(02-May -> 25-Apr) Update Squad Mod

Discussion in 'Communications' started by dp4m, May 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    Dp's quote is correct, and technically we should be following that to the letter. Anytime you cross the line in talking about the poster instead of the post, you're starting to get into murkier waters, and we discourage that. But in JCC, as I would imagine in Games, the Community feel encourages more kidding as we get to know each other better. Like always, we try to look at things in context, but we have and will continue to edit friendly flaming at times as it can encourage unfriendly flaming and we don't always know who's buds with who. Just like any post, think before you post it, if there's a better way to say it, say it. And certainly, even if you're kidding, if you don't know someone really well, stay away from any comments about them personally.
  2. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    Yes kidding is fine, and the JCC is the king of kidding, but one can so easily kid without deploying a flame.
  3. ObiWan506 Former Head Admin

star 7
    I think this is a context related issue. If the phrase is used as a friendly ribbing between a community of users and not an actual detraction for a new user, then I think it's fine. The distinction is important and context defines this.
  4. halibut Chosen One

star 8
    Everton's point (and I agree with him 100%) is that friendly flaming is against the TOS, regardless of context.

There must have been a reason for singling out friendly flaming in the TOS - probably just in case this sort of situation arises
  5. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    I disagree (with 506). The phrase in question is a definite flame, thus the context it's used in is irrelevant. Phrases that can be used, without modification, as a flame (should you wish to flame someone properly), should not get off the hook because in one particular instance they are being used in a friendly fashion. Just don't use it. If you want to rib your JC friend, then do so without using an absolute dead cert flame. Then you don't have to rely on the mod knowing you're friends with the person you're 'flaming'.

However, Marcus seems to be suggesting the phrase isn't a commonly used phrase anyway.
  6. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    It isn't. And those two posts mentioned are not from Games regulars and were not 'friendly flames'. I missed the second one, I confess.

Edit: To be clear, it shows up a fair amount in the Forceboat and Lounge threads, but that's all. And then of course I find 2 instances of it, but that's the GTHOTB variant. And again nobody in the actual forum, even new people, have complained about it to me, or Quest, as far as I'm aware.
  7. ObiWan506 Former Head Admin

star 7
    I certainly concede your point Everton. I didn't know it wasn't often used and if it's seen as a genuine attempt to detract a new user, I would be the first in line to make sure it's not used that way.
  8. Strilo Manager Emeritus

star 8
    For the sake of this discussion, I think it would be wise to differentiate between "GTHOTB" and "GTHO N00b". The latter seems like a mild flame.
  9. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    To be truthful, I (as a confessed Games Forum ignorant) wasn't aware of the frequency of its usage when I started posting in this thread (not that that makes a great deal of difference).
  10. Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    "GTHO noob" : Pretty blatant (though mild) flame, even if in jest. As Marcus has pointed out, regardless of context, this is edited.

"GTHOTB" : A joke referring to vacating the presence of an imaginary invisible boat.

The difference between the two and context of each seems clear to me.
  11. ObiWan506 Former Head Admin

star 7
  12. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    Yeah, GTHOTB isn't really any different than "pwnt" or "Are you kidding me?" etc. to me.
  13. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    Yes. I'd agree with that. I've only ever referenced GTHO Noob.
  14. Jada Chapter Rep Charlotte, NC

Chapter Rep
    star 6
    If GTHOTB is in reference to vacating the invisible boat then wouldn't it technically be GTHOOTB? :-B
  15. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    lol, I was so thinking that myself! :p

Incorrect Internet acronyms FTL.
  16. halibut Chosen One

star 8
    Took me a moment to get that, but you are of course correct
  17. ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    Sweet, I look forward to bringing "GTHOTB" to the JCC, because if any forum needs a new catchphrase, it's that one.

Cheers! :)
  18. Jedi_Dajuan Admin: FanForce and Games

Administrator
    star 6
    GTHOTB has been in the JCC for years as well. Every time the games crew decides to "take it over" you get a ton of GTHOTB and "Forceboat!1!11!!" posted in places.

In MS I gave a little history of what GTHOTB means and how it is used:
    GTHO means "Get the hell off" as in off the boat. GTHO n00b harsher and as Marcus said isn't used all that much, and generally is edited when it is.
  19. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    Yep, I've seen GTHOTB in JCC plenty of times. It can't call it its catchphrase though, that honor belongs to Games.
  20. The_Chim Force Ghost

star 6
    So is this over? Because if it isn't I have some things I would like to say to some of the garbage that has been said in here.

Odd, I thought GTHO meant 'Get the hell out'? That's funny because I guess that means it's open to interpretation and preference. GTHO =/=GTHOTB. Completely different things. No one 'in' games uses GTHO.

Also ASG, why do you JCC types have to steal everything from us? Can't you come up with anything on your own? Rhonderoo is right, that isn't yours. So put it down and step away.
  21. ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Grand Master

star 8
  22. The_Chim Force Ghost

star 6
    Mods, she is blatantly flaming me now. I demand retribution, she should be edited or worse.
  23. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    Yes. I'm glad we agree.

As far as I'm concerned this discussion has always been about GTHO N00b (Get the hell out, noob).
  24. The_Chim Force Ghost

star 6
    Good, but that still doesn't change that it isn't really vulgar or offensive though. I mean ASG just said that exact thing to me a post ago.

Wise edit by the way. Just makes tons of sense to post GTHO n00b in the thread it is being complained about. =D=
  25. ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    Damn, I knew I should have posted that in the games forum.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.