main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Let Fate Decide: What If Anakin Was Not Freed After the Race? (AU Prequel) - Updated, FINALLY

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Quietman77, Sep 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quietman77

Quietman77 Jedi Master star 1

Jan 5, 2000
    Hey, everybody:

I don?t remember how many of you remember me, but I used to post here. I was very bad at finishing my stories, and pretty much let a well-received story die.

To anybody who used to read my stuff, I?m sorry about my poor record for posting in a timely manner. Without going into ugly detail, and I assure you that the details are ugly, Darth Real Life worked me over pretty badly, and for an awfully long time.

It seems that, for the time being at least, I?ve been able to fight DRL to a draw, and make up some serious ground on the SOB. Hopefully, the trend will continue.

Since the events portrayed in SW2: AOTC pretty much rendered a big chunk of my old story invalid (trust me on this one) I?ve decided to try something different.

I promise that I will try to do a better job with my posts. Instead of trying to write War and Peace length posts every time, I will try to post small entries on a more consistent basis.

Again, I?m sorry for my past performance, and I hope that you enjoy this new story. As always, I appreciate any and all constructive criticism.

Legal Disclaimer: All Star Wars characters, intellectual properties and such are the legal property of George Lucas and Lucas Arts. I own nothing, and I am earning no profit whatsoever from this story.

Rating: This story is at least PG-13 for violence, language, and adult themes.

Let Fate Decide ? What If Anakin Skywalker Had Not Been Freed From Slavery After the Boonta Eve Podrace? (AU / Prequel Trilogy)

?I wanna see your spaceship the moment the race is over,? Watto, the Toydarian salvage dealer, arrogantly told Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn.

?Patience, my blue friend,? Qui-Gon replied. If he felt any annoyance at Watto?s brashness, he did not show it in the slightest. ?You?ll have your winnings before the suns set, and we?ll be far away from here.?

?Not if your ship belongs to me, I think, huh?? Watto countered, almost cheerfully. More seriously, he added, ?I warn you, no funny business.?

?You don?t think Anakin can win?? Qui-Gon asked. Though it seemed an offhand remark, there was a definite shade of deadly seriousness in his voice.

That?s what Jar-Jar Binks believed he?d heard. The Gungan followed a pace or so behind Qui-Gon, the human to whom he owed a life debt. Jar-Jar had his share of faults, more than his share, but he was no fool. This curious human, to whom his life was now bound, was as deep and subtle as the seas of his homeworld. It seemed that everything he said and did had a purpose of some sort.

?Don?t get me wrong. Oh, I have great faith in the boy. He?s a credit to your race.? It was true enough. Another time, before a different podrace, Watto might have even backed Anakin with a healthy wager.

?But, uh, Sebulba there is going to win, I think.? The Toydarian motioned towards a nearby staging area.

?Oh, no!? Jar-Jar was terrified. Sitting only a few meters away was Sebulba, the powerfully built Dug who, only a day earlier, had been a few seconds away from (as Anakin had so eloquently remarked) turning poor Jar-Jar into orange goo.

Yes, Jar-Jar was terrified. Fortunately, the Gungan had two factors working in his favor. The first was that Qui-Gon Jinn, an armed Jedi Master, was standing between him and the Dug. The second was the fact that Sebulba was being pampered by two lovely Twi?Lek women, and could not have cared any less about the Gungan?s presence.

?Why do you think that?? Qui-Gon asked, with that same deadly seriousness.

?He always wins!? Watto said, laughing. ?I?m betting heavily on Sebulba!?

?I?ll take that bet,? Qui-Gon said after a second?s pause.

?You?ll WHAT?!?? For the first time, Watto?s composure evaporated. He spat the words with genuine rage.

Qui-Gon Jinn?s deepest suspicions were instantly confirmed. Watto probably had little knowledge of the Force, and no knowledge at all of midichlorian counts. But, the Toydarian certainly knew that the boy was far more than merely a ??credit to his race??

Qui-Gon would have to pic

2. Alderaan21

Alderaan21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 1998
    You were the one who wrote the AU ANH with Anakin, right? I enjoyed that.

I don't think I've seen this particular AU premise before. I'm looking forward to seeing how it unfolds, especially once it starts deviating a little more from the TPM plotline. :)

3. Jauhzmynn

Jauhzmynn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    oooo Boy! Post more please. :-D THis is cool. Maybe this minor change in the story can make sure Vader never shows up and ANikan stays the loving person he is. Losing Mom made 'em get nasty fast.

Sounds very good to me.

Jauhzmynn

4. Quietman77

Jan 5, 2000
    ?AAAAAHHHHH!!! POODOO!!!?

Sebulba?s race pod, or rather what was left of it, had finally come to a stop. Only a few seconds had passed since the Skywalker boy had outmaneuvered him. Their two pods had been tangled together during home stretch of the final lap. Sebulba had been supremely confident that he would force Skywalker?s much smaller, much lighter machine into the ground, and cruise to yet another victory.

Perhaps he?d been too confident. The boy?s breakaway maneuver had been superb. Not only did Skywalker manage to free himself, but he also caused the Dug?s power coupling to fail. Sebulba?s pod tore itself apart; it?s massive turbine engines crashed into the hard desert surface and disintegrated in two spectacular fireballs.

With what little control he had left, Sebulba managed to coax his pod into a more-or-less soft landing. And now, there was little else to do but watch Skywalker race unopposed into the stadium.

Things would be different now, Sebulba realized. The boy may be slave scum, but he was slave scum that had just won the year?s biggest race. Worse, he?d won the year?s biggest race by wrecking the defending champion?s pod.

From this day forward, he would have sponsors, perhaps even Hutt sponsors. Gamblers would now take him seriously. Anakin Skywalker was no longer just a human slave who sometimes raced pods. He was now a PODRACER.

That distinction changed everything. For Sebulba to exact revenge, and he WOULD exact revenge, he would have to do it on the track.

|<>|<>|<>|<>|<>|<>|<>|<>|<>|<>|

?He did it,? Padme Naberrie whispered. A whisper was all she could manage.

She was both shocked and confused by the intensity of her emotions. Certainly, the relief she felt was overwhelming. She was relieved that her ship would not be lost on the dangerous wager that Qui-Gon Jinn had arranged. She was relieved that the same wager would now yield a working hyperdrive, and that she would now be able to complete her mission to Coruscant.

She was relieved for Anakin?s sake. Though she?d always understood, on some intellectual level, the danger that the boy was facing, it wasn?t until the race?s first crash that she fully appreciated what the strange, brave, wonderful little boy was risking on their behalf.

On THEIR behalf? Ask the real question, Padme. Would Ani have been so quick to volunteer for this race if he didn?t have a schoolboy crush on me? If he?d been killed?

But he wasn?t killed. He?d not only survived the race, he?d won it. That was the most overwhelming emotion of all; Padme felt a wave of shear joy. In spite of the fact that she barely knew them, she now considered both Anakin and Shmi Skywalker to be dear friends. And her dear friends had reason to celebrate.

However much she may hate Anakin?s very dangerous pastime, Shmi was, at the moment, smiling radiantly. Tens of thousands of spectators were cheering for the boy; on any other day, he might be a slave, but today, now, he was a hero. Jar-Jar Binks pumped his fists and yelled enthusiastically. Everyone, it seemed was caught up in the excitement of Ani?s triumph.

Correction, not everyone was happy. Padme glanced over her shoulder towards Qui-Gon Jinn. The Jedi Master should, by all rights, be the happiest one of them all. His risky plan had succeeded beyond all reasonable expectation. And yet, the Jedi Master had such a solemn look on his face, it was as if he?d somehow lost. What could possibly be wrong?

What did you do, Jedi? Did you make yet another plan without consulting us, without consulting me?

?What?s wrong?? Padme asked Qui-Gon. ?We did win, didn?t we??

?Oh, certainly, Handmaiden,? Qui-Gon replied, almost sadly. ?We?ll be on our way to Coruscant in a matter of hours.?

?You don?t seem very happy,? Padme said.

?Don?t be silly, my young friend,? Qui-Gon said. ?Nothing negative resulted from this race, at least not from our perspective. Even the Skywalkers benefited, and in ways they aren?t yet aware of. I have every reason to be happy.?

?And yet?? Padme ventur

5. Knight-Ander

Knight-Ander Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    This is really interesting. I like Qui-Gon's cryptic Sabacc comment to Jar-Jar. :D I hope you do finish this, because it's got a great start.

6. Dally

Dally Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    Very well-written. I hope you continue this! It's very moody and somber, and Qui-Gon's debate with himself over whether or not to manipulate the events was very convincing. Excellent start.

7. Quietman77

Jan 5, 2000
    Obi-Wan Kenobi couldn?t help but feel a glint of amusement. So short a time earlier, when Qui-Gon, Padme, Jar-Jar, and Artoo set out to locate a replacement hyperdrive generator, they?d had no transportation, no leads, no local currency. In summary, they?d had no tangible resources of any kind.

And now, they were returning to the ship, riding a pair of the desert beasts of burden known as eopies, towing a working hyperdrive. Granted, the two Jedi had gotten out of worse circumstances before, but Obi-Wan was still a bit amazed that Master Jinn?s plan had worked so well, and so quickly.

To Obi-Wan?s mild surprise, Qui-Gon and Padme both seemed oddly subdued. As they unloaded their gear from the eopies, they scarcely spoke.

?Begin installing the hyperdrive,? Qui-Gon said softly. ?I have a few errands to complete. I should return well before sunset.?

?Why do I have the feeling that we?ve picked up another pathetic life form?? Obi-Wan asked, with a bit of a smirk. Judging by Qui-Gon?s stern expression, he immediately realized that he?d said something very, very inappropriate.

?We haven?t picked up anyone, Padawan,? Qui-Gon answered. ?Nevertheless, I have a debt to repay to the family that helped us acquire our new stardrive.?

?A debt, Master?? Obi-Wan asked.

?The boy was nearly killed winning us these components,? Qui-Gon scolded. ?His mother watched her only child narrowly avoid getting killed while winning us these components. Yes, I?d say that qualifies as a debt.?

?My apologies, Master,? Obi-Wan answered. He honestly hadn?t considered how much these strangers had risked to help them, and that revelation made him feel ashamed. ?I didn?t mean??

?I know,? Qui-Gon cut him off. ?I know. Nevertheless, you should take this as a lesson.? The Jedi Master was about to say more, but he stopped himself; it wasn?t necessary to say any more. Obi-Wan frequently displayed bouts of insensitivity, but he nevertheless possessed inherent wisdom and morality. All that was usually needed was a gentle push, and the young man would correct his own errors.

?If nothing else, I need to return these beasts,? Qui-Gon gestured toward the two eopies. ?Otherwise, we?d have to take them with us. One of us would have to feed them, groom them, clean up after them. Take a guess who?d be assigned those duties,? he added with a smile.

?Rank has its privileges,? Obi-Wan agreed. Qui-Gon?s joke was a small one, but Obi-Wan was nevertheless grateful for the little bit of humor. Something was clearly troubling his master, some form of regret.

No, not regret, Obi-Wan realized. Not regret.

Guilt.

Many kilometers from the Nubian ship, a solitary figure paced back-and-forth at the edge of a shear cliff.

Darth Maul was not happy. In truth, Darth Maul was rarely ever happy, but this time his irritation stemmed from boredom.

A short time earlier, one of his tiny, inconspicuous, probe droids reported a probable contact with the older of the two Jedi Knights. Maul had, briefly, been excited at the prospect of a one-on-one dual. Though he was confident that he could defeat both Jedi simultaneously, Maul was a realist. Anytime ones enemies could be isolated and destroyed individually, such an opportunity should be exploited.

Maul?s anticipation evaporated a short time later, when his ?probable? re-entered the Mos Espa stadium, and the droid lost contact. Now, there was little else to do except wait for his probes to relocate either the Jedi, or their ship.

Maul hated this waiting. Ironic, considering that the Sith Lords? plans required patience lasting, literally, scores of generations. Somehow, Maul could tolerate waiting years, or even decades, in order to carry his master?s plans through to fruition. However, the extra few hours required to hunt his prey were driving him to distraction.

Perhaps, it was this planet. Approaching from space, Tatooine appeared to be little more than a useless, desert rock. Upon closer inspection, Tatooine appeared to be little more than a useless,

8. Daath666

Daath666 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 25, 2001
    hey i remember you...too bad you didn't finish that ANH AU...i liked it very much...*sobs*

okies, i'll start to read this now...

EDIT: i'll definitely lurk on this one...and comment now and then ;)

9. Knight-Ander

Jul 19, 2002
    Jedi, I swear that I?ll eviscerate you, for no other reason than because you made me come here. [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Nice post, Quietman.

10. Lady_Moonbeam

Lady_Moonbeam Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 4, 2002
    I agree, I've never seen an AU with this premise. So far, it's really interesting--and a definite read for me! I'll be sticking around.

11. Dally

Dally Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    Good story! It will be interesting to see where this goes.

12. Quietman77

Jan 5, 2000
    From the moment he?d won the Boonta Eve Race, Anakin Skywalker had been riding a series of emotional peaks and valleys.

The moment that he crossed the finish line was one of the most vivid instances of shear joy that he?d ever known. He savored that joy for nearly an hour, right up until he realized that he?d enabled his newfound friends to leave Tatooine, almost certainly forever.

That revelation was a painful one. Qui-Gon, Jar-Jar, Artoo, Padme, in an impossibly short time, they?d become more important to him than he could have ever imagined. Especially Padme. She was so beautiful, so kind, so? angelic. Was that a word, angelic?

The idea of her leaving forever was unthinkable, and yet he had no choice but to think about it. She was gone now, and that was that. Or was it? Anakin had a feeling, one of his special feelings that concerned his mother so much, that they?d be together again somehow, someday.

Nevertheless, today, right now, it was painful.

Another set of peaks and valleys involved his podracer. He?d known that Watto would never let him keep his beautiful podracer. Watto never let him keep anything of value. That was why it had taken so long to build, one discreetly acquired component at a time. He?d only been able to race it in the first place because Qui-Gon told Watto that he was the pod?s owner.

No, there was no way that Anakin could keep the podracer. There was no excuse, no pretext that he or Qui-Gon could possibly tell Watto that would result in his keeping it for his own. The best they could do would be to sell the pod behind Watto?s back. After pouring so much time, effort, sweat, tears, and, on occasion, blood into that racer, it hurt seeing it go.

Upon returning from his ship, after delivering the new hyperdrive, Qui-Gon was able to find a solution that, to some degree at least, made it all better. The Jedi Master sold the pod to, of all people, Sebulba. Seeing the much-despised Dug swallow his pride, and pay very handsomely for the best racepod available, knowing full well who it?s builder was, was very sweet. It was definitely a case of a peak rising up from a valley.

The day wasn?t over yet.

As Anakin and Qui-Gon entered the Skywalker home, the Jedi handed the boy the rather large stack of coins that Sebulba paid for the racer. It seemed right that the boy should be the one to give his mother this gift.

?Mom, Mom!? Anakin was just so excited. Oddly, Qui-Gon seemed quite glum. ?Look, Mom, we sold the pod!? Anakin poured the coins out so quickly that Shmi barely had time enough to cup her palms together to catch them.

?That?s wonderful!? Shmi was delighted. She wasn?t a greedy woman in the least, but anything that she could use to make her son?s life more comfortable was treasured.

?There?s something else,? Qui-Gon Jinn began. This was going to be even more difficult than he?d imagined. Even his specific words would have to be chosen with extreme care. It would be a sin to, for even an instant, give the boy false hope of freedom.

?As you know,? Qui-Gon continued. ?Watto and I had an arrangement. When Anakin won the race, we won a hyperdrive for our ship.? This was ridiculous. Of course they knew all of this. The two Skywalkers came up with the plan in the first place. He was waffling.

?Our wager had another term, one which you weren?t aware of,? the Jedi Master said. ?Shmi, you?ve been freed.?

?What?? Anakin and Shmi said in unison.

?Because Anakin won the race, you?ve been freed, Shmi,? Qui-Gon concluded.

?Mom, did you hear that? You?re free!? This was absolutely the best moment of Anakin Skywalker?s life. Crossing the finish line was now barely a distant memory. Without any hesitation, he jumped into his mother?s arms and hugged her furiously.

?What about Ani?? Shmi asked.

?I?m sorry,? Qui-Gon said. ?Watto wouldn?t have it.? He was about to say, ?I did the best I could,? but he resisted the urge. It would have been a lie.

?But that?s not right,? Shmi said. ?It?s not right! He should be freed, not me!?

?But Mom??

?Please, Shmi??

?

13. Darth_Silenous

Darth_Silenous Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 2002
    Fascinating premise, Quietman. You characterize marvelously. I'll definitely be reading...

14. Knight-Ander

Jul 19, 2002
    Keep it UP, Q.

15. KatarnLead

KatarnLead Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 5, 2002
    Wow!

Definately never seen anything like this before...me like! This is great, waiting like anything for when we start seeing the big changes from TPM...

Good job!

16. Dally

Dally Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    Wow. Very well-written! Please continue.

17. Quietman77

Jan 5, 2000
    In the days of the Old Republic, the fundamental essence of Tatooine could be summarized as follows:

The planet had no central government.

The planet had no regional governments.

The planet had no law enforcement agencies of any kind. This was just as well, because?

The planet had no laws, nor legal structure of any kind.

The planet had no commercial or economic ties to the Republic, the Trade Federation, the Commerce Guild, or to any other entity. All ?trade? between Tatooine and the outside universe was conducted by rough barter or via smuggling.

?Order? was ?maintained? (if indeed such terms were appropriate) primarily by organized crime organizations, particularly those headed by Hutt gangsters.

In short, Tatooine was a planet of anarchy. In spite of all this?

Tatooine had a highly organized, centralized, technologically sophisticated, planet-wide infrastructure dedicated to maintaining its slave trade.

When so-called Slaver Technology, including surgically implanted explosive devices (a.k.a. Electronic Leashes), vital-sign-monitoring command detonators (a.k.a. Deadman Switches), similar to the device worn by Watto, and fixed communication beacons (a.k.a. Electronic Perimeters) migrated to the Outer Rim, the more ambitious, less conscientious of the planet?s dwellers practically salivated. (In the case of most Hutts, actual saliva was involved.) In less than two hours, any person could be kidnapped, implanted with an Electronic Leash, and forevermore transformed into an obedient slave.

Slaver Technology was even more efficient with subsequent generations. A slave?s newborn child could just as easily be fitted with an Electronic Leash. Unlike their parents, newborn infants could not resist their captors; nothing could be easier. Anakin Skywalker was just one of many children born into slavery, and one of many who seem destined to die within slavery.

Unlike most of those enslaved throughout galactic history, a slave controlled by this technology was ?low maintenance?. It was not necessary for a slave owner to hire a team of overseers. It was not necessary for a slave owner to provide prison-like quarters. It was not necessary for a slave owner to defend him- or herself from a potential slave revolt, nor was it even necessary to feed the slaves. The slaves could, in fact, be turned loose most of the time. Slaver Technology seemed, at first glance, to be perfect.

Nevertheless, unforeseen problems developed almost immediately.

The first difficulty arose with the Electronic Perimeters used to control slave movements. Initially, every slave owner needed to purchase and maintain his- or her own perimeter. The perimeter could consist of nothing more than the Deadman Switch worn on the slave owner?s body, or a single fixed beacon in the center of the slave owner?s property. This limited the slaves? usefulness, for they were forced to remain very close to home. Furthermore, such systems were fragile. More than one poor, unfortunate slave owner became bankrupt when simple transmitter malfunctions instantly killed every slave on the property.

In short order, a few ambitious entrepreneurs took it upon themselves to find a solution. For a reasonable fee, they would establish and maintain whole networks of transmitters. The slave owners were all too happy to buy into these services. Within a few decades, the entire planet was sown with an integrated, well-maintained grid of Electronic Perimeters.

Additionally, there was the matter of the Electronic Leashes. At first, these devices were designed to be permanent; they could never be neutralized or removed. After all, who, in their right mind would ever want to free a slave?

Surprisingly, this turned out to be a very bad design. Electronic Leashes, like all other devices, sometimes malfunctioned and required maintenance. Unfortunately (for everybody involved) a permanent Electronic Leash could not be removed or replaced without killing the slave. More than one poor, unfortunate slave owner was force to sit by helplessly as a malfunctionin

18. Darth_Silenous

Darth_Silenous Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 2002
    Wow! That was really, really fascinating. The details you provided about the Leashing procedure made the weight of Anakin's slavery suddenly hit home, and in a very sobering way. Very heartbreaking...excellent work. I'm intrigued by this premise of yours. :)

19. Knight-Ander

Jul 19, 2002
    Wow! That last post was an entire story unto itself!

Excellent job, Q.

20. Quietman77

Jan 5, 2000
    Ulbaj To?aba, true to his word, allowed Qui-Gon Jinn to stand by Shmi?s side, as the Electronic Leash was surgically removed from her body. To?aba?s medical droid, old as it was, did the job properly, and Shmi was able to walk out of the building with only minor soreness.

?If you don?t mind, I?d like to inoculate you with a broad-spectrum antibiotic,? Qui-Gon told her. ?I don?t entirely trust these facilities.? Shmi simply nodded.

Although Qui-Gon was honestly worried about a possible post-operative infection, he had a second agenda. As he?d done earlier with Anakin, Qui-Gon took a blood sample from Shmi. Though her midichlorian count was probably not important, he wanted to know it anyway.

?Ani, how much did you see?? Shmi asked her son.

?A lot, Mom,? Anakin answered.

?Do you think you can operate one of those machines yourself?? She asked. The excitement in her voice was unmistakable.

?Not right away, but I think I know what to look for next time,? Anakin said.

?Shmi, let me take Ani back in. That slaver thinks his droids can protect him from me, but they can?t. I can make him free Ani,? Qui-Gon said.

?You?re not allowed to do that, are you? The other Jedi would punish you, wouldn?t they?? Shmi asked. Surprisingly, she did not seem dejected.

?It doesn?t matter?? Qui-Gon began.

?Yes it does,? Shmi countered. ?It does matter, and, besides, I couldn?t allow it anyway. Slavekeepers and their equipment are untouchable. Even if you succeed, many, many other slaves would pay the price for Ani?s freedom.

?Besides, I owe you an apology,? Shmi continued. ?I treated you horribly. You?ve given this family a chance that we never could have hoped for, and I threw it back in your face. I?m so sorry. I hope you can forgive me.?

?There?s nothing to forgive, Shmi,? Qui-Gon said. ?I could have done more for Ani. I should have done more for Ani.?

?It?s alright,? Shmi said. ?In the end, everything will be fine. I can feel it. My son WILL be free. It may take a little longer, but he will be free.?

?I pray that you?re right, Shmi,? Qui-Gon said.

?I am,? Shmi declared. ?I am.?

?Mom, what?s it feel like?? Anakin asked.

?It feels? the air smells fresher, and the sunshine seems a little brighter. You?ll understand what I mean after we free you. And we will free you, Ani. Don?t ever doubt that.?

?I won?t, Mom.?

Qui-Gon Jinn relaxed himself, searching his feelings, trying to find any clue from the Force as to what the future held. Shmi was correct in that this path was the best possible one. And yet, Anakin?s future was just so clouded.

Why was it clouded? The life choices the boy would make would somehow be profound. Would there be any way to help the boy make the right ones?

Less than an hour later, Qui-Gon Jinn left Mos Espa, jogging swiftly through the desert. Such a sight was unmistakably obvious to the small Sith probe droid flying high overhead.

Darth Maul held his excitement in check just long enough to send the droid on a quick sweep, extrapolating the running man?s course through the desert. Sure enough, the probe located the Nubian starship, parked conveniently in an isolated area, far away from any possible assistance from the city.

Time to thin the herd, the Sith Lord thought. How nice of the Jedi to separate themselves once again. It made the hunt so much easier.

Maul climbed on board his speederbike, and set a straight-line course for Qui-Gon Jinn. With any luck, the Jedi fool would never even get a glance at his killer.

21. Padawan_Laurianna

Padawan_Laurianna Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 17, 2002
    WOW! Great Story, great premise, no time for real feedback, but I am entranced. Keep it up! Knight-Ander recommended this one, and I'm glad I took his advice. Excellent descriptions of the releasing of Shmi and all the technology surrounding that businessman involved. I also enjoyed Qui-Gon's debat within himself about the chance cube.

Very nice. Post more soon.

:D L

22. aninonymous

aninonymous Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2000
    Great story. :D
    I like the idea of Qui-Gon leaving it up to the force. It seems like the Jedi thing to do.

But if they leave Shmi on Tatooine, wouldn´t it be possible for someone to kidnap her and make her a slave again?
    I know they can´t reactivate the old thingy, but what´s to stop someone from implanting a new one.

23. Dally

Dally Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    Intriguing! I hope that Shmi is right about Ani!

24. Quietman77

Jan 5, 2000
    Thanks everybody. I?m very glad that you like the story so far.

I?d also like to say thanks for allowing me become self-indulgent with that ?Slaver Technology? post. The truth is, I frequently become self-indulgent where future-tech is concerned, and one of these days, I?m going to get burned by it. Hopefully, that day won?t come for a long time :)

Just so you know, the basic theme behind this story is that, had Anakin not been freed at the race?s end, things generally would have worked out for the better, but that it wouldn?t necessarily be obvious at the time. Does that make any sense?

Dally:
    Oh, I?m absolutely going to have Anakin freed. I don?t have much of a choice; he?d be a pretty boring character if I didn?t :)

Just as a heads-up, I?m going to put that on the back burner for a while. I have to wrap up an Anakin-less Phantom Menace, and that?s going to take a few posts.

Aninonymous:
    The only thing stopping Shmi from being re-enslaved is Shmi herself. Her situation is exactly the same as anybody else?s on Tatooine, and that?s simply the logical conclusion of the whole slavery premise established in TPM.

In fact, that was something that I found both intriguing and disturbing about the movie. I?m sure that we weren?t supposed to dwell on the slavery aspect, but I couldn?t help but think that most of the population on Tatooine must live in fear that someday, somebody was going to detain them for an hour, and electronically enslave them.

Alderaan21, Jauhzmynn, Knight-Ander, Daath, Lady Moonbeam, Darth Silenous, KatarnLead, Padawan Laurianna:

Thank you all, as well, for your continued support.

25. jedi7

jedi7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2002
    Great story, I'm glad I found it. 7

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.