main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Breathe- AU (Q/Obi-Angst, Torture) ****IMPORTANT AUTHORS NOTE 4/5*****

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by KrystalBlaze, Dec 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KrystalBlaze

KrystalBlaze Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    My first fic on this site, be please nice!

SUMMARY: Obi-Wan left the Jedi Order three years ago under dangerous circumstances. Now on Naboo, he finds himself facing off against two enemies: his former Master, Qui-Gon Jinn, and a dark force he thought was gone forever.

Disclaimer- the song is "Breathe" by Nickelback off of ?The State? CD. Chad Kroeger wrote it. All other rules apply.

PROLOUGE

BREATHE

And now I found it?found I adored it
    I didn?t want this can somebody help me see?
    And know I feel that?feel I?ve been there
    I don?t need this can somebody help me stand?
    And now I told him already warned him
    I didn?t want this can somebody help me breathe?

- Breathe, Nickelback

"You can?t do this, Obi-Wan. "

Qui-Gon Jinn?s voice was timid, yet firm. His twenty-five-year-old apprentice stood with his back to him, his arms crossed and his back rigid and stiff.

"Obi-Wan? Did you hear me?"

Obi-Wan did not respond. He made no move to show that he had even heard Qui-Gon.

Qui-Gon felt a flash of anger flare within him. This was disrespect in its highest form. He sat on the edge of the bed, not moving. He didn?t want to upset Obi-Wan but at the same time he wanted to stand and shake the man.

"I have passed the trials," Obi-Wan said suddenly.

"What?" Qui-Gon?s voice held the shock that mirrored his face. He made a move to sit up, but then thought better of it.

Suddenly angry, Obi-Wan spun on his heels, allowing Qui-Gon to see his bruised face and his swollen eye. " Yes, Master, I passed the trials. Two days ago, in fact. " His blue-gray eyes burned with anger and determination.

" Padawan-"

"Padawan?"" Obi-Wan?s voice jumped to accusation. " Padawan? With all due respect, isn?t Anakin your Padawan now? "

Shock registered on Qui-Gon?s face. Again, the disrespect. He would not tolerate it this time. " Obi-Wan, I will not be spoken to you in such a manner. You are just a Padawan-"

"A Knight " Obi-Wan interrupted with a smirk.

Qui-Gon wanted to hit the young man in front of him. Ever since the blockade of Naboo, they had distanced. And Qui-Gon knew it was absolutely Obi-Wan who had changed, not he. He didn?t even know why. Obi-Wan had complete shut him out. Before today, Qui-Gon had not seen his Padawan for the last two weeks.

"I believe I am leaving now, Master Jinn. " Obi-Wan?s voice was loathed with contempt. " I suppose I should say farewell. " His eyes mocked Qui-Gon. " Farewell. "

"What? Wait, don?t!"

Obi-Wan was all ready turning to leave. His steps were slow, and Qui-Gon noticed he had a sight limp. What happened to him?

Qui-Gon jumped up and reached for the comm unit on the wall. He had to make Obi-Wan talk to someone. It was clear to the Jedi Master Obi-Wan had no intent of listening to him.

Obi-Wan whirled around. His eyes flashed dangerously. He reached out his hand.

Qui-Gon gave a cry as he was thrown back. His feet caught the bed and he rolled over it at an alarming speed.

Obi-Wan withdrew his hand and then threw it violently out on front of him. In response, Qui-Gon continued his roll and slammed into the window behind him, cracking it and splitting the back of his head. He groaned, then collapsed to the ground, blood trailing down his back and stars dancing in his eyes

Obi-Wan watched him for a minute. His eyes were a furious shade of gray. He reached down and picked up his pack. He paused, then reached inside his tunic and withdrew a smooth ebony stone. His smile was wicked as he tossed it over the bed. It landed on Qui-Gon clenched fist, then bounced with a clatter on the wood.

"I believe you?ll be needing this more than I will, Master Jinn." He gave a vile laugh.

His stride was slow and heavy as he left the room.

Obi-Wan stepped out of the room and into the corridor. He checked the hallway and made sure no one was in sight. He walked quietly down the hall towards the turbo-lift that would take him to the lowest level of the Temple. He pressed the button and waited for the lift to pop up.

2. KrystalBlaze

Aug 3, 2002
    Ups? Anyone please read?

3. Crimson_Sabre

Crimson_Sabre Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 20, 2002
    First reader! I'm here. Good start. I love the fics where my favorite prequel Jedi plays the role of the bad guy. Obi-wan, Number-wan.

4. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Creepy beginning! I love it! :D

5. Sabe126

Sabe126 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Looking forward to seeing where this is going :)

Sabe126

6. KrystalBlaze

Aug 3, 2002
    Thanks for the kind words, everyone, it really means a lot, and don't worry: Obi-Wan comes into play in the next chapter... which will uploaded before i leave tonight, thanks!

BREATHE
    PART ONE:

THERE ARE ALWAYS DOUBTS

Qui-Gon walked down the corridor of the Temple in a good mood.

Today was his day. Today was a cause for celebration and joy. He wanted to leap and sing at the top of his lungs. Life was great, and life was grand. He smiled as he walked. Today would not be shamed by the shadow Qui-Gon could feel lurking in his mind because of the Last One.

Anakin turned thirteen today.

Today, Qui-Gon officially had a Padawan. A Padawan who would bring balance to the Force and live up to Qui-Gon?s expectations, and Qui-Gon did set them high. His Padawan was the Chosen One, the one who would cast out the dark and shine the galaxy with light. Yes, today was a great day.

Qui-Gon didn?t want to think about the one who had preceded Anakin. That one brought disrespect to all Jedi. The thought of him brought a bad taste to Qui-Gon?s mouth.

Qui-Gon loathed the man. To say his name was poison. So what if he had been Qui-Gon?s Padawan for twelve years? So what if he had loved him such as a son? So what if he had risked his life for Qui-Gon time after time? So what? Nothing about him mattered anymore. The very indication of his name was taboo. He wasn?t the Chosen One. He didn?t matter.

No one was as important as the Chosen One. Nothing was as important as the training of the Chosen One. Nothing and no one. Not even?

"Hello, Qui-Gon," Mace Windu said as he fell into step beside Qui-Gon.

Qui-Gon wanted to curse Mace for interrupting his thinking process. Not even?Mace Windu. Yes, yes. That fit perfectly. Just what he was thinking.

"Hello, Mace." Qui-Gon hoped Mace caught the impatient in his voice and took the hint. He needed to speak with Anakin. Anakin had a very special birthday gift waiting for him once he came to their apartments from classes?

Mace paused, but he pushed on. "The Council is expecting you in an hour to discuss the situation of Anakin?s first mission."

Qui-Gon whirled on Mace. "What do you mean, ? the situation??"

Mace regarded his friend with a wary eye. Lately, Mace had noticed a change in Qui-Gon. Actually, the change had started three years ago, but now it seemed to showing, and Mace didn?t like what he saw. His eyes were regal as he regarded Qui-Gon. "Some Council members are expressing doubt of Anakin?s readiness for his mission."

"What?" Qui-Gon?s voice got loud and disbelieving. Some initiates looked over then scampered away very quickly. "What do you mean? ? His readiness?? That?s not right, Mace. Anakin has been training for three years! Of course he?s ready."

"Qui-Gon," Mace said steadily. "The Council knows that Anakin has made excellence progress since he arrived. Some Council members, however, believe he is too nervous and not in tune with the Force enough."

Qui-Gon?s anger was palpable. "You?re not serious. He?s at the top of his class. He?s in the fourteen-year-olds lightsaber classes. Believe me, he is ready." Qui-Gon did not say the obvious: Anakin was the Chosen One.

"We will discuss this with the Council," Mace said as if he had not heard Qui-Gon. "Anakin will be present. Do you understand me?"

"What else is there, Mace? I know you don?t just doubt Anakin?s readiness."

Mace hesitated, then pushed on. "You have not been on a mission in three years, not since O-"

"Don?t speak that name in my presence," Qui-Gon said sharply.

Mace sighed. " There is no shame in what he did, Qui-Gon. Xanatos did the same thing."

Mace meant no harm, but Qui-Gon took the words the wrong way. "Oh, so is that how it goes? Do you see me as a failure because of what happened to my last two apprentices? Is that how you see me now? Jedi are individuals, Mace. What they do is by their own hand, not by their Master?s."

The other Jedi groaned. "No, no, of course not, Qui-Gon. "

"Yes, it is!"

"You?re acting immature!"

7. KrystalBlaze

Aug 3, 2002
    That's all for the night, I hope you like it!

BREATHE
    PART TWO:

NOT ALWAYS AS IT SEEMS

The starship was a beauty. It was as sleek as it was powerful and was as powerful as it was sleek. Queen Padme Amidala, stepped from the ship, flanked by two guards, a few handmaidens, and an R2 droid with blue and white markings on its side.

Obi-Wan Kenobi watched from his perch atop a tower. His electro-binoculars were zoomed on the beautiful figure that was Queen Amidala. He thoughtfully scanned the lake behind the transport, his mind gears twirling. This had to work.

Obi-Wan?s commlink signaled him. He answered it quickly; knowing it could mean this mission could either fail or succeed. "Kikerio?"

"Yes, Sir. "

"Are things going as they should?"

"No intruders, Sir. The explosion should occur any second, judging by all other attacks. "

"This had better work," Obi-Wan muttered as he attached his commlink back to his belt. He mentally counted, and when he got to five an explosion threw him backwards into the wall that was circular around him.

~*~*~*~

There were screams and running confusions. Obi-Wan checked his brace once, then ran down the tower as fast as he could, his lightsaber banging against his thigh. He had to make sure it had worked, he had to make sure everything had gone according to plan. He would just die if he had failed.

He exited the tower at a dead sprint. He raced towards the fallen bodies, not at all taking notice of them. His eyes quickly found the thing he was looking for. Hoping it was active, he ran to it, using the way to speed him up. Shivers attacked him as he fell to a knee beside it, his braced leg up as to not to aggravate the injury.

He knew then that he had failed.

He didn?t need to open the box to know the camera inside had not done its job. Whoever had set the bomb to the ship was too fast and cunning for the camera.

His task done, Obi-Wan, running a hand through his hair.

"General Kenobi!"

Obi-Wan sighed. The person calling him was Kikerio, his second-in-command. She was beckoning him to a figure lying on the ground. Feeling through the way, Obi-Wan could tell that the woman was hurt. Not that hurt, but just enough to cause concern.

Obi-Wan jogged over. Padme Amidala lay on the ground, her breathing labored and her face gashed open. Her brown hair was mused, and her headdress was askew. The white paint she wore was now covered in dirt, and blood trailed from her lips. He looked down the length of her body and saw red staining her black outfit at the stomach.

"Sola?" he asked the woman gently. "Sola, where are you hurt?"

The woman?s brown eyes mirrored Amidala?s, but they were not. Queen Amidala was on Coruscant, visiting the Supreme Chancellor. This injured woman was not Amidala. This woman was Amidala?s older sister, Sola. Her eyes were closed in pain.

Obi-Wan glanced at Kikerio. "Get a medic. "

Nodding, Kikerio shot away.

"Sola, can you hear me?"

The woman nodded. "The armor held out," she whispered breathlessly. "I won?t die." Suddenly, her hand shot out and grasped Obi-Wan?s wrist. "Did you catch them? Did it work?"

Ashamed, Obi-Wan dropped his head. "No, Sola. The camera caught nothing."

A pained cry came from Sola?s lips. "Then we have- we have to try again!" She struggled to rise, but coughed and laid back. "Please, General. Padme?she can?t be hurt. "

Obi-Wan gripped Sola?s arm. "We will, M?Lady. Now, ssshhh. You need rest now. We tried."

Just then, Kikerio raced back, a medic in tow.

Obi-Wan released Sola and backed away.

Padme Amidala would not be happy.

~*~*~*~

Queen Amidala was due to return in an hour. General Obi-Wan Kenobi walked slowly around the lake his steps deliberate. The black leg brace on his right leg shone in the soft sunlight of Naboo. He watched his reflection in the water, and chuckled a bit.

He hadn?t changed at all for three years. Well, his hair had grown longer and was a bit shaggy in the back, but he like it. His eyes, too,

8. LittleJedi

LittleJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    I love where this is going! :D You write well, and I have no difficulty picturing the story. :D

I have trouble imagining Obi-Wan scampering though. ;) :p

LittleJedi

9. bobilll

bobilll Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    Oh my gosh, I love this story! It's so dramatic! Obi-wan, lose to anger like this? And Padme... Oh my gosh, she REALLY blew up on him!

So is Qui-gon and Anakin the Jedi who Padme called? This could be really bad!

10. KrystalBlaze

Aug 3, 2002
    Hi, guys, here's the next part and I hope you enjoy!

BREATHE
    PART THREE:

COLLISONS

Qui-Gon was fuming with anger as he threw things into his pack. He wanted to tear the room apart. How dare the Council insult Anakin like that? it wasn?t right as all!

Anakin was slinking around, carefully folding things into his pack. He was careful to stay clear of Qui-Gon?s room.

Finally, Qui-Gon zipped up the case. Anakin had finished a long time ago and was quietly going over his notes for his classes. Qui-Gon swung the pack over his shoulder and walked into Anakin apartment. "Anakin, come on," he said in a loud voice. Anakin, accustomed to the silence, winced as he stood and walked behind Qui-Gon out of their joined apartments.

"Master?" Anakin asked hesitantly.

"Yes?" As Qui-Gon said the last word, his tone softened and warmth filled his voice. Anakin noticed the change in his voice, and his eyes lit up and he hid a smile. He loved being Qui-Gon?s focal point, just as he had been with his mother. Thinking of his mother brought a pang to his heart, but he forced himself to ask a question.

"Master, are we going on a mission?"

Immediately, Qui-Gon felt ashamed. Of course he should have told Anakin first. Everything needed to be told to Anakin first. Anakin was important.

"Yes, Anakin." They exited the place and headed towards a transport that had been assigned to them. "Actually, this mission takes place on Naboo."

Anakin almost stopped dead. He had to command his legs to move. His tongue went dry and he started to sweat. He brought up his mental shields and blocked Qui-Gon from his thoughts and emotions. An image of beauty filled his mind, and he almost smiled.

"Will we see Padme again?" he asked casually as they walked up the ramp into the small ship.

"Queen Amidala," Qui-Gon corrected.

"Queen Amidala." Anakin said the name as though he were saying it for the first time. He let it roll off his tongue and hang in the air. He dreamed of Padme often and all of the dreams ended with beautiful images of her in his head. How he missed her and how he loved her.

"Yes, Padawan," Qui-Gon replied with a smile as they slid into some seats. He nodded at the pilot, who smiled at them cheerfully as he jumped into the cockpit and took off. "Queen Amidala has been the target of many assassination attempts. We?re going to have to get to the bottom of this before the assassin strikes again. I?m sure she?ll be happy to see you."

"And you," Anakin retorted with a smile. " You did save her life."

Something like a shadow crossed Qui-Gon?s face and Anakin knew he had said something wrong. Qui-Gon turned away from his Padawan and stared out the window as they flew into the starry sky.

"And almost ended my own," he whispered.

~*~*~*~

The pain was so unbearable. Qui-Gon?s stomach was on fire. He could feel the Force slowly leaving his body. At the same time, he could feel it beckoning to him, calling to him. It wanted him to close his eyes and admit defeat. Qui-Gon tried to gather strength around him, but the pain jabbed persistently and allowed him no control over anything.

" Master!" A second later Obi-Wan crashed to his knees beside him. He gathered Qui-Gon head in his arms and cradled him, struggling not to cry. At the same time he called on his own great power and brought it to touch Qui-Gon?s wound.

"Don?t, Padawan," Qui-Gon gasped, each word bringing excruciating pain to his abdomen. "My time has come."

"No, Master, no," Obi-Wan sobbed. He persisted and refused to give up. His own dwindling power forcefully clamped around Qui-Gon?s wound and began to heal it slowly.

"You?ll kill yourself," Qui-Gon panted. The thought of Obi-Wan dying to save him was even more painful than his stomach wound. He reached up with his last strength and grasped Obi-Wan?s wrist. "Please."

"You won?t die, Master," Obi-Wan said. His voice seemed to come in through a long tunnel. His image was getting fuzzy. Qui-Gon kept his eyes open wide so they wouldn?t close. H

11. bobilll

Aug 8, 2002
    You dare leave us with a cliffie like that? Argh! What's gonna happen? Is Qui-gon going to burst again? What about Anakin? Surely he remembers the man. Or is he a bit too smitten?

Could Obi-wan's defiance a year ago have anything to do with Anakin? As in a premonition? Or did he just go insane? Is he normal now, or is he pretending?

I love questions.

12. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    Wow, this is great. Keep up the great work.

J_J

13. KrystalBlaze

Aug 3, 2002
    NExt part b/c I'm bored. Thanks for the feedback!

Disclaimer: the title is the line of a song called "Sorry" by Our Lady Peace. Raine Maida wrote the song.

BREATHE
    PART FOUR:

TODAY?S THE STRIKE OF A MATCH

Him.

For a second Qui-Gon could not move. He just stood there dumbly, staring at Obi-Wan, taking in the sight of him and angered to see him alive. At the very least Qui-Gon had hoped he had been killed.

Obi-Wan certainly had changed. His face was still youthful, but Qui-Gon could see the jaded look in his eyes and the lines in Obi-Wan?s face. He looked weathered. His clothing was no longer that of a Jedi, but of a soldier?s. His boots were knee high and his pants black and made of leather. His shirt was black and made of a fine material that kept him equally warm and cool. Over that he wore a silver leather vest that hugged him tightly. Qui-Gon frowned at the leg brace. He looked formal as he stood on Amidala?s right, hands folded behind him.

Qui-Gon caught a hold of his mind and walked quickly to catch up with Anakin and the guard. He still could not take his eyes off of Obi-Wan. He stared determinedly forward, out a stained glass window.

Anakin was grinning as he bowed to Amidala, who was examining him with great care. Qui-Gon followed his Padawan and bowed, his eyes never once leaving Obi-Wan.

"Master Jinn?" Amidala asked, incredulous. "Annie? Is it really you? " Her eyes were shining and she stood, rushing down to meet her visitors. Qui-Gon noticed that Obi-Wan signaled to a female at his side. The female gave him a dirty look brimmed with affection, but flanked Amidala from ten feet off, her pistol at ready.

Amidala looked marvelous. She was not as done up as usual, but she was still in her usual splendor. She wore a black feathery dress with intricate designs down the front, depicting images of flowers and waterfalls. Her hair was curled in a simple bun at the back of her head, held with a beautiful glass blue hairpin in the shape of a bird. The dress was elegant, let allowed her room to run if needed. What they didn?t know was that Kikerio had selected the dress for her. It was a dress that a Queen needed, yet would also be effective if a need to run was fronted.

Qui-Gon forced his eyes away from Obi-Wan and shook the hand Amidala offered him. "It is a pleasure to see you again, Your Majesty," he said generously, well aware that Obi-Wan could hear. "I am happy to be serving you again. It is an honor to be back on Naboo and find you in good health. "

"The honor is mine, Master Jedi," Amidala replied. She turned to Anakin, her eyes lighting up. " Oh, Annie, you?ve grown! "

"Thanks," Anakin said his smile almost as wide as hers.

"Have you fulfilled your promise, Annie? Are you a great Jedi Knight now?"

Qui-Gon peered at Anakin. "No, not yet," Anakin said happily. "But I will be one day. "

"I?m glad to hear that," Amidala said. She turned back, her mouth open, her eyes on Obi-Wan, prepared to call him to her.

"Your Majesty, " Kikerio said, jumping in front of Amidala, blocking Obi-Wan from view. "I suggest we leave this open area to the draw room. There is less chance of an attack there. "

Amidala looked at her funny, but nodded anyway. She swept a hand to Kikerio. "This is Lieutenant Kikerio Tekra."

"Pleased, " Kikerio said shortly, nodding at the pair. "Let?s go Your Majesty." Kikerio motioned to some other guards and they shot forward to surround the trio. Kikerio led the way.

Qui-Gon glanced back to the throne.

Obi-Wan was gone.

~*~*~*~

Obi-Wan paced outside of the throne room, silently debating. Should he go the draw room and claim his place as Amidala?s General of the Naboo Security Force? Should he show himself to Qui-Gon? What would Qui-Gon do?

Obi-Wan had seen the bafflement in Qui-Gon?s eyes when he had walked into the throne room. Obi-Wan had felt the Jedi the minute the ship touched down. He had done his best to shield himself from the Jedi Master, but apparently, he was not to be fooled. He ha

14. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    This is a wonderful story! :)

I'm looking forward to seeing the Jedi's reaction at seeing eachother again.

15. bobilll

Aug 8, 2002
    For a second I thought that Kikerio was making up the attack to get Kenobi in the room! Ugh, this is not good, former master and apprentice in the same room! How will they survive? Escpecially with Padme bossing them around?

16. KrystalBlaze

Aug 3, 2002
    Well, thanks for all the kind feedback! Here's the next part.

Disclaimer: the title comes from a WWF PPV preview.

BREATHE

PART FIVE:

RESPECT THE GAME

The palace halls were clear. Obi-Wan led the way, a blaster in his fist. He knew the palace the best, and Qui-Gon was forced to let him lead. Qui-Gon still stuck to Obi-Wan, not letting five feet get between them. He knew that Obi-Wan was irritated with him for that, but Qui-Gon couldn?t help it. His lightsaber was held close in front of him, and it almost was touching Obi-Wan?s back. Privately, Qui-Gon was hoping that Obi-Wan would jerk back into his saber.

"You can make the evacuation notice from the throne room," Obi-Wan explained to Amidala.

"How is that?" she asked doubtfully.

"M?Lady, the throne room is not only used for you to greet visitors."

"How do you mean?" They were nearing the throne room. Obi-Wan?s tension level rose. He prayed the fighting had not gotten past the barrier. He wanted to be out there in the fray, but he knew that Queen Amidala was his first priority.

"There was a public service system installed last year," Obi-Wan said.

"What? " Amidala seemed completely baffled. " What? Why wasn?t I told?"

"Your Majesty, " Obi-Wan said calmly, "It has a very low power supply. You will have time to make a thirty- second speech. I?m afraid we?ll have to head to the Security Office if you wish to make it longer."

Amidala glared at him. "You should have told me."

"We were, M?Lady. Some thought it would embarrassing if you knew. "

"Why?"

"We installed it ourselves," Obi-Wan said. " I gave the OK for it. Some security officers thought it would be a nice surprise. "

"Oh." Amidala looked like she wanted to laugh.

"Quiet," Obi-Wan suddenly hushed. He peered around the corner. He saw frenzy as maids rushed to the doors, struggling to get out. "No, no," Obi-Wan muttered. He stuffed his blaster back in his belt. " Your Majesty, I?ll show you the microphone for you to speak into, but I?ve got to sort this out."

"Of course," Amidala said.

Obi-Wan glanced at Qui-Gon. " Shut it off," he ordered.

"But why?" Anakin blurted.

Qui-Gon felt anger grill through him. Who was Obi-Wan to give him orders?

"Do you want to cause even more of a panic?" he demanded, nodding to the frantic maids. "They can?t get out that way. I?ve got to lead them out. "

Qui-Gon stood, precious seconds ticking away. He hated himself, but he saw Obi-Wan?s logic. Yes, the man was good, which made him even more deadly. He deactivated his lightsaber. Anakin fumed, but deactivated his as well.

Amidala was well aware of the tension between the former Master and Padawan. She let them glare each other for a full minute before she raised her arm between them. "General, please," she said in a hushed way. "The evacuation notice."

Obi-Wan?s eyes flickered. He nodded at Qui-Gon curtly as stepped from behind the corner. A maid cried out as she pointed to them. Immediately they all started to rush to them, crying out. Obi-Wan pointed over the mob towards a pillar by the stairwell. " From the bottom, count fifteen palms up." He glanced at Qui-Gon?s large hands, then at Anakin?s. He pointed to the boy. "Let him do it. Press it hard. Thirty seconds, Your Majesty. "

He didn?t wait for a response but strolled forward, raising his arms up to avert the group of twenty or so maids. Most of them saw and instantly grew quiet at the sight of a figure they knew so well. He waved his arm, motioning them to follow him. Amidala nodded encouragingly as she made her way to the pillar quickly. The group veered off after Obi-Wan.

Qui-Gon was amazed at the calming effect that Obi-Wan had over the maids. Apparently, Obi-Wan was well loved here on Naboo. It made him realize that maybe there was still heart in his former Padawan. The simple act of taking charge made Qui-Gon realize the effect his training had had on Obi-Wan, and made him wonder what had steered Obi-Wan off the course in the first place. He watched as Obi-Wan led to m

17. MysticalMagic

MysticalMagic Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 16, 2002
    WOW!!!! this story is great KrystalBlaze
    *MM*

18. bobilll

Aug 8, 2002
    What's happening to Obi-wan? Why is that meanie guy hurting him? I don't like this growing animosity between the two Jedi. They really need to hug and make up.

19. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    Oh wow... that was awesome. Great work.

J_J

20. KrystalBlaze

Aug 3, 2002
    Thanks for the wonderful comments,they're always appreciated.

Disclaimer- the name of this part comes from the Linkin Park song Crawling, written by Chester Bennington... I think.

BREATHE

PART SIX:

THIS LACK OF SELF-CONTROL I FEAR IS NEVER ENDING

The pain was growing.

Obi-Wan gritted his teeth. His side ached, his arms burned, his bad leg throbbed. His chest felt tight as he started to wheeze, struggling to take in a decent breath. He knew then that he had been fighting for at least forty-five minutes. It could be as long as one hour. His endurance was high, but this was too much. This was far too much.

Where was everybody? Why couldn?t they help him? He didn?t dare reach for his commlink. He had been going at a tremendously slow jog for the last ten minutes, deflecting bolts as they droids began to chase him. They were a long way off, but still, it was a narrow hall he was in, and they were gaining as he started to lag. Soon he would have to stop.

The Force buzzed around him, guiding his hands as he zigzagged across the hall. The shots were being fired one after another. But no matter how strong he was in the Force, his weakened state dimmed his connection. It still aided him, but he was growing slower and his arms were growing heavier. His ragged wheezes came in short gasps. He wanted to just fall down and rest. He almost considered that. He didn?t fear death. He wouldn?t like this form of death, but if it eased the pain, it might be worth it.

Suddenly he spotted a stairwell, and he realized he was back in the throne room at the back. He hugged the wall as he slowed to a walk. The wall would end suddenly, he knew, and would turn into the banister of the stairwell. The shots grew more persistent, but he knew if he ducked behind the corner and ran at a full sprint up the stairs, he would distance himself greatly between the fighters and have time to comm for help.

Gathering his strength, he turned sharply around the corner and onto the bottom step of the stairs. He tucked his lightsaber onto his belt and sprinted, as fast as his tired body would allow. He was lucky the stairs only had two flights of twenty-five steps each. He didn?t stop when he reached the second floor of the palace. Instead, he continued to sprint down the hall until he came to an open door. He ducked inside and shut the door as quietly as he could.

He leaned down, his hands on his knees. He could feel the sweat dripping from his hair onto the carpet. He collapsed down to the ground, trying to control his breathing. He put his knees up and stuck his head between them, his breathing slowing as he grasped the Force. But now he didn?t know if he would be able to get up.

Using his right arm, he peeled off his commlink. He punched a frequency. "Kikerio?" he gasped, his voice harsh and breathless.

"Obi-Wan, where are you?" He could hear the deep concern in her voice.

"What?s happened?" he asked instead.

"We?re still keeping the droids at bay. None have entered the palace-"

"I?ve been fighting droids in the palace for at least the last half-hour. They?re now in the throne room. I think they?re coming up to the second floor." He stopped and erupted into coughs, his throat and tongue parched.

"General, are you all right? We?ve lost five guards, and sixteen are injured. I sent someone to gather more forces. The Naboo Reserve Army is assembling."

"Can you send up someone to help me?" Obi-Wan knew he sounded weak, but he knew he would be overcome if no one helped him.

"Where are you?" Kikerio asked immediately.

"Second floor," he said, glancing around. "In Sio Bibble?s office. "

"I?ll send a force up immediately. Are you injured?"

"Just exhausted. How?s everyone holding out?"

"We?re not as exhausted as you, General, believe me."

"The Queen?"

"I thought she was with you." There was panic in the Lieutenant?s voice. Obi-Wan heard shouts behind her.

"I had to lead some maids out when the droids attacked. I haven?t seen her." He hesitated. "I left he

21. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    I was just worrying today that this story had died on fanfiction.net! But I see its alive and thriving here! Yippee! :D

22. snowbee-wan kenobi

snowbee-wan kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2000
    Wow!
    This is a great story so far....
    This is a great idea!
    KEEP IT UP!
    More soon?
    -s-wk

23. snowbee-wan kenobi

snowbee-wan kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2000
    uppers!
    more soon KrystalBlaze?

24. bobilll

Aug 8, 2002
    Wow, you right combat so well! I could never have that kind of description in my writing.

Poor Obi-wan! Did he fall all the way down the palace? And Qui-gon can only think that he won't be of any use anymore? Talk about cold! Then again, what else is new?

25. KrystalBlaze

Aug 3, 2002
    Next part, yea! Thanks for the comments, everyone, they're greatly appreciated!

Disclaimer:The title of the part comes from the Goo Goo Dolls' song "Bullet Proof" from the 'Dizzy Up the Girl" CD.

BREATHE
    PART SEVEN:

WOULD YOU LIKE TO LOSE CONTROL?

Qui-Gon lay in his bed, staring at the ceiling. Usually he could sleep whenever he commanded his body and mind to, but tonight something was wrong. He could feel a vague sense of fright, and a vague sense of anger. He glanced at Obi-Wan across the way to make sure he was still breathing. He was grateful to see his apprentice?s chest slowly rising and falling.

Whenever he looked at Obi-Wan, his heart ached with love. This young man had saved him from certain death. He had taken some of Qui-Gon?s wound and had washed it upon himself. They had shared the wound. Qui-Gon felt proud every time he looked at Obi-Wan. He owed this man everything.

Yet he also was worried whenever he cast his eyes on his Padawan. Obi-Wan had not woken from his slumber since the Naboo starship had brought his body to the Temple. That had been two weeks ago. Qui-Gon had awoken six days ago and there was still no change in Obi-Wan. The Temple Healer Veira Dirmond had told him Obi-Wan?s vitals were good and he should awake any day. Everyday he didn?t was a torture to the Jedi Master.

He wondered his vague feelings were coming from Obi-Wan. He examined the young man. He seemed completely peaceful in the bed. There were pulsars on his bare chest, temples and on his neck. There was a tube down his throat and a long white bandage wrapped around his stomach. Other than that, his color was ashy and he seemed somewhat frail. They had been watering and feeding him through an IV tube, but that was taken away at night.

Qui-Gon could not throw away his sense of unease. Was Obi-Wan dreaming? Could those possibly the feelings he felt? They were certainly not his own. His fright was wide in the open. He didn?t hide this feeling. Every Master in the Temple knew how he loved Obi-Wan as a son. Even if the fright was his, he wasn?t angry in the slightest. Well, he was angry with himself for not protecting Obi-Wan as he should have, but he knew that wasn?t it.

He decided it was Obi-Wan and he was dreaming. He didn?t know of what, but it pleased him that at least Obi-Wan?s mind was active.

Suddenly a machine coming from Obi-Wan began to ring. Qui-Gon hurled himself into a sitting position and immediately pressed his CALL button. He snapped his light on and watched as Obi-Wan began to struggle against the machines. He could hear funny chokes coming from his Padawan.

Qui-Gon counted to five and hurled himself up. His body roared fury, but he threw himself forward and clutched the edge of Obi-Wan?s bed, locking his knees. He reached up and snapped on Obi-Wan?s light. He watched the heart monitor making jagged jumps.

He glanced to the door and saw the lights starting to come on. He saw Veira Dirmond and her apprentice come rushing into the room and straight to Obi-Wan?s bed. "You shouldn?t be up," Veira said, as she came around to the other side of Obi-Wan?s bed. She examined the monitors as the apprentice produced a chair for Qui-Gon to sit in. He collapsed into it heavily.

"What?s wrong, Veira?" he asked, his voice showing his fear.

Veira checked Obi-Wan?s vital signs then just looked at him for a second. "He seems to be waking up," she said in a shaky voice. "He?s fighting the machines but his brain shows no sign of waking. "

"What does that mean?"

Veira thought for a minute. "His body is ready to be off the monitors," she said with a sigh. "But his mind is not ready to wake. "

Qui-Gon held in his groan of frustration. He watched Veira withdraw the tube from Obi-Wan?s mouth. His heart leapt when his apprentice began to cough. He prayed that any second now Obi-Wan would open his eyes. He waited for a minute while Obi-Wan coughed. Suddenly his Padawan stilled and began to breathe normally.

Veira sighed and saw the devastated look in the other Je

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.