main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MS Update (02-May -> 25-Apr) Update Squad Mod

Discussion in 'Communications' started by dp4m, May 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    But even if you get revenge you're not gonna remember it. You're not even going to know that it happened.
    Problem users were erased from our consciousness.

If we talk for too long, I'll forget how we started. Next time I see you, I'm not gonna remember this conversation. I don't even know if I've met you before.
    • This should serve as a gentle reminder of the VIP Code of Conduct. Our VIPs are expected to comport themselves in a manner consistent with their status and failure to do so will result in the removal of the VIP status.

• A discussion was started by gabe as a checkpoint towards whether we have too many VIPs on the site. We evaluated the numbers and pretty much came to the conclusion that the perceptions don't really match the realities. We only have about 20 "longer-term" VIPs (game hosts, EUC Senate, etc.) out of the thousands upon thousands of other users on the site, with a limited number of other game winners and banner contest winners for a still small number of overall VIPs. So, basically, status quo FTW!

I always thought the joy of reading a book is not knowing what happens next.
    A discussion was continued in the MS on the "Future of Fan Sites" by DVeditor. To that end, in order to try and stimulate the community, there will be a "Fan Site of the Month" contest being started (or perhaps already started). Head on over to Fan Sites and take a look around.

Facts, not memories. That's how you investigate. I know, it's what I used to do.
    The topic of sexual harassment came up, both in Communications and in the Mod Squad. While the topic is a very serious one (with some of the staff already familiar with the rules and regulations in their "real" workplaces as well), it's not felt to be an issue that needs to have specific rules assigned to it. Basically, the rules we have would already prevent any real sort of true harassment, sexual or otherwise. We very strongly encourage anyone who feels like they are being placed in an uncomfortable situation by another user -- male/female, female/male, male/male, female/female -- either via continued posts or PMs to contact one of us and we will investigate.

We all need mirrors to remind ourselves who we are. I'm no different.
    • NYCitygurl has decided to take time away from us from 04-May -> 11-May for AP exams. Why she thinks that she won't be able to concentrate on studying while being on the JC, I have no idea...

• In further proof that our Tech Admin is as hot as the sun, gabe took off his pants and promptly overheated his PC. His pants are back on now and his PC is fine, so we're happy he's back and Healer_Leona, rhonderoo and TwilekJedi are all very unhappy his pants are back on.

• G-FETT is back in SSSW with love lifting him up where he belongs.

• Mr44 is visiting with Mrs44's parents from 02-May -> 06-May.

• Kyptastic was promoted to Manager and did fantastic gymnastics with plastics to celebrate

[image=http://www.offoffoff.com/film/2001/images/memento.jpg]

There was a slight malfunction with the MSU this week as we did not have the proper tattoos to remind us to post it. So, without further ado...

2. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Very good. :D

3. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006

fantastic gymnastics with plastics

We'd like a picture presentation of this please.

4. StarWarsFreak444

StarWarsFreak444 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 28, 2005
    lol Mrs44 [face_laugh] :_| [face_laugh]

great update DP! :)

5. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    dp, I love you! Your update is the first thing to make me smile today! [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

[:D][:D]

6. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    Yes, we were having technical difficulties. And we still are. Because of that, please read this MSU from the bottom up. We should have this corrected by next week. Sorry for the confusion, folks.

:p

7. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I didn't even notice. I didn't read it as I knew the draft. I was just wondering why the picture's suddenly at the end of the post :p

but you shouldn't have given it away...

8. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Those pictures would horrify and mortify all who saw them :p

9. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Any discussion on the Moderator Complaint Resolution process and whether it is still in use? If not, any idea how to handle demotions better in the future?

10. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    That would be telling. :p

Why not just propose a public trial, with a jury of your e-peers, to decide the fate of mods that are questionable in the MS?

11. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    I agree here. It's largely a misconception because people with VIP status are often those who are most active on the site, and are interested in contributing where possible. A couple of the game hosts are very active, and are posting all over the boards, so it appears there are too many VIPs, where infact there are limited numbers, but they are highly visible posters.

I'd appreciate an admin response to this - would be great to know that lessons have been learned. On a related note, is the new admin-forum viewable (readable) by all mods or not?

12. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Malkie - the new forum is for the admins only. We (mods and managers) don't have access. It was started because the system of sending PMs amongst the admins was cumbersome and took too much time.

13. Confidence

Confidence Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2005
    From a purely technical perspective, how can you stop a manager adding themselves to the admin forum? I'm not for a second suggesting anyone would go in there if they were asked not to, but doesn't the list of boards a manager can add themselves to extend to every board? Or am I forgetting something? Just curious, really.

14. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    You can't stop them, but woe betide any who does.

15. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Yes, we were explicitly asked not to add ourselves to it right when it was created. The thread was very active for a week or so because we started discussing the difference between THX-1138 and Test Subject. I'm still not quite sure what it is/was, but the posts explaining it sure looked like they made sense, so it's all good.

And I'm not even sure if I'm even allowed to add myself to, say, the CR forum. Because I never cared enough to ask. Same here. If the admins wanted to be sinister (I mean, more than they usually are), they'd find a way to do so in PMs, too. Or offsite. Or in AIM. What do I care, I'm sure the people they slept themselves to the top with knew what they were doing :p

16. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    The MS Complaint Process was brought up (upped literally). It still remains a process for users to officially voice their complaints about a moderator and an admin will investigate and present findings to the head admin as seen here.

Two things were made visible on the admin action log by Zerosleep for the admins. Adding oneself to a private board is already on there, and what board you added yourself to. So, it's there in black and white if someone adds themselves to a private forum (like the new Admin forum) at what time and what board. The second was to make visible when a Admin note is removed. Before removal of notes didn't show up on the admin action log, or anywhere. It's visible now in the admin action log.

17. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Can I ask what happened to the admin-only email list that was designed to take care of this task, and also provide a greater inclusion of the TFN Partners in discussions and alleviate any security concerns from having it on the boards themselves?

18. JAWAHUNTER

JAWAHUNTER Jedi Master star 1

Dec 16, 1998
    I know it got hacked when I was still an admin. Or atleast the info was being leaked.

19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn, that's an old username for you.

AFAIK, the admin email address was also signed up for mass amounts of spam back in the day.

20. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    Can any administrator step up and explain why "In the case of further investigation, all parties will be requested to describe their views of the matter. " wasn't followed in my case?

21. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005

[image=http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c288/harpuah/popcorn.jpg]

:p

22. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

I go away for a little while, come back, and find that I missed all sorts of DRAMA! about malkie and bans and demotions.

What happened? Would he not give out his home address?

AYBABTU?

23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Okay, I WIN THE INTRAWEB.

I post an updated and I get AYBABTU to post in it.

I SO WIN!!!

24. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    Nice update.

Information FTW!

edit: and you can have my VIP color back when you pry it from my cold dead hands!

25. malkieD2

Jun 7, 2002
    Just to follow that up, I'm specifically refering to the comments Sapient has posted in the MS saying that there had been "tons" of user complains about me (because none of them were brought to me), and also because Sapient posted that I had indicated that I was "surprised" not to demoted previously (which is an entirely fabricated remark - that conversation never occured, and I certainly never felt I was indanger of demotion).

Had I had the chance to "describe my views" then I would have pointed out the inaccuracy in Sapients comments, which is exactly what the complaint process was put in place to achieve.

I've let things go, but something like this needs to be addressed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.