main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

08-08-08 The OFFICIAL Beijing Olympics Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by Darth_Brutus666, Jun 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trika_Kenobi

Trika_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    Latvia actually looked really good the entire time. USA needed to adjust, like Inty said, but they didn't.

2. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    Holy carps! Anyone catch Michael Phelps swimming? OMG!

3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Phelps is amazing. Simply amazing. I'm really pulling for him to go eight-for-eight.

4. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    One down, and well on his way. It's been said that was one of his tougher events, too. Eight-for-eight is definitely possible. I was just amazed watching him swim a while ago. Just wow.

5. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    My DVR is a bit behind live, so I just finished watching that race when I posted that. :p

6. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    Well, it seems like they got a bit tired of "The Star-Spangled Banner" while Phelps was on the podium. Someone fire the tech guy! :p

7. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    WOW. The women's 400 IM was amazing, too. Second place broke the freaking world record. Or at least, the one that was set coming into that race. Amazing.

8. silverfighter

silverfighter Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 28, 2007
    Wait, what happened? I didn't get to watch since I only got home 1/2 hour ago. [face_frustrated]

9. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    "The Star-Spangled Banner" just bit it near the end. Phelps is standing there on the podium and the anthem just cuts out. Everyone immediately starts laughing, and the athletes just starting taking pictures or whatever. :p

10. silverfighter

Apr 28, 2007

Darn, that would have been fun to see. :p

11. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Well, not only was it stopped abruptly, it was also some whacked out playing of it. Things seemed to be in the wrong order, among other problems.

12. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    Dara Torres is about to swim in one of the women's relays. Pretty neat story... she's forty-one years old!

13. silverfighter

Apr 28, 2007

I think I remember Natalie Coughlin(sp?) from Athens. Dara makes for better stories, though. :p

14. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    She's awesome, too, but we're winding down on the relay now... come on, Dara!

And USA grabs silver. The Dutch take the gold. Dara swam wonderfully, though!

15. silverfighter

Apr 28, 2007
    Lol, I was sitting here watching it, bouncing in my seat muttering. . . something. I don't remember what. Whatever it was, it didn't work, but hey, silver's good too. Better then bronze or no medal at all. :D

And of course, silver is such an amazingly awesome color. ;)

16. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    You should have an Olympic sock called "silvermedal."

17. silverfighter

Apr 28, 2007

Don't get me ideas like that. I already have 3 to keep track of. :p

18. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    I'm so majorly impressed with Phelps, and yes I was a bit irked when they cut off the SSB.

19. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I'm picking 7. I can't see him beating Van Dan Hoogenband in the 100m Free.

In any case, mixed start for Australia. Stephanie Rice ([face_love]) was superb in the 400 IM, but Hackett was disappointing and the 4x100m relay girls bronze was less than what we were expecting.

20. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I am most looking forward to seeing how well team Canada competes in the Baseball tournament. We've done really well internationally going back to the Winnipeg Pan Am games. Might be a last chance for Stubby Clapp:D

Several big league vetrans and prospects are on the team including Chris Reitsma, Rheal Cormier, Adam Stern, Pete Orr and Stubby. Maybe they'll sneak up on some of the favorites.

And I finally have some time off work to watch some of the games.=D=

21. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    Dutch equalise at the death [face_plain]

22. EmeraldSpeedster

EmeraldSpeedster Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 8, 2008
    I'm so majorly impressed with Phelps, and yes I was a bit irked when they cut off the SSB.

That was truly a spectacular race, the kind that I'd get up to shout at the screen, just because it got me so excited. But that little mix-up with the national anthem... to some it may seem funny. I'm not angry about it or anything, but I can see how some of the more trigger happy viewers might find it incredibly offensive. At the very least it seems like a little bit of an embarrassment for the Chinese in terms of presentation, even if it boils down to an error made by a member of the IOC. It still looks like China's fault. And there aren't too many things that can insult like the screwing up of a national anthem, particularly in the presence of the President of that nation. Bummer.

23. Trika_Kenobi

Nov 4, 1999
    I just watched USA basketball take down China in their first game. Overall, Coach K's team is looking good. I can still go for less circus-act playing, but not bad so far.

24. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I can still go for less circus-act playing, but not bad so far.

Agreed, though a 31-point thumping of China is a pretty good start. Still plenty of games left to play, though.

EDIT: also, I'm remembering why I like to watch Olympic swimming. Dang, they're impressive.

25. silverfighter

Apr 28, 2007
    Wow, those weightlifter people are nuts. I was just watching China's 17 year old winning his weight group. Heh, I can barely lift maybe 100 pounds off the ground, much less over my head.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.