08-08-08 The OFFICIAL Beijing Olympics Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Darth_Brutus666, Jun 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Brutus666 Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey, I didn't see any thread made about the Olympics so I decided to creat this one since the trails for the U.S. team is going on right now. So, who else wants the discuss the nations of the world's biggest international sporting event?
  2. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    Oh Gawd. Bob Costas. Up Close and Personal. "Despite his chronic hangnail and the death of his grandmother's second cousin once removed, Tybert or Dusty-Rose decided to go all out for a medal...":p
  3. Jedi Gunny Yahtzee Host

Game Host
    star 8
    Well, it's something to do in August. And you get sad when it's over because it won't be back for four more years.
  4. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I enjoy the Summer Olympics. Track is kinda fun to watch, along with swimming. I still think that I prefer the Winter Games, but JEDIGUNSHIP said, it's something to do in August.
  5. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    I admit to watching, but track is like baseball; it's so suspect because of the cheating, you don't know who is doing what.
  6. Jedi Gunny Yahtzee Host

Game Host
    star 8
    I don't find track really interesting, because I'm not a running guy. I'd rather watch baseball and basketball, because those are sports I'm in to (although I really can't play them).
  7. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Very true. I like to imagine that things are pretty clean, although I suspect that makes me pretty naive. I still do enjoy watching it, though, for whatever reason. Track, swimming, and new soccer/football are probably my favorite events to watch.
  8. Darth_Brutus666 Jedi Master

star 4
    I enjoy women's beach volleyball personally.
  9. Jedi Gunny Yahtzee Host

Game Host
    star 8
    In some ways, I find the Winter Olympics more fun (you don't have skiing and snowboarding in the Summer), but the Summer games are still interesting because they are the Olympics. They only come around once every four years (2-year delay between Games).
  10. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    Track, cycling & swimming are all corrupt. In the winter Olympics, it's mostly the the cross-country skiing events, which are not big-ticket.
  11. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Even if they are corrupt, they're usually still fun to watch. Though for me, it still depends on the sport.
  12. DarthIntegral Force Ghost

star 7
    I am 100% an Olympic junkie. If they show it on tv, and there's a medal ceremony at the end of the competition(s), I'll watch it.
  13. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    I'll watch some things. Rowing is insanely boring, though.
  14. Mister_Master Force Ghost

star 6
    My favorite is the gymnastics. One year this dark guy I can't remember his name, did floor gymnastics with a lightsaber. It was sweet.
  15. Veloz Force Ghost

star 6
    I love summer Olympics :D

Swimming, diving, track and field, gymnastics, beach volleyball and tennis r the ones i enjoy the most :)
  16. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey Jedi Master

star 4
    I'll watch the opening ceremonies, if not more. I mean, 8-8-08 happens to be my birthday, so for that reason alone I'm interested. :p
  17. Jedi Gunny Yahtzee Host

Game Host
    star 8
    Hey, this thread has shown up in the weekly boards update. :D
  18. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Hopefully that will help get more attention :)

I did get to watch a bit of the swimming and track qualifying... some impressive times posted. I'll be watching more when the actual stuff comes around.
  19. Jedi Gunny Yahtzee Host

Game Host
    star 8
    Thanks for putting this on the update, Rogue. Hopefully, some more people wil post in this thread, considering that we are now counting down until the Olympics start.
  20. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
  21. Darth_Brutus666 Jedi Master

star 4
    Do you think Michael Phelps will break Mark Spitz's record?
  22. Jedi Gunny Yahtzee Host

Game Host
    star 8
    He had a really good chance to in '04. Now, he'll have somoe more company. Did you watch the Olympic Trials? He almost got beaten in the 400 medley (I think that's what event it was), yet still broke the World Record.
  23. Jedi-Washington Jedi Master

star 4
    Oh gosh, I know Phelps and I hope he breaks the record. I'm sure with those new LZR's he'll be able to get close to his record at least!
  24. Darth_Brutus666 Jedi Master

star 4
    Competition could make him better though. We've seen that in the trials.
  25. Jedi Gunny Yahtzee Host

Game Host
    star 8
    Countdown: 25 days left until the competition begins.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.