main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Unraveled -- Post TPM (Revisited) Complete

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by red rose knight, Jan 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. red rose knight

red rose knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2001
    Summary: While on the planet Cath to witness a royal coronation, Obi-Wan Kenobi and his 16 year old apprentice Anakin Skywalker discover an ancient enemy of the Jedi. An enemy Obi-Wan has faced before.

The usual disclaimers apply. George Lucas owns it all, I'm not making any money on this.

Author's Note: This was the first Star Wars fanfic I ever wrote and posted (under a different pen name). I want to thank Valeda Kor who kindly took the time to beta it. Changes and improvements have been made to fix errors and weaknesses in the story.

Unraveled

Sweat stung Anakin Skywalker?s eyes but he fought the urge to wipe them clear. A moment of weakness would be his downfall. His breathing came in short quick gasps as he leapt, flipped and sliced his pale blue lightsaber through the air only to be caught in the grinding of a well timed block.

Obi-Wan Kenobi pushed Anakin back, growling through clenched teeth as he twisted his lightsaber free and landed a swift kick to the boy?s chest.

Stumbling slightly, the youth quickly regained his footing and dodge the powerful blows leveled at him. He took a step backwards. Not this time, Anakin thought as he blocked another hit.

Lightsabers flashed through the air.

Moving with grace and ease, Anakin quickly swept around, driving his weapon down against his opponent. He willed the smile turning up the corners of his mouth to still as he caught Obi-Wan, but his master quickly blocked and leapt free of the mighty assault.

Delight danced through Anakin?s mind. He knew he was giving Obi-Wan a good fight. The duel had lasted better than a standard hour with neither one delivering the fatal blow to end the battle.

They walked cautious circles, the power of the Force swirling between them. Anakin?s wild, turbulent emotions drove his actions. He faked a lunge and drew back to judge his master?s reaction.

A calm radiated from Obi-Wan as the Force guided his moves. Seasoned in battle, he did not allow Anakin?s taunting to distract him from the task at hand.

Anakin studied the subtle shifts of the older Jedi?s movement. From years of practice and friendship he knew that Obi-Wan was mentally dissecting him, searching for that one unguarded moment of weakness to take him down.

Not this time, Anakin reminded himself as he focused on the weariness entering his master?s moves. A small ripple in the Force gave him Obi-Wan?s next strategy. Moving quickly, he intercepted the Jedi as he feinted left, but rushed right.

Taken off guard, Obi-Wan barely blocked the fierce attack as he was quickly driven backward. Deftly he dodged a killing blow. His lightsaber hummed through the air as he turned, striking quickly at his apprentice.

Anakin kicked out as he spun free, catching Obi-Wan?s bearded chin with his boot, sending the knight down to the rough stone floor. The youth?s lightsaber crashed down against the deck as Obi-Wan twisted and hopped to his feet. Missing a wild swing, he flipped over Anakin bringing his weapon down at a hard angle, nearly overtaking the boy. Only Anakin's quick reflexes saved him.

The dance of lightsabers filled the air with electricity.

This is too easy, Anakin mused as he easily anticipated Obi-Wan?s next move.

A static crash turned the tables, sending him on the retreat. He reached out with the Force, but his thoughts were raging and uncontrolled as he was driven to the nearby stone wall. He dodged parried left and thrust.

The pale and bright blue hues of the two lightsabers crackled as they came together menacingly, their wielders unwilling to break away. Muscles strained as the two glowing blades of light slid down to the hilts.

Sweat clung to the tips of Obi-Wan?s ginger hair as he pressed against the wayward padawan, who not only had the advantage of youth but of height and strength as Anakin brought his weight to bear against the locked sabers.

The Force moved as Anakin?s thoughts raced. He reached out with the Force attemp

2. Jee-dai

Jee-dai Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 8, 2000
    Oooh, this versions already seems much more meatier. :)

3. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    A wonderful begining Red_Rose_Knight.

I wonder whats behind Obi-Wan's behavior...

4. TheSwedishJedi

TheSwedishJedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 15, 2001
    <strolling along the boards, bored. Stops and looks> Oh, what's this? Another RRK story? Really? <does a little dance> :D :D :D Another story, yeah!

Do I really have to tell that this is good? ;)

~Swede :p

5. The_Dead_Parrot

The_Dead_Parrot Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 1, 2002
    Interesting beginning. Can't wait to see more! :)

6. ApprenticeM

ApprenticeM Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2001
    Another RRK thread :)

Looking forward to more!

7. KenobisGirl

KenobisGirl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 10, 2001
    Awesome beginning! Anakin is really getting on my nerves... *Fingers the button on her lightsaber...*

Anyway, more soon please! :D

8. ThatJediGirl

ThatJediGirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2001
    I like it RRK. I had wanted to read this story before, but hadn't had the time. Now that it is up again, I was quick to read the first post :)

9. naw ibo

naw ibo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 18, 1999
    Oh dear, even in reposts we are going to have to wait for one a day. :( Oh well, at least it's an RRK story. :D

This does seem to be starting a bit more strongly, not that there was really anything wrong with the first one, it certainly go me hooked!

10. ThatJediGirl

Mar 11, 2001
    We all love RRK's stories!

11. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm glad some people found it for the first time and the rest of you are reading it again. :)

It is edited and cleaned up throughout the story but you still can tell it was my first try. Especially since this one is not as anti-Qui-Gon and anti-Anakin as An Uncertain Path.

naw ibo--even in reposts we are going to have to wait for one a day.

;) I just like to make readers suffer.

(Don't worry Path lovers, I'm still working on the sequel. I still have twenty books and all but one Temple Ghost to write. And then a quick rewrite to make sure I tied all the stuff together. With luck you will get it before the end of the month.)
    :D

12. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    15 Years Earlier

The silence of the large, rounded room was deafening. It always was when things had not gone well.

Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn carefully eyed many of the members seated around the Council chambers. His expression was somber, matching the mood of those who watched him. The stillness reverberated through the room, defying the constant movement of the commerce lines that flowed in wide arcs around the ancient temple.

In almost an act of defiance, the rich, natural brown of Qui-Gon?s cloak shifted as he drew his arms into a tighter fold. "There was no warning."

The calmness radiating in his voice left no room for doubt in his statement. The venerable Jedi held his head high as if daring the Council members to contradict him. His gaze finally settled on Mace Windu.

The equally commanding senior Council member met Qui-Gon with a steady gaze. Pressing the tips of his long fingers together in a contemplative stance, Mace studied the maverick that stood calmly before him.

"According to your report, these rebels knew exactly where the negotiations were being held. They apparently knew exactly where everyone was sitting as evidenced that Ambassador Vison was shot without hesitation."

Only silence reigned.

Qui-Gon began, "The senate?"

"Has closed their investigation of the Adamere incident," Mace finished.

"Our own council we will keep," Yoda interrupted, "on when this matter is closed."

The tall Jedi nodded respectfully to the diminutive master. The ends of his gray streaked hair fell forward. "They came in quickly," Qui-Gon said, rebuffed. "Somehow information was leaked."

"Obviously," Mace said coolly.

"Every precaution had been taken."

Ki-Adi Mundi leaned forward in his chair. He spoke in a gentle tone belying his position and his interest in getting on with the questioning. "Explain what happened after the rebels stormed the negotiations."

Qui-Gon acknowledged the master with a slight nod, thankful for the respite from Mace's interrogation. "Ambassador Vison was shot the moment the rebels stormed the room. His associate Exen fell next."

Silence.

"And then?" Mace pushed.

"And then I woke up on the
    Hepterius en route back to Coruscant."

Qui-Gon gave a sidelong glance at his apprentice who stood silently next to him. His firm expression gave no hint of the concern that flooded through him. A thickness clogged his memories. Vaguely he flashed on the dull ache that had been at the back of his head as he trudged through the small transport searching for his missing padawan.

Mace relaxed a little, folding back into the shape of his chair, glancing over at Yoda in silent counsel before his gaze returned to Qui-Gon. "Was there any way that Minister Tepin could have got the information out?"

"As I stated in my report," Qui-Gon repeated, "every precaution had been taken. There was no?there was a vague sense of uncertainty. If Minister Tepin was involved he masked it well."

"Tepin was quite involved," Mundi spoke up. "He?s claimed responsibility for organizing the coup. Placed himself Viceroy. The settlement is under martial law, on the verge of civil war."

"Doomed to fail it was," Master Yoda said after a long pause as if finally accepting what he had long known. "More willing to fight than seek a peaceful solution." His gaze never met Qui-Gon?s; instead, he settled on the apprentice.

"We had hoped the Adamerians would have at least tried negotiation before attempting an overthrow," Mace added as a wave of his hand dismissed the Jedi.

Qui-Gon bowed and began to retreat toward the doors.

"I just have one more question." The tone in Mace?s voice was deadly serious. Unwavering, his dark eyes settled upon Obi-Wan, who had stood silently by his master?s side during the questioning.

"Where were you?" His voice was steady as he spoke up again after a long lull, "Have you nothing to say?"

Obi-Wan stood silently, arms folded into the sleeves of his cloak. His head bowed in a gesture of humility.

"Master Jinn sa

13. TheSwedishJedi

Sep 15, 2001
    I'm with Mace on this one. What happened to Obi? And can't the Council tell that something's wrong with him? Or at least Qui-Gon?

14. naw ibo

Mar 18, 1999
    No anti-Anakin and anti-Qui-Gon sentiment...hmmm...I knew there was a weakness in this story somewhere. ;)

Just kidding. I'm going to enjoy reading this a second time with all the improvements.

15. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    I always enjoy your fics, red_rose_knight. Especially without anti-Anakin and anti-Qui-Gon sentiments. (Hi naw ibo! ;) ). I enjoyed this story the first time around; look forward to seeing it again with whatever changes you've made.

16. Kazaiar

Kazaiar Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 3, 2002
    Strong & gripping beginning, RRK. I haven't read any of your other stuff - though I may rectify that error soon. Can't think how I missed it ... I've been a perpetual JC-lurker since summer 2000.

Hmmm ... I'm very interested to see exactly how the second post ties into the first. Looking forward to updates!

17. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    TheSwedishJedi--Don't worry, they know, sort of.

naw ibo-- 8-} What did I know back when I wrote this? I figured people would be upset if I wrote anti-Ani and anti-Qui.

anakin_girl--Thanks!

Kazaiar--Glad you found the story.

18. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    The normally quiet halls of the ancient temple vibrated with the pounding of footsteps as Anakin dodged and darted around casual walkers.

The dark leather of the padawan?s boots was a blur as he sped, tilted and barely made a corner. Skidding over the polished tile, blue eyes darted along the length of the hall as he unconsciously reached out for the Force.

Pulled along on a current of energy he started sprinting toward an unknown destination. He didn?t need vision or hearing to guide him. His entire being buzzed with the sense of all paths everything moved on, the entire temple pulsing with its own intensity. The arcane power cascaded over him like the great waterfall of Theed; his senses tuned to a bright, shining thread. Grasping onto the conduit of light, Anakin chased it through the immense structure.

So focused on the singular thread he never saw the tall figure of Ki-Adi Mundi until it was nearly too late. Anakin?s feet got in the way as he tried to stop, tumbled, rolled and leapt back up in a single fluid motion.

"Excuse me, Master!"

"Young Skywalker," Mundi said calmly, hardly ruffled by the boy?s antics.

Anakin executed a formal bow. His breathing was quick and he made no attempt to calm himself, his thoughts reaching out and riding on the Force searching the vast temple for the thread he had dropped in his near collision.

"Is there not someplace you should be?"

"I'm on my way there now," Anakin said as he abruptly took off running again, having found the thread.

Mundi just shook his long head.

Anakin's gait slowed as he jogged closer to the library, never stopping as he continued past the large doors and on down the hall. The bright thread of light guided him around corners to a rarely used section of the temple.

The large room that overlooked the flowing veins of cloud cars went unused save for nontraditional celebrations and gatherings.

He made no attempt to mask his presence.

The natural and artificial glow of Coruscant poured in through the large glass domed ceiling. Golden light that danced over the intricate floor pattern reminded the youth of the gently shifting sands of Tatooine. Immediately he shook off the notion of home in favor of a more urgent matter.

A soft pounding echoed in the back of his thoughts connected to the shimmering thread that drew him deeper into the large room.

Am I the only one? He thought. There is an entire temple full of Jedi. They have to know. How could they not? The constant thrumming was a homing beacon.

Master? Anakin called out softly over the strangled bond to the figure standing near the curved windows.

The stillness of the large room radiated calming energies toward his turbulent emotions. Anakin paused, breathing in deeply and centered himself.

Master? A little more forcefully this time.

On the edge there was a threat just out of reach.

"You are blocking me again."

Obi-Wan turned to stare at his apprentice with a mild hint of alarm that would have been missed by anyone but Anakin.

"Something about our next assignment has changed," the boy said, as if testing the air. "We?re still going to Cath. Something?s different."

The youth hesitated as if waiting for the answer to reveal itself through the Force. The masters of the Council chambers were keeping a tight hold on their information. His mind was racing with excitement, sensing another grand adventure to mark his young life.

"The Council has summoned us. I have been urged to find you quickly. They are waiting."

There was little response from the silent figure by the window.

"I tried contacting?you were blocking me again." Anakin tried to steel his voice but a little crack seeped through. Quickly he let loose a roguish grin to cover up his weakness. "I?m beginning to think this is some lesson you?re teaching me on how to find people who don?t want to be found."

Again Anakin caught the brief look of alarm and then Obi-Wan?s expression eased, followed by a slightly fake smile. "I am sorry," Obi-Wan sa

19. ThatJediGirl

Mar 11, 2001
    Something is wrong with Obi Wan- he seems detached from the world. Someting bad is going to happen [face_plain]

20. ApprenticeM

ApprenticeM Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2001
    Man this is weird.....I have to keep reminding myself Ani and Qui are good guys in this one............

Not only that, but you actually feel sorry for Ani! [face_shocked]

But I'm sure that'll pass when Book 2 comes out ;)

21. naw ibo

Mar 18, 1999
    Ah yes...the current grail of our fanfic travels: AUP: Book Two :)

I almost wish the old version of the story was still up, so I could compare them and find the changes. It might be interesting. We could do a close text analysis, going over revisions and trying to figure out what mean... LOL!

22. TheSwedishJedi

Sep 15, 2001
    If the old version was up, I'd be able to read it all now and know what's going on. But RRK did say this was rewriten, so it must be better. And I quess I can wait. Makes it that much sweeter. :D

23. KenobisGirl

KenobisGirl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 10, 2001
    This has got to be the only time when I'm actually feeling sorry for Anakin... :eek: How did that happen?! :eek:

Great post, and I wonder, what's wrong with Obi?

More soon please!! :D

24. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    ApprenticeM--Not only that, but you actually feel sorry for Ani!

But I'm sure that'll pass when Book 2 comes out

You think? :D

naw ibo--I almost wish the old version of the story was still up

You would! [face_laugh] Sorry, but I thought it best to get rid of the evidence..er, original draft. Mostly Valeda Kor helped clean up my severely overwritten prose and pointed out some weak spots. Although before every post I read the chapter and am still nit picking at everything making changes here and there.

I don't know, I think this is going to turn into a daily AUP: The Long, Twilight Path update too. Fifteen more chapters and all but one Temple Ghost are left. Plus a rewrite or two. Seems the characters keep changing the rules. I can hardly keep up with their demands. ;) And I haven't named a single book yet.

25. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    "What have you learned of the planet Cath?" Ki-Adi Mundi asked, staring at Anakin.

"They are a peaceful planet," the apprentice answered, drawing from his studies. "Fifteen years ago, Jedi were sent to bless the regency of High Lady Denara and the future ruler, Halor of Cath." He thought for a moment, drawing his arms tighter under the sleeves of his cloak as he glanced over at his quiet master.

Turning his attention to Obi-Wan, Mundi questioned, "What do you remember about the blessing of Cath?"

Anakin silently watched as Obi-Wan drew in a deep breath. A tiny surge of relief filled him as he sensed the throbbing in the back of his head diminish as Obi-Wan began to speak.

"The Lady Halor was too young to ascend to the throne at the time of her father, the High Lord Emerian?s death."

"She is old enough now," Mace responded. He studied the Jedi Knight and his apprentice, who seemed to be mildly distracted by the room. "The conditions of your assignment have changed."

Anakin snapped to attention.

"There have been three abduction attempts against the Lady Halor. Her mother, the High Lady Denara has requested protection as well as your presence to bless the ceremony. There is an official transport leaving in the morning. A cabin has been reserved for the honored guests," he said with a smile at Obi-Wan?s wince. "This is a diplomatic transport." He made careful note of the stricken look that graced Anakin?s face. "This would provide Padawan Skywalker a chance to brush up and improve on his diplomatic skills."

Nervously looking away, Anakin struggled to stifle a grin. "It was an honest mistake?"

"Anakin," Obi-Wan snapped a little too harshly, surprised by the boy?s outburst.

"Impetuous this boy is, hmm? Someone else reminds me of," Yoda said. The ancient master?s attention did not hold long on the padawan; instead he quietly focused on the knight in the center of the room.

"As I was saying," Mace said slowly, certain he would not be interrupted again. "Chancellor Palpatine has specifically requested that you two handle this affair. Need I stress the importance that this coronation occurs without a problem? You are to see that she is protected until the ceremony is complete."

"It is imperative that things go well," Ki-Adi Mundi stressed.

Before Anakin could further embarrass himself before the Council Mace waved his hand. "You two have much to prepare for."

Obi-Wan nodded, bowed and noted Anakin mimicked the same movement. Not out of reason or respect, but simply that he did it.

Outside the Council chambers, Obi-Wan stopped. "You should not speak before the Council unless addressed."

"Yes, my Master," Anakin said lowering his head slightly.

"More importantly," Obi-Wan began with a slight smile. "Master Windu does not like to be interrupted." The folds of the long reddish brown sleeves intensified as the knight drew his arms tight to his chest. "You should know that by now."

"I should meditate on my error and learn more patience," Anakin responded diplomatically as he glanced around to make sure no one was watching. Then a big grin erupted. "At least we?re doing something now instead of just standing around looking important."

"Adventure a Jedi craves not," Obi-Wan mimicked Yoda to Anakin?s disapproval. "There is a lot to prepare for. Packing for one." He glanced back at the closed Council chambers. "Go on. I?ll meet you at our quarters shortly."

Anakin stood his ground.

"Something, Padawan?" He did not allow time for an answer. "I am waiting to speak with Master Yoda."

"About me?" Anakin panicked.

"Yes, Anakin, I?m sure there is something I can think of to complain to Master Yoda about."

"You?re joking, right?" Anakin said, allowing the skepticism to flow over his youthfully handsome features.

"It?s not always about you. But, if you would prefer?"

"No, thank you," Anakin said quickly as he turned and took off toward the nearest lift.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.