main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

02 12" Jango and 96 12" Boba - How do they compare?

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by Almighty_Sith_Droid, May 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Almighty_Sith_Droid

Almighty_Sith_Droid Jedi Youngling

Apr 20, 2002
    I have the 12" poseable Jango Fett from last year, and I'm wondering how the 97 collector 12" poseable Boba compares to it?

Anyone out there have both or even just the Boba and have an opinion?

Thank you very much for the help!

2. Stridarious

Stridarious Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 27, 2002
    Anyone out there have both or even just the Boba and have an opinion?

No, I am sorry I do not. :( Unless you referring to the action figures. How big is 12"? :confused:

3. Darth Jamus

Darth Jamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2000
    Well, the 1997 version of the 12 inch Boba Fett was a horror to behold in my opinion. [face_shocked] The body is not one of the skinny, more poseable bodies like the Ultimate Jango is, but rather one of those thicker, 'harder to pose in any good position' kind of figures. It does still have joints at the wirsts and elbows though, unlike the first four ultra crap figures released in 1996! The helmet is way too small, being the actual size that the head should be. If the helmet would have been removable, I would hate to have seen the mis-proportioned head that was under it! [face_laugh]

The armor is nowhere near as cool as Ultimate Jango either. It is stiched onto the clothing by the corners. The torso armor does not wrap around the body like Jango's, and the shoulder piece doesn't lay down over the over-done neck-shoulder muscles of the base figure. The wrist armor only covers the front of the forearm, not the back and is stitched on by threads colored to match the plastic. Ugh! The silver paint scratches are also way overdone, and sloppily applied!

The ONLY good thing about this figure is the belt, cape, gun, and backpack! The Electronic figure a few years later was the exact same, but had a larger, more correct head and some electronic sayings and sound effects. All in all, this is the Boba to get, not the crummy original 1997 version! If you have the money, get the Marmit version and forego the crummy Hasbro versions all together! ;)

Click here to go to Sir Steves Guide and view the figure. At the bottom of the page, click the link entitled "boxed front" to view a true representation of the piece of crud figure! The first link on the page entitled "loose front" shows the prototype figure that is very different from the actual release!

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I have Jango and the Electronic Boba. I like both about the same (favorites) but at least you can see what is under Jango's helmet.
    I also have Electronic Jango and he is better than Electronic Boba as far as the range of sounds go. I like Electronic Boba's look more, however. If they had put the electronics into Ultimate Jango in the first place I think they might have had a winner.

Edit - typos

5. Darth-MF

Darth-MF Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2003
    I have the 12" Ultimate Jango and the Power of the Force Electronic Boba. I bought the PotF Boba because he can be modified to look just like the Marmit very easily. There is an excellent GI JOE 12" body that they use for a Navy character and is just as good as the Jango body as well as the same height.

I'll post some pics when I am done converting the PotF Boba to Jango specs.

Great forum by the way! :)

6. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    I have all of these figures and I like the Ultimate Jango the most even though those darn shin and knee pieces keep falling off !!!

7. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Yeah Mike, for the price of that figure you would think the armor would fit a bit better.
    And I never did get the holster belt to fasten properly in the back - I got one peg to go into the hole but couldn't get the rest. Electronic Boba is much better in that respect - not as fiddly!

8. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    I have the 12" Electronic Boba. I have seen the old '97 edition. Its a piece of junk.

I've seen alot of criticism about Ultimate Jango's armor and accesories. The only problem I had with this toy was that it took me almost 2 hours to get it all out of the box.

The armor pieces snapped on cleanly and snugly. I had to work with the belts a little...but got them on secureley as well. I even got the shinguards on right, too.

You have to tuck his pants leg into his boot. Then you have to really force the shinguard onto his leg so it conforms to the shape of his boot.

Frustrating...but it can be done.

9. Almighty_Sith_Droid

Apr 20, 2002
    Thanks for the replies!

It sounds like if I'm going to go for one of the Boba's, the Electronic version is the way to Go. The GI Joe body is a great idea too!

Does anyone have the Marmit version? There's a bit of a price climb because of the rarity and import aspect, but maybe it's something I could save up for if it's really a great piece.

Who knows. Maybe we'll even see a new 12" Boba in the US one day. Guess that depends on whether we'll see a grownup Boba in Ep III. No telling about that!

10. Darth Jamus

Darth Jamus Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 1, 2000
    I have the Marmit Boba. It is well worth the money and is the closest you can possibly get to the movie verion in accuracy and proper scale. Even the Ultimate Jango suffers from a helmet that is too large and armor that doesn't fit nearly as snuggly as the Marmit. It still looks good mind you, but holds no candle next to the Marmit version. Be warned though, that Marmits require some assembly, the instructions are pictures with Japanese text, and are difficult to get assembled. Once assembled, you won't be putting it back in its package either. They are made for display, so they have a higher breakability factor than the Hasbro offerings. Take care of them! Just food for thought, but I love mine and have never regretted the expensive purchase!

11. Darth-Clossinius

Darth-Clossinius Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 2, 2002
    The POTF Boba is disgusting in comparison to the 2002 Jango.

I bought a Boba off eBay, and a Jango during $20 clearance, and I used parts from each and customized my own ROTJ Boba...

Here are some pics of it:

[image=http://www.dansjp3page.com/hosting/SiteC/SWpix/Boba2.jpg]

[image=http://www.dansjp3page.com/hosting/SiteC/SWpix/Boba4.jpg]

[image=http://www.dansjp3page.com/hosting/SiteC/SWpix/Boba5.jpg]

I repainted it with Acrylic paints from the craft dept. of Walmart, and gave the soft goods jumpsuit a bath in acrylic paint as well, to make it more worn and movie colored..instead of the weird white it was. The figure is comprised of the following parts:

Jango Parts:
    Head
    Body
    Chest Armor
    Gauntlets/Hands
    Helmet
    Jetpack
    Knee Pads

Boba Parts:
    Jumpsuit
    Boots
    Wookiee/Padawan Braids
    Cape (weathered)
    Crotch Pad
    Belts

Seeing as I like my 12" figures to look like dolls, and not mini-me costumes as the Marmits are, I think it looks great. I wanted a Boba in my collection, but I could not stomach that Kenner one, so with a little time and effort, I made my own. Right now I'm working on a furry Chewbacca, and its taken me 2 weeks so far to install the hair on it...It will be worth it though, just like it was for this Fett...

So, if you want a 12" Boba...make your own.....

12. Silac5

Silac5 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 12, 2001
    That is impressive. Great Job.

13. Darth-MF

Darth-MF Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2003
    Great job Darth-Clossinius. I'll post a few pics when I get my custom Boba finished.

14. Almighty_Sith_Droid

Apr 20, 2002
    Wow! Darth-Clossinius, that looks awsome! What a great idea too. If I were to build a Boba who only looked half as great as the one you made, I would be very happy!

Thanks for sharing!

15. Darth-Clossinius

Darth-Clossinius Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 2, 2002
    Thanks for the kind words guys!! I appreciate it! Here are a few more pictures too, one showing the detail on the shoulder and chest:

[image=http://www.dansjp3page.com/hosting/SiteC/SWpix/Boba3.jpg]

[image=http://www.dansjp3page.com/hosting/SiteC/SWpix/Boba6.jpg]

If you want, I can take another picture later of Boba standing next to his daddy for a comparison..

16. PhantomMenace

PhantomMenace Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 20, 2001
    I've got that Boba still in the box. He's awesome in my opinion. He was freakin' hard to find back when they were out.

17. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    I just got the 12 inch Jango today for 10.50. It looks great but the leg armor and the holster do not fit on his body very good. I finaly got it all on and put him on my self next to Dooku. I'm afraid that if I touch him all of armor will fall off.

Still worth the 10 bucks I paid for it.

18. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    GOBI

As I stated earlier in the thread...it's possible to get that Jango looking like he just stepped out of the movie. All it takes is a little....no...A LOT of patience and some finger busting work.

It took me close to 2 hours to get everything out of the box! Frustrating...but worth it.

After you get the figure out, take a knife or some kind of long thin screwdriver and tuck Jango's pants leg into his boots.

After you finish this, then take his shin guards and try to line them up as best you can so its on a straight line. Use the box as reference.

Now...take one shinguard, and bend it outward...like you were trying to get it to concave the opposite way. You have to really put your back..uhhh...fingers into it!

I know it may seem that you are going to break it...but it pays off. Once you got the shinguard almost flat. Slap it onto his shin and apply some pressure to it.

Hold it there for about a minute. The shinguard will try to re-establish its former shape...and TA-DA!!! It wraps snugly around his shin.

The rest of his armor pieces, I just pushed them on really hard.

Sadly, I have no advice for the holster straps other than just keep at it until you get em fastened.

DARTH COLISINIUS
    Bravo...wonderful job on the custom Boba. Can't wait to see your Chewie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.