main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC 100 Most Iconic Songs Of All Time

Discussion in 'Community' started by NotSoScruffyLooking, Aug 5, 2014.

1. NotSoScruffyLooking

NotSoScruffyLooking Jedi Master star 3

Mar 20, 2009
    Okay, how about this? Since a song is supposed to be a short piece that is sung, how about leaving it at that and not limiting any particular style?

Must have vocals, must be one contained piece(no movements).

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Edit: Never mind.

3. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Why is classical always so maligned? My entire library is basically classical and movie soundtracks. I'm a lost little man in this thread.

Edit: although, tbh, I'm currently listening to Sound of Silence.

4. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Why must it have vocals? Funkadelic's Maggot Brain is one of the most iconic songs ever, and it's an instrumental.

5. NotSoScruffyLooking

Mar 20, 2009
    Like I said, my personal preference is for a more modern list, but if people vote to include classical that's fine by me.

6. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Uh, because we have to draw up a barrier by which classical cannot be admitted, duh.

harpua likes this.
  7. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Also, I feel like perhaps one of the most seminal* records of all time, DJ Shadow's "Entroducing" is excluded. As is any ambient.

* Yes, dp will make a cringe-worthy joke about this.

8. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    "Maggot Brain" is an instrumental, yes, not a song. Unless you consider the spoken words at the beginning to count as "sung."

9. NotSoScruffyLooking

Mar 20, 2009
    If people want no restrictions, that would be fine.

10. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    NotSoMusicallyInclined, what everyone here is trying to say is that dictionary definitions for genres of music don't work and your categories are ill-defined and highly restrictive. You need to really be reading up on the history of music before trying to so this thread.

harpua likes this.
  11. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003

I think I covered the biggest hits, based on that rock definition. BTW it doesn't let you link more than 5 so I just stopped there.

tom likes this.
  12. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I like ragging on this list thing (what the hell does "iconic" mean?), but I think limiting it to songs (lyrics sung usually over backing instruments or other vocals) is fair.

Lowbacca_1977 likes this.
  13. NotSoScruffyLooking

Mar 20, 2009
    I'm not claiming to be an expert. I have some music ability and knowledge. No one is perfect, last time I checked.

14. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    The problem with this argument is it seems like you're making a stronger case for a strict technical definition than the OP was made with in mind.

15. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Well, sure, I was just taking issue with defining instrumental music, no matter the genre, as "songs." :p

16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

No, the vernacular term is basically compositions now. Metallica didn't interrupt the first 6 songs of "Master of Puppets" for an "instrumental composition" called Orion; it's regarded as both instrumental and song.

I appreciate the technical accuracy and adherence to etymological detail but by your definition anyone screaming or growling can't be included either.

EDIT: And conversely, through the use of samples, you're compelled to accept "Midnight in a Perfect World" as a song.

17. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I should've said "sung/rapped/growled/whatever." I couldn't think of an all-encompassing word.

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    It's probably easier to delimit scope to mean "song" in the commonly used sense, so it doesn't have to exclude instrumentals. Since the most iconic jazz is, you know, without vocals...

19. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    "Vocal performance"? Although then you have to let in spoken word.

20. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    You're right, we should put 40-minute, multiple-movement symphonies and "Louie Louie" under the same category. Drumlines perform songs!
    Yeah, sure. I'd have no problem with including spoken word under the umbrella. It's just that with "Maggot Brain" in particular, people don't listen to it for (and the main attraction is not)... whatever he says at the very beginning. :p

21. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Well, I mean, "Thick as a Brick" and "Louie Louie" fall into the same category using your metric anyway, despite the former being a 40 minute piece with movements.

22. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Difference being that "Thick as a Brick" is an actual song, albeit a very unusually long song.

23. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    You two are the most boring trolls.

tom, Zapdos, Ender Sai and 2 others like this.
  24. NotSoScruffyLooking

Mar 20, 2009
    The issue I have with classical songs on the list is most of them have been "iconic" for centuries, so they have an advantage over newer songs(newer meaning after 1900). I would like the list to be balanced with many different types of genres. My personal opinion is that modern music is more diverse than classical, which is why I prefer it on the list.

25. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    I'm not a troll. I have ****head spectrum disorder.

tom, Ender Sai and harpua like this.