main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Night- vignette, JA, AU, angst, Qui's POV

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by obi-wannabe_1138, Dec 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obi-wannabe_1138

obi-wannabe_1138 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 31, 2002
    OK well this is one of my two new shorty fics that I've had waiting. I couldn't decide which to type out- whether I wanted blind!Obi or suicidal!Obi and finally settled on this one. ;) Sort of inspired by the very kind and talented LuvEwan, this little ficlet should really be part of a larger story which I have no time to write. Without further ado......

Night

My heart aches as I sit here tonight, watching over my Padawan. Things have been so strained between us lately, though not for lack of care on either side. Unintentionally, I have hurt or insulted him at times. I can't help it- day and night I worry about him. Even though I know Obi-Wan is proud and strong, I worry still. he hates that, but there's no way that I can simply stop. He isn't just my student, he's my son, and all I have left since Tahl died. If what happened to her should happen to him, I would not survive. I say "if," though really it has started already. My soul cries out against the string of injustices that have been dealt him lately. Whether or not Obi-Wan wants it, I feel the need to protect him. It's been a source of conflict between us for the past few months, ever since he was blinded on our last mission, to Ithor.

It happened when he sacrificed himself for me. Arsonists had attacked the planetary Governor's home. My Padawan dived back into the flames in my place to rescue someone who was trapped. I should have been the one to do so. Obi-Wan, talented though he is, could not handle it. He saved the Ithorian but could not save himself. He still has the scars on his face from the burns. I glance down at my Apprentice's sleeping form. Sometimes it seems almost as if destiny itself has singled him out in order to toy with him. Gladly would I take his place, rather than see him suffer. But all I can do is try my best to help him.

Obi-Wan won't accept my help. He doesn't want to be sheltered, or treated differently than anyone else. He is different, though. I can't explain it in a way that won't offend him, but it's the truth. He refuses to let anything stand in the way of his dream to become a Jedi, no matter how much he feels he must push himself. I cannot convince him to take a break. Obi-Wan says he needs to work harder, to prove himself worthy. He wants so much to be self-sufficient. He doesn't realize how proud I am of him exactly as he is.

Just today I found him, unconscious, curled up on the floor in one of the sparring gyms, with a long burn running down his chest. His ability to reach for the Force in combat is incredible, but like everyone he still makes the occasional misstep. He doesn't want to allow for even one mistake. It hurt me to find my Padawan like that. He hates being coddled and fussed over, but I could not possibly leave him like that. Without waking him, I took him home and put him to bed. I'd hoped that tonight his rest would not be plagued by nightmares or visions. I was wrong.

As Obi-Wan has grown stronger in the use of the Force, the Force in turn has begun to use him, like a tool. It's necessary, I know, but it still pains me because it's so hard on him. The visions, terrible in themselves, are often accompanied by fever or dizziness. I wish it could be me instead. But my strength is not in the Unifying Force like his. Tonight was particularly bad. No sooner had the visions started than I felt the familiar waves of fear echoing through our bond. For the first time in a long time, Obi-Wan called for me. He called for me, in his sleep- but still, for once he wasn't ashamed to need me. Finally, there was something, however small and insignificant, that I could do for him. I was by his side almost before he'd even called out. No power in the universe could have kept me from my son at that time.

"It's all right, my child," I told him, hugging him. Obi-Wan shuddered. I held him until the dreams passed, and he awakened. Frightened, but aware, he told me of what he'd seen. It's always the same- the darkness and the endless winter night that seeks t

2. Cascadia

Cascadia Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Quite touching. I always adore the father/son aspect of Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan's relationship. And this was beautifully done.

3. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    Whoa!! Nice!!

4. Jedi_Suzuran

Jedi_Suzuran Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2002
    Very touching, o-w, and sad. :(

Great job. :)

5. sheleigh

sheleigh Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2002
    Postively magnificent, OW.

Heartbreaking... just loved it.

Bravo! :)

6. astroanna

astroanna Jedi Master star 4

Jul 8, 2002
    Very sad, obi-wannabe, and very nicely done...

:)

It really shows Obi-Wan's independent streak, and Qui-Gon's fatherly instinct...

A very common conflict between teens and their parents, and it was very well portrayed here, obi-wannabe..

Well done!

:)

7. Mertroid

Mertroid Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 29, 2002
    Nicely done. Great job. You surely know Obi-Wan well. :D

8. Wild_Huntress

Wild_Huntress Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    Cascadia: WOw you actually reviewed one of my fics.... [face_blush] Thanks so much!
    Arwen: Thank you. ;)
    JS: Thank you. I try my best to make things moving, so thanks a bunch.
    Sheleigh: Thanks! Ditto marks for above reply!
    Astro: Thank you! I may be writing fluffy Qui-Gon but I don't care, I like it! :D
    Mertroid: Thanks a lot! That means a lot to me because I'm not always sure how well I manage to keep characters true to their character. ;)

9. obi-wannabe_1138

obi-wannabe_1138 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 31, 2002
  10. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Oh my gosh! That was just beautiful! It just lanced through my heart. (That's a good thing! ;) ) Can't wait for your other vignette, especially since this one was so remarkable!!! [face_love]

11. Wild_Huntress

Jul 15, 2002
    Eep! A bit late but thanks for checking this out LE. ;) Up!

12. padawan3

padawan3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 20, 1999
    Awwww. That was so sweet. I think I am going to cry. I need a tish.

13. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    :( Padawan3 could you pass those tissues around? Very sad and moving!

14. padawan3

padawan3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 20, 1999
    Sure. I have allergies, huge stockpile at my house.

15. Wild_Huntress

Jul 15, 2002
    Thanks all, I'm just randomly upping stuff. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.