main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

After Naboo - AU Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon. Prequel to 'Duty. Completed 15 Nov

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Sabe126, Oct 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sabe126

Sabe126 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Title ? After Naboo
    Rating ? PG13
    Category ? Alternate Universe.
    Spoilers: Major spoilers for The Phantom Menace.

Summary - Set after The Phantom Menace. Qui-Gon Jinn has survived and finds himself with a new apprentice, who?s own Master disappeared around the time of the Battle of Naboo.

Prequel to Duty - ?Anakin, don?t let your personal feelings get in the way!? Obi-Wan knew how much effort it had taken Anakin to turn his back on someone for his duty to the Jedi Order. When he himself had had to do this, those words had not come from his Master, nor from a comrade but from the woman he had loved.

After a near fatal attack, Queen Amidala of the Naboo finds herself with a new handmaiden, a Jedi. Who together with her Master?s former Padawan, Obi-Wan Kenobi, are drawn down a path of destiny and duty.

Disclaimer - The Star Wars universe, characters, etc belong to George Lucas and Lucas Film Ltd. The quotes from the Star Wars films belong to Lucas Film Ltd and their respective scriptwriters. Moulin Rouge belongs to Baz Luhrmann and Fox. The quotes from various songs belong to the writers. These will be listed in the relevant sections. As will the quotes from other fan fics. The character of Mia belongs to me. This story is for entertainment only and no profit is being made. No copyright infringement is intended.

Prologue

He was falling. As he slammed onto the walkway he just managed to stop himself from falling further. Looking up he saw Qui-Gon on the level above, facing the Sith, alone. Calling on the force he leapt to the next level ignited his lightsaber and charged down the walkway to rejoin the battle.

He was too slow. He summoned the force to aid him again but it did not. The lasers activated as the two warriors fought their way along the service corridor. Skidding to a halt as the lasers blocked his path he watched his Master kneel in meditation as the Sith prowled up and down. As the lasers deactivated he sped down the tunnel but he wasn?t fast enough. Once again he was prevented from rejoining his Master and watching in horror saw Qui-Gon stunned by his opponent?s blow and then impaled on his lightsaber.

?NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!? Kenobi jolted awake, for a moment he did not know where he was, until his gaze fell on the heavily sedated Qui-Gon. Relief washed over him as he realised that it had been a nightmare or a vision of what might have been. As the ship carried them to Coruscant he fell into a restless sleep.

------------------------------------------------------------

At the Jedi Temple, Mia tried one final time to make contact with her Master. Reaching out through the force she tried to locate him. Although other force signatures resonated back, the one she was searching for, that of Jedi Master Sifo-Dyas, was gone?

2. menilma

menilma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 25, 2001
    Oooooh, this idea is interesting! Could you perhaps make a link to that other story, Duty?

3. Arwyn_Whitesun

Arwyn_Whitesun Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 2002
    Yay, Sabe! :D You've posted the prequel! Great start. I love Qui-Gon survives the duel fics. And starting with Mia realizing her master is gone is a good beginning also. I was wondering just this morning if you were going to start posting and here it is!

4. Knight-Ander

Knight-Ander Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    *grabs popcorn, and lounge chair*

Goody, my girl Mia is back. :D

Oh, and it's nice to see you writing again too, Sabe. ;) As you can see, I've prepared myself for the long-haul. :D

Popcorn, anyone?

5. ForceAchtungBaby

ForceAchtungBaby Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2002
    Grabs popocorn from Knight_Ander. Thanks!
    Munches happily!!! I wanted extra butter!!
    Very good! I'm so glad that you've started this Sabe - I just enjoy Moxie little Mia so much and I've missed her!!!!
    And, I take it there will be quotes from Moulin Rogue again given your disclaimers - Yeaah!!! (Any wet Obi scenes? - [face_love]
    FAB opens the champaign and passes it around with some chocolate. Hands Sabe a rose in celebration of the first post of her new story!!!!

6. Sabe126

Jun 18, 2002
    Menilma - I hope that it continues to be interesting! Thanks for dropping by :) Here is the link to Duty

Arwyn - Thanks Arwyn!

And starting with Mia realizing her master is gone is a good beginning also.

Thanks again! :) It took a week to plan the basic storyline and quite awhile to work out how to start it, so I am pleased that you liked it.

KA -*grabs popcorn, and lounge chair*

Thanks for stopping by for the long haul :) I hope you will be comfortable! Sounds like you will be!

I don't think it will be as long as Duty but you never know!

FAB - I just enjoy Moxie little Mia so much and I've missed her!!!!

Awww, thanks FAB! :) Also thanks for the chocie, champagne and flower!

Yes, there will be MR quotes

Any wet Obi scenes? - Due to my fast growing reputation thanks to KA ;) there weren't going to be any! But after reading your coment I came up with an idea for a scene. I don't think there will be quite as many as in Duty though.

I really appreciate you three returning for the Prequel. :)

Sabe126

7. The_Chosen_One_41981

The_Chosen_One_41981 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 3, 2002
    :eek: PREQUEL!!! :D WHOO! *sits down and waits for next post*

EDIT: *sigh* I forgot to sign out of my friend's name.....AGAIN! This is Master_Comedy_Kitty. Don't be surprised...i do this a lot...

8. Sabe126

Jun 18, 2002
    Welcome MCK :)

Have we entered a parallel universe or is this now the Sith Council forum either that or my cold must be worse than I thought! :)

Lyrics to ?I?ll Fly Away? from the Moulin Rouge belong to Will Jennings and Joe Sample

?And dread the day when dreaming ends.?

A week later.

Mia waited outside the Council chamber, she did not know what else she could tell them. Her emotions were getting the better of her and she fought to control them. ?You are a Jedi,? she told herself sternly, ?well you might be if the Council grants you another Master.? However, she knew that there was little chance of that. Her own Master had seen little use in training her, so why should she get a second chance?

Lost in thought she did not notice the doors to the chamber open. The Jedi walked over to where she was sitting. He nodded as he sat down; she managed a smile in response.

?I can?t believe that you are in trouble with the Council.?

She looked at him. ?I hope not.? They sat in silence.

?Obi-Wan,? Adi Gallia emerged from the council room, ?the Council will inform you of their decision in due course.?

The Jedi bowed and as he turned to leave he smiled at Mia, ?Good luck.?

?Mia, the Council will see you now.?

Standing in front of the council was a daunting experience, even though only Masters Yoda, Windu, Fisto and Gallia were present. She tried to concentrate as Master Windu took her over the events of the last few weeks for the third time since Sifo-Dyas had been reported missing a week ago.

?So, when did you last see Master Sifo-Dyas??

?Three weeks ago. He had a meeting with Chancellor Palpatine and we left straight away for Brentaal.?

?What happened there??

?Master Sifo-Dyas went to the Guild Bureau, he was there for about an hour, I don?t know who he saw, and then we came back to Coruscant.?

?Speak to the Chancellor about this we will.? Yoda, who had been listening intently, spoke up.

?Then what??

?He left straight away on another mission.?

?Straight away??

?Yes, as soon as the shuttle had been refuelled. He said he would be gone a week.?

?When he didn?t return, did you think it was strange that there was no contact? Why did you leave it another week before you reported it??

?I didn?t think it was strange.? She explained that Sifo-Dyas was usually late back from missions and never contacted her, he just returned.

The meaning behind his words hit Mia like a speeding Bantha. It was her fault, if she had reported it sooner then her Master wouldn?t missing or worse. She missed the glance exchanged between Yoda and Mace; Sifo-Dyas had only been on two missions for the Council during the past six months, not nearly as many as Mia had alluded to.

?So, you told Rem Terni and he in turn told Master Fisto??

Kit Fisto nodded in agreement. ?Mia came to stay with us and I informed the Council straight away.?

?While we investigate further, you can remain where you are.?

?Yes Master Windu.? She bowed and left the room.

?This is a most disturbing puzzle.? Yoda shook his head. What they had not told Mia was that Sifo-Dyas?s ship had been traced to Dantooine but there had been no sign of the Jedi Master. It was highly unlikely that he could shield his force signature for so long but they were not willing to give up hope. ?Tomorrow, speak to the Chancellor, I will.?

9. ForceAchtungBaby

Jul 18, 2002
    Oooh! I'm the first to review this - yipee!!Very nice bit of intrigue there Sabe! I like that you're going to try and investigate what happened to Master SD!
    Oh and an Obi sighting - that makes my heart go boom!
    Yeah what is up with the freaky read sith council background?

10. Master_Comedy_Kitty

Master_Comedy_Kitty Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2002
    :eek: OBI AND MIA'S FIRST CONFRONTATION! AWWW!!
    And this background scares me...

11. Tinuviel_Jyana

Tinuviel_Jyana Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2002
    eeek! no one told me the prequel was up *wah* :_|

but i found it... and i'm ready for my obi action [face_love]

good start can't wait to see what's more...

PS: post up on mine ;)

EVERYONE READ MY STORY... LOTS OF OBI! (well from ch 2 on there is... tee hee)

12. ForceAchtungBaby

Jul 18, 2002
    I think this needs a morning up!

13. jedi_bounty

jedi_bounty Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2002
    Yay Sabe! The prequal is up!

This is going to be just as great as Duty, I can tell. Maybe it will be kind of sad at the beginning though. Poor Mia had just lost her Master. And I've got a question for you, did Qui-Gon get a lightsaber through the middle in their duel? Did they even have the duel? Please explain to my small mind what happened there.

I can't wait to read more Sabe!

14. Arwyn_Whitesun

Jul 13, 2002
    I'm glad you're writing a fic that has Master Sifo-Dyas in it because when I first heard his name in AOTC, I went who? Who the heck is Master Sifo-Dyas and what is he doing ordering a clone army? LOL! Of course, we now know someone was pretending to be Sifo-Dyas.

Anyway, good post, Sabe! Poor Mia. She's blaming herself for something that's not really her fault. She's a lot like Obi in that regard. :)

15. Sabe126

Jun 18, 2002
    FAB - I like that you're going to try and investigate what happened to Master SD!

Thanks for the up FAB! Master SD is in this fic but I don't yet know how deep any investigation will be, it will depend where my muse leads.

MCK - OBI AND MIA'S FIRST CONFRONTATION! AWWW!!

That's what I thought :)

TJ - good start can't wait to see what's more

Thanks TJ :)

JB - This is going to be just as great as Duty, I can tell.

Thanks. Panics at extra pressure! From what I have written so far it is going to be different in that it concentrates on the relationships between the three of them, how they got to the events of Duty.

And I've got a question for you, did Qui-Gon get a lightsaber through the middle in their duel? Did they even have the duel?

All your questions will be answered in the next post.

Arwyn - She's blaming herself for something that's not really her fault. She's a lot like Obi in that regard.

Thanks Arywn. I hadn't really thought of that.

Anyway, it has been a very long day. Due to the terrible weather yesterday the trains were at a standstill today and it took me four hours to get to my meeting and three hours to get home tonight. Should have taken 2 hours each way, so reading all your lovely comments cheered me up!

Lyrics from ?The Show Must Go On? by Freddie Mercury, Brian May, Roger Taylor and John Deacon

Part 2

Later that day.

?Another hero.?

?Have Council made their decision yet??

Obi-Wan shook his head.

?Don?t worry Padawan, they will.?

?So, how are you?? Obi-Wan looked around him; he had always hated the medical wing.

?I?ll survive. Thanks to you.?

He nodded, he had almost lost Qui-Gon to the Sith warrior on Naboo. Obi-Wan closed his eyes at the memory; the pain was too recent. Even though he had rejoined Qui-Gon before the lasers activated, fighting side by side, Qui-Gon had still sustained terrible injuries. It had been left to him to dispatch the Sith and that had not been easy. For a dangerous few moments Obi-Wan had not been able to control his rage and had attacked the Sith ferociously, calling on the dark side as he did so. As he had realised what he was doing he had been pushed into the melting pit, watching in despair as his lightsaber was kicked down after him.

The Sith stood above him waiting for him to fall but realising that he was the only one who could save Qui-Gon, Kenobi had called upon the force. Channelling it like never before he had somersaulted over the Sith calling Qui-Gon?s discarded lightsaber to his hand as he did and before the warrior could react, cut him in half.

As the Sith fell into the melting pit Obi-Wan ran to Qui-Gon?s side, he was barely breathing. Cradling him in his arms, he had begged him to hold on, that help was on the way. Qui Gon had managed to whisper to him, Obi-Wan frowned at the memory, ?Promise me you will train the boy.? Unable to deny the request of his Master he had promised again and again as Qui-Gon lost consciousness. For one terrible moment he thought that Qui-Gon had gone. But help had arrived and he was taken to the Palace medical wing.

For three days and nights Obi-Wan had kept a vigil at his Master?s bedside, refusing to have his own wounds treated until he was sure that Qui-Gon was out of danger. At this news he had left the Palace and taken the path through the gardens to the waterfalls, there he had wept for what he had so nearly lost. He would always be grateful that he had been given a second chance?.

?Can I get you anything??

?No, but you can stop pacing.?

?Sorry,? Obi-Wan hadn?t realised that he was.

?Do not blame yourself Obi-Wan. You did everything that could be done.?

Seeing that Qui-Gon looked exhausted, Kenobi left, promising to return the next day.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Later that night Obi-Wan sat head in his hands in the rooms he shared with Qui-Gon. Without his Master it felt very empty. He picked up his glass and downed it in one

16. ForceAchtungBaby

Jul 18, 2002
    You explored Obi's emotions very well there Sabe! His anguish at nearly losing his master, his fear of being replaced and his misplaced but understandable anomosity toward Anakin.

17. Tinuviel_Jyana

Mar 31, 2002
    OH RIGHT I FORGOT ABOUT THAT!!!

i'm in a yahoo group that's called Eccentricity_Updates... so i get a whole lot of ewan information and i forgot about him reading a book... sad thing is i'm still skepctical that i'll be able to hear it because i'm in america and such...

anyways... GREAT POST! poor obi

can't wait to see more

obiwan... must have... obi... *thud*

(just had to do it... my trademark now)

oh the origination of the "thud" came from that yahoo group btw

Eccentricity that would be the great ewan site that the yahoo group is based off of

alright end advertisement for yummy ewan

18. jedi_bounty

jedi_bounty Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2002
    Yet another great post Sabe! You did a wonderful job portraying the emotions Obi-Wan was feeling and all that.

You also pointed out to me just how hard it had to of been for Obi-Wan to take Anakin as a padawan, considering that he almost took his place with Qui-Gon.

:D

19. Master_Comedy_Kitty

Master_Comedy_Kitty Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2002
    :( Poor Obi.... heh...DRUNK OBI! WHOO! :p

20. Arwyn_Whitesun

Jul 13, 2002
    Wonderful post, Sabe. Poor Obi-Wan. Trying so hard to reconcile his love and respect for Qui-Gon and what happened in the Council Chamber with Anakin.

Tinuviel, I'm here in the States too, but you can listen to Ewan's reading of Chekov by going to this website. You will need Real Player One, but you can download it for free if you don't have it. I listened to some of the broadcast and Ewan's voice is so lovely! And there are more nights to come! :D

Ewan's Books at Bedtime

Enjoy!

21. Tinuviel_Jyana

Mar 31, 2002
    oh thanks Arwyn :) *huggles ya*

22. Knight-Ander

Jul 19, 2002
    Ah, the secret is out. Obi-Wan has to rely on Liquid Courage to get through the pressure. :p

It will be interesting to see how you make Mia Qui-Gon's apprentice, Sabe.

Looking forward to more. :)

23. Sabe126

Jun 18, 2002
    FAB - His anguish at nearly losing his master, his fear of being replaced and his misplaced but understandable anomosity toward Anakin

Thanks FAB! All three are going to reappear throughout the fic. Obi has a lot to deal with.

Thanks TJ! I hope that you get to listen to Ewan today, 4 more to go! :)

JB - You also pointed out to me just how hard it had to of been for Obi-Wan to take Anakin as a padawan, considering that he almost took his place with Qui-Gon.

If it wasn't for Qui-Gon's dying wish I don't believe that Obi-Wan would have trained Anakin.

MCK - Poor Obi.... heh...DRUNK OBI! WHOO

LOL! He might regret it in the morning!

Arwyn - Trying so hard to reconcile his love and respect for Qui-Gon and what happened in the Council Chamber with Anakin.

Thanks! At least in this universe he doesn't have to train Anakin but there is the possibility that Qui Gon may and that is probably something that he wouldn't want to deal with.

KA - Ah, the secret is out. Obi-Wan has to rely on Liquid Courage to get through the pressure.

I think he is allowed a drink especially after all that happened!

It will be interesting to see how you make Mia Qui-Gon's apprentice.

I'm going to have to check that this section is interesting enough!

Quote from Baz Luhrmann?s ?Moulin Rouge?

Part 3

?A force darker than jealousy and stronger than love had begun to take hold.?

The next day.

?I assure you Master Yoda that I do not know where Master, what was it??

?Sifo-Dyas.?

?Ah yes, Master Sifo-Dyas is.? Palpatine sat at his desk, his blue robed guards standing silently in attendance. ?I have not had any contact with him since he completed a mission to Brentaal for me. That must have been over a month ago.?

Yoda was surprised, ?Report to you he did not??

?Oh yes, he reported from Brentaal to say that he had been to the Guild Bureau.? As Yoda did not respond, he continued, ?A most delicate situation, the representatives of the Banking Clan needed to be assured that although there had been a change of Chancellor, things would continue as they were.? Palpatine stood, ?It is unlikely that he would contact me but I would inform you at once if he did.?

Yoda nodded and left.

--------------------------------------------------------

2 months later

Obi-Wan Kenobi waited impatiently outside the Council chamber. At long last he was summoned inside and knelt as Yoda approached. ?Obi-Wan Kenobi, confer on you the level of Jedi Knight the Council does.?

The new Jedi Knight bowed his head. ?Thank you my Masters.?

?The ceremony will be postponed until Qui-Gon is well,? Mace told him.

?May I go and tell him??

Yoda nodded. It took all Obi-Wan?s restraint not to run from the room.

----------------------------------------------------------

?We have one more matter to discuss, Master Ki-Adi-Mundi broke through the Council?s laughter. ?Master Sifo-Dyas.?

?There has been no contact with him for several months. All our investigations have failed to reveal anything about his fate.? Mace reported. ?We must conclude that he is dead.?

The Council members bowed their heads, lost in their own private thoughts over the death of a friend. After several minutes Kit Fisto spoke, ?What about his Padawan??

?Mia?s training will be overseen by Adi Gallia until a permanent replacement can be found.?

24. Tinuviel_Jyana

Mar 31, 2002
    great post... can't wait to see what's next

anymore drool worthy obiwan?

can i tie him up like in geonosis and then dump a bucket of water on him? [face_devil] [face_love]

ok just wishful thinking... need to

*thud*

ok that was more due to exhaustion and realization of all the evil schoolwork i have to do this week :_| got a test and presentation on thursday, gonna have to study intensely tomorrow... as well as i have to get all costumed up tomorrow night (gotta put my ears on... i'm Arwen this year) *sighs* oh well i hope the ears will stay on all wed night/thursday... hehe... i'm going to classes with pointed ears...

oh well wish me luck... but i need some droolworthy obiwan to satisfy me

25. Knight-Ander

Jul 19, 2002
    ?Mia?s training will be overseen by Adi Gallia until a permanent replacement can be found.?

That is interesting.

Question... was the council laughing at the way Obi-Wan left? I thought he was able to restrain himself from running. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.