main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga 100 Grains of Sand - UDC 3 response, Week 14: Why Can't We Be Friends?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by amidalachick, Sep 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    DaenaBenjen42: Yep, that is Anakin in "Star". Thank you so much for reading, and for your wonderful comments! [:D]

KELIA: I was trying to go for a sort of foreboding, mythological fairy-tale feel there. Thank you for reading! :)

Jade_eyes: Thank you so much! @};- I will absolutely add you to the PM list.

dancing_star: Sorry it's been so long, but I finally have more written. [face_blush] Thanks always for reading!

VaderLVR: Thank you so much! [:D]

earlybird-obi-wan: Thank you very much! :)

The_Face: I agree that Dex is a really interesting character, and that's one of the fun things about these drabbles - I'm not a good enough writer to do a whole story about someone like him, but I can give writing him a try. :p Thanks for reading!

Thanks again to all of you...you guys are the awesomest readers ever! [:D]

2. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    Notes: This being the week of the "House" season premiere, and these being Week 13 prompts, and me being amused by that coincidence inspired me to finally write and post these. Enjoy!

[b]Week 13[/b]
    [hr]

[b]SUNSHINE[/b]

Luke was six years old today, and Obi-Wan wanted to see him, even if only from a distance. That was why he was making his way across the desert to the Lars homestead at this time of day.

Pulling his hood farther over his head to help shade his eyes, he mused on the way the sunshine changed over the course of the day. From its current blinding brilliance, it mellowed into a warm golden glow over the sands by early evening. Like so many things in life, whether one saw ugliness or beauty in it depended on their viewpoint.

[b]OVERCAST[/b]

Luke paused from his work and squinted into the sky. It looked odd...off-color, overcast. He felt a tingle at the back of his neck, and a deep sense of unease. He had learned when he was very young what these signs meant.

"I don't think we'll get much more done today," Owen grumbled, straightening up and squinting at the horizon. "Better get the tools packed up and get inside, Luke."

Luke nodded and began to put the tools away with a sense of urgency. The repair work could be put off until another day, but the sandstorm would not wait.

[b]RAIN[/b]

Leia stared out at the rain cascading down the window. It was one of those days where she felt stifled by the walls and by all the expectations that were placed on her. It was one of those days where she wished she were not Princess Leia of Alderaan, but simply [i]Leia[/i]. It was one of those days where she wanted to scream, although she wasn't sure at what, and wanted to run, although she wasn't sure where to.

With a sigh, Leia finally forced herself to turn her gaze back to the datapad she was supposed to be studying.

[b]SNOW[/b]

"Shhh, Winter! They'll hear us!"

"You're the one talking, Leia," Winter said. "I'm really not sure this is a good idea."

"It'll be fun," Leia said. "If you're scared, you can go back."

"I'm not scared," Winter protested.

"Then come on," Leia said. "Race you to the hill!"

"Alright..."

Winter chased her friend outside, still keeping a wary eye out for Leia's aunts. But by the time they went back in, rosy-cheeked and gasping for breath from exertion and laughter, she wholeheartedly agreed that an afternoon spent playing in the snow was much better than an afternoon spent studying etiquette.

[b]WIND[/b]

The wind was blowing. It wasn't a storm, just wind. But it made Luke feel restless. He wanted to hop in the speeder and push it to its limits. He wanted to hear the engines roar, to feel them strain as he dodged obstacles with incredibly tight twists and turns. He wanted to outrun the wind, to race through the atmosphere until he was out in the vacuum of space with millions of possible destinations awaiting him.

Instead, he sighed and turned his eyes back to the motor he was repairing, brushing away some dust that had settled on it.

3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Marvelous to see these updated. :D So Canada's fave subject is the weather [face_laugh] At least they have four seasons ... or is it just two? Very very cold and spring o_O Here in the Southeast U.S.A., we have humid and hot and fallish/springish [face_laugh]

Rain--I have a total and unmitigated and unabashed fondness for fics about kisses in the rain [face_laugh] Squee!!!! I may have to write an L&M one one day... (Mira_Jade wrote a Trek one that is to DIE for!!)

;)

4. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Wonderful! I can't pick out a favorite. :D

=D=

5. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    I really liked Wind

Though I bet Luke was restless at other times as well ;)

Great update

=D= =D= =D= =D=

6. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    Continuing Jade_eye's weather commentary: we've got four seasons out west... and I'd like summer to end now.

Sunshine: This one was my fave, with Obi-Wan just wanting to mark the day and see the boy.

Overcast: Nope, it won't, and that description of the calm before the storm? *shudder*

Rain: Does she want to go running through the rainy streets? Neat.

Snow: Kids! Snow! Playing in it and being kids! *makes snow angel*

Wind: Does the wind remind him of home? Sure seemed like it.

Good drabbles. :)

7. dancing_star

dancing_star Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2007
    Loved these! [face_love] So very true to their characters and well written. =D= Speaking of weather, it's finally starting to cool off where I am and feel like fall. Yay. [face_dancing]

...And sorry it took me so long to get here:oops: - things have been rough. [face_tired]
    Wonderful job though and please keep me on the pm list!=D=

8. BigE

BigE Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    Ah, I see I?m not the only one trying to finish up UDC 3. :p

Sunshine ? Obi-Wan and his point of views. :) That was nice. I bet Obi-Wan took many little trips to look over Luke like this.

Overcast ? Indeed, an overcast sky on Tatooine was probably never a good thing. Nicely captures Owen?s response too, I?d say.

Rain & Snow ? two fics that go great together. Rain ? Leia stuck inside, wishing ever so much to run free and just be Leia. Snow ? She gets to do just that, at least for a while, with Winter. That these two came in back-to-back was awesome.

Wind ? like his sister in ?Rain?, Luke wants to run off and enjoy life. Yoda was right. :p

9. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    I haven't missed as much as I was worried I had. But I've finally dropped back by to read and enjoy the latest set. Good work, and nice thread title. :p

10. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    Jade_eyes: Ooh, if you ever wrote the L/M kisses-in-the-rain fic, I would totally want to read it. [face_love] And we do have four seasons up here - almost winter, winter, still winter, and summer/construction. ;) Thanks so much for reading!

VaderLVR64: Thank you so much!

KELIA: Oh, for sure. :D Thanks for reading!

DaenaBenjen42: Thank you for your kind comments. [:D]

dancing_star: Thank you so much! Sorry it's taken me so long to reply and update! :oops:

BigE: I figure at this rate, I might actually complete UDC3 by about 2016. :p The juxtaposition of "Rain" and "Snow" was actually unintentional...I think my subconscious writes better than I do. :p Thank you so much for reading!

The_Face: Nope, you didn't miss a thing. I am a slow (read: lazy, procrastinating) writer. Thanks for reading! :)

Again, thank you all so much! I truly do appreciate your support and your lovely comments. [face_love]

Since it has been, and most likely will continue to be, so long between updates, I will not send out PMs for this update. If you don't mind the long time gaps and want PMs for future updates, just let me know and I will be happy to continue sending them.

Thanks again!

11. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    Notes: I should have waited a couple weeks and posted this exactly one year after my last update. Anyway, enjoy! :p

[b]Week 14[/b]

[hr]

[b]ALLIES[/b]

Jar Jar Binks sat quietly in a room of the Theed palace, still hardly able to believe he was there. Outside, victory celebrations continued, as they would for many days to come. For now, though, Jar Jar wanted to rest and think.

After all the suffering, the loss, and the sacrifices they had endured, the Naboo and Gungans were ready to move forward. Jar Jar thought that Queen Amidala deserved a place of remembrance in Gungan mythology for her actions in bringing the two peoples together. He was sure that, now that they were allies, the future would be better.

[b]ENEMIES[/b]

The young woman strode gracefully towards her target, a successful businessman who supported a political group which committed terrorism against the Empire. He noticed her approaching and smiled. She returned the smile and tossed her long red hair over her shoulder in a flirty, happy-to-see-you gesture.

She almost felt sorry for him. Clearly he didn't understand that sometimes the people you thought were your best friends turned out to be your worst enemies. Not that it was anything personal against him - she simply had a mission to carry out.

Two minutes later, she left the body without looking back.

[b]SPIES[/b]

Padmé frowned. She felt like she was being watched, but when she turned to look, nobody was there.

She continued shuffling through her closet, selecting which items from her extensive wardrobe she needed or, as she held up one close-fitting golden gown that a certain person thought she looked very good in, [i]wanted[/i] to bring. She smiled as she tucked the golden dress into her bag.

Muffled whispers and shuffling footsteps at the door made her quickly turn again. This time, she caught them.

"Come here, my dear little spies," Padmé said, holding out her arms to Ryoo and Pooja.

[b]SMUGGLER[/b]

"Okay, baby sister," Sola said. "Explain why the Holonet is convinced you're going out with a smuggler."

"Maybe I am seeing a smuggler," Padmé said airily.

Sola burst into laughter.

"You?" she said when she could finally choke out a few words. "My dedicated, hardworking sister who refuses to get involved with any perfectly nice men throwing it all away for some outlaw smuggler? Right."

"I know, it is pretty outrageous," Padmé said. Still, a tiny part of her wished that the idea wasn't quite so ludicrous. Sometimes she wished she could just follow her heart wherever it led her.

[b]TRAITOR[/b]

[i]You're a traitor.[/i]

"No, I'm not," Padmé said. The little voice in her head wouldn't be silenced, though.

[i]Yes, you are,[/i] it insisted. [i]You're betraying all of your principles, everything you've worked for...and for what? For someone you hardly even really know?[/i]

"I know him," Padmé said, trying to convince herself by speaking the words out loud. "Is it wrong to do what's best for yourself once in your life? I've given so much, is it wrong to want [i]something[/i] back?"

Neither her reflection or her conscience answered. She glanced at the chrono. Anakin would arrive in a few hours.

12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Great update. Enemies and Traitor were my faves.

13. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Nice sets of drabbles. Loved the ones with Padme and her family

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.