main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga 100 Grains of Sand - UDC 3 response, Week 14: Why Can't We Be Friends?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by amidalachick, Sep 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003

[b]Week 7[/b]
    [hr]

[b]DOOR[/b]

None of the customers who had come through the door of Watto's shop had ever left such an impression on Anakin.

From the tall man who had such an unusual aura of calm, to the funny-looking alien of a species he had never seen before, to the squat droid that looked very much like an astromech, he thought there was something special about them. Most of all, the beautiful girl, with her large brown eyes, stood out in his mind. He would always remember the way she had turned back at the door to smile at him before she left.

[b]WINDOW[/b]

There were always steady streams of traffic in Coruscant's skies. Hundreds of thousands of beings, representing many species and many worlds, were constantly on the move.

Standing by his window and looking out at the bustle of Coruscanti life, Palpatine almost felt sorry for them. They believed their lives had meaning and that their actions made a difference, when in reality they were meaningless. The galaxy would function perfectly well without them in it. Only a privileged few had the power to change things...

His musings were interrupted by the arrival of a visitor.

"Welcome, Anakin," he said, smiling cordially.

[b]ROOF[/b]

Anakin had learned long ago that having a roof over his head didn't mean he had a home. In his younger years, home had been wherever his mother was. As long as he was with her, it didn't matter to him if they lived on the streets.

Now that he was a Jedi living at the Temple, he was often reminded of that lesson. He didn't see much difference between his quarters at the Temple and the places where he and Obi-Wan stayed on their various missions. They were all places to stay, but none of them was a home.

[b]WALLS[/b]

There wasn't much privacy on the front lines, so Anakin often shared quarters with Obi-Wan when space was limited. Sometimes, if he couldn't sleep, he'd look across the room to Obi-Wan's sleeping form, thinking about how easy it would be to wake him and finally share his secrets. Then a voice at the back of his mind would whisper that his former Master was a Jedi first and a friend second. The moment would pass, and Anakin would lay awake late into the night, feeling like there were impenetrable walls between them, although they were only a few feet apart.

[b]FLOOR[/b]

For the first time, he saw his son with his own eyes. He was overwhelmed by Luke's love and unwavering belief that there was still good in him.

"I can't leave you here," Luke was saying. "I've got to save you."

"You already have," Anakin murmured. "You were right about me. Tell your sister...you were right..."

Twenty-three years ago, he had knelt on the floor in Palpatine's office and made a horrible decision. Now, as he lay dying on the floor of the second Death Star, he felt at peace. Thanks to Luke, he had finally made the right choice.

2. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Wow. What a moving set of drabbles. It seems a shame to call them drabbles.

I thought this was stunning:

ROOF

Anakin had learned long ago that having a roof over his head didn't mean he had a home. In his younger years, home had been wherever his mother was. As long as he was with her, it didn't matter to him if they lived on the streets.

Now that he was a Jedi living at the Temple, he was often reminded of that lesson. He didn't see much difference between his quarters at the Temple and the places where he and Obi-Wan stayed on their various missions. They were all places to stay, but none of them was a home.

And then I read the last one.

:_| =D=

3. dancing_star

dancing_star Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2007
    Oh wow. These were all so good!! @};- =D=
    I loved "walls"- very nice! :) And "door" was reflective and sweet. :* "Floor"- lovely![face_love] One of my favorite, if not my very favorite ROTJ moments. [face_love]
    They were all fabulous!! Great job!![:D]
    =D= =D= =D= =D=

4. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    hen a voice at the back of his mind would whisper that his former Master was a Jedi first and a friend second

:_| :_| :_| :_|

I wish Anakin hadn't felt that way. Things could have been so different.

*sniff*

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

5. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Lovely.

Walls so real describing the distance between Anakin and Obi-Wan

Floor the final moment between Anakin and Luke. :_|beautiful.

6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Splendid set. =D= Walls and Floor :D :)

7. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Oh, terrific job on all of these! You Saga gals are really making me take a second (and third) look at Anakin. :p

But seriously, I really enjoyed this week's prompts. "Door" and "Floor" were my favorites, however. I love how the small kindness Padme showed him always stuck with him, and I loved how Padem's inherent goodness carried through to their son. Great update!

8. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    VaderLVR: [face_blush] Thank you so much.

dancing_star: It's one of my favorite SW moments, too. [face_love] Thanks so much for reading!

KELIA: I know! :( Sometimes when I watch RotS, I still want to tell Anakin to sit down and just talk to Obi-Wan. Thank you very much for reading!

earlybird-obi-wan: Thank you! [:D]

Jade_eyes: Thank you so much for reading! @};-

ginchy: And isn't he so nice to look at? [face_mischief] :p I've always thought that Luke took after Padme more, whereas Leia was more Anakin-ish. Thank you very much for reading!

Thank you so much, everybody! [:D] [face_love] And if, at any time, you want to be added to or removed from the PM list, just let me know.

9. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003

[b]Week 8[/b]
    [hr]

[b]CHANCELLOR[/b]

Padmé lay in bed, alone. A new crisis far from Coruscant had taken Anakin away again. Lately, it seemed as though the war was intensifying and Palpatine was becoming less interested in pursuing solutions that might put an end to the fighting.

Sometimes, like now, Padmé wondered what would have happened if she had not called for a vote of no confidence in Valorum so many years ago. If he had remained in office until the end of his term, would Palpatine be Chancellor now? Would the war still have happened, or would there be peace? She would never know.

[b]QUEEN[/b]

She stood in her most elaborate robes, looking every bit a planetary monarch. Before her, Anakin Skywalker expressed his wish to say goodbye to Padmé.

He looked so young and so nervous. She longed to throw away the trappings and hug this little boy who had helped her and the Jedi so much while leaving so much behind. She wanted to tell him that things would be alright. She wanted to be Padmé, but she had to be a Queen.

So she assured him in regal tones that Padmé's heart would go with him, and watched emotionlessly as he bowed.

[b]SENATOR[/b]

"So you've accepted?" Sola asked.

"Yes," Padmé said.

"Well, if it's what you really want, I'm happy for you," Sola said. "Is it what you really want?"

Padmé did not look at her sister. Part of her [i]had[/i] wanted to refuse the Queen's offer. She could have moved back into her parents' house and been a proper aunt to Ryoo and Pooja. But as Senator, she could help to make life better for all of Naboo's children, not just her nieces. In the end, she felt that was more important than her personal life.

"Yes," she said, finally. "It is."

[b]AIDE[/b]

Padmé couldn't sleep. She kept thinking about the way Anakin had kissed her...their picnic, when they had laughed and joked and she had felt more comfortable and happy than she could remember feeling in a long time...their talk that evening, when she had told him she couldn't allow herself to love him.

She was torn between her duties and responsibilities, and her heart. She knew what she should do, and she knew what she wanted to do. She knew the decision was hers alone. No advisors or aides, no friends or family, not even Anakin, could make it for her.

[b]GUARD[/b]

He won't let down his guard. It is as if being away for so long, unable to share his burdens with anyone, has left him unable to share them with her.

She wishes the war was over. Then maybe they could escape together and get to knew each other...again? For the first time?

He seems so far away, even though he's holding her. Or is she the one who is distant? She doesn't know anymore.

She hears him say, "I love you". She says she loves him, too, and she does. But she knows for now, they're both still guarded.

10. ginchy

May 25, 2005
    Oh, wow. All of these were great, but "Guard" really hit the nail on the head. I can see Padme feeling that way with Anakin, like he was so far away even when he was near, especially near the end of things. Great job showing that! =D=

11. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Loved them all, but Guard was my favorite.

GUARD

He won't let down his guard. It is as if being away for so long, unable to share his burdens with anyone, has left him unable to share them with her.

She wishes the war was over. Then maybe they could escape together and get to knew each other...again? For the first time?

He seems so far away, even though he's holding her. Or is she the one who is distant? She doesn't know anymore.

She hears him say, "I love you". She says she loves him, too, and she does. But she knows for now, they're both still guarded.

=D=

12. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    Very poignant peek into Padme's life over the years.

she knows for now, they're both still guarded.

A very sad but powerfully true statement

:_| :_| :_|

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

13. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Amazing set =D=

Chancellor--very though provoking questions what ifs Padme was considering there.

Aide and Guard--fantastic... the latter is a great use of the prompt in a figurative sense--I can understand their guardedness after time apart. [face_thinking]

@};-

[:D]

14. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    GUARD

so sad:_| so painfuly true!...:_| :_| Also like the other set u did with her..very moving ![face_love] great insight into Pad's head!!!@};- Awsome JOB on both!=D=

15. dancing_star

Feb 24, 2007
    QUEEN

She stood in her most elaborate robes, looking every bit a planetary monarch. Before her, Anakin Skywalker expressed his wish to say goodbye to Padmé.

He looked so young and so nervous. She longed to throw away the trappings and hug this little boy who had helped her and the Jedi so much while leaving so much behind. She wanted to tell him that things would be alright. She wanted to be Padmé, but she had to be a Queen.

So she assured him in regal tones that Padmé's heart would go with him, and watched emotionlessly as he bowed.

Loved them all, but this one stood out to me. Lovely job on all of them!! @};- [:D]
    =D= =D= =D= =D=

16. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    Great work on these past two weeks! Walls in particular, with the secrets between Obi-wan and Anakin, really struck me.

17. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    ginchy: Thank you very much! I'm glad to hear that came across well.

VaderLVR: Thank you! @};-

KELIA: Thank you very much for reading! [:D]

Jade_eyes: Thank you so much!

Lady_Skywalker87: [:D] Thank you so much for reading, and for your lovely comments.

dancing_star: "Queen" was one of my favorites to write for this set. Thank you very much for reading!

Face: Thank you very much! [:D]

Again, my sincere thanks to each one of you for your readership and such wonderful comments. You're the best! And lurkers, if you're out there, thank you for your readership as well. [face_love]

18. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    Note: Information on color symbolism was taken mainly from Wikipedia.

[b]Week 9[/b]
    [hr]

[b]PURPLE[/b] (royalty, mourning, spirituality)

Every so often, Leia had a recurring dream. She always saw a beautiful, somehow familiar, woman who seemed sorrowful. She would try to take the woman's hand and tell her not to be sad, but would wake up before their fingers touched.

But tonight, when she reached for the woman's hand, she was able to grasp it. The woman looked down, startled, but smiled and tentatively squeezed Leia's hand. Leia felt a powerful sense of love, then the woman released her and before she could react, she had woken up.

She couldn't sleep again for the rest of the night.

[b]ORANGE[/b] (happiness, enthusiasm)

Beru knelt on the floor, her arms outstretched and a wide smile on her face. Luke toddled towards her, taking his first steps on his very own.

"Look at him go, Owen," she said.

Crouching next to her with his arm around her shoulders, Owen didn't say anything. When she tilted her head to look at him, the pride and joy on his face were enough to let her know how much this moment meant to him.

She caught Luke in a hug when he reached them. He squealed happily, seeming to sense the excitement and love all around him.

[b]GREEN[/b] (life, renewal)

Bail knelt beside Leia as she worked industriously in her little garden plot. From a young age, she had enjoyed planting, digging, and all the other tasks that were involved in tending to a garden. Loving nature himself, Bail had encouraged Leia's horticultural pursuits and given her her own corner to work on. For six years, she had nurtured flowers and plants that, to Bail, were the loveliest on Alderaan.

Watching her carefully pack dirt around a leafy pink-blossomed plant, Bail couldn't help but admire the way she brought a spot of beauty into a galaxy of so much ugliness.

[b]SILVER[/b] (wisdom, reflection)

Luke was twelve years old today.

When Obi-Wan looked back over those past twelve years, he was shocked to realize how quickly they seemed to have gone by. Like Luke, he had changed and grown in that time. Although the memories still hurt, he had learned a lot and confronted his own demons. He felt he was wiser now than he'd been as a Master in the Order.

Someday, when the time was right, he would approach Luke and begin the training that would enable him to face his destiny. Until then, he would continue to learn all he could.

[b]COPPER[/b] (nature, connection)

Luke stood outside, as he often did, to watch the suns set. The view was especially lovely tonight.

As he gazed towards the horizon, the sky above streaked with vivid colors, Luke had a strange feeling. It was as if the entire galaxy was surrounding him and calling to him, as if he was part of all life and it was part of him. He felt perfectly free, yet deeply connected. The intensity brought tears to his eyes.

Then the suns sank a little lower, the night grew a little darker and a little cooler, and the moment was past.

19. dancing_star

Feb 24, 2007
    I kept saying to myself as I read these, "This one's my favorite!...No, this one! [face_thinking] No, I think its this one." [face_laugh] I loved them all!! [face_love] They were all wonderful and that's why it's so hard to pick. Beautiful job!! @};- [:D]
    =D==D==D==D=

20. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Every single one of them...perfection! =D=

21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Magnificent set. The first three were very touching, especially orange and green... lovely family moments there... the last two were great because they hint of something on the threshold in one case and something very fleeting but still enjoyed. I think LUke never loses that "live in the moment" outlook. :)

[:D] and @};-

22. ginchy

May 25, 2005
    These are beautiful. I really love how you show young Luke and Leia, and how their lives were full, even if they weren't together or with their birth mother and father. "Orange" and "Green" were my favorites, especially. =D=

23. KELIA

Jul 26, 2005
    Those were wonderful!!

I especially loved Orange.

It's nice to see Owen happy and proud of Luke for a change.

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

24. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    dancing_star: Thank you so much! [:D]

VaderLVR: [face_blush] Thank you!

Jade_eyes: I agree that Luke is a live-in-the-moment type. I'm glad you enjoyed these, and thank you so much for reading! @};-

ginchy: If only they could have been together...but yeah, at least they grew up with families who loved them. Thank you very much for reading! [:D]

KELIA: Thank you so much! :)

Again, thank you all for reading. [:D] [:D]

25. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    Note: Information on Dex for "Diner" was taken from Wookieepedia.

[b]Week 10[/b]
    [hr]

[b]CANTINA[/b]

Anakin set the glass down a little harder than he'd intended to.

"Try not to break it," Obi-Wan said. "We don't want to get thrown out before we find what we're looking for."

"If they throw us out, we'll just have to be sneaky," Anakin said. "How many more places do we have to check, anyway?"

"Four? Five?" Obi-Wan said. "I think I've lost track."

"I think [i]I[/i] need another drink," Anakin said.

A little while later, they were back out in the frigid air of Naos III, heading to the next cantina to continue their search for Fa'ale Leh.

[b]TAPCAFE[/b]

Padmé sat in a busy tapcafe, working on a datapad while she waited for her companion.

"There you are!" Bail said when he arrived. "I was worried you might have left. I apologize for being so late."

"That's alright," Padmé said. "It gave me extra time to prepare for my meeting."

"You never stop working, do you?" Bail teased.

"You sound like my sister," Padmé said. "I'll put it away now."

Laughing, the two old friends settled back to enjoy their meal. But although she liked Bail's company, Padmé couldn't keep from wishing that she was dining with Anakin instead.

[b]DINER[/b]

Dex hadn't been back to the site of his diner since it was destroyed. A visit would be too risky, and too painful a reminder of his old life.

He often wondered what had become of some of his loyal customers and friends, especially Obi-Wan Kenobi. Maybe they were living in exile now, too...if they had even survived.

They were part of the reason he had joined the Erased. Doing what he could to help beings, Jedi and otherwise, who were trying to make their way in this new galaxy, was a way for him to honor his friends' memories.

[b]MESS HALL[/b]

Obi-Wan sat across from Anakin in the improvised mess hall, watching him devour one of the bland and slightly stale ration bars that was currently their only source of food. Once in a while, Anakin's ability to eat almost anything without complaining still left him incredulous. Anakin had said once that he'd learned very early in life to eat whatever was available, since there might not be anything else. Obi-Wan knew it was an important lesson, and over the years, he had come to appreciate its significance. However, he still couldn't help wishing for some [i]real[/i] food right about now.

[b]DINING ROOM[/b]

Jobal entered the dining room carrying a delicious-smelling pot.

"I hope you're all hungry," she said.

"I am!" Ryoo said, making everyone laugh.

She carefully set the pot down and took her seat. She looked around at her smiling, happy family as they began to dish up the food: Sola and Darred, helping Pooja with the serving utensils, Ruwee pouring a drink for Ryoo, and Padmé exclaiming that not even the finest Coruscanti restauarants compared to Jobal's cooking-

Jobal woke up, realizing it was just a dream and remembering that Padmé would never again share a family dinner with them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.