main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FREEZE FRAMES - Vignettes of life in the Jedi Temple - UPDATED 11/19/03 Obi-centric, cradle to purge

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by CYNICAL21, Aug 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CYNICAL21

CYNICAL21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    Having completely exhausted myself in the marathon effort to complete AUF - after the previous marathon effort of generating GTA - I have decided that the next magnum opus I write - which is already begun - is going to proceed at my own pace, which is to say, like snail mail. I may be prolific - but I'm not a glutton for punishment. The working title, BTW, for anyone interested, is Songs from the Valley of Life. Sort of hokey, you say? I can't help but agree - but it's the name that struck me, and I usually tend to stick with my first instincts. Sometimes it works out well; sometimes not. [face_mischief]

Anyway - just to keep my hand in - and because I enjoy the feedback of my faithful following - I've decided to open this thread as a sort of series: moments illustrating the wide variety of life and lifestyles within the Jedi Temple, both pre- and post-TPM. Some will be light (well - for me, anyway), some will be dark, and some will be - ambiguous? I don't know how many there will be; depends on how many ideas pop into my mind. It will NOT however, depend on how well this is received; anyone familiar with my work knows, by this time, that - though I enjoy the feedback - I don't write for you. I don't even write for me. I write because the stories demand to be told - somewhere in my frazzled brain. And I become more and more convinced that - due to the nature of my work - I'm never going to be the queen of the prom, so to speak. I don't do fluff and I don't do mush and I don't do slapstick (although I hope I do sometimes do comedy)-so I'm never going to appeal to a broad fanbase - but I do very much appreciate those of you who find quality in my efforts.

As always - Georgie, Georgie, he's our man - and they're his (except for the ones that are mine :D ). I just like to take them out to play once in a while.

Note: Italics indicate thought. Bold indicates emphasis or mental communication.

Some of these pieces will be separately titled; some won't - and I hope to keep them in some sort of chronological order, but that's an intention - not a promise. Each will be a separate little vignette - complete within itself.

I should also point out that there will be no particular schedule for posting. It will be posted as it gets written - and I should probably thank The Musical Jedi for reinforcing this idea. :D

So - without further maundering - please join me for

FREEZE FRAMES

Sub-Title: Two Lost Souls

For Coruscant, it was a remarkably quiet night - and remarkably dark as well, except for the occasional, startling flash of lightening. Startling because lightening was usually not allowed in the skies over the great city-planet. The fact that it was daring to carve its blue-white brilliance across the face of the heavens was proof positive that the planetary weather control system was on the fritz - again. Which also explained the paucity of traffic in the usually congested sky-lanes. The linear patterns of myriad lights, which usually made true darkness impossible, were thinned dramatically in the face of towering thunderheads; only official vehicles and those that had no other choice dared brave the unpredictable violence of a random storm.

Coruscant - and her inhabitants - had long forgotten how to cope with natural phenomenon; the very concept was alien to them. Storms were no longer acceptable in this bastion of civilization.

There were children living in the city who had never seen a drop of rain; needless to say, they had also never seen a rainbow.

He thought that was rather sad, as he lowered himself to a meditational posture, tucking his arms into the generous well of his sleeves. The garden around him was a study in shadow - and silence. He was alone - as he had intended, and a small, rueful smile touched his lips as he realized that some part of him had hoped that he would not achieve his goal.

But his Master - ever mindful of respecting the privacy of his padawan - had taken him at his word. The mission just assigned to them wo

2. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    That was lovely. You always amaze me with your talent.
    I hope you continue with other vignettes.

3. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess and Champion star 4 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
    Great job! That was so awesome!

4. jedi-jenn

jedi-jenn Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2002
    I just love this, Cyn. What a nice little fic to wake up to this morning. These vignettes of yours are simply wonderful. It's nice to get a glimpse of life within the temple. I also think the character of Xanatos is very interesting and I'm glad you're exploring him. Hmmm, why do I get the feeling that that little child is a certain well-adored padawan?? :)
    Keep up the superb work and I look forward to this next magnum opus of yours! Heck, I look forward to all you work! ;)

5. CYNICAL21

Jul 8, 2001
    Jenn, Viari, & diane - thanks for the kudos. And I think I can guarantee that this will continue for a while. It'll give me the chance to get all those pop-up ideas actually written and posted, before they sink into the obscurity of my extremely cluttered mind.

And, btw, if anyone has a particular character or scenario they would like to see exploited, suggest away. I find that feedback is like electric power; it feeds the intellect.

Ciao for now.

CYN

6. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    :eek: Very interesting.Ole Xanatos seems to be inspiring alot of people lately! :D Keep um coming Cynical.Would Xanatos remember this meeting later in JW's world when he and Obi meet up again? ?[face_plain] There's a frame I'd like to see! hint hint! :p

7. Antigone

Antigone Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 24, 2002
    Cyn, I am spellbound - and on the active search for varients of descriptive words as such. Many more of these and I fear I'll have to send a plea to Webster's.

I come in for a quick peek as AUF's postscript, and not only find that has been updated - thrice! - but that you have dropped a nice Xani vignette in my lap. The things one misses when she disappears into oblivion for a few days. ;)

The fic - while about Xani - gave a nice (or not) glance into the life of a ginger haired boy before he found his way to the Temple - and gives reason why he's a glutton for punishment.

Quick question. These are going to be interconnected, right? I assume so as they are being posted on the same thread, under the same main title. If so, I really would like to see how Obi would deal with his past - the past you've created for him. And how Qui would react to his padawan jarring him awake with an ear-splitting scream.

Excellent job. I look forward to more.

~Antigone

8. Cascadia

Cascadia Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    A very moving piece!

I'm looking forward to more. :)

9. Malz4JESUS

Malz4JESUS Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 12, 2002
    You just can't stop making me read your vignettes!!! :D
    You write very well and you keep me reading these! :)
    God bless!

<3-Moose

10. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    A vignette I'd like to see is one where it is explained why Obi-Wan has never met Count Dooku. Is Qui-Gon sheltering Obi from the Count on principle or perhaps the Count has more sinister plans for Obi-Wan that Qui-Gon must thwart?
    After all, they are such a disfunctional family (Sith do seem to abound in their Master/Padawan relationships)...

11. creelin

creelin Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 16, 2002
    That was beautiful! I hope you post more soon.

12. naw ibo

naw ibo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 18, 1999
    Great vignette, CYN, as usual. Who knew back in the days when you claimed not to be able to write anything but epics, that you'd prove equally talented at these short pieces. ;)

dianethx is right. I'm really curious as to how and why Obi-Wan somehow managed to never be introduced to Dooku and would love to see your take on it.

13. yoda4982

yoda4982 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 10, 2002
    CYN, you still amaze me, don't stop, i haven't yet finshed reading it, but from what i've read, its you, and i like. but now its to late to read and i must work on my fic before i forget my idea. anyways i will give my full remarks once i read it through. but i am astounished at how you just keep writing and writing, there seems to be no end to your creativity.

Yoda

14. The Musical Jedi

The Musical Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 13, 1999
    I can't believe I missed this! Nice first vignette, Cyn, but was there ever any doubt? I like the spin you've put upon Xanatos, as well as the history you've given your favorite character. ;) Very nice ambiance as well, with the rain and the thunder.

Personally, I would like to see some of Qui's apprenticeship. I know how you perceive him, but why do you think he is that way? What kind of master do you think Dooku was to forge such a flawed rebel?

[face_blush] My reinforcement led to this? If it means that I get to read it, any time you want reinforcement, I'll be happy to oblidge!

15. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    My evening is now complete. First a new car, now a new thread from Cyn.

Wonderful story. This is the first time I have ever seen an author get into Xani's head while he is still a padawan.. I hope you stay in this time frame (with little Obi-Wan) for a while before moving on :)

16. CYNICAL21

Jul 8, 2001
    Oh, how lovely to log on on a Monday morn and find such wonderful comments - and some very intriguing suggestions, which I will certainly try to explore for future posts.

Except - AHEM - TMJ - I swear I'm going to stop reading your comments - because you come up with the most interesting - er - compelling plot suggestions. I did NOT intend to go back further in time in this series, to explore Qui's apprenticeship - until you had to go and open your mouth. :eek:

What AM I going to do with you?

You know, I COULD make it a challenge - which is more your game than mine - but it would make some interesting reading, don't you think? The hypothesis: vignettes about Qui-Gon's training that provide insight into the Master he becomes.

Wow! Powerful, huh? And Yes, you evil thing, I think inspiration has just struck - but it'll have to wait its turn. Right now, I'm fighting off a vision of a 4-year-old, ginger-haired toddler, who takes an active but unexplained dislike to a certain politician - with interesting results.

And, yes, I can also envision Qui's reaction to his padawan's midnight screams - and situations that might develop because of the child's history.

Furthermore, the question of Obi-Wan and Dooku is becoming quite the puzzle - for a lot of people, I think - and I look forward to exploring it, down the road a bit.

Ahh - so many plots - and so little time.

And, unfortunately, the real world is NOT being very understanding.

Gotta go. More later.

CYN

17. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    :D I live to complicate... Besides, you asked for it. As I recall, you said And, btw, if anyone has a particular character or scenario they would like to see exploited, suggest away. I had one, so I requested that it be exploited. And who's to say that Qui-Gon couldn't reminisce for one reason or another?

As for what you are going to do with me, ultimately, it is your own decision. Does this mean I'm back on your list? ;)

18. CYNICAL21

Jul 8, 2001
    TMJ - Nah - that list is usually pretty short - and membership is fleeting.

Good idea about the reminiscence - it could work in very nicely. But that will be a while in coming as we're progressing in baby steps here.

I still think YOU could posit some interesting scenarios. Sure you don't want to take a crack at it? [face_mischief]

Never let it be said that I missed a chance to fling down a gauntlet of my own. :D

CYN

19. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    And, despite the lamentable timing (moving to college come Wednesday), I cannot walk away from a challenge. Let me think upon this and come up with something... suitable. [face_mischief]

20. shanobi

shanobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    Oh, what a wonderful idea CYN :) And what a wonderful way to start!

Xanatos is one of my fave JA characters, and I like to see him how you have written him in this post.

It does make one wonder, if canon does apply at all, if Xananots were to recall that innocent little force signature when he meets him again later on in life. Probably not, or who's to say? I don't know. I doubt by that time it would have mattered much to him anyways.

Anyways, so glad you've started a new fic and that you are giving us these wonderful little vignettes until you feel ready to start posting your next epic :)

Can't wait for more.

21. Arwyn_Whitesun

Arwyn_Whitesun Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 2002
    That was wonderful, Cyn! I love Xanatos. Even wrote a somewhat long fic about him, which, unfortunately, can't post here, so he is one of my fave characters. I loved how you plunged the depths of this fallen angel and the interaction between him and Obi-Wan was just, simply, beautiful. I look forward to reading more of your vignettes of life in the Jedi Temple. There are so many possible stories. :D

22. CYNICAL21

Jul 8, 2001
    I've always been somewhat fascinated by Xanatos. There seems to be a lot of potential for character development that was never addressed in the JA stories (Surprise, surprise! :eek: )

Sigh - I think I just got snagged by another damned prospective plot line. If I write steadily - without vacations - for the next ten years, I might get them all done, but, of course, it's unlikely I'll still have an audience by then.

Oh, well.

Ciao for now.

CYN

23. shanobi

shanobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    I have to agree with you CYN, Xanatos is a very fascinating character.

I'm probably letting the cat out of the bag, somewhat early here, but my next fic will be exploring more of that wonderful character-- In a way that DW or JW never intended, but I always find a deeper look, such as the one you gave us - - is just so irresistable.

You wrote Xan's feelings beautifully--surprise, surprise! :D

Can't wait for more.

24. astroanna

astroanna Jedi Master star 4

Jul 8, 2002
    Lovely as always, Cyn!

:)

Now, maybe this is obvious, so I hope you'll humor me: the three year old child was our Obi-Wan, right?

25. CYNICAL21

Jul 8, 2001
    astroana - Hey!! It's me! Who else do you think it would be? :D

Although I do think I'll include a few pieces herein that do not directly involve my favorite Jedi - most will, to some extent.

I keep thinking of new things to add; so batten down the hatches, Folks. This could be one really l-o-o-o-o-o-n-n-n-n-g-g-g-g thread.

[face_mischief]

CYN

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.