main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Book of Paths: The Long Twilight Path

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by red rose knight, Feb 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. red rose knight

red rose knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2001
    Summary: It is now five years after the events of An Uncertain Path. The Republic is divided and on the verge of civil war. Key political figures that have held the fragile galactic government together are being systematically assassinated. Now it is up to Obi-Wan Kenobi and his apprentice Bali Tiro to find the assassin before it is too late.

The usual disclaimers apply. George Lucas owns it all; I am not making any money on this.

Author's Note: This is the sequel to An Uncertain Path. While not required, it would be helpful just to know what is going on. You can read AUP here: AUP thread or if you want to skip all the wonderful feedback and discussion you can read it here. Also for kicks, there is also the Speculation/Discussion Thread.

2. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001

There's a dark side to each and every human soul. We wish we were Obi-Wan Kenobi, and for the most part we are, but there's a little Darth Vader in all of us. Thing is, this ain't no either-or proposition. We're talking about dialectics, the good and the bad merging into us. You can run but you can't hide. My experience? Face the darkness. Stare it down. Own it. As brother Nietzsche said, being human is a complicated gig. So give that ol' dark knight of the soul a hug. Howl the eternal yes!

Chris Stevens, "Northern Exposure"

The Long Twilight Path
    _________

The Book of Knowledge of Good and Evil

In the bleak light of the dying day a soft rain fell against the intricately laid cobblestone road. Water pooled in the dips and tiny streams on the roughly paved surface.

The dull sky reflected in the little rivers as they flowed carelessly around the smooth rocks mixing with the crimson tint from the day's earlier battles.

The touch of red twisted around the ancient stones, thinning and blending with the water until it vanished into the shadow of the great wall that divided the city of Koba.

A loud hacking broke the gentle silence of the rainfall.

"Miserable weather," a large human Clausum grumbled as he paced before the gateway leading to the Tomenaar side of the city.

"It could be worse, Roik," the senior officer said. "Those hairy beasts could be rioting like earlier."

Roik just grumbled between coughs as he pulled the collar of his cloak up around his ears and leaned back against the fortified wooden doors.

Saar paced along the wall, pausing to listen to the falling rain. The weather was too cold and miserable for anyone in his or her right mind to be out on the streets and it suited the older man just fine. He turned to glance back at the door that protected him from the Tomenaar half of the city.

It was his job to protect the Clausum's from that vermin and he did his job with verve. No matter what the weather threatened he would vigilantly maintain his post. No one would escape on his watch.

Not like what had happened just that morning during another guard's watch.

The wall breech had left twelve Clausums dead.

Over the rain slicked cobblestone streets came a gentle splashing of small footsteps as a boy ran toward the two human guards. The falling rain had plastered his dark hair to his scalp and the water trickled down his forehead. Tears streamed down his cheeks from bright green eyes. He whimpered as he approached the men. "My father is missing." He stood there for a moment and then burst into sobs. "I want my patri!"

The two Clausums eyed each other but did not move from the shelter of the great wall.

The boy wiped thick tears from his eyes as he humbly approached the two guards. "Please, sirs, have you seen my patri?"

Saar considered the soaking wet boy. His eyes were red and he appeared to have been sobbing for some time. Sighing he stepped into the gently falling rain. "I don't know, what does he look like?"

The boy held his hand above his head. "About this tall." Sniffling he stared up at the senior officer. "He didn?t come home and he works near here. Sells camir fruits at the market." Again the boy wiped tears from his big green eyes as he looked up at the two men standing before him. "I heard there was a break in the wall this afternoon. He hasn?t come home yet." He fought back another sob waiting for an answer.

A sad look briefly danced across Saar's face. "I need to make a call," he said plainly knowing he did not want to be the one to break the news to the boy if his father was among the victims. "Let's see if I can get someone to help you, all right?"

The boy nodded through tear blurred eyes. "Yes, sir," his voice trembled.

The tall commander turned only to find Riok lying face down on the white stone behind him. "What the?"

Instantly the boy reached out, a powerful Force push sent Saar slamming back against the heavy wooden doors. The large form crumpled to th

3. ThatJediGirl

ThatJediGirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2001
    First of all,

Wow.

:eek:

In the bleak light of the dying day a soft rain fell against the intricately laid cobblestone road. Water pooled in the dips and tiny streams on the roughly paved surface.

That was a very good opening. I could see that paragraph and the entire scene following it.

I am glad to see the team together and I must say Bali is still one cute kid.

I wonder if the will actually kill Palpatine... hmmm...

4. TwilightKat

TwilightKat Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 12, 2001
    [face_shocked]
    Now *that's* the way to start a fic in style.

I'm very curious to see what Obi-Wan's reaction to the 'kill Palpatine' order will be :)

I like the developement of the relationship between Bali and Obi apparant here.

Looking forward to more *soon* rrk.

:D TK [aka Kat]

5. oswell

oswell Jedi Youngling

Oct 9, 2001
    Well worth the wait RRK.
    If first chapters are anything to go by then this is a winner. I wonder what that Spex told Bali?
    Can't wait for the next post!

6. TheFallen

TheFallen Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    As always, you had me at hel.. no, wait. Let's just say the first paragraph.

Oh, joyous me, I'm so ecstatic that I can look forward to RRK posting! The glimmer of hope on the bleak fic horizon. :)

Rock on!

7. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    Oh you FINALLY started this!!! :D :D :D

Wonderful begining RRK! :)

8. TheSwedishJedi

TheSwedishJedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 15, 2001
    And it begins again.

I have many questions, but knowing you, I wouldn't get them answered until this is almost done. Well, this will be a good way to learn patiences.

~Swede :p

9. Jacka_Leval

Jacka_Leval Jedi Youngling

Jan 16, 2002
    Wow!!!!!!!!!!! Great start RRK...you know, I think all of your other fans would agree with me here, it would be so much nicer (not to mention better on our hearts) if you just posted the whole story at once :D No...didn't think so :_| , oh well, just keep the posts coming :D

10. Ani_rhymeswith_pansy

Ani_rhymeswith_pansy Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 13, 2001
    YAY!

*Dances around*
    You posted your new story!

:D

So, can I expect more Ani-bashing?

[face_devil]

11. KenobisGirl

KenobisGirl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 10, 2001
    Great start! I can't wait for more! :D

That was sad... :(

More soon please! ;) :)

KG :cool:

12. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    What a great start. I am curious to know what the old master said that so unsettled Bali. Will we ever find out?

13. Shadows-2005

Shadows-2005 Jedi Youngling

Jan 14, 2002
    Yay! *dances around the room giddily* Finally! I loved the beginning, and Bali was just absolutely adorable. ^.^ Can't wait to see how Obi-wan reacts to the message. What will he do? Eagerly awaiting the next chapter.

14. jedi7

jedi7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2002
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    WHOOPEE!!!!!!!!!!!!! It seemed like Feb 1 would never get here, and even longer since i'm on EST. You know no matter where you go in the universe sombody knows Yoda
    well will our hero's need to "save" Darth ooh i mean Palpatine from an assassin.
    I'll quit rambling and meditate to pace myself for the weeks to come. I LOVE THIS SO FAR :)

15. red rose knight

Sep 3, 2001
    I didn't really expect everyone to waiting for it to hit the board. I thought you would all trickle back over a couple weeks. I don't know whether to be happy about it or afraid. Thanks!

I take it the first post met with approval?

Oh, by the way (for those of you who haven't heard) a Book a day until it ends just a few days before AOTC hits the theatres. :D

So the suffering, er...reading has begun.

16. shanobi

shanobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    WHAT A GREAT START!!!

I'm somewhat new around here so i got to read AUP almost in one sitting. Now I guess i have to wait for the next post like everyone else.

I am SO looking forward to this! I'm on EST also so it does seem i have to wait longer. This is well worth the wait though. :)

17. naw ibo

naw ibo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 18, 1999
    Well, I couldn't wait, so I read it.

Beautiful opening. I like the relationship that Bali and Obi-Wan are displaying so far.
    And starting us off with an immediate mystery in what Spex may have said to Bali! We didn't even really get to know Spex and I'm sorry to see him go.

Now did he mean "Kill Palpatine" as in "Palpatine needs to be killed" or did he mean "They are trying to kill Palpatine". Of course if this Palpy is anything like OUR Palpy, we know Palpy is really the one that needs killin'.

18. Megz110

Megz110 Jedi Youngling

Jan 4, 2002
    I have been without power for the past 17 hours...I didn't have to do anything and it should have been one of the most relaxing days I've had in a while, but it wasn't and do you know why? Because I was too busy spazing over whether or not the cable lines would be up so I could get to this fic=) Oh, but it was worth digging out my aol and using the phone line...
    GREAT start, I cannot wait for some of your patinted Obi torture as served by Qui (there's gonna be some of that right? Oh please oh PLEASE=)

~Megan

19. ApprenticeM

ApprenticeM Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2001
    I second naw ibo's question......Did he mean they had to protect Palaptine or actually kill him?

Great, just one post and already we've got questions....... RRK, is it too much to hope that we may get answers in the near future this time? ;)

BTW, I'm happy to see this up finally! :D :D

20. Sugar_Bear

Sugar_Bear Jedi Master star 3

Dec 14, 2001
    What a wonderfully dark, ominously atmospheric opening book!

I love how you've created such a warm and caring, yet proper rapport between Master Obi and his Padawan. They really make a formidible Jedi pair!

Super job!

21. Nat

Nat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    YES! "The Long Twilight Path" is here!! [face_laugh]

*dances around on her chair*

Okay, let's calm down. It's only the first post! But what an excellent first post!

22. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    :eek: and :D

It's here! It's here! KJ does a little happy dance of joy...lalalalala....there.

Great start! Now, I know this will sound selfish but...MORE!!

23. TheFallen

TheFallen Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    The only suffering I'll get from you is waiting every day for the posts!

Ah, every saga has a beginning... and every fic has a totally bitchin' start.

At least this is something to read every day! I haven't had many fics to follow recently. Yay! It's great to be reading again!

It seems we all came stampeding back in more of a flash flood than a trickle :D

24. Jedi_Laura_Kenobi

Jedi_Laura_Kenobi Jedi Master star 5

Jul 23, 2001
    WHOHOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! :D It's finally here! :D :cool:

Of course we've been waiting for it! How exciting! :D The sequel! :)

And already many questions... it's amazing the way you can do that... ;) I'm looking forward to more! :D

25. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    WICKED start RRK! Talk about throwing us all in at the deep end... :eek:

Indeed, the reader torture has begun... *gulps*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.