main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FIC: For Reasons Unknown (JA-angst)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Obi the Kid, Oct 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi the Kid

Obi the Kid Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2000
    TITLE: For Reasons Unknown
    AUTHOR: Obi the Kid
    E-MAIL: hlnkid@aol.com
    RATING: PG
    SUMMARY: Pre-TPM, non-slash. (Obi-Wan is 16) Obi-Wan finds out that a close friend of his has become a casualty of war.
    ARCHIVE: Please ask first.
    MY WEBSITE: http://www.angelfire.com/movies/obithekid/
    DISCLAIMER: The characters and venue of Star Wars are copyrighted to Lucas Films Limited. The characters not recognizable from this venue are copyrighted to Tracy C. Knight. The story is the intellectual property of Tracy C. Knight and is copyrighted to her. She makes no profit from the writing or distribution of this story.

====================
    For Reasons Unknown
    ====================

Qui-Gon Jinn approached his apprentice. Since the end of the last mission the boy had been extremely quiet. To quiet. The mission had been routine. A simple peace treaty. Nothing that might cause unsettled feelings in either Jedi. Yet, Obi-Wan was different. He sat alone on the couch, staring absently at the images flashing on the monitor in front of him. If he sensed his master approaching, the awareness did not show.

The soft cushions sagged slightly as Qui-Gon settled onto the couch. He placed a hand on the knee of his slumped padawan.

"Obi-Wan? There is something troubling you. Would you care to talk about it?"

A short, sorrowful glace into Qui-Gon's eyes and the young Jedi turned quickly away. He shrugged his shoulders and returned his attention to the holo-monitor.

"Padawan?"

"It's nothing, Master," he replied without taking his eyes from the screen.

"Obi-Wan, you've been brooding around this apartment for the last two days. There is something. I can sense that much from you."

But he refused to take his attention away from the screen.

Then for the first time Qui-Gon looked to see what was playing on the monitor. The news network was giving updates on the latest casualties and fatalities in the war on the planet of Gana. Seven months ago, the Jedi had been called in to help as peacemakers in the war. It was a war that could affect the entire balance of the galaxy if not stopped. In the process of attempting to negotiate peace, several Jedi had been killed. The most current list of names of the injured and dead was now displayed on the monitor. Qui-Gon watched closely and there he saw it. The name J'cek Veras. The master's heart dropped. Padawan J'cek Veras was a good friend to Obi-Wan. They'd only known each other a year, but J'cek was always able to bring a smile to Obi-Wan's face. It was a change that Qui-Gon was delighted to see, as he knew his apprentice was many times much to serious about things. He worked so hard at being a Jedi, that he occasionally forgot how to enjoy life. In the past year, J'cek had helped to change that. He and Obi-Wan had become close friends and spent much of their free time in friendly competition.

J'cek and his master, Damar Keller, had been one of the first master-padawan teams dispersed to Gana. Master Keller, well known for his abilities in negotiation, was an obvious choice to send. His apprentice, even at his young age, was quickly learning the trait from his teacher, and had become a most capable negotiator of his own.

Padawan J'cek Veras was now a casualty of war. His name hovered on the screen for a moment. Killed two days ago. Dead at the age of fifteen.

Qui-Gon turned back to his apprentice. "Obi-Wan. I'm so sorry. Why didn't you tell me?"

The sixteen-year-old boy shrugged again. "I don't know. Maybe because I don't want to believe it? Maybe if I keep repeating that it's not true, then it will all turn out to be a bad dream. He's not dead. He can't be dead. I just talked to him a week ago. No, he's not dead. I will not believe it. He's not dead, Master."

"Obi-Wan..." Qui-Gon tried to offer comfort. He placed a hand on Obi-Wan's shoulder and spoke softly to him. But the boy pulled away. He didn't want empty words of pity. He wanted his friend, alive and by his side

2. CYNICAL21

CYNICAL21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    OH, Obi - this is quite lovely. YOu managed to capture all the confusion and hurt and uncertainty that goes into such a loss - and the anger, as well, which is a natural part of the grieving process.

Painting the Jedi as human - and caring - and not soulless or heartless or perfect. Very, very good.

CYN

3. sheleigh

sheleigh Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2002
    Oh... OTK that was wonderful, as always.

Poor Obi-Wan... loosing a friend... yet there was a happy ending... in a way. :)

Absolutely wonderful!

4. Cascadia

Cascadia Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    That was wonderful, Obi. You showed the denial everyone faces when losing a loved one, and the heart-breaking reality that it is real and that the outcome will never change.

Almost makes me want to cry. :(

Now I need one of your humor fics to cheer me up. But - despite what I said - please write more like this too. :)

5. Jedi_Suzuran

Jedi_Suzuran Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2002
    That was wonderful, Obi.

You really showed the confusion, anger and despair that comes with grief.

Well done.

6. Obi the Kid

Apr 13, 2000
    Thanks guys!!! I was hoping to get the emotions right. The anger, confusion, etc. I think it worked out okay. Thanks so much for reading!!! Dont worry...my next story will be a humor story! :D

Thanks!
    Obi

7. Renton Kenobi

Renton Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2000
    *Lip quivers* :_|

8. obi-wannabe_1138

obi-wannabe_1138 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 31, 2002
    Wow, amazing portrayal of such a heartbreaking event OTK! Loved it!

9. Master_Comedy_Kitty

Master_Comedy_Kitty Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2002
    Oh Obi! That was so great...so...perfect. Great job. :)

10. Obi the Kid

Apr 13, 2000
    Thanks everyone. I guess I forgot the tissue warning again. I always forget that. Thanks for the comments!

Obi

11. Obi the Kid

Apr 13, 2000
  12. Obi the Kid

Apr 13, 2000
    Up we go!

13. Obi the Kid

Apr 13, 2000
  14. Obi the Kid

Apr 13, 2000
    up one last timeeeeeee!

15. TheSwedishJedi

TheSwedishJedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 15, 2001
    Yikes, I almost missed this one. That wouldn't do.

Very good, Obi. Bittersweet. And I kinda like the fact that you didn't give a reason for J'cek, like saving a group of people or such. Makes it more like life. That things just happen and that sometimes there really is no reason for it. It's sad and unfair but then no one ever said life was fair.

Again, good job. :)

~Swede :p

16. Obi the Kid

Apr 13, 2000
    Hey Swede! You know, I never really thought about things that way...at least I didnt when I wrote this. He was just a person doing the job he was asked to do.

Thanks for the great comments. You really got me thinking!

Obi

17. TheSwedishJedi

TheSwedishJedi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 15, 2001
    Oh great. Is that a good thing? ;)

18. Obi the Kid

Apr 13, 2000
    hehe! Yup, it's a very good thing!

Obi

19. Ginger_Jedi

Ginger_Jedi Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    UP!!!!

Great OTK. I liked how you made them both doubtful about the Force - made for interesting reading :)

20. Obi the Kid

Apr 13, 2000
    Hi Ginger! I was actually gonna expand on that a bit more, but in the end I decided against it. Kinda glad I kept it as is.

Thanks for reading!

Obi

21. Renton Kenobi

Renton Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2000
    Bravo Obi Bravo

22. Arwyn_Whitesun

Arwyn_Whitesun Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 2002
    I had been meaning to read this when I first saw it posted, but I'm here now. :) Thanks for writing such a lovely story. The first SW fanfics I read were JA fics, so I love reading any stories about Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan that deal with their relationship as one of warmth and friendship.

A touching look into the hearts of the Jedi. They may have all these wonderful and awe-inspiring powers, but they are still sentient beings who can look into the face of tragedy and ask that proverbial, but heartbreaking question. Why? Again, thanks for writing this. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.