main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A Thought Within A Darkest Hour... (AU) updated 21/12 [author's announcement and grovelling]

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by TwilightKat, Dec 15, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TwilightKat

TwilightKat Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 12, 2001
    Here's a bunny which bit me a while ago
    Titled:

A Thought Within A Darkest Hour...

(thanks to Am for thinking of it!)

Disclaimer: everything SW-sy belongs to the jolly GL guy, and if u sue me, u're not going to get very much.

Brief outline: set around the end of TPM/AU, mostly from Obi's pov.

Warning: none that I know of (yet) except, keep your eyes open for hidden meaning...

Thanks to the ppl who supported me (u know who u are!)
    and a special thanks and hug to my invaluable beta Am [face_love]

It'll be up in a moment

2. TwilightKat

Nov 12, 2001
    Darkness all around
    Icy fingers grasping at him.
    -Let go- it whispered...
    And then he was falling.

His Master?s mind was forbidden to him.

They were not fighting as a team should and Obi-Wan knew it. Together they could beat him. Apart.....he didn?t even want to contemplate that.

Once again he tried to send an apology.

Emphasise on the ?try?. His call was rebuffed by heavy shielding.

Through the reddish haze, the Sith smirked at him, savouring his anguish. //I?m going to kill your Master, Little Padawan and then it?s just you and me//

Fiercely he blocked out the taunting voice, and sought to centre himself. The throbbing pain that was his back and side did not help.

The whirr of the cycling shields caught his attention. He readied himself, and as soon as they freed him, sprinted forward in a burst of speed

He ran as if hounded...the visions of death and destruction shadowed him - gaining...and he knew he would never make it in time, unless...

Gathering the Force around him in desperation, he threw his lightsabre...it passed the last barrier just as it was closing.

He skidded to a halt before the wall of fire.

The sabre flew true.

The look on the Sith?s face, as it pierced him was almost comical, but fate was not yet finished.

Time seemed to slow, as his master reacted in shock to the close proximity by which his Padawan?s sabre had passed him - that small lapse, was all the time the Sith needed to strike his Master a parting gesture...before he was swallowed from view, still embedded with the lightsabre.

Qui-Gon Jinn crumpled to the ground.

Obi-Wan's scream of denial mingled with the Sith's fading laugh.

Almost as an afterthought, the shield generator cycled, leaving him free.

fb?

3. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    Looks great. More? :)

4. TwilightKat

Nov 12, 2001
    Woohoo! I have a reader!
    Thanks Sara_Kenobi, there will most certainly be more...:)
    [looks around] anymore vic- um, readers out there? Don't lurk, if u r...

5. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    Interesting. I think I'm ging to read Prequel fics more now. But still, Ani/Ami fics are horrible. One, because of edited for spoilers, and two, because Ani is actually spelled Annie! :eek:

I like this story though. I have sympathy for small fics.

Mine is very small, and I hate sifting through large threads for a post. :p

6. Cheryl_Kenobi

Cheryl_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 6, 2001
    yup yup yup this sounds VERY GOOD. Now all youu have to do is post another part

7. TwilightKat

Nov 12, 2001
    :)
    Thanks Cheryl_Kenobi and Obi-Zahn Kenobi
    [face_blush]

this is your wake up call
    // // thoughts
    A blank wall met his steady gaze.

He blinked once; disorientated.

Dead, he should be --- dead?

There was a buzzing in his ears; he wished it would go away. Though to his disappointment, his wish wasn't obeyed and still the noise droned on.

Something familiar blocked his view of the wall. Irritated, he glanced up...and up...

Someone - A Healer he supposed - was buzzing at him.

Funny, he?d never believed in the ?Abyss?. He didn?t think he had done anything to warrant it...not that it was up to him. He wasn?t surprised that the supposedly non-existent ?Abyss?, looked suspiciously like a Healer?s ward. After all, he could think of no worse torture than to be poked and prodded by the so-called ?healers? for the rest of eternity...

A sharp sting in his arm, brought him back rather rudely to the moment.

The irritating buzzing sound was beginning to fade into something resembling barely understandable words...

?...slight concussion...fade...but a scratch...lucky it only nicked the lung Master Jinn, any further...?

That was all he was permitted to hear, before darkness overtook his consciousness again...

?Are there any objections??

It was not a question, and no-one on the Council would have reservations if it were. For the young man standing before them had proven himself time and again. He was a Knight of the Order in all but name. It would be ridiculous for him to take the Trials formally, as he had already overcome a trial greater then they could create.

Master Yoda arose from his chair and waddled to the newly promoted Knight. Tapping him with his stick, Yoda indicated that he should kneel.

?Humph! Grown in the Force you have, yes, very tall,? Yoda grumbled, mildly annoyed by the boy?s stature.

There was a few good-natured chuckles from the Council at this. Again Yoda poked the young man with his stick, ?How feel you? Ready are you for the charge of Knighthood??

He hesitated, trying to somehow keep his voice above a whisper, ?I hope so, Master. I will do my best.?

Master Yoda smiled and tapped his shoulders with the stick, in a formal blessing and acknowledgement of his new status.

?Arise then, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi Knight and defender of the Republic. Always, May the Force be with You.?

These words were repeated by the rest of the Council in turn. Obi-Wan stood and bowed. He spoke the ritual words in response, bowed once again and made as if to leave. He was stopped by yet another tap from that dreaded stick.

?A word with you young Knight,? Yoda commanded, wordlessly signalling to everybody in the room to exit and continue going about their business.

The hall emptied out quickly, with the holograms of the members who could not be present, fading away, and the present members with brief congratulations. There was also a memorable remark from Master Billaba, which had him blushing. Only when he and Master Yoda remained, did the troll deign to speak. Obi-Wan knelt quickly, before Yoda had a chance to tap him again.

He took a totally inappropriate pleasure in thwarting the small one.

Then the troll wacked him. ?Small I am not; too tall you are!?

A shielded thought whispered undetected through Obi-Wan's mind, //note to self; shield carefully around sadistic little Jedi masters//

Aloud he began to apologize, but was stopped by the troll?s protest.

?Speaking I am, interrupt me you will not,? Yoda's voice softened slightly, ?Rest enough, you do not. Seen the Healers, you have not. Speak of battle, you will not.?

Sad eyes looked up at him, echoing the desperation in Yoda?s voice, ?If know better I did not, think I would, that hide something you do.?

For a brief moment, a flash of guilt seemed to pass through Obi-Wan's eyes, but was gone so quickly that a bystander could almost believe they imagined it.

?Master, I assure you tha

8. ApprenticeM

ApprenticeM Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2001
    Whoa....good stuff Twilight! :)

Just what I need after getting off work :D

9. Amidala_Skywalker

Amidala_Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 2001
    Awww...no need to thank me. I was happy to do it, by the way I love this title. Congratulations on all the readers, is a wonderful story. I hope to see it become popular; More please.

Am [face_love]

10. TwilightKat

Nov 12, 2001
    :) Thanks ApprenticeM

hi Am! [face_love] could there be an ulterior motive for liking this title ;)
    and I believe a proper thanks is in order...[face_mischief]

she's Am-i the Mighty
    Slayer of the Plot bunny
    Everyone adores her
    Even Darth Writer's Block...

:D does anyone know the rest of the ditty so I can 'adapt' it appropriately?

[runs away before Am kills her, leaving the next part]

The Boy in the Mirror....
    // // thoughts

The door swished open, heralding his arrival.

Letting his cloak slip to the floor, he paused in the centre of the room. //Knight//

?Knight Kenobi,? he whispered unbelievably. He supposed that he should feel something; relief, joy...even pride. Though too much pride was wrong. Wrong like this - like he felt...

Hollow; empty.

Someone he hardly knew, paid not heed to, stared back at him in the mirror.

//I do look tired// he thought dispassionately. He touched his braid and began to twirl it through his fingers, a nervous, childish habit. Not worthy of a Knight.

He began to wind its length around his neck, looping the end around his hand, tightening...

He paused when he realised what he was doing, and studied his reflection critically, //It would be fitting if the symbol of my apprenticeship ended my apprenticeship...//

//They trust you to do the right thing. Coward....// He snarled at himself, unwinding the braid and tearing it out with a vicious yank. He didn?t flinch.

//Broken and torn, just like our bond// He touched the bloody area where years of loyalty, duty and much more had originated. Once upon a time he would have added friendship to that list. Before his heart was torn and bleeding, just like the fragile braid, he held in between his fingers

He marched over to his cloak, crouching down to place the braid inside one of his inner pockets. He then removed the broken pieces of the Sith?s lightsabre, and clipped the the working half to his belt.

//I?ll have my rest when I?ve earned it//

The void inside receded a little, under the spark of determination.

The door hissed close, with only the presence of a cloak to indicate that anyone had ever been there.

Senator, no, Chancellor Palpatine, was admiring himself in the mirror.

It was a shame about Maul - but he had gotten what he wanted. Everything was going to plan.

The sound of a lightsabre behind him, was deafening in the relative silence.

?My dear boy, if you are going to kill me. I suggest you attempt it with other means than by old age.?

Blazing blue eyes promised murder; but the blade was retracted.

?You promised that you would leave the Jedi alone.? the voice was calm - deadly.

?I lied,? Sidious admitted bluntly, ?and while we are discussing betrayals, let us consider yours.?

He spun around and stalked over to the young man. Staring him the eye, he stated as coldly as possible, ?Do not think yourself immune to my wrath, boy. I have not come this far, to have my plans crushed, due to your feelings of...compassion.?

He spat out each word, as if it were a curse. ?At the end; you are mine, and you will do as I say or you will pay the consequences.?

His gaze was met by unintimidated green, ?I am unafraid. For I hold the key to your destruction. You can not hurt me more than you already have.?

Sidious could not stiffen a laugh at the young man?s word. Mockingly he replied, ?Really??

Quick as a viper, his hand struck out towards the sharp tongued boy?s neck...and was caught mere millimetres from it, by another iron clad grip.

Calmly he continued, ?That would be true if I were speaking of physical pain...but there are ways in which you are vulnerable,? he sneered.

?The very things that you hold so dear, are what make you weak. Know that those you care for will suffer for your lack of vision.?

?At least I have friends,? he replied tersely.

Sidious turned his back on him and walked to the window l

11. ApprenticeM

ApprenticeM Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2001
    [face_shocked]

WHAT IS GOING ON?!!?!!

Answers!!!! I need answers!!!!!!! [face_shocked]

12. TwilightKat

Nov 12, 2001
    :(
    Well ApprenticeM you seem to be the only one who wants to know...

13. Amidala_Skywalker

Jul 4, 2001
    UP! We cannot let this wondeful story fall!

Am [face_love]

14. TwilightKat

Nov 12, 2001
    upping, so I can find it later...

15. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    *takes a very deep breath*

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!

TK this is AMAZING!!! What the hell is going on?!?! I NEED to know! Oh I love AU's when they're written well like this one! POST MORE SOON!!! :D :D :D

Lovin it, lovin it, lovin it!!!!! ;)

16. imzadi

imzadi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 19, 2000
    Very interesting! Obi-Wan in league with Palpatine? :eek: Or is he really? What's going on? Please post more as soon as you can!

17. TwilightKat

Nov 12, 2001
    Thanks to all readers, as to the question of the moment...[face_mischief] you'll just have to read to find out.
    // // indicate thoughts

Putting your foot in your mouth and not realising it....

"...Qui-Gon, wakey wakey sleepy head..." it was that voice again, obnoxiously cheerful as usual. It seemed that he wasn't one with the Force after all.

//Yippee,// he thought sourly.

The demon masquerading as a 'healer' was prodding him again, in exactly the right place to hurt. Opening an eye, he glared murderously at the Firrerreo. The effect was somewhat ruined by the fact that he was dressed in a medical shirt, and his hair was fluffy.

"Now, Qui-Gon, I know you have had a hard time, but there is no need to be violent," he paused, "and sulky." he added.

Qui-Gon closed his eyes again.

//One wish, just grant me one wish...// a stray thought flashed across his mind.

His eyes snapped open suddenly.

"How is he?" he managed to rasp out, belaying whatever else the healer was going to say.

Healer Datri Veridn looked puzzled for a moment, but then smiled slightly, "I can assure you that your Padawan is fine, and just a few bruises are left as he managed to heal himself. It's quite remarkable really..."

Qui-Gon blanked out what most of the prissy healer was saying, all that mattered was that he was unharmed...wait a minute. What did he mean...

"Padawan? You mean the Council..."

The Healer cut him off, "I'd almost forgotten that he's been knighted, it's about time too..."

It was hard, but Qui-Gon became even more confused. Clearing his throat, he just decided to take the direct approach. "Veridn, what in Force are you mumbling about? I wanted to know how Anakin is."

"Anakin?" the healer parroted.

"Yes, a cheerful, hyperactive little blond kid. About so high," he lifted his arm up weakly and waved it around in an approximate evaluation of height. It made his head throb a bit more, and Veridn instinctively sent a wave of healing energy towards him.

The answer was brief, "Yes, he's fine. He blew up the Federation ship."

"Good," he sighed in relief. Then something registered, "he what?!"

"I think you need to rest a bit more Master Jinn. I'll just put you to sleep."

He fought off the compulsion fiercely. "I need to talk to Anakin first." he bit out, "Please."

If he hadn't been so agitated, he would have probably noticed the sudden drop of temperature in the room.

"You may see, those you wish, after your rest," Datri held up a hand, "and that is final."

He walked out before the pillow Jinn threw, had a chance to hit him.

Padawan Healer Sierra, looked curiously at her master. Her calm and peaceful master, who was in the process of attacking the wall with his head.

"Master, what has the wall done, that is so bad?"

Master Datri paused for a moment and stared at her, "Ah, Sierra. I am conducting an experiment, which if successful will become an important part in the history of medicine."

Sierra nodded seriously, "and what would the nature of this experiment be, my Master?"

"I call it, 'Veridn's essential therapy for anyone who deals with thick-sculled Jedi Masters'."

Sierra thought carefully about this, "That is a rather long-winded name, perhaps a shorter one is needed."

"You are right, my Padawan, how does, 'how to stay sane while treating Jinn' sound?"

"It certainly captures the essence, Master. I shall leave you now to your...therapy."

He bowed slightly, "You are most kind."

Before returning to his 'therapy', //Perhaps someday I will learn if that girl has is devoid of a sense of humour or just has a wickedly subtle one...//

He gave a short snort, //That'll be the day Jinn shaves//

Sierra crept up behind the boy and girl, as was in her nature to do so.

"May I help you?" was the only warning she gave of her presence.

They exchanged a slight look between each other.

"Um, hi." The sandy blonde haire

18. Abbi_Cee

Abbi_Cee Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2000
    I've just found this, I'm a little slow, but I already like it. AUs are fine with me and AUs where Qui-Gon lives even better. What though is going on with Obi? Did he make a deal with Palpatine? When? How long has this been going on?

19. Ginger_Jedi

Jun 4, 2001
    Ahh another cool and mysterious post TK :D

More soon PLEASE!!!!!

20. Amidala_Skywalker

Jul 4, 2001
    You already know what parts I love. I'm a softie when it comes to Anakin or Padme scenes. Romantic and not romantic. I just heard Kat's next post is being worked on right at this very moment

Am [face_love]

21. TwilightKat

Nov 12, 2001
    Listen to Am, you should. Speaking like Yoda am I; know why I do not. :D

[face_blush] thanks Ginger_Jedi and Abbi_Cee, and AC, you'll just have to wait and see...and it's going to be hopelessly AU, by the time I've finished with it.

[lightsabre appears above head] I have an idea; how about a little 'game'. You - the readers - attempt to figure out the plot asap.
    [face_devil] it should be interesting to see what you come up with anyway...and perhaps inspire me to write faster [innocent look]

Next part should be up by tomorrow at the lastest; b/c a friend's coming over today [wanders off to tidy mess that is room]

22. ShirleyLang

ShirleyLang Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 19, 2001
    Tomorrow is long gone and there is still no post. Have you forgotten this thread?

Good work so far!

23. ShirleyLang

Nov 19, 2001
    *Shirley happily types in address*

*Sees layers of dust waiting*

Hello?

*Goes further in and finds more layers of dust*

Is ther somebody else who thinks that this thread shouldn't be dead?

24. Ginger_Jedi

Jun 4, 2001
    TK COME BACK!!!!

25. ShirleyLang

Nov 19, 2001
    Nooo! Come back!

You can't just forget us!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.