main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Mirror's Other Side ANNOUNCEMENT - MAY 4, 2003

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Arwyn_Whitesun, Sep 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arwyn_Whitesun

Arwyn_Whitesun Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 2002
    TITLE: The Mirror's Other Side
    BY: Arywn Whitesun
    RATING: PG-13
    TIME: Obi-Wan is about 24 in both universes

NOTE: This is my first non-romance fic on this board, so hope you enjoy it. And, in case you're wondering, the idea for this fic did come from an old episode of Star Trek called "Mirror, Mirror." Using the proverbial writer's trick of what if I wondered, what if something similar were to happen in the Star Wars universe. Thus, this fic. :)

SUMMARY: As the result of an accident involving an experimental transport device, Obi-Wan finds himself in a parallel universe where everything is turned upside down. There are no Sith, but who needs the Sith when Jedi, such as Lord Jinn and Lord Windu, rule the galaxy as Dark Side Jedi. Not only must Obi-Wan survive this nightmarish upside-down universe he's found himself in, he must also struggle to find a way back to his own. Meanwhile, Obi-Wan's dark counterpart is wreaking havoc in the Star Wars universe of Light Side Jedi we all are familiar with.

DISCLAIMER: I do not own the characters created by George Lucas nor the Star Wars concept; Lucasfilm does. I am very respectfully borrowing them because I love the Star Wars universe. I have no intent to profit from them.

--------------

Obi-Wan watched as Qui-Gon and Rian Oladuanni walked around her latest invention. The two Jedi were on the planet Varonat, located just outside Republic space. Rian was an old friend of Qui-Gon's. He had met the Falleen scientist some years ago, long before he had taken Obi-Wan on as his apprentice.

Like all Falleens, Rian was tall and exotic looking. Her skin was a grayish-green and her long black hair was decorated with tiny multi-colored beads. She had the spinal ridge common to all Falleens, but in the females it was smaller. Obi-Wan wasn't quite sure how old she was since Falleens, on average, lived to be 250 standards, but she didn't look any older than him although he knew she and Qui-Gon had known each other a long time.

"And you're saying this device can convert matter into energy," Qui-Gon said.

Rian nodded eagerly as she gestured towards the machine. It looked fairly simple to Obi-Wan. A waist-high control panel and a circular metal platform about five feet wide. Rian pointed to the platform.

"Yes. I place an object on the platform. It's transmuted into energy. The energy packet is transferred to another platform using a carrier wave, and that platform reassembles the subject into its original form."

Qui-Gon stroked his beard, his blue eyes lighting up in the way Obi-Wan had learned over the years meant he was very intrigued.

"The implications for this device are staggering, Rian."

Rian smiled proudly, her black eyes shining. "Yes, they are. I've been working on it for years. It's only been in the last few months that I've finally been able to test it."

"Not on living subjects," Qui-Gon said quickly, his gaze piercing.

Rian laughed. "You know me better than that, Qui-Gon. Of course I haven't. Though I am eager to test it on a live subject at some point. If it's only used to transport material, however, that would still be a great leap forward. But if it could be used to transport living things..." Rian shrugged and smiled. "I'd be richer than---"

"You'd be richer than anyone has a right to be, Rian," Qui-Gon finished with a teasing smile.

Rian winked at him. If Obi-Wan hadn't known better, he would have thought Qui-Gon and Rian were more than just friends, but he knew they were not. Qui-Gon, like Obi-Wan, followed the guidelines of the Jedi Code regarding romantic relationships very strictly. No, Obi-Wan knew Qui-Gon enjoyed Rian's company because, like him, she was considered something of a rebel in the scientific community.

Her ideas were unorthodox and her methodology often unconventional. For that reason, she had taken the wealth she had inherited from her noble family and built this private lab on Varonat. Here she was free to invent, study and discover as she desired, without the Republic's Intergalactic Cons

2. CYNICAL21

CYNICAL21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    That is almost sinfully enticing, Arwyn - giving rise to all sorts of visions - none of which, I'm sure, will hold a candle to what you actually provide.

How do you guys do it? I must have the original one-track mind, as I find it almost impossible to work on more than one story at a time - and the rest of you seem to handle it as easily as walking and chewing gum at the same time.

I think I'm Jealous - and I know I'm interested. Keep it coming.

CYN

3. Psycho-Freak

Psycho-Freak Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 30, 2002
    Wonderful start Arwyn! I'm definitely sticking for this one.

Very interesting idea. No siths, only dark jedi. Hmmm...

It's only the fisrt post but I can't help to ask for more! :D

4. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Good Lord woman I agree with Cyn! How do you keep these stories straight in your head?If I tried it my little brain would explode! Very interesting idea and can't wait to see Obi-Wan around a Sithy Jinn! :D

5. Cascadia

Cascadia Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Sounds great, Arwyn. And we get two Obi's instead of one. :D

6. Knight-Ander

Knight-Ander Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    Oh, just great. You know what this means, don't you people?

A longer wait for the sequel to "First Knight." :p

Interesting concept, Arwyn.

7. astroanna

astroanna Jedi Master star 4

Jul 8, 2002
    Just to echo sentiments already expressed: How are you managing this multi-fic juggling act? Well, however you're doing it, it's working, because this one, like your others, looks to be a great one!

:)

8. Sugar_Bear

Sugar_Bear Jedi Master star 3

Dec 14, 2001

A terrific action packed premiere post, Arwyn! I'm excited about the fascinating duality premise and can't wait to read your interpretation of havoc-reeking Dark Obi.

Quirky images I just can't get out of my mind are the snazzy outfits the Star Trek crew morphed into in their "mirror" universe.

Forget the plain and stark Jedi robes, I'm just trying to picture Light Obi in Captain Kirk's torso exposing gold get-up. Yum!!!

9. yoda4982

yoda4982 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 10, 2002
    wow, a non-romatic story...Arwyn this is great i can't wait to see what happens. Already i am intreged(sp)

so you decided to fall to the world of two stories...welcome

hehehe

Yoda

10. Jedi_Borme

Jedi_Borme Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 17, 2000
    It's good so far. Can't wait to read more of it Arwyn.

11. Sabe126

Sabe126 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Very intriguing! Can't wait to find out what happens! :)

To quote 3P0, 'here we go again!' :)

Sabe126

12. TheFallen

TheFallen Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    The goodness from you will never cease. ;)

Or so I hope. :p

13. Arwyn_Whitesun

Jul 13, 2002
    I'll have a new post up today. Since this is an all new fic that I'm writing as I post, please bear with me. I'll try to post every day, but when I start on "Stars" it may be every other day. Also, please forgive any lapses in logic. Writing two stories at the same time will prove a challenge, but one I'm looking forward to. :) Thanks so much for responding. This is a fic I've been wanting to write for a very long time.

Cyn Thanks! Actually, this will be a first for me, because I usually only write one story at a time, but I'm trying to keep my mind off all the stuff I'm not allowed to eat, and writing seems to do that. It will be interesting for me to see if I can pull it off. :)

Pyscho Freak Thanks! Yep, no Sith. I'll get into the history of all that with later posts. As I'm posting this as I write, I just hope I can keep it all straight. But, after my experience with "First Knight," I've found I like posting as I write.

Obi Ew Well, it will be interesting to see if I can pull this off. :D You'll meet the Sithy Jinn in the next post.

Cascadia Hi and thanks! Yep, two Obi's for the price of one fic. ;)

Knight Ander Actually, I'm planning to start posting "Stars" fairly soon and see if I can write it along with this one and finish up my other fic I'm currently posting.

Astroanna Thanks! I hope it'll be a fun read. I've been thinking about this fic, seriously, for a year.

Sugar Bear Oh, yeah! Those were great costumes. :D Well, I'll see what I can come up with. I've been inundated with so many visions of Obi in leather, that I'm tempted to go that route. But, almost afraid it might be too predictable. But, leather is the ultimate bad boy style, don't you think? :)

Yoda Yep, a real honest-to-goodness non- romance. But, I'll be working on "Stars" soon I'll get my romance fix from that. :)

Jedi Borme Hi and thanks! I'll try to keep it up. :D

Sabe Thanks! Great quote. :D

The Fallen Thanks! I'll try to keep it coming.

14. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    A very intruiging beginning, Arwyn . I like it. I especially like the summary. :) - the sentence about Obi's darkcounterpart wrecking havoac....

Aunecah

15. Arwyn_Whitesun

Jul 13, 2002
    Aunnecah Thanks! I'll be moving back and forth between the two Obi's as the story goes along. I'll have a new post up shorty. :)

16. Tahiri

Tahiri Jedi Master star 4

Apr 9, 2001
    Ooh, very intruiging! I'd love to see all the troubles that Obi-Wan can get himself into in THIS situation ;) I'm not sure if you mentioned it, but how old is Obi?

17. sheleigh

sheleigh Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2002
    Oh wow! Arwyn, this is positively amazing!!

Obi-Wan... and Dark Obi-Wan? I just love the sound of that [face_devil]

Absolutely can not wait for more! :)

18. Arwyn_Whitesun

Jul 13, 2002
    Tahiri Thanks! I'll do my best to provide trouble for the dear padawan. Oh, as for his age, he's about the same age he was in Phantom Menance. I've been told that was 24, so I tend to go with that. :)

Sheliegh Hi and thanks! Yep, and a Dark Jinn and a Dark Yoda (yes, a dark Yoda!) and so on and so forth. Poor Qui-Gon will have his hands full dealing with the Dark Obi-Wan, I can promise you that. ;)

19. Sabe126

Sabe126 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Poor Qui-Gon will have his hands full dealing with the Dark Obi-Wan, I can promise you that

Can't wait for that! :)

Sabe126

20. Arwyn_Whitesun

Jul 13, 2002
    ----------------

Obi-Wan awoke slowly. He blinked his eyes, noting the light above him was harsh and bright. He closed them quickly, then took his time adjusting to the light. Once his eyes had adjusted, he looked around. He was lying in a bed in what looked like an infirmary room. He slowly sat up. He was dressed in an infirmary gown and, reaching up, felt a bacta bandage around his head.

He saw no sign of Qui-Gon or Rian. He tried to recall what had happened after the second explosion, but it must have knocked him out. Noting some soreness along his side, he wondered if he had broken some ribs in the blast. Then he watched as a young woman, apparently a nurse, opened the door to the room and entered it, closing it behind her.

"You're awake," she said, as she walked over to him. "That's good."

"Where am I?" Obi-Wan asked.

"In the infirmary," the woman said as she leaned over and checked his bandage.

"Yes, I can see that, but where am I? Am I still on Varonat?"

"Yes, of course," the woman said. She gave him a curious, but worried look. "Your head injury wasn't that severe. Are you suffering some kind of memory loss?"

Obi-Wan shook his head. "I don't know. I remember the men invading Rian's lab. The fight and the explosions." Then, recalling the explosions, Obi-Wan reached over and quickly grasped the woman's arm. "What about my master? Is he all right?"

The woman pulled her arm away. "You mustn't get yourself all worked up."

"But I need to know if he's all right. Please, tell me. Where is he? Is he here? Is he....dead?"

The woman's eyes widened and Obi-Wan saw something that looked like fear in them.

"Dead?" She laughed as if the idea was one she had considered, but had thought impossible. "No, not dead. He's gone to see the magistrate. He was quite....upset about what happened to you. Now, you must lie back and rest. We wouldn't want him to return and have him think we haven't been taking care of you."

Obi-Wan leaned back against the pillow. The nurse poured a red liquid from a bottle she was carrying into a plastic cup.

"What is that?" he asked, eyeing the cup.

But before she could answer, a loud voice boomed into the room from behind the closed door.

"You told me he'd be ready to leave today!" the voice roared.

"Yes, yes, I know, my Lord. But his injuries were more severe than we first realized. He really should rest one more day."

"He doesn't need to be coddled, you idiot! He needs to be healed. That's what you were supposed to do, wasn't it! What? Do you think I have nothing better to do but hang around this back-space, flyspeck of a planet. Now, get out of my way, before I snap your puny neck!"

Obi-Wan felt a tremor run down his neck, for the voice had sounded like Qui-Gon's. But his master would never speak to anyone in that enraged manner. It had to be someone else. He glanced over at the nurse. She was trembling, her light brown eyes staring at the closed door.

Actually, she was shaking so hard, the liquid was spilling out of the cup she was holding, the drops falling like blood onto Obi-Wan's sheets. He reached over to take her hand, but was surprised when she shrieked, drawing away as if she thought he was going to hit her.

Just then the door to the room slammed open. A tall, imposing figure entered. He had brown, shoulder-length hair, a neatly trimmed beard and mustache and piercing blue eyes. He was wearing a scarlet silk tunic, knee-length ebony leather tabards over it, black leather pants and sable knee-high boots. The tunic was cut so deep in the front that his broad, hairy chest was clearly visible.

An ornately decorated lightsaber was attached to a jewel studded, platinum belt around his waist. Obi-Wan noted there were other weapons on the belt; a curved dagger with a jeweled hilt and a Class IV blaster. As the man strode over to Obi-Wan's bed, he saw that it was Qui-Gon. But, he also saw with a chill, not Qui-Gon.

The nurse backed away a step as Qui-Gon approached. Now that he was nearer, Obi-Wan saw he had an old scar along his

21. jedi_bounty

jedi_bounty Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2002
    This is exciting. You know, you're good Arwyn, most stories don't have such a good start. :)

I can't wait to read more! Please post again soon since you saw fit to leave us with an evil cliff there.

22. Knight-Ander

Knight-Ander Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    Wow! That has got to be the shortest post I've ever seen written by you, Arwyn. :p

What an excellent and detailed discription of Lord Jinn, truely a person I would never want to meet in a dark alley.

Great job.

23. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    :eek: Wow! I think I like this Jinn better then the other one! :D

24. jedi_bounty

jedi_bounty Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2002
    Well, I just posted what I thought of the first post and you suprised me with another post! That was the best thing that's happened to me all day.

All I have to say about this post is, I think I like the good Qui-Gon better then the evil one and poor confused Obi-Wan.

It was a great post!

25. Sugar_Bear

Sugar_Bear Jedi Master star 3

Dec 14, 2001

Sensational post, Arwyn! What an absolutely terrific hair-raising, intimidating and blustering Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan has hooked up with.

It appears that our misplaced padawan has his work cut out for him, but I know that the real fun begins once personalities clash and push comes to shove between the mis-matched master and apprentice. Knowing our true blue Obi, he doesn't back down from a fight and sparks will fly!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.