main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Kenobi Family Album: He's My Son

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Marie_Kenobi, Nov 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marie_Kenobi

Marie_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 12, 2002

Title: The Kenobi Family Album: He?s My Son
    Author: Marie Kenobi
    Rating: G
    Summary: Obi-Wan?s father hopes to make up for what he has done to his youngest son, even if the solution to the problem is not what he had hoped for.
    Archive: Sure! Just please let me know first.
    Disclaimer: Alas, I do not own Star Wars or it?s wonderful characters, therefore I get nothing green out of this labor of love. Any names or things you don?t recognize belong to me; everything else is Jedi Master George Lucas?. The song and title ?He?s My Son? belong to Mark Schultz, so I can?t claim any money for that either.

Enjoy!
    ______________________________________________________________________________________

?He won?t survive another month. Pneumonia is setting in and he?s already very weak. There?s no way his body will be able to fight it.?

?Is there treatment??

The medic looked down at the child, just barely five months old, and felt deep regret fill his heart. ?We could treat him?for 830 daktaries.?

Blue-green eyes belonging to the worried father jerked upward to the medic?s worn face from where they had been admiring the silky strands of ginger hair atop his son?s head. ?Dení, you know I can?t pay you right now. Besides, Republic daktaries are a rich man?s money, not a lowly farmer?s. Listen,? he shifted his son to his other arm, ?the harvest is just a few months away and we?ve got good crops this year. Treat my son now and I promise you?ll get your money-plus more-when I get it!?

Dení?s face softened ever so slightly. ?I?m sorry, Mic. I know the Daltons and Kenobis have always done business together, but Julen?s medical bills already equal three-fourths of what you?ll get from your crops this year-and that?s only if the drought doesn?t get them again.?

The medic reached forward and stroked the abundant wisps of hair already gracing the child?s small head. He felt like scum and he knew he would feel even worse when he told his long time friend, Mic Kenobi, what he felt would be the best thing to do with the sick baby.

?Now, I want you to hear me through before you say anything. Chances are Mic, that even if you had the money to spend, this little one wouldn?t make it. Even if he did, his growth would most likely be stunted and he may have trouble processing things. His motor skills may also be bad. He would be more of a burden than help to you, and Julen already needs constant care. You need children who will be able to work in the fields with you-be a farmer, Mic, not a nuisance. Owen is healthy and growing up to be big and strong. Let this one go.?

Mic Kenobi?s brow furrowed, half in anger, half in confusion. How could Dení say that? When his son had been younger, Mic had often left him alone in conditions not suitable for young babies. Therefore, the man saw his son?s current health as his fault and vowed to see the child through to adulthood, even if he had to suffer along the way. Selfishness moved him in his endeavor to right the wrongs he had placed upon his son more than anything else did.

With a curt nod, Mic walked towards the door. ?Thank you, Medic Dalton. But Julen and I cannot simply let him go.?

Dení frowned slightly. ?You?re a stubborn man, Kenobi.? His voice softened with a hopeless sigh. ?We can only hope little Ben is the same way. Send my regards to the Mrs.?

I?m down on my knees again tonight

I?m hoping this prayer will turn out right

See there is a boy that needs Your help

I?ve done all that I can do myself

His mother is tired

I?m sure You can understand

Each night as he sleeps

She goes in to hold his hand

And she tries not to cry

As the tears fill up her eyes

Julen Kenobi softly closed the door to her oldest son?s room after putting him to bed. Owen was big for a two-year-old and very healthy. The young woman smiled, then frowned just as quickly as she remembered her declining health. If only she could be like Owen. If only Ben could be like Owen. Sa

2. Marie_Kenobi

Feb 12, 2002

Can You hear me?

Am I getting through tonight?

Can You see him?

Can You make him feel all right?

If You can hear me

Let me take his place somehow

See, he?s not just anyone

He?s my son

?I?ve decided to sell half of the farm.?

Julen jerked towards her husband, dropping the torn shirt she had been mending. ?What??

?I said I?ve decided to sell half of the farm,? Mic repeated.

?Stars, Mic! We don?t need to go from poor to poorer. We need this year?s crop-all of it. Besides, this farm has been in your family for generations.?

Mic pulled his dusty boots off before setting them by the door and walking over to his wife. Placing one arm over her shoulders, he leaned in and kissed her temple. ?It?s been a week since Dení saw him. He said he won?t last another month if he doesn?t get help.?

The man pushed to his feet and began to pace. ?I?ll sell part of the farm and we?ll use the money to pay for his treatment and some of what we owe Dení and the other medics you?ve been to.?

?What about Auby?? Julen asked, standing as quickly as her tired body would allow.

Something dark flitted across Mic?s weather beaten face at the mention of his older brother?s name. ?I?m not desperate enough for his help.?

?But Auby loves Ben-

?Yeah? Well so do I! Ben is my son, Julen; I don?t care about what happened in the past. I?m going to make up for it, I promise. We?re together again and I?m not going to put my child?s life in the hands of just anyone.?

Sometimes late at night I watch him sleep

I dream of the boy he?d like to be

I try to be strong and see him through

But God who he needs right now is You

Let him grow old

Live life without this fear

What would I be

Living without him here

He?s so tired and he?s scared

Let him know that You?re there

Julen lay quietly in the bed she shared with her husband, staring at the spot where she knew her son slept.

He sleeps a lot, she thought absently. He hardly ever cries to let me know he?s even hungry. Owen always cried, but no, not Ben. It?s almost as though he doesn?t want others to know he?s in pain...

Unable to sleep through the night because of her own illness, the young woman rolled onto her side and stared out the window in the wall near her. Ever since she had been a little girl, she had always felt as though the stars beckoned to her and shined their brightest when she looked at them.

And perhaps they did. She was, after all, slightly Force sensitive, although not nearly enough to have been chosen for training by the Jedi. Ben, on the other hand, practically glowed with the mystical power. It was obvious to even her limited knowledge and control of the Force.

Julen wanted her children to live better lives than those of farmers. It seemed Owen was content with his circumstances, or at least would remain to be until he learned of the greater gifts the galaxy had to offer, and Ben-Ben was just special. When the young mother looked to the stars, she almost felt as though she could see him up there, traveling from planet to planet and promoting peace and justice.

Yes, Julen wanted Ben to become a Jedi with all her heart and would do anything, including sacrifice herself, to see that dream for her child through to completion. She wanted him to live a life unconcerned with the petty things, and if anyone could heal him, she knew it was the Jedi healers. Although only two weeks had passed since Dení?s diagnosis, the infant was clearly becoming weary from unknowingly battling death, and Julen, despite a lack of training, could easily sense his life force dimming. The young woman didn?t know how she could continue if she was forced to watch one of her children disappear into nothingness. But if she watched him disappear into the billowing cloak of a Jedi Knight, she would gladly let him go.

Closing her eyes in hope sleep would come, Julen said a prayer and made a wish upon the stars.

~~~~~
    AN: OK, so nob

3. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    this is pretty...keep it comming. I hope baby Obi gets better

4. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Beautiful so far! [face_love]

5. Lucid_Lady

Lucid_Lady Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 28, 2002
    This is beautiful so far. I hope to see more in the future.

6. Lucid_Lady

Sep 28, 2002
  7. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Up! More, please?

8. Ganki

Ganki Jedi Master star 3

Jan 27, 2002
    I'm interested in this so far. Just hoping Obi will come into this soon.

Anouther post is coming soon right?

Oh and up!

9. Jedi_Borme

Jedi_Borme Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 17, 2000
    Good story so far. Can't wait to read more.

10. TheFallen

TheFallen Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    Excellent, Marie! :) I like the concept of the story - can't wait for more.

11. Lucid_Lady

Sep 28, 2002
  12. KenobisGirl

KenobisGirl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 10, 2001
    *Emerges from her lurking spot* I'm de-lurking to tell ya how great this is, Marie. Poor baby Obi!! I hope he gets better soon.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to more!!!

KenobisGirl :p

13. Marie_Kenobi

Feb 12, 2002
    Oh! Replies! LOL I thought I put this thing on Active Topic Notification! Guess not...! [face_blush] Thank you all so much for your feedback and the ups you've given me. I would have responded sooner if I had known, but, well, I didn't! :p Anyway, here's the next part. There are just a few more and that's the end of this one.

Tootles for now!
    --Marie K.
    ~~~~~

Can You hear me?

Am I getting through tonight?

Can You see him?

Can You make him feel all right?

If You can hear me

Let me take his place somehow

See, he?s not just anyone

He?s my son

At the sight of a large ship coming towards his small home, young Owen left his mother?s side, abandoning his homemade toy speeder, and scampered as quickly as he could towards it. Julen dropped the article of clothing she was hanging up to dry and quickly hurried after her curious son, scooping him up just as the ship touched down, sending sprays of dusty veils everywhere. The concerned mother was out of breath as she watched the entry ramp of the Republic ship lower. Her illness left her weak and unable to do such simple things without easily tiring.

From the interior of the ship, two figures appeared. One, feminine, wore an earth-colored tunic with a cloak and tall boots. She was humanoid in appearance and her skin was tanned. Two marks graced her face-one on her forehead, the other between her eyes.

The other figure was smaller with green skin and long, pointed ears. He wore similar clothes and carried a cane. Hanging from the belt of each figure was a lightsaber.

Smiling now in relief and happiness, Julen ushered the two Jedi into her home, while off in the distance, Mic turned from his work, saw the ship, and ran frantically through the large fields towards them.

Once inside the picturesque cabin, Julen brought drinks to the Jedi, who then introduced themselves as Jedi Knight Depa Billaba and Master Yoda. The small, green master clasped one, three-fingered hand onto the young woman?s arm as she offered him his drink. Yoda?s pointed ears lowered slightly as he read the woman?s Force signature.

?Sad, you are, and ill. But hopeful you are too, hmm? Help you, you think we can??

Julen dropped to her knees before the diminutive master, her eyes beginning to brim with tears. ?My youngest is very ill. Our medic says that he will die within the next week if we cannot help him. I-I thought that maybe...you...the Jedi...?

Yoda sat quietly for a moment as the woman paused to take in large, lung-filling breaths, then motioned to Depa. Both stood as if to leave and Julen felt a tear flow gracefully along her cheek.

?Please,? she tried, but was silenced as Depa unexpectedly moved towards her bedroom, reappearing a moment later with Ben in her arms. The baby?s eyes were open, revealing their brilliant blue-green depths as he cooed softly and reached up to play with Depa?s braided hair.

Julen gasped. She had never seen Ben do that before.

?Strong, he is in the Force.?

Julen looked back to the small master, hope shining in her eyes. ?Then you?ll take him? Train him to be the great Jedi I know he is destined to be??

Yoda?s voice quieted. ?Sick, he is as well.? There was silence as the Jedi Master seemed to become locked in an internal debate before he turned back to the young mother. ?But help him, we can. Heard your plea for help, I did. Your ally, the Force is.?

The tears began to flow freely from Julen?s eyes and she nodded rapidly, leaning forward to place a small kiss on her youngest son?s head. ?Take him,? she choked. ?Take him before his father comes. Mic would never let him go; he?s too caught up in his own selfish motivations to realize he?s hurting Ben, he doesn?t believe in the Force! Take him! Please!?

Sinking slowly to the ground, Julen felt Owen crawl into her lap and bury his face in her silky hair. The soft pattering of shoeless feet that she heard came to a sudden stop before her, and she felt the gentle touch of Yoda?s hand o

14. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Ah! A post! :D :D :D

15. jedi_nayru

jedi_nayru Jedi Master star 1

Oct 4, 2002
    Great post!

:D

16. Lucid_Lady

Sep 28, 2002
    :::::::is speechless:::::::::::::

17. sabercrazy

sabercrazy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2002
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!

HOW COULD I HAVE POSSIBLY NOT SEEN THIS!!!!

Marie! Jeeze! Freaky thing is that I was just wondering when you gonna post another story, not two days ago.

WOOHOO!

It?s almost as though he doesn?t want others to know he?s in pain...

:eek: WOW! That is just the definition of our Obi.

KEEP THIS GOING! I LOVE IT!!!!

18. Jedi_Borme

Jedi_Borme Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 17, 2000
    Oh good. Poor Obi Daddy didn't get to see his son before he left. Can't wait for the next post

19. Rogue_JediKnight

Rogue_JediKnight Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Maie - Glad to see you posting again - but sheesh - you could have forewarned the need for a tissue :_|.

A very beautiful and touching story - now we just need some more ;)

Rogue

20. Marie_Kenobi

Feb 12, 2002
    Thank you for the feedback everyone! :)

Lucid_Lady--I rendered you speechless?? Now that's a first, usually my readers are always bombarding me with questions or threatening me. ;)

Ah! It seems we meet again sabercrazy! Only this time we're discussing Obi-Wan and not Leggy and Strider! (Or the twins for that matter.) [face_mischief] [face_laugh]

Jedi Borme--Well, I actually think it's for the better that he didn't get to see Obi go. Mic and Obi had a bit of a bad history together....But that's another story. [face_blush]

Hi Rogue! :) It's good to see another familiar face! And sorry I didn't warn about the tissue, I didn't really think you'd need it, but perhaps I should reconsider, eh? ?[face_plain]

Well, as long as you guys don't mind, the next few parts will be kind of short. This way I can stretch it out a bit. However, after this post, there are only two more.

Enjoy! :D

--Marie K.

21. Marie_Kenobi

Feb 12, 2002

Can You hear me?

Mace Windu strode purposely through the halls of the Jedi Temple, a massive group of structures situated in the very heart of the Republic. Only one thing was on his mind as he headed to the crèche.

Unexpectedly, from a door on his right, his long time friend Qui-Gon Jinn appeared, his tunic slightly sweaty from an obvious workout. Mace immediately latched onto his fellow Jedi Master and proceeded to pull his friend along behind him.

Qui-Gon?s brow shot up, a look of bewilderment breaching his usually stoic mask. ?Mace, what in the galaxy is going on??

?A new baby was brought in yesterday.?

?Children are brought in all the time, Mace. What?s the big deal with this one??

?Let me show you,? the Jedi Councilor replied as the entryway to the crèche appeared.

Oh! That was shorter than I thought! Sorry, guys... [face_blush]

22. Estel_Kenobi

Estel_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 17, 2002
    WOW MARIE!!! NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE!!!!

23. Lucid_Lady

Sep 28, 2002
    Can't wait for more.

24. BlueJedi

BlueJedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 25, 2002
    hey!!

more!!

you cannot stop there, you just can't

25. Glad is June

Glad is June Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2000
    I love all the different ideas people have about Obi's origin. Keep going.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.