main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

1 Week away from dragon con, what are you doing for the last few days.

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by Darth_Feral, Aug 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Feral

Darth_Feral Jedi Youngling

Jul 17, 2005
    Team takeo will be doing some last minute fixes on our costumes and testing some sound equipment in our truck. Then pack it and go for us!

2. Annya_Latoure2

Annya_Latoure2 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2003
    This is a Star Trek Dress. I have four Star Wars costumes.[image=http://www.geeksgonebad.com/TDB1138/forum_viewtopic.php?6.15]

3. kay_dee

kay_dee Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Hemming my Leia dress plus playing with hooks and eyes to get it to hang correctly.

Practice doing the buns hairstyle and perhaps make modifications to the braids I use for the Leia Ceremonial gown.

Figure out just how I'm going to pack all this stuff and carry it all by myself through the airports! (Purple Senatoial Dress, 2 Leia costumes and maybe I'll bring Arwen again if there is room).

- Kay Dee

4. studiocreations

studiocreations Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 18, 2000
    I am sewing up a "Sex Puppets" hawaiian-style shirt to wear around the convnetion one of the days. Other than that, all the costumes I am bring to the convnetion are finished.

-Jeff

5. DERTHH_MAWLZ

DERTHH_MAWLZ Jedi Master star 1

Aug 5, 2005
    Lamenting the fact that I'm not going...

6. kellilla

kellilla Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2002
    Trying to get everything finished... I've got two princess dresses done, one more almost done, my friend Ash's costume almost done... I've still got my Leia rebel uniform left to do, so I guess I'll be messing with that most of this weekend :\

7. ecila

ecila Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 9, 2002
    Cool star treck dress!

I need to:
    - finish the black corset, all I have left is the top edge!
    - change out the straps and redo the hem on my white nightgown
    - make a black satin circle skirt (should be super quick)
    - add one more hook to my red velvet skirt
    - elf gown, yeah this is not looking probable at this point, but I do have an 'alternate' elfish dress I can wear for the parade
    - book my flight (I have 2 free flights, so I just need to pick a time!)

My sister in law is coming with me now, so she is to be wearing (her) Shakespeare in Love gown now, instead of me. Lol. Also scrounging through my other costumes to see what I can lend her to wear.

:)
    ecila

8. ecila

Jul 9, 2002
    Just got the air plane tickets - getting in late Thursday night!

ecila

9. EricT

EricT Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2004
    This last weekend will be spent finishing up my Mr. Incredible costume (the muscle-suit guy says it's DONE! Should be picking it up tomorrow), and getting everything else packed and ready to go. Fortunately, I'm off from this afternoon through a week after DC - vacation's a wonderful thing.

Eric
    SL-7171

10. Arsinoe

Arsinoe Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    hmmm lessee....I'm playing with sleeves atm. lol

I have all my leather items to treat and protect. Some more packing to do, then figuring out how I'm going to stuff everything into the car. rofl

My mom is coming with me this year...should be interesting. ;)

11. anifan

anifan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2005
    Wasnt there another thread on this subject

12. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Getting offline and then packing! Woot!

13. anifan

anifan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2005
    bye S_S

14. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    See you in a few days Sister_Sola!

I'm also going to by crying these last few days before D*Con ****I need to vent****!

The hairdresser who has done my highlights for about 7 years did the sloppiest job yesterday. My hair is soooo messed up that as of right now I can't wear the Leia ANH 2 buns hairstyle. When I part my hair down the back, there are these beautiful dime sized spots of overprocessed blonde color dotted all the way up. Sloppy sloppy work. Not to mention the highlights overall were totally overprocessed and my hair is closer to brassy orange than ash blonde. I put some brown color conditioner in today so I can still kind of get away with wearing the Purple Senate Dress (it covers most of my own hair anyway).

I have an appointment for Wednesday, the day before I fly out. I have a bad feeling about this :( I think I need to start making costumes with helmets so I don't have to stress about my hair not matching my extensions. And find a new hairdresser.

- Kay Dee

15. starfire-phoenix

starfire-phoenix Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 2, 2004
    Oh no kay_dee, that's awful :( Good luck on Wednesday. I hope that they can fix it for you.

16. Jedi_Samantha

Jedi_Samantha Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Awww Kay dee i feel your pain.

I just had my hair highlighted 2 days ago.. and while it looks very nice, when i part my hair down the middle, the highlights look overdone. :( Oh well.

Last few days im still deciding what costumes to bring *sigh* lol.

17. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Jedi Samantha - What is it with hairdressers these days? Hopefully you don't have the circular dot effect that I have (supposedly caused by brushing the color/bleach past the foil too close to the scalp).

I'll have to keep my eye out for your picnic dress at D*Con!

- Kay Dee

18. EricT

EricT Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2004
    Wow, lots of comments on bad hair coloring here! I was VERY fortunate, myself, over this past weekend. The muscle suit for Mr. Incredible was delivered on Saturday, looks GREAT, and the rest of the costume is basically done. I can't get into it by myself any more, as the UnderArmor shirt gets hung up on the muscle suit, but I'll have a helper, so that's not a problem. On Saturday, Lori and I decided to try and dye my hair blond for the part - not quite the cartoony, yellow-ey blond from the movie, and nothing too complex, but my natural hair color is medium brown and we wanted to lighten it up some. Turns out that there's a hair color brand (by L'Oreal, IIRC, but I don't remember the actual name, and the box is at the bottom of the trash can) out there intended to work on darker hair, and we picked up some of that to try, figuring that if it didn't come out right, I'd have time to have it done where Lori gets her hair colored. Well, 45 minutes later, my hair was a nice, natural-looking medium blond color (quite a shock, still, when I see it in the mirror first thing in the morning). I don't think it could be self-applied, but if you have a helper, it seemed pretty simple, and cost only about $15 total for everything needed.

I hope everything works out for those of you who've reported your problems here, and I'm looking forward to seeing your excellent costumes wandering around at DC later this week!

Eric Tank
    SL-7171 Garrion Tyranus

19. ecila

Jul 9, 2002
    My corset is done!!!!

Woohoo!!!!

now to finish everything else....

ecila

20. Arsinoe

Arsinoe Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    *grumble* One sleeve done, one to go. Should be able to finish today.

Now...if Katrina will only behave. grrr!

*mutters* hurricanes.

21. kay_dee

Jun 15, 2002
    Great news about your muscle suit! It must have been nerve wracking waiting to get it this close to the con.

Sorry if the hair remarks seemed OT - but for me the hair is an important part of my costume as well. Yesterday I gave Leia Ceremonial a run with the new braids I made, and was able to cover my orange roots with a little colored mousse and a touch-up stick for gray hair! My back center part is the worst area, I will play with painting over those patches tonight or tomorrow. I'm almost afraid to go back to my hairdresser this close to the convention for fear he'll overcompensate and make it all too dark (I can cover up light stuff, but I can't turn dark into light).

ecila Congrats on finishing your corset! I'm stressing because I was trying so hard to fix my hair and get my various hair extensions working this weekend that I didn't hem my Leia ANH yet. I've gotta get started on that now. I hate doing hems. They stress me out for some reason (getting them even and all).

- Kay Dee

22. iycis

iycis Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2002
    Eric, glad to hear you got the muscle suit thing worked out. The only part of my costume that's missing now is the gloves which were supposed to arrive already. Not sure if they'll make it here in time. If not I'll have to figure something else out.

All the rest of my costumes just have small fixes that need to be done. Everything should be finished by tomorrow. :)

23. Jedi_Samantha

Jedi_Samantha Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 15, 2002
    Jedi Samantha - What is it with hairdressers these days? Hopefully you don't have the circular dot effect that I have (supposedly caused by brushing the color/bleach past the foil too close to the scalp).

I don't know!! They are just doing whatever they want regardless of what you tell them. I said i wanted light highlights in the back of my head (So if i put my hair in a pony tail you can see them on the bottom) and heavier (but not THICK) hightlights on the top of my head, so that if i parted it or wore it in a ponytail the highlights can be seen.

Somehow i get highlights everywhere.

*shrug*

I leave Thursday. I'm in the Hyatt. See you ladies there!

24. ecila

Jul 9, 2002
    Wow - I hope everyone's hair troubles turn out ok! Kay Dee, did you decide to try the second round of coloring? At least the mousse helps a little! I love the way my hair looks with blonde highlights, but everytime I did it, it seemed like half of my hair broke off, so I feel your pain! Au natural works the best for me.

ecila

25. iycis

iycis Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2002
    Everything was done as of 5pm today. I am packed and ready to go!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.