a third when he noticed a Jedi, sitting alone, almost hidden, in the corner of the hall. He seemed to be picking at his food more so than actually eating it. "Master, who's that?"

Turning to see who Obi-Wan was motioning at, Qui-Gon nodded his head in understanding. "I believe that is Padawan Taash Evram. I am told he lost his master recently. Surprising to see him around today."

At once, Obi-Wan's jovial mood had vanished. "Hasn't the Council given him a new master?"

"It's not so simple as that Padawan. And before that is even considered, I assume they are allowing him a grieving period. It's not easy to lose someone who is so close to you for so many years."

"Do you think he'd mind if I offered him some company?"

"That's up to you Obi-Wan. But be prepared for any kind of response to your offer."

"I understand Master." He set the food tray down, and made his way through the maze of tables and chairs. Pausing before he approached the table where Taash sat, Obi-Wan took a deep breath.

"Hi Taash. I'm Obi-Wan. I didn't know if maybe you wanted a little company or not

2. TheSwedishJedi

TheSwedishJedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 15, 2001
    Good. Can't wait for more.

~Swede :p

3. KenobisGirl

KenobisGirl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 10, 2001
    Oh, wow! What a great story so far! It's nice to see Taash acting somewhat human now!

More soon please! :D

4. Obi the Kid

Apr 13, 2000
    Thanks you 2! I hope to have part 2 up within the next couple days!!! Glad you're enjoying this one!

5. TheSwedishJedi

Sep 15, 2001
    Any time, Obi the Kid. You're one of my favorite writers. You're just so good at writing out how people feel.

~Swede :)

6. Obi the Kid

Apr 13, 2000
    Awwww! Thank you SwedishJedi. You just made my day. And it's been a HORRIBLE day for me. Made me smile! Thanks!!! :)

7. Obi the Kid

Apr 13, 2000
  8. jodiwent

jodiwent Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2000
    OtK I love your stories like this one!

9. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    That was great!! Poor Taash *sniffle* :_|

10. Obi the Kid

Apr 13, 2000
    Thanks Jodi, Thanks Wolf! Appreciate you reading and commenting!

11. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Oh gosh OTK!!! :_| That was so beautiful! I've got tears in my eyes! Poor Taash! I LOVED how Qui comforted him! *sniffle* Post the rest soon please! :)

12. Whiskey in the Jar-Jar

Whiskey in the Jar-Jar Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 17, 2000
    Oh, I like this so far, OTK. :D

Hope you post more soon. I can't wait to see what happens next.

13. Obi the Kid

Apr 13, 2000
    Thanks Ginger! And Whiskey! Whiskey..I LOVE your user name! Whiskey in a jar jar! HA! That's great!

14. ewen

ewen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2001
    Glad to see you on the boards with another story.Waiting for another post.I am just wondering though,This padawan doesn't want to still QGJ from Obi does he?I mean,he seems awfully interested in the master and in some ways is comparing him to his master.Just a thought.PEACE Ewen

15. Obi the Kid

Apr 13, 2000
    Hmmm, hadnt thought of going that route with this story. Can't tell you what happens, but no, Taash isnt trying to steal Qui from Obi. I think you'll like the way it ends! Thanks for reading Ewen!

16. Obi the Kid

Apr 13, 2000
  17. Obi the Kid

Apr 13, 2000
    up we go! new post coming later this evening!

18. TheSwedishJedi

Sep 15, 2001
    <Swede hops over from other Obi story>
    I'll be waiting.

<Obi-Wan follows>

Me: Geezs, don't you ever quit?

Obi: No, I'm a Jedi.

Me: No, you're a Jedi Padawan.

Obi: So?

Me: So, you don't have to act like a Jedi all the time.

Obi: I'm in training. I'm going to do my best.

<Swede sighs> If you don't stop now, I'll have to do drastic.

<Obi pauses> Like what?

<Swede shrugs> Don't know. But I am a fanfic writer. The skyies are the limit. And remember, I've killed you at least twice now.

<Obi-Wan scowls at Swede and mutters> Stupid fanfic writers. You will pay. Someday you will pay. <He starts laughing manic... evily (can't spell the other word)>

Me: Ah, Obi? Great I think he's finally snapped. Just my luck. <Starts thinking and gets an idea> Ohhh, new plot bunny. Obi-Wan goes crazy.

<Obi-Wan suddenly stops and stares at Swede. He starts backing away slowly> Oh no. Don't another one. I was just kidding. Really. I'm fine, see? No problem here. <keeps backing away>

<Swede smiles sweetly at Obi as she moves toward him> Oh come on, Obi. It wouldn't hurt. Much. Maybe. Hmm, I'll have to work on it, but come on, it'll end alright. Come here.

Obi: Ahhh! Master! Help me! There after me again! AHHHH!

Qui: I don't think so, Obi-Wan. I'm not getting in the middle of you and a fanfic writer. I don't love you that much.

Obi: MASTER!

Me: Obi-Wan, sweety, come on. It wouldn't be so bad. <Obi starts running away again. Swede follows. They both run off screen.

(Man, I got to stop doing this)

19. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Swede are you feeling OK? :p [face_laugh]

20. Obi the Kid

Apr 13, 2000
    I think she suffered an Obi attack! :)

21. Obi the Kid

Apr 13, 2000
    A Journey Beyond Loss: PART 2 of 2

Here's the conclusion!

----------

When he awoke the next morning, Taash felt more energized than he had in long time. He'd forgotten what a solid night of sleep could do for one's fatigued body. Pushing himself into an upright position, he glanced at the chrono on the wall. It was late. Almost the noon hour. He'd slept close to fifteen hours straight. Surprised that no one had woken him, he looked around for Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan. He found a data-pad on the kitchen table with a short note typed out.

<<Taash,

We didn't want to wake you. Please join us in the sparring gym when you are up to it.

Qui-Gon>>

He smiled down at the note. These two Jedi, who days before, were complete strangers, really did care about him. Since Master Kem had died, Taash had been regretting the day when a new master would take over his training. He didn't know if he could adjust to another's ways. He didn't know if he wanted to adjust. Yet, as much as he loved his life with Kem, he was going to have to move on. It would be hard, but it could be done. Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan had shown him that is was possible. He was sure of that as he stepped into the shower, cleaned himself up and hurried to the sparring gym.

"Hi Taash," Obi-Wan yelled as he saw his friend enter the gym. He ran over to greet him.

"Hi Obi-Wan."

"You look better. How are you?"

"I'm okay. I needed the sleep. Thanks for letting me sleep so long."

Qui-Gon approached the pair. "Obi-Wan, did I give you permission to run off like that? I was in the middle of a lesson, I turn my back and you are gone."

"I'm sorry Master. I wanted to talk to Taash."

"Don't make this a habit," he said before turning to the taller apprentice. "Good to see you looking rested Taash. Obi-Wan seems to have broken in that couch rather nicely." He paused for a moment to make sure he has the older student's full attention, "I have news for you. Please follow me."

The students shadowed the master to a small observation room overlooking the gym. He motioned for them to sit down. "I have spoken with the Council concerning a new master for you."

"Yes?" He was nervous, but a small part of him was excited as well.

"Yes. Master Greft Salen's apprentice was Knighted a month ago. He's taken some time to himself lately, but he just arrived back at the temple, and has been questioned about you. Do you know of Master Salen?"

"I've met him several times. Master Kem worked with him on occasion. He's a very highly respected master."

"That he is. One of the Order's finest Knights. He is set to retire from the field, but he has offered to complete your training. However because of the circumstances, the Council wishes you to make the final decision. He'll be here shortly."

Taash had no idea how to react to what Qui-Gon had told him. It had been only a week since his own master's death, and this news was very unexpected. He had thought he'd be given more time to deal with this pain without having to jump right back into training.

"This is good news Taash."

"Yes Master Jinn, it is. But, I...I was hoping it would not happen so quickly. I've not had proper time to come to terms with Master Kem's death. I didn't think I would be back in training so fast. It's a bit shocking is all."

Qui-Gon moved closer and put a hand on the dark-haired student's shoulder. "I'm sorry, I should have explained further. You will not be immediately forced back into training. Master Salen knows of the pain you are suffering. I have told him that you are still working through this. He understands. Should the Council approve him as your new master, you can spend a few more days with us, and then he will move into your apartment, since that is where your familiarity is. But first, you will meet with him."

Relaxing a little, Taash nodded. "Thank you Master Jinn. I am eager to speak with him." And he was. What he knew of Salen was that he was extremely strong in the Force, and was very easy to like. S

22. Obi the Kid

Apr 13, 2000
  23. TheSwedishJedi

Sep 15, 2001
    Yeah! You finished. :D

Good ending and don't worry I wouldn't go nuts on you this time.

Obi: Wanna bet?

Me: Get out of here right now, mister! I'm talking to Obi the Kid. Not Obi the Pest.

Obi: Fine. See if I care. Like I'd wanna talk to you anyway. <sticks out his tongue as he leaves. Swede rolls her eyes>

Anyway, that was good. I was thinking a good sequel would be after Qui-Gon's death, Taash can help Obi-Wan out. Just an idea.

Have a good day. :D

~Swede :p

24. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    Great ending!! *sniffle*

25. Obi the Kid

Apr 13, 2000
    Thanks Wolfe! Thanks Swede! Just a lil nuts this time! heheeh! Thanks for reading.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.