main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MS Update (02-May -> 25-Apr) Update Squad Mod

Discussion in 'Communications' started by dp4m, May 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Chim, SFL, you haven't painted the chilling picture of what a world where n00bs weren't told to GTHOTB would look like. Or for that matter how many new KOTOR threads Games would have per day.

Until you paint the apocalyptic vision of a Games ph0rum where n00bs roam freely, unrestrained by common sense (or even basic spelling, puncuation or grammar), you'll never convince people of the just and righteous use of "GTHOTB" and variations thereof.

E_S

2. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    I'm confused.....are we supposed to strike, or something?

3. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    No, you're supposed to GTHOTB. [face_plain]

Sorry, ASG, I couldn't resist. :p ;)

4. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    [Borat] High five! [/Borat]

ES

5. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Not at all. Just trying to find out how the board rules apply here.

6. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I've gotta say, the reams and reams of sarcasm that seems to have come to the defence of 'GTHO n00b' is very heartening indeed.

There should be no distinction between friendly flaming and genuine flaming.

7. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    I agree. GTHO n00b is a flame, period.

8. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    That's wonderful, but it's also a flame. I wouldn't be allowed to flame someone, or multiple new users, in the JCC simply because it's become an inside joke. And the JCC has its own 'culture' just as the Game Forum does.

That's also wonderful, but it's also a flame.

Very true, they can't stop people posting what they post, but they can edit and ban for violating the TOS. Flaming is against the TOS, so why exactly should the Games Forum be immune to the rule about friendly flaming? The rule doesn't exist so that the Games Froum can exist in a happy little exclusion zone all of its own, you know.

IMHO, it's got nothing to do with 'growing a thicker skin' or whatever others have been advocating, or that the Games Forum has it's own culture... because ya know, every forum has its own culture but they still have to have flames (friendly or otherwise) edited out.

9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Everton, how does that "friendly flaming" aspect not apply to the 'good natured' ribbing in JCC?

Aren't they really the same thing?

GTHO and variants thereof has been part of the Games forum for >5 years at least. Nobody has complained about it before. It's never been a truly malicious thing, nor do I believe people who rib each other in JC mean it intentionally.

What am I missing?

E_S

10. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    One can engage in 'good natured ribbing' without deploying a phase that is, surely is, a direct flame (no matter the intended 'context'). It's literal meaning is very precise indeed. If someone, in the JCC, crosses the line - starts using phrases so specific - in their 'good natured ribbing' they should be edited.

I think GTHO n00b should be outlawed, but I can see that it's been allowed to fester for a long long time now, and perhaps it would be hard to remove from the 'local lingo', I dunno. But then perhaps that's no excuse either. Heh.

11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    How about when someone complains about "pwnt", arguing the notion of owning someone invokes slavery and thus is offensive and should be banned?

It may be somewhat extreme as an example, but the point is that it's a word that's been mostly acceptable in internet circles for some time, only to find itself being challenged as offensive.

Can I ask, Everton, have you been to Games and seen it in use?

E_S

12. Master-Fett

Master-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 25, 2002
    Hey I didn't mean to that GTHO should be totally forbode. If the Moderators tell me that how its used now is incorrect for the most part and that theres a line you can't cross when you use it... I'm fine. It just seemed like a double standard to me at the time for what could be said and where.

13. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Yes it's an extreme example. And tenuous too.

However, I'm not seeking to come across as all-knowing here, and will readily admit to never having spent any time in the Games Forum. So no, I can't claim to be right here necessarily. I'm only stating things as I see them from the standpoint of my own understanding of the disallowing of friendly flaming, and the fact that the Games Forum is very much a part of the JC.

14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I take your point, Everton, but I guess being a Games luker/irregular user over the years I get the "context" and intent of GTHO and that might be why I'm saying what I'm saying.

But I don't think it's any worse in spirit than alot of what gets said in YJCC.

I think it's probably worth nothing it's an idea, more than a literal interpretation (ie the sentiment behind it rather than the actual words per se), that games users are arguing for.

E_S

15. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Its one of those JC grey area's. I mean, technically Everton is right and a flame is flame, whether its friendly or not. However, as its such an ingrained part of Games culture then it would be extremely hard to get rid of it, so in that context its OK. But that doesn't mean its appropriate for other forums and if I saw it directed at a new user in SSSW, personally, I would edit it.

16. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    I suppose then, that I find it disappointing it's been allowed in one particular forum for so long. The literal meaning of the phrase should have been enough to see it stricken.

17. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    However, what about the person who has just registered on the boards and goes over to the Games forum and sees GTHO n00b. How are they supposed to take it in "context"?

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    But everton, how often do people use "piss" to talk about urine?

It's vernacular English, like "owned" doesn't literally mean one belongs to another.

Jada, if it's never been an issue before, what would you conclude?

E_S

19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Here was my post on the subject from the MS:

Obviously, the first part of the quote is more important towards this discussion than the second... ;)

20. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    It was brought up to me about 2 years ago by a new user and I told them to report it to a moderator. So it has been an issue before. :)

21. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Literal meaning in comparison to the 'good natured ribbing' you were talking about in the JCC. GTHO N00b is a flame, and when you break up the acronym it only means one thing. The stuff that goes on in the JCC may, on occasion, be of a similar light-hearted spirit but it should never contain such a specific phrase. 'Piss' and 'owned' cannot be used, by themselves, as a flame - GTHO N00b most certainly can.

I can appreciate the Games Forum wanting to have it's own identity. That's a great thing, for sure, but I am uncomfortable for that identity to encompass flames as okay simply because they have become part of the vernacular.

22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Oh, ok. I've never seen it mentioned int he ~2yrs I've been a mod.

ES

23. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    So what is it about the Games Forum that makes this okay, and what is it about other forums that makes it not?

24. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    btw, was "GTHO" in use all this time? Because GTHOTB is actually more okay because it's a little more ridiculous. It's about a boat (made of Force, no less).

It's a little like "in before the lock". It's not allowed, but because it's not allowed everyone uses it sarcastically, which doesn't get edited 8-}

25. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    If someone tells someone that makes a redundant thread to GTHO n00b or something more aggressive, they are subject to moderator action. You will find it in use much more often in the Social thread. Indeed, a Google search of the site for 'GTHOTB', the by far the most common form of the phrase, brings up exclusively Social thread posts. A search for GTHO turns up the thread being discussed here and 2 other old posts.

It's never been mentioned as a problem to me, by anyone, with the exception of this thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.