main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Knights and Knightingales (Obi Romance) [#11 - 12-23] (Special Announcement)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Aunecah_Skywalker, Dec 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    Well, foreseeing as to how two of my fics are really, really close to meeting their rather pitiable ends, I've decided to start my newest installment.

Disclaimer: None of the Star Wars characters belong to me -- except the character that I've created, of course. ;) Please don't sue me because the only profit I'm acquiring from this is (hopefully) feedback.

Author's Note: //...// = Conversations through the Force. And italics indicate thoughts.

I'm going to start posting the story, itself, later this week (as I just have to get everything perfect in this story). But here is a teaser:

Things that Happen Only to Me
    Excerpt from the journal of the one and only Obi-Wan Kenobi

I'm officially going insane now. I have been a Jedi Apprentice for two decades, and thought I was going to be one for two more decades, but, thankfully, the Force told my master in a dream that I was ready to become a Jedi Knight. So now, after mysteriously managing to scrape through the intimidating Trials, am a happy Jedi Knight who is living in his own one-room quarters in the Jedi Temple on Coruscant.

Of course, there is nothing special about my life. (What did you expect? I am a Jedi, and I live on Coruscant - the second most reliable safe-haven for the worst scum in the galaxy.) Well, the Force did include a magnet in my crazy brain to attract trouble. I mean, I'm probably the only person in this entire galaxy who can manage to get into trouble even on Hoth.

I expected that my life would continue being as boring as it had been until now, but I was wrong. I still haven't figured out whether I would rather have had a boring life or an interesting one, and you'll understand what I mean when you read the interesting U-turn my life took when I went to Alderaan, to attend an innocent-looking party.

Bye for now.

:D

I'm temporarily putting this fic on hold. I have so many fics going on that I don't have much time for anything else, and I just can't concentrate on this 'fic.

Aunecah

2. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    I probably should add that this is an AU, though it might be obvious :confused:

Hmm ... now that I've written the teaser, I'm wondering what people think this story is all about. (*hint, hint*) And if you've read my bio and answered this question - well, shame on you! [face_mischief]

Edit: I must be an illiterate.

Aun

3. KatarnLead

KatarnLead Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 5, 2002
    Hey! This looks promising...you've got me interested...

4. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    Hello KatarnLead . ;)

Aunecah

5. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    At last, here's the post. Feedback please. :D

Alderaan.

The name evoked strange emotions in Obi-Wan Kenobi?s heart, and when he listened to what the Force had to say about the planet, he heard something he didn?t like. The moment he regained his awareness, he forgot what the Force had said, which was probably a mechanism to make sure he didn?t try to change the future. But the emotions that lingered told him that this planet?s future was not going to be a very happy one.

?Padawan?? The voice belonged to Qui-Gon Jinn, his mentor?his former mentor. Obi-Wan had been Knighted three months ago, after doing particularly well on the Trials. The thought brought a smile to the young man?s face, just as it had always.

?Yes, Master??

?You look lost in thought.?

Obi-Wan shrugged. ?Simply being mindful of the future,? he answered carefully. Qui-Gon was unusually perceptive in the Force, and that Obi-Wan was his apprentice mad it all the more easier for the Master to figure out what he was thinking. Obi-Wan didn?t want his master to think that he was getting jumpy over something that might or might not happen.

Qui-Gon looked at him carefully. If he sensed anything from Obi-Wan, he kept it to himself. ?Be mindful of the future, Obi-Wan, but not at the expense of the moment. Live in the present, as there is no point in lamenting the past or worrying the future.?

?Yes, Master,? Obi-Wan answered nonchalantly.

Qui-Gon had two mugs in his hand, and both of them were steaming. A delicious smell wafted out from the mugs into Obi-Wan?s nostrils, making his mouth water instantly. He knew the smell well, and he smiled.

?Hot chocolate,? he announced. ?The Force?s own gift to us poor mortals.?

Qui-Gon chuckled appreciatively as he handed over one of the mugs, which Obi-Wan accepted without hesitation.

It was a cold night on Alderaan, and the warmth from the mugs felt good against his hands. He took a sip, savoring the taste of the liquid in his mouth before downing it. The liquid warmed his throat on its way, and Obi-Wan felt almost as if he was drinking some energy-enhancing drug-liquid.

?So, how do you like your day so far?? asked Qui-Gon.

Even though Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon were on the same planet, they hadn?t seen each other the whole day, as their concept of entertainment was entirely different. Qui-Gon had gone to the gardens, because he managed to appreciate the Living Force in the trees and the bushes without getting annoyed by persistent insects. Obi-Wan, on the other hand, had spent most of the day touring the Viceroy?s Throne and other such buildings, preferring the more civilized part of Alderaan.

?It wasn?t the best, but it was okay,? said Obi-Wan, shrugging. ?Of course, that?s not to say that I don?t enjoy being on a mission that doesn?t involve chasing murderous warlords or fighting a dozen flesh-eating reptiles.?

?The missions that you are sent to involve negotiating a truce between two tribes,? said Qui-Gon pointedly, ?and you, Obi-Wan, manage to involve yourself in being dragged into a dungeon by a Dug.?

Obi-Wan had the grace and wisdom to not answer Qui-Gon. The two Jedi then took onto surveying their surroundings.

They were in a large hall that was currently filled with creatures of all species, ages, and sizes, though must of them were humanoids in shape. Alderaan was famous for its parties, and especially its feasts in those parties, but it usually wasn?t the case that so many people turned up. Obi-Wan had been a little surprised at the starting, but that was before Qui-Gon explained to him that this party held something of an interest in many.

Obi-Wan sipped from his mug of hot chocolate again, wondering. Qui-Gon had been incredibly uptight and mysterious about what was so unusual about this party. Obi-Wan had considered asking Viceroy Organa, but then decided against it. He didn?t want to look like the only person who had no clue as to what was going on, though it was obvious that that was indeed the case.

And the

6. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    Hmm ... up?

7. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    Well, nobody seems to be interested. Oh, well. I'll just post another one.

Jedi Master Qui-Gon Jinn strode down the corridor, striving to release his frustration into the Force. It wasn?t often that he couldn?t do what he wanted, but this was one of those times that the Force just refused to co-operate. Instead of decreasing, his frustration kept mounting and mounting until he was sure he was going to explode at the next person who spoke to him.

The whole situation would have been hilarious if it hadn?t been his former apprentice who was involved in it. Qui-Gon repeated the words, Their names should have been taken out of the containers before the starting of the game over and over again in his mind, as if trying to convince himself that he could have nothing to make the situation better.

The ball yesterday night had ended with everyone staring at the stunned Obi-Wan and Kalinda as reporter-droids took their pictures, undoubtedly for the HoloNet. In all the confusion and chaos that reigned later, with the reporter-droids all shouting out questions, all at the same time, and a few other guests asking for Obi-Wan?s and Kalinda?s autographs, none of the Jedi had any time to confront Der?yaguk with his disgusting doings.

Obi-Wan and Kalinda had to all but shove their way through the amassed crowd and into their respective rooms. They had yet to come out. Qui-Gon didn?t know whether they had locked themselves in the rooms because they were still trying to piece together what had just happened, or whether they were mortified at the thought of even having to marry each other. Of course, with the reporter-droids and other media personnel building temporary homes in front of Obi-Wan?s and Kalinda?s doors, they probably best remain indoors.

Qui-Gon rubbed his eyes wearily. He, and Mace, had spent the whole night yesterday talking to everyone from the Viceroy to the kitchen-maids, trying to find someone who could tell them where Der?yaguk had gone. The Jedi Master?s eyes narrowed as he relived his discussion with Bail Organa yesterday night.

?Exciting, the outcome of the event, isn?t it?? Bail Organa asked him, his eyes twinkling. He looked surprised that it had to be two Jedi?s names that were pulled out of the containers, but he didn?t seem to suspect that anything was wrong.

??Exciting? isn?t the word I would have chosen to describe the outcomes, Your Highness,? Qui-Gon answered, carefully stomping the anger out of his voice. When he had agreed for Obi-Wan to accompany him to this meeting, he had only wanted to take Obi-Wan on a relaxing mission, a mission that didn?t involve dealing with death, as his apprentice had so put so eloquently only minutes before.

The smile on Organa?s face became rather fixed as he glanced at Qui-Gon as if he were unsure how to take his comment.

?I take it there is a problem?? he said finally.

?Indeed,? said Qui-Gon, sighing. No matter how angry he was feeling right now, Organa didn?t deserve that anger. It wasn?t him who had thrown Obi-Wan and Kalinda into this situation, after all. At least, Qui-Gon didn?t think he had.

?You know, Your Highness, that Jedi practice celibacy as a rule.?

Organa?s smile dropped completely, and he looked very troubled. ?Ah. I see your problem. So marriage is against the Jedi Code??

?Not exactly.? Hundreds of words rushed through Qui-Gon?s mind, but none of them were quite right to convey his emotions and feelings right now. He took a deep breath and released it slowly. ?The Code doesn?t forbid Jedi from marrying, Your Highness, but it does advice us against it.?

?I don?t understand,? said Organa, sounding confused. ?Why would the Code advice you to remain like ? uh?? he trailed off into an uncomfortable silence. Qui-Gon knew what Organa was about to say, but didn?t say, realizing that that would sound downright rude: ?Why would the Code advice you to remain like monks.?

Qui-Gon sighed, and settled into explaining the intricate workings of marriage, love, and life, and how the

8. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    Here's another post. :)

Qui-Gon took it almost reluctantly; he didn?t know whether he wanted to read the news-story, for, in his experience, the reporter-droids were known for their exaggerations. The story was probably worse in the news than in real life. Still, Qui-Gon thumbed the newspad on, mainly because he had to satisfy his burning curiosity:

Of Knights and Knightingales
    by Kerul Dokhra
    information collected by RD-1137
    HoloNet Press Report (Live)

15-33-3883, 5:02, Alderaanian Standard

That?s absolutely right, gentle beings, I?m here to bring you the most exciting event that has never happened before to liven up your day and give you something to talk about for at least the next week, if not the next month. The fifty-secondth Duality game ended last night, and the two candidates pronounced are none other than the daring and dashing Obi-Wan Kenobi and the beautiful and lovely Kalinda Akula.

Both, as everybody who hasn?t been living under a rock for the past twenty-five years knows, are Jedi, and have only recently (three months and twelve days ago, Alderaanian Standard) been awarded the ranks of the Jedi Knights. It is perhaps the will of their mysterious Force, itself, that the two Jedi should marry, for, as Padawans, they would have been forbidden to engage in any romantic relationship.

The two Jedi have barricaded themselves in their rooms after hearing their names last night, refusing to answer any questions. Many droids are also trying to get hold of Knight Kenobi?s and Knight Akula?s former mentors, Jedi Masters Qui-Gon Jinn and Mace Windu, the former being something of a rebel among the Jedi, the latter, a senior member of the Jedi Council with an acerbic (or otherwise stingy) tongue, but as of yet, the masters have managed to remain mysteriously hidden.

?What?s this rubbish about you having an ?acerbic tongue??? Qui-Gon exploded, unable to contain himself any longer.

?I don?t know,? Mace said, throwing up his hands in the air. ?The way they?re going about it, you?d think that they?ve lived with us our whole lives.?

?And what was that about the Force wanting Obi-Wan and Kalinda to marry each other?? Qui-Gon went on, disliking Kerul Dokhra more and more by the minute. ?If things continue this way, I would have to give into the possibility that the Force wants me to murder whoever involved.?

?It gets worse,? Mace said fervently.

Qui-Gon scanned the next few paragraphs in which Kerul Dokhra went on and on about how this was all an acting on the Jedi?s part, who just wanted to increase the tension or cause a scene (or do both at the same time).

His eyes widened slightly as they lingered at a paragraph a couple of paragraphs down. Mace hadn?t been lying when he said it got worse.

We have acquired information from reliable sources who want to remain unnamed that Knight Kenobi and Knight Akula, in fact, have come to this game in hopes of having their names drawn so that they would have a reason to marry. Though the Code doesn?t forbid the Jedi from marrying, it does strongly advice against it, or so our sources claim. They further add that the Jedi Council would probably have thrown them out of the Order if they had went ahead with their plans?

?This is ridiculous,? Qui-Gon breathed, brandishing the datapad as if he thought there was some malfunction with the text-characters. He didn?t know who these ?reliable? sources were that Kerul Dokhra got all this information from, but he suspected they were just as imaginary as the everything else that Dokhra was writing about.

The article, which continued on screens seven, nine, eleven, thirteen, and fifteen, ended with live projections of the reporter-droids sitting in front of Obi-Wan?s and Kalinda?s rooms, effectively stopping all incoming and outgoing traffic, and several images of Obi-Wan and Kalinda from last night.

Qui-Gon turned it off and pocked the newspad, resisting an urge to throw it onto the floor and jump onto it a cou

9. jedi7

jedi7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2002
    Aunecah, please keep this up, it's so funny, and refreshing. :) 7

10. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    Thanks, Jedi7 . I have another post, if you're still reading. :)

Kalinda woke up to a splitting headache, and felt as if somebody was playing shockball with her head. A deep pounding noise reverberated in the distant chambers of her mind, and it took her a moment to realize that the pounding noise was not a manifestation of the headache. Somebody was persistently knocking on the door.

She stretched out with the Force groggily, and then grimaced. The reporter-droids were still outside, and actually seemed to have multiplied triple fold from the last time she checked out their dim presences in the Force. Didn?t they have a life other than to make mine miserable?

She shakily got out of the chair and onto her feet and crossed the gray-carpeted floor in five long strides. The room that she had been given wasn?t big, but was luxurious, nevertheless. A couple of highly-polished wooden chairs were scattered about the room, most of them lining the walls. A screen occupied one of the walls, allowing her to watch anything from the latest holomovies to HoloNet news (though that was the last thing she had in mind).

Opposite the screen was a large bed with silk drapings and blankets stood against one corner, right in front of a large, mullioned window. She had had a shock when she had looked out the window sometime very early today morning and seen a reporter-droid hovering mere meters away in a speeder, madly taking away as many pictures as it could.

She had cleverly closed the heavy, scarlet drapes to all windows since then, and had bolted down a second lock on the door, just in case an aspiring droid decided that the best way to get her interview was by knocking the door off its hinges.

Kalinda shakily walked into the refresher unit that was attached to her room; one which, thankfully, had only one way in or out, instead of the normal two. She splashed cool water over her face, hoping that would clear off the sleepiness from her mind and allow her to think more clearly. The shadows of sunlight were pouring through a square window to her right. She pulled back the faucet and let the water run against her hands for a couple of minutes.

She didn?t know when she had fallen asleep yesterday, but it must have been pretty late into night because her eyes were red and puffy from the lack of sleep. She stared at herself in the mirror. With red-rimmed emerald-green eyes and dark-brown hair that was tangled in sleep snarls, she looked like a comic version of a nightmare come to life. Her muscles were all cramped from spending however many hours in a chair, something that her master had warned against.

She exited the refresher a couple of minutes later, not feeling much better. The cool water definitely helped, but not nearly enough. She looked at the main door again, beyond which sat the reporter-droids. It was perhaps convenient and wise of the HoloNet to use droids to obtain information, for droids didn?t have a stomach to feed. They of course needed to recharge themselves every once in a while, but the droids could go on, at least theoretically, for at least three weeks before their memory drives started to malfunction from overheating.

Very convenient, she thought sarcastically, as she sank into her bed, and rolled over onto her stomach, bringing a pillow down on her head. What am I going to do now? She desperately needed to get away from here, breathe some fresh air. She felt like a prisoner in this room, and was, in fact, starting to suspect that she was going to become one if the droids didn?t go away.

I never got into trouble before. Why now? It?s all Kenobi?s fault. It has to be. Everybody knows that he is a magnet for trouble. I should have declined Master?s offer to accompany him on this ?mission.? But how was I supposed to know that I?m going to become the victim of a strange, stupid game? I only was tired of being a Jedi, and wanted, for once, to pretend that I was a normal, everyday human being, who didn?t have the galaxy to worry about.

11. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    Well, another update. :)

Thus decided, Kalinda rummaged through her robe pocket, pulled out a pair of gloves, and shoved her hands through them.

The gloves were very strange, for they didn?t look as if they were made out of cloth. Rather, they were translucent, tinted with a tinge of black, and looked metallic. As if the manufacturers had poured some gray, liquid metal into a transparent, hand-shaped cloth, and sealed it so that the liquid didn?t leak out. Weird dials surrounded the wrist-portion of the glove, and Kalinda was currently very busy turning them, with her hand pressed flat against the wall.

Suddenly, at a particular setting, the gloves locked against the wall.

?It?s built out of mariabla?? Kalinda said out loud, surprised. ?We don?t see that many buildings around in the galaxy that were built out of that metal.?

Yanking her hand away from the wall, she gripped the edges of the window, and pushed herself out, careful to not look down. She wasn?t afraid of heights, but then again, she didn?t want to take any risk either. She had to get away from the room before the droids realized that she wasn?t in there any longer.

She climbed up the building vertically, placing her hands, one after another, higher and higher on the smooth metallic surface of the building. Gravity pushed her down, and more than a couple of times, she lost her footing, mainly because her feet weren?t tucked into anything magnetic, like her hands were. She almost felt like a Coruscant spider climbing up its web.

It was foggy outside, thankfully, and as a result, she wasn?t very distracted from people ogling at her, wondering what she was doing. The skies darkened rapidly as she proceeded up, and soon were being split frequently by long forks of purple lightning. The sprinkle turned into a heavy rainstorm. She was drenched before she could blink.

All, in all, she was very glad when she blasted her way into the hall, not really caring about what it would like it if there were any people in there.

As it happened, the hall wasn?t completely deserted. It had a lone occupant. And the noise of the windows breaking seemed to have startled him (or merely increased his curiosity), for he came rushing toward her.

?No, watch out?!? Kalinda screamed, realizing what would happen the next instant a split second before it actually happened.

The rain was thundering in, and had created a pool of water on the floor. Kenobi lost his balance?(?Whoa!?)?and slipped, crashing into her.

Kalinda felt her head hit something unyielding as she went sliding back across the floor. Probably the wall. She came to a painful halt with Kenobi laying on top of her, wincing at something. He seemed to have tried to stop himself by pushing against the wall with his hand, but had only succeeded in breaking his wrist.

?Get off me!? Kalinda barked, pushing him away as she rolled over into a sitting position. She thought she could hear a strange whirring noise in the distant corners of her mind, and she touched her head where it had hit the wall, wincing as she felt a slight bump.

?Don?t worry, I had no and will never have any intentions of ever doing with you anything you were wishing I would do,? Kenobi said irritably, glaring at her through narrowed eyes.

?With a mouth like that, it?s a wonder you aren?t dead already,? Kalinda snapped heatedly, biting back a furious diatribe she wanted to throw at him. If nobody heard them crashing into the wall, then she didn?t want to make them realize that there was somebody in the hall by shouting.

Kenobi gave her a sardonic smile. ?Well, if you really didn?t want to hear me saying something like that, then perhaps you shouldn?t have thought what you did.?

?I thought nothing like that.?

?Whatever,? Kenobi said dismissively.

Kalinda chose wisely to not comment. She could feel her cheeks starting to flame as it became obvious to her that Kenobi had been peeking into her mind, either intentionally or unintentionally. Her shields must have

12. TheFallen

TheFallen Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    Well, I don't know why you haven't gotten very many replies to this, but I think it's wonderful. :D

13. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    ?Well, I figured I might as well do something about the Der?yaguk since my master seems willing to just sit around and do nothing,? said Obi-Wan. He sighed. ?I thought I would follow his Force-trail.?

?And??

?It?s gone.?

Kalinda grimaced. ?Well, there goes my vision of salvation.?

Kenobi opened his mouth to respond, but he suddenly stopped, his features going instantly alert. Curious, Kalinda opened herself to the Force, wondering if there was anything nearby to warrant such alertness from Kenobi. As it was, there apparently was a reason.

?Did you hear that?? Kenobi asked, his voice barely above a whisper.

?No, but I?m feeling him,? answered Kalinda grimly.

Kenobi stared off into the darkness ahead of them for a moment. There were four entrances to the hall, too behind them, and two ahead of them. Apparently realizing that, Kenobi motioned to her with two fingers to go cut off the intruder?s exit from the left, while he took on the right one. Momentarily forgetting that she had sworn to herself to never follow Kenobi?s orders, Kalinda nodded, and quickly hurried down into the gloominess.

She wasn?t really surprised that it was so dark in the hall, not when she considered that it was unlit, and the sun outside was totally hidden behind a thick smog of clouds. While she was unable to use her eyes, which she didn?t trust anyway, she was able to use the Force?her only sense that wasn?t affected by anything she had ever known. Sensing the man?s presence only a couple of meters ahead (probably on the dais), Kalinda quickened her pace as much as she could without her boots clinking on the floor and giving away her presence.

The shadows stirred in her peripheral vision, and she saw Kenobi climbing the short flight of steps onto the dais, and ambling toward another presence in the middle. He gave Kalinda some time to place herself between the intruder and the second exit before speaking.

?Can we help you in anyway, sir??

The intruder let out a startled squeal; in his surprise, he lost his balance, and fell with an almighty thud onto the floor. He scrambled back from Kenobi, probably judging his chances of escaping a Jedi. He looked at the other end, and saw Kalinda, and his panic rose so steeply, it nearly disoriented her.

Kalinda moved forward, turning on the lights with a wave of her hand. Her eyes readjusted rather quickly to the sudden effulgence, and she saw Kenobi forcefully pulling Der?yaguk onto his feet. She looked at Kenobi for a moment longer, surprised to find his face as passive as ever. She turned to glare at Der?yaguk.

?Knight Kenobi, Kn-Knight Akula,? Der?yaguk gasped nervously. ?How?how nice to see you again. I never thought I?d actually meet you two in person. I?m so ? ahhhh ? honored.?

?I bet,? Kalinda murmured to herself, as she stopped less than a stride away from him. ?The pleasure is all ours, but pray tell, what you are doing here??

?I?? said Der?yaguk, his eyes darting to the window behind Kalinda. ?I just ? forgot something here, and was looking around for it.?

?In the dark?? asked Kalinda with a raised eyebrow. Der?yaguk started nodding, then caught himself. ?You must have vision enhancers implanted into you. Kenobi is known to have a rather perfect eyesight, and even he can?t see this well in the dark. Can you, Kenobi??

When she got no answer, Kalinda tore her gaze away from Der?yaguk?s face, to look around for the other Jedi. To her surprise, he wasn?t standing beside Der?yaguk, like she had thought he was. On the contrary, he stood bending over a table at the far end. ?Kenobi?? she asked. When he didn?t answer, she raised his voice mildly and said, ?Obi-Wan!?

The Jedi turned around almost grudgingly, and Kalinda didn?t like what she saw in his face. There was a storm brewing in his blue-green eyes; he looked almost angry. Kenobi marched toward a moaning Der?yaguk, grasped his wrist, and nearly dragged him back to the table. Kalinda followed, wondering what he had seen.

?Explain this!? Kenobi said vehemently, letting go of Der?yaguk

14. jedi7

Jan 8, 2002
    well, i guess i'm gonna have to wait to find out what Obi's was doing in there, and how did he get past the droid reporters anyway?? 7
    oops, guess i replied after you posted.

15. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    TheFallen : Thanks. :)

Jedi7 : Obi-Wan got past the reporters much the same way as Kalinda. You must have missed my last post, because it says what Obi's doing there.

Here's the next installment. :)

?Well?? she said angrily, shoving the name-tags into Der?yaguk?s hands. ?You?re telling me that not only did not do what my master asked you to do, you included only our names??

Der?yaguk swallowed, looking at and through Kalinda. ?I ? I can explain this??

?One would hope,? muttered Kenobi.

?We were contacted by a?? Before Der?yaguk could complete his sentence, Kalinda?s danger sense flared. She darted aside, yanking her lightsaber into her hand and switching it on in a split-second, noting Kenobi to do the same. A scarlet laserbolt shot in from the other end of the hall, where stood a couple of masked men. They missed widely, but killing or hurting Kalinda or Kenobi was not their plan.

In that precious instant that both of the Jedi were focused on an outside thread, Der?yaguk found the chance that he?d been waiting for. Roughly pushing Kalinda out of the way, he scrambled down the dais and ran toward his comrades. Kalinda would have run after him, had she not known the futility of that. By the time she regained her footing and stood up, Der?yaguk was less than a meter away from the masked men. She silently cursed herself for not having the foresight to bring a blaster along. Lightsabers were excellent when you wanted to defend yourself, but what if you wanted to attack somebody?like Der?yaguk?

She and Kenobi continued blocking blasterbolts for the next couple of instants. Then, Der?yaguk and the masked raiders jumped through the window?the window that she had broken in through.

?They all must have escaped from a lunatic asylum,? Kalinda muttered as she darted toward the window, enhancing her speed through the Force.

She and Kenobi reached the window at the same time, less than a split-second after the last of the raiders had jumped out. Looking down through the window, they saw all the men falling into a top-less speeder that zoomed off into the traffic lane as soon as the last of the men was in.

She sensed exhilaration from Der?yaguk, and that gave rise to numerous thoughts unbecoming of a Jedi. She now grimly wished she sliced her lightsaber through a leg or two when she had a chance.

?They think they?ve lost us,? she commented to no one in particular.

?Obviously they don?t know anything about Jedi,? answered Kenobi, still staring through the window.

?I still find it hard to believe he would do such a thing. I mean, why would anybody???

Kenobi shrugged, throwing up his hands, and then wincing as he remembered that he had a broken wrist. ?Aargh!?

?We should go tell the Viceroy?? started Kalinda.

?But are we sure the Viceroy wasn?t in on this?? he interrupted, giving her his patented ?you?re-so-stupid? look. ?I find it hard to believe that Der?yaguk could have pulled out this insane feat without Organa?s cooperation.?

?Point noted,? Kalinda conceded bitterly. Then, she added, ?What if we go to the HoloNet office and show them??

?Are you brain dead?? hissed Kenobi. ?We can?t even walk two meters out of this hall without being surrounded by reporter-droids. What makes you think they are going to listen to us?? They?ll just shout their heads off until their vocal processors get overheated and then burned. And then, they?re going to write another article about how we??

?Yeah, yeah, yeah, I get the idea,? said Kalinda. ?I guess I ? uh ? forgot about that part.? She sighed, collapsing down into a cross-legged position on the floor. ?So, basically, if we want to get out of this, we have to go find Der?yaguk.?

?Basically. And find out why he so badly wanted us to marry.?

?Okay. Then, we?ll sneak out of here, go to Space Control, check out the records, and catch him while he?s trying to escape,? suggested Kalinda.

?That?s assuming that he?s actually planning on getting out of here,

16. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    Well, as long as I have something written, I might as well post it. Here's another post, probably the last one for today.

Is this so boring? :(

The talks with the Viceroy didn?t go very well. Actually, when Qui-Gon and Mace went to meet Organa, they were sent to a dozen intermediate personnel, from the Viceroy?s Throne to the Entertainment Center, all of which took until five o? clock in the evening. Yet, Qui-Gon and Mace still hadn?t been allowed to meet Organa, which only started to elevate Qui-Gon?s suspicions that Organa had been working with Der?yaguk all the time.

?You would think that they would treat us with a little more respect,? said Mace as he sat slumped in a chair. ?If not because we?re Jedi, then because they invited us here.?

Qui-Gon was too tired to reply. He only shook his head in disappointment. Whatever the results of this mission, Qui-Gon knew that if ever Alderaan asked him to do a favor, he was going to?

?It?s better not to think that kind of thoughts,? Mace said quietly, faint amusement ringing dully in his voice.

Normally, Qui-Gon would have eagerly risen to the bait, but not today. ?I know,? he sighed heavily. He paused a moment, and then added, ?Take this as a warning?if you ever have a request from Alderaan, don?t think about me.?

?Right now, I feel upset enough to just throw away the request and pretend that it never even came in, but I have feeling that?s going to pass once I manage to catch a couple of hours of meditation,? answered Mace, eyeing a duo of officials walking past them with an unreadable expression on his face.

A blanket of silence fell over the two Jedi Masters, during which Qui-Gon and Mace simply took to idle observation and silent, not

?You know,? said Qui-Gon suddenly, breaking the silence, ?this whole thing is so unrealistic, it?s crazy. I know the press is always wanting to make a few chosen persons? lives miserable, but since when have they been so persistent? I mean, the reporter-droids have hardly left the corridors since yesterday night, though its obvious they?re going to get nowhere with it, and more and more keep coming.?

?You?re saying that this whole thing was planned,? said Mace. It wasn?t a question. The dark-skinned Jedi Master looked at him strangely, as if he thought Qui-Gon had gone crazy. At a certain level, Qui-Gon thought, his assertion did seem crazy, but that didn?t make it any less implausible.

?Think about it,? said Qui-Gon. ?The Viceroy beg us to send at least two or more Jedi here, and even put pressure on us by having Chancellor Valorum second his request; then we come here, and find that it just so happens this celebration also happens to host the Duality game. You tell Der?yaguk not to include our names in the game, but he does so anyway, and out of the however many hundreds of people present, Obi-Wan?s and Kalinda?s names come out. That?s a lot of co-incidence.?

Mace didn?t answer for a moment. He looked lost in thought. Even though his face remained a blank slate, the way Mace was looking at the floor told Qui-Gon that his friend was at least starting to agree with his conclusions.

?You could be right,? Mace said finally, choosing his words carefully. ?But there?s one gaping hole in your logic: There is no way the Viceroy could have known who we were going to send. What if the Council decided to send all men or all women? Or if we had sent a Mon Calamarian and-and a?.? Mace trailed off, as he struggled to come up with the name of a species that was so different from the Mon Calamarians that they marrying each other would be almost impossible.

?But we didn?t, did we?? Qui-Gon interrupted.

?What?s that supposed to mean??

?You said we could have sent a Mon Calamarian and somebody like Master Yoda. But we didn?t. Along with you and I, the Council decided to send Obi-Wan and Kalinda. Around the same age, not too old to marry, Knighted recently, having no apprentices or other burdens?. Both are well-known; and the galaxy definitely ? (let?s see, how should I frame it?)

17. Lady__Skywalker

Lady__Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 22, 2002
    This story is funny. I wonder who was behind that little set up.

18. Jedi_Nifet

Jedi_Nifet Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2002
    It is hilarious. Thankfully, I'm not Qui-Gon, nor am I Obi-Wan or Kalinda, or Mace. So this is very funny. [face_laugh]

Thank you for this story. It lightened my mood greatly.

Now I want to see how they will get out of this mess. Or will Obi-Wan and Kalinda have to marry and try to come along with each other. :D

Please go on. I like this story very much.

Nifet

19. kasiaskywalker

kasiaskywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

May 1, 2002
    it's really good fic!!
    keep writing
    UP

20. Jedi_Nifet

Jedi_Nifet Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2002
    Hey, not so fast! Before I got to reply you posted three more posts.

It seems Qui-Gon and Mace don't know that their apprentices are no longer in their rooms. I wonder what they would think once they find out Obi-Wan and Kalinda are gone. :D

Keep up the great work ;)

21. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    Yay! Replies:

Lady__Skywalker : Thanks. All shall be revealed in due time, of course. :)

Nifet :

Thankfully, I'm not Qui-Gon, nor am I Obi-Wan or Kalinda, or Mace. So this is very funny.

[face_laugh] I guess so.

kasiaskywalker : Thanks.

Nifet : Well, I just happened to have 20 pages of this story already typed up before I started posting it, so I figured I might as well post them at regular intervals. Hopefully, I'll be able to update at least once or twice once my stock of posts is gone. And, you'll find out Mace's and Qui's reactions, as well. ;)

Aun

22. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    They?Der?yaguk and the masked raiders?were several kilometers ahead, landing in a hanger near the Space Control complex. He could feel their presences, their satisfaction that they had gone against not one but two Jedi and still gotten out alive. There was something odd about the masked raiders; their presences were so similar to Der?yaguk?s, he knew that they all were siblings. Which made sense; the masked raiders had appeared willing to die for the freedom of Der?yaguk, and he had been surprised at that, for he hadn?t seen that kind of a loyatly before.

Not from those that he fought with, any way.

They were making it for the Space Control, like Akula had said they would. He could see them in his mind?s eye, see them and their surroundings. Der?yaguk split up with the masked raiders near a building, with the masked raiders going off on a tangent, and Der?yaguk entering the building.

Interested in Der?yaguk rather than the raiders, he followed the man rather than his siblings. Into the building he went ? walking down a corridor ? to the reception desk, where sat a droid, busy doing about its usual business. Der?yaguk talked to it, his voice low. He couldn?t hear what Der?yaguk was saying, though he should have.

He didn?t have too much time to dwell on it, though. Der?yaguk was already moving, and hence he followed. Der?yaguk walked down through a maze of corridors. He seemed to know where he was going, for he barely paused to think twice when turning from one corridor to another.

Der?yaguk stopped in front of a closed door. He knew that Der?yaguk was standing before some king of a docking bay. He couldn?t explain how he knew it, he just did. It might have something to do with the fact that Der?yaguk was in a building that was made up of nothing but corridors and landing/docking bays.

The door swished open after Der?yaguk typed in the right password. He was right. It was a docking bay.

??Kenobi!?

He thought he heard somebody calling his name. It was a female voice. He frowned, looking around himself for somebody who was female and somebody who knew his name. His frown deepened as he thought about it. There weren?t many people in the galaxy who called him by his last name?no matter whether or not they knew him.

Almost instantly, he realized who was calling him: Akula. As soon as he realized it, his concentration started wavering and the docking bay started dissolving away into darkness. He had only the time to run out of the docking bay and note its number before he found himself staring at the gloomy sky.

Releasing a breath that he hadn?t realized he had been holding, he stared ahead, giving his brain time to reorient itself. He was sitting in a speeder that they had ?borrowed? for the occasion, and was flying happily at five hundred kilometers per hour some four thousand meters above ground. Beside him sat Kalinda Akula, an unlikely companion, and they were heading to the Space Control buildings, which was where Der?yaguk and his companions had gone.

?What?? he asked Akula a minute or two later.

?We?re coming up on the Space Control,? said Akula, motioning with one hand, while keeping the other on the steering bracket. She shrugged. ?I thought it might be a good time for you to come out of your self-imposed exile in the Force.?

Obi-Wan rolled his eyes in annoyance at that. Then he wondered if he had insisted on tracking Der?yaguk through the Force because he didn?t think he could take an hour?s worth of traveling beside Akula. It didn?t take too much time to convince himself that that was indeed the case.

?Did you learn anything?? Akula asked.

Obi-Wan shrugged in return. ?Nothing much. Just the docking bay number that Der?yaguk?s ship seems to be at.?

?Ah. So I suppose we should go check that out first before getting arrested at the private Space Control buildings??

?Seems like a plan.?

?Great.?

23. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    Here's another update. :)

It didn?t take them long to find trouble, Kalinda reflected. They had gotten on the wrong side of the Space Control authorities from the very first moment?though it was not entirely their fault. The droid at the reception desk was in an especially bad mood because of a couple of crazy scientists who nearly went to tears when it told them that their ?experimental? results needed to be discarded because they were highly explosive.

Kalinda didn?t know why the Alderaanians bothered with restricting people from taking away bombs when they were going away from the planet, but she was glad nevertheless that somebody was actually destroying the explosives. The galaxy would have had that many less wars destroying its beauty.

She sighed.

?If these scientists turned out to be suicide bombers, they just don?t want them to blow up a dozen other ships and cause major paranoia throughout the planet,? said Kenobi. He was drumming his fingers on the countertop, looking around for the droid who had gone with an ?I?ll be back in a minute.?

?What?? asked Kalinda.

?You asked why the Alderaanians bothered with stopping people from taking explosives,? said Kenobi casually. ?I was just answering why.?

?No, I didn?t.?

?Yes, you did. How else would I know??? He looked at her suddenly, the startled expression on his face telling her all she ever needed to know, much more effectively than any words. They both knew what it meant: the Force had bonded them, or at least was starting to do that. That was entirely ridiculous, of course. There was absolutely no reason why the Force should do that. There were two kinds of Force-bonds in this galaxy: one between a master and an apprentice (or the like), and the other between two mates. Kalinda and Kenobi fit neither of the roles, unless the Force had something else in mind than what they had.

?The droid?s coming,? said Kalinda, looking away.

?Yeah.?

The negotiations with the droid went on for at least another half an hour. The scientists seemed to have screwed up its paranoia circuits, and it became refused to let them go cruise around the docking bays, which Kalinda knew was usually not the case. The worst part about the whole thing was that she and Kenobi couldn?t even mind-trick their way through the droid, which was probably why the Alderaanians had a droid for the reception desk instead of a human.

?Come on,? Kalinda said desperately. She felt like a child begging for more candy from an adult who quite clearly wasn?t inclined in the least to give her any. ?We just want to take a look. We don?t have any weapons with us.?

? ?Take a look?? That doesn?t compute. Please reword your request.?

Kalinda growned under her breath, wondering why the Space Control authorities didn?t bother putting some protocol and speech implants into the droid?s brain. Probably to make my life miserable ? Are those reporter-droids still banging at my door? ? Why is Alderaan so screwed up?what?s up with the planet, anyway?

?Our ship is currently experiencing a malfunction,? explained Kenobi patiently. ?We just learned that our friends are here as well, and we just want to make sure they are.?

?Why??

?We want to ? surprise them by ? visiting them wherever they are.?

Way to go, Kenobi, thought Kalinda with a mental grimace. That explanation is sure to get us past this stupid droid.

Kalinda would have sworn Kenobi glared at her from the corner of her eyes. She blinked, and he looked as if he had been staring at the droid for the past five minutes.

She gave herself a mental shake and concentrated on what the droid was saying.

?How does seeing their ship fit into your desire to surprise your friends by visiting them wherever they are?? the droid demanded in its metallic voice.

?We need to make sure that they are here,? said Kenobi. ?Because we have to spend at least half of a day trying to find out where they are. I?m not going to searching for them when they?re actually not here.?

This is getti

24. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
  25. jedi7

Jan 8, 2002
    Up where I can find u

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.