main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Malevolent Winter (JA)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by LadyVorgunby, Sep 9, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LadyVorgunby

LadyVorgunby Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2000
    This is my first SW fanfic, so be nice to me kay?
    Feedback is always much appreciated.
    Obi-Wan is 16, so 9 years before TPM
    // indicates force messages
    ~ indicates thought
    *indicates italics

Qui-Gon Jinn entered the quarters he shared with his padawan. He was coming from the Council, who had a new mission for the pair. Qui-Gon approached the soft snoring coming from beneath a blanket on the couch in the common area of the apartment in the Temple.

Obi-Wan Kenobi clutched a tissue in his hand as he slept peacefully on the couch. The nearby table held a full box of tissues and a half-full cup of tea.16-year-old Obi-Wan was just recovering from a nasty head cold passed on from his master. Qui-Gon felt a little guilty about that. His padawan had cared for him while he was sick, and in turn got sick himself. It was no surprise really, as worn out as they had been.

The Council had them out for nearly a year on back to back to back missions. Because they were both recovering, the Council had let them have a little down time.
    ~ Just enough time for us to recover~ Qui-Gon thought. Now that they were back to normal, for the most part, the Council was ready to send them back out.

// Padawan// Qui-Gon sent through the bond he shared with Obi-Wan as he shook him gently by the shoulder. Obi-Wan stirred, but didn?t open his eyes. Qui-Gon sat on the edge of the couch near where the boy was curled up.

// Don? wanna get up// the boy protested.

Qui-Gon didn?t want to wake him, he still needed his rest, but he had important information to share. He shook his apprentice a little harder. ?Come on Obi-Wan. We need to talk,? he said aloud this time.

// I?m awake//

?Sure you are,? Qui-Gon smiled. ?Drag yourself up while I fix some tea.?

A mumbled reply that sounded something like ?Yes, Master? came from the blanket on the couch. Qui-Gon laid a hand on his padawan?s forehead and rose to make the tea.
    From the kitchen, Qui-Gon heard Obi-Wan make his way to the ?fresher, then settle back on the couch. Qui-Gon carried the tea in on a tray and settled next to his padawan who was sitting up now, and blowing his nose gently.

?How do you feel?? Qui-Gon asked, while using the Force to probe for fever.

Obi-Wan sniffed and cleared his throat. ?Better. But still tired. I slept for 3 days.?

?I know you did.? Qui-Gon handed him a cup of tea. ?Here, drink this.? He sipped from his own cup. ?The Council has a new mission for us.?

Obi-Wan let the warm tea soothe his scratchy throat. //Really?// His mouth was full of tea.

?Really.? Qui-Gon paused to sip at his tea, and then launched into a description of their newest mission. ?A group of people settled Ble?elb over 120 years ago. Shortly after their landing, the group split in two due to differences in the way they wanted to live. The group to become the Do?nop, wanted to live off the land, as a nomadic society, and have no contact with the rest of the galaxy. The Sho?cup also wanted to live off the land, but they wanted a more stable society and wanted to eventually open the world to galactic visitors, as a retreat. The two tribes split peaceably and have been living in peace for most of that time.

? Recently the Do?nop tribe tried to lay claim to the lands settled by the Sho?cup. There have been a few battles, but neither tribe really wants to go to war. So the Sho?cup called for independent mediation from the Jedi as a neutral party after their attempts at negotiation failed.

?We will have to leave in the morning. The tribes have called a temporary cease-fire, but we need to get there as soon as possible. We have to meet the transport early.? His padawan didn?t respond. ?Obi-Wan?? Still no answer. //Padawan?//

?Humph?? Obi-Wan?s eyes flew open. ?Sorry Master,? he grinned tiredly and shrugged. ?I guess I dozed off.?

Qui-Gon returned the grin. ?I was just going to suggest that you for the evening. Our ship leaves early, and you can rest aboard, but it is not a long journey.?

?Yes, Master.? Obi-Wan set his cup down on the table and

2. KADI-WAN_KENOBI

KADI-WAN_KENOBI Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 9, 2000
    Cool! Keep it up!

3. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    Good start! Any Obi-Torture on the way?

4. Obi the Kid

Obi the Kid Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    Excellent beginning....

5. LadyVorgunby

Sep 2, 2000
    Obi-Torture? Of course there is going to be Obi-Torture!!!

I live for angst!!

More tomorrow....

6. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Wonderful start Lady Vorgunby, I love the close relationship you've already laid out for us. Can't wait for more!!!

Post often, post soon.

7. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Ooooooooooh!
    I'm liking this very very much! That was a very excellent start. And the promise of Obi-torture to come... all I can say is ooh la la! :)
    I am very much looking forward to more! :)

8. Master_Tahl

Master_Tahl Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 10, 2000
    Great start, LadyV.
    Oh, Obi-Torture, hehe..

9. Eryce

Eryce Jedi Master star 2

Feb 29, 2000
    *pops into thread*

Did someone say Obi-torture? Bring it on!:)

10. Rosemary

Rosemary Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 20, 2000
    The ol' Obi totrute again huh?
    Well atleast give him some time to be happy
    before it begins! :)

11. padmemicheline

padmemicheline Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 28, 2000
    Great start! If there is gonna be Obi-Torture, I'm definatley gonna be reading this!

12. LadyVorgunby

Sep 2, 2000
    ohhh...I have readers!
    enjoy...
    The trip to Ble'elb had been short. It was only about 20 hours from departure on Coruscant to arrival on Ble'elb.

The Jedi left the transport and didn?t look back as it lifted off behind them. There were other Jedi aboard needing transport farther away than Ble?elb. Qui-Gon would send back to the Temple when their mission was completed.

Obi-Wan stretched in the chill winter air. Other than being just a little tired, he felt a lot better than he did a few days ago. He took a deep breath and coughed lightly as the dry chill bit into his lungs. Okay, so he wasn?t a hundred percent yet, and he still felt a little stuffy, but he wasn?t going to tell Qui-Gon that.

Ble?elb was a beautiful planet, like so many he had visited on missions with his master in the little over three years they had been together. The sky was a pinkish-gray, promising snow later in the evening. The meadow in front of the Jedi was still a bright, vibrant green, despite the season. Tall trees circled the meadow, spreading out to dense forest and then up into the purple mountains that loomed in the distance, and acted as the natural border between the Do?nop and the Sho?cup. There were tall evergreens mixed in with the bare trees that lost their leaves in the fall.

~ The fall here must have been spectacular ~ Obi-Wan thought, trying to picture it.

It was also a primitive world. Obi-Wan could see no permanent buildings as he and his master approached the outer tents of the settlement.

~ Oops, there?s one. ~ A small building in the center of camp marked the permanent home of the Sho?cup tribe. That small shack housed the communications equipment for the tribe. The Sho?cup, who would be hosting the negotiations, followed the food, but most of the people lived at what was considered their permanent home base. Only the hunters moved around.

The Do?nop, on the other hand, moved the entire society constantly, following the food around their lands. They had no permanent camp, although they knew where the food was most likely to be when.

Although the Sho'cup were hosting the negotiations, the talks actually took place in a tent set off from the Sho'cup camp. On both sides of the mountain range, each tribe maintained a neutral zone. The negotiation tent was set just inside the border to the neutral zone.

Obi-Wan drew his cloak tighter around himself as a cold wind whipped around the tents. Qui-Gon had explained that winter was just setting in, and so made for the perfect time for negotiation.

Neither tribe needed to be out hunting, as they were already well stocked for the season. Obi-Wan watched the guest tent being erected near the largest cluster of tents. He shivered as another gust blew and stirred the tail of his cloak about his calves.

Qui-Gon noticed the shiver this time, and gave his padawan a questioning glance.

//Another bad feeling, Padawan?//

//No, Master// Obi-Wan smiled. //Just cold.//

13. Jee-dai

Jee-dai Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 8, 2000
    That's a change- Obi shivering out of cold and not because of a bad feeling. :)

14. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Oh yay! I was hoping there would be a post! Thank you, that was great! :)
    I'm looking forward to more! :)

15. Tenel'Ka

Tenel'Ka Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 5, 2000
    Well, the name ca my eye so here I am.
    I am currently printing out what you have written in the story so far, so I can read it before bed, and can send it to my sister across the country, who has a cold.
    I'll tell you what I think later!
    MORE!!!

16. Kelly Kenobi

Kelly Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 23, 2000
    Yeehaa a new JA, and one off to such a great start!!! I know how Obi feels I have a bad cold myself and I had to go to a wedding this weekend and pretend I didn't feel like I wanted to curl up and die all weekend AAGGHH!!! Well this new JA is starting to make me feel a little better!

17. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    A wonderful play on the usual 'bad feeling'.
    Very imaginative.

18. Tenel'Ka

Apr 5, 2000
    More??? ;)

19. LadyVorgunby

Sep 2, 2000
    I will post more tomorrow. Darth Homework reared it's ugly head tonight. Professors of upper level classes like to make you work for your grades. But I will try to get something out tomorrow...

20. Tenel'Ka

Apr 5, 2000
    It's tomorrow! Where's my post? *looks around, not seeing one, bangs her head on her desk.*

21. Obi-wan's Padawan

Obi-wan's Padawan Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 11, 2000
    Great job so far, LadyV. I can't wait to read more!
    I know what you mean about professors of upper level classes. I've had some that seemed to think my life should revolve around their class. Good luck!

22. padmemicheline

padmemicheline Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 28, 2000
    I think I speak for everyone...but, when are you gonna post?!?

23. LadyVorgunby

Sep 2, 2000
    I'm gonna post....right now.
    Sorry for the wait, but its only 3 weeks into the semester, and I'm already swamped....

---------

The negotiations had been going on for almost a week. For the first few days, the Jedi were subjected to endless ceremonies to get the negotiations started. There was a ceremony for the Sho?cup, and then one for the Do?nop. Then there was the ceremony for all involved. Obi-Wan fell into exhausted slumber in the evenings following the ceremonies. Qui-Gon was concerned, but he buried his worry and focused on the talks ahead of him.

?That plan is foolish also, Tiel. It could get us all killed,? one of the elders protested.

There was a general murmur of agreement from the other elders. Tiel sat back, not saying anything now.

?The young one is like a son to the older no?? Greyna asked. There were nods around the circle. ?So,? Greyna continued, ?if we kidnapped the younger, surely the elder would be forced to negotiate to * our * demands. If he wants his son back.?

A positive wave of noise circled the tent.

?Hmmm,? Spou?cha said. ?That could work.? Spou?cha was the tribal elder, in a sense the chief. ?We must make the negotiations conclude with the terms in our favor. When can it be done??

Greyna answered ?Tonight. There is a storm coming into the neutral zone tonight. We can take him to our territory in the mountains.?

Spou?cha thought for just a moment. ?Do it,? he ordered. He rose, to head off to the days negotiations.

sorry it's so short, but at least it's here?

24. Jane Jinn

Jane Jinn Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 12, 2000
    All right! I just love it when Obi-Wan gets taken as a hostage!

Good luck in real life, and here's hoping you can post more soon!

25. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Yup, again I agree with Jane. I love when Obi's Jedi-knapped and Qui-Gon has to save him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.