main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*$100 Prize for 90 hour contest*

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by djr33, Jul 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    At theBRB.com, as part of launching our site (before we were just a forum), we will be holding a 90 hour filmmaking contest next weekend.

TIME: (all times are PST/pacific time)
    12 Noon Thursday the 28th of July
    Running for 90 hours until
    12 Midnight Sunday the 31st of July.

Entires must be produced during that time. We will not accept entires after Midnight on Sunday.Think of stories, talk to friends for help, and plan you schedules around it, but please don't do any actual work on the film until then so it is fair for all.

RULES:
    Content: Your film should be within the boundaries of a PG13 rating. If you are unsure of your film, ask. Be safe, not sorry. We will be forced to disqualify any innapropriate films.
    Copyright issues: We are going to look into this issue. You should probably plan not to use any copywritten music, especially, as there is a prize. We'll let you know soon.
    You may work together. You may, personally, submit only up 2 films.

Use whatever resources you want and make these films awesome!

On the day the contest begins (next Thursday), we will be posting a set of 10 lines of which you must include at least 2 in your film. This will help to make people not to begin early.

PRIZE: We already have donations from two users of $50 each for a prize. This money will be the $100 prize for first place. We are trying to raise more and will most likely have either a bigger first place prize or second/third prizes as well.

There will be no entry fee, but if you wish to help donate to the prize money, please contact me.

Good luck and ask questions. Spread the word and lets make this fun!

Even if you can't/don't with to enter, please check www.thebrb.com next Thursday. Our new site will be launched and we will also have an exclusive release of the IDEALITY trailer.

EDIT: danjr33@gmail.com, d33jr on aim. PM is fine too.

2. Tech_Krill

Tech_Krill Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 12, 2004
    YAY! OMG, A PRIZE! Oh wait, I already knew about this from thebrb... :)

3. niennumb1

niennumb1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 10, 2001
    boy, taking one's word for not having worked on anything beforehand is going to really be difficult. You should have announced this like 5 hours before starting it.

4. durbnpoisn

durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database star 5 VIP

May 20, 2002
    Thus the need for required plot elements. It's pretty hard to fake that unless you can see into the future.

5. Ellbobin

Ellbobin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2004
    Money? I'm in! so what is the time +/- GMT?

6. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    I'm sorry but offhand I don't know how to convert to GMT. I think PST is like 8 hours off, but not sure.

NOTE: This post is being made at 2:02AM Pacific time. compare that to when it says I posted for your timezone.

Also, If you can convert Eastern time (new york, etc), then all of the 12 O'Clocks will be 3. Not sure if that helps.

7. Zarbid

Zarbid Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 11, 2005
    for those brits out there, thats PST is -8 hours, I'm ntering, I hope your brothers across the pond can enter!

So for those of you that can't work it out, that means the competition will begin at

8PM Thursday evening, and finish 8AM Monday morning, that means, late night on sunday editing! Can't wait!!!!

lol

Zarbid

8. durbnpoisn

durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database star 5 VIP

May 20, 2002

That's the most ironic statement ever. The 8 hour offset you're refering to IS GMT (or UTC). That is PST what (GMT-08:00) means.

9. J2183

J2183 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 10, 2004
    Sounds like a version of the 48 Hour film challenge that is held over here in the UK every year.

10. DMPjedi

DMPjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 26, 2003
    On the time zone thing, you can also go into your clock settings and check. Next to each time zone, it gives you GMT.

I wish I had the hard drive space to enter in this...and a camera would be handy as well.

//Goes off to work to steal XL1s

11. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    Sorry about that, I wasn't sure off hand and didn't want to give you the wrong info. I was off to bed :p

Yeah, it'll be 8-8 for brits.

I hope you guys can work it out to participate.

Also, its been pointed out that this is technically 84 hours... we've been rounding up. Also, someone said that if we made it end at am PST, that would mean brits had more time that morning. Anyone think its a good plan?

12. Zarbid

Zarbid Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 11, 2005
    I entered that, working with a local film company last year, we came like 4th in the south west reginals, good fun, looks of pressure, but getting up at 4AM to film car chases and street scenes in an empty city is always good!

NO WAY! Where would the fun be in that! I've gotta be at work at 9AM on Monday, but I'm staying up all night/morning editing!!!! I'm really look forward to this, as is my company (BTW if anybody is intrested, as of today Crimsun Productions has become a regestered LTD company in the UK! YAY!!!! sorry little excited, got the paper work through today, now I can get a bank loan!!! and a business credit card!!)

Yeah sorry rambling, don't change the time, makes it more exciting, intresting and generally more fun!!!

Zarbid

13. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    Ok, fair enough...

I'd like to correct what I said above, though... somehow left out a six. It should have read "...end at 6[]/b]am...."

:p

14. ObiJuan2080

ObiJuan2080 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 31, 2004
    Do you know what I can do for $100? Seriously, that could buy me a crap load of DV tapes. Too bad I'm running the contest though. Damn!

15. BojacRedleif

BojacRedleif Jedi Master star 3

Jun 1, 2004
    I am SO entering this!

16. RoderickB

RoderickB Jedi Youngling

Apr 25, 2005
    ...as am I.

17. Sith-Lord_James

Sith-Lord_James Jedi Master star 3

Dec 7, 2003
    If I had a camera, I would be all over this. :_|

I am saving up though..I'm almost half way to my beloved GL2.

18. RoderickB

RoderickB Jedi Youngling

Apr 25, 2005
    Can't you borrow a camera?

19. RyiokuXL

RyiokuXL Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2005
    ok, if someone tells me when this starts and ends on the east coast, it'd help me alot...

20. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    djr33 posted on 7/18/05 6:00pm

TIME: (all times are PST/pacific time)
    12 Noon Thursday the 28th of July
    Running for 90 hours until
    12 Midnight Sunday the 31st of July.
    [hr][/blockquote]
    Hope that helps!

EDIT: - Darn markups.

More Edits: There seems to be a problem with some of the IGN codes.

21. BojacRedleif

BojacRedleif Jedi Master star 3

Jun 1, 2004
    Eastern time's 3 hours ahead of Pacific

(EST only)
    Starts 3:00 P.M.

Ends 3:00 A.M.

22. RyiokuXL

RyiokuXL Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2005
    yes! now I have a reason to stay up all night!

other than to watch random shows on the food channel just so i can get hungry, decide to cook something, then realize its 4am :(

23. Israel_Angell

Israel_Angell Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 31, 2004
    Questions:
    1.- Are the movies supposed to be original, or fan films?
    2.- If we use music, say from the movie of Gladiator, or Braveheart, will I be disqualified?
    3.- How will movies be rated? IE: Story/Video/Music/Sound/ETC

24. Silent_Jackal

Silent_Jackal Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 6, 2003
    I may enter....it just depends on what everyone else (who would do this with me) thinks. And I do the exact same thing with the Food Network.

25. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    1. the movies can be WHATEVER you want. Assuming that they are PG13 or so and: (see below)

2. However, copywritten music and other things would be disqualfied. (If you want to still participate, thats fine... but you can't win the prize as that would be a profit from copywritten material.) I'd love to include fanfilms as well, but there's no way we can give out money to a fanfilm. Sorry, guys.. the price of getting a prize.
    If you want music, I recommend a composer (try versusmedia.com), trying it yourself with various free apps (if you are good at music, I know I'm not), various free tracks such as those from freeplaymusic.com, asking a friend who is in a band.... or just going without. It's overlooked as illegal to make fanfilms, but once there is a cash prize, that is pushing it too far. Technically, it may not be a profit, but i'm sure there would be a problem with it.

3. The "judging" will be very simple. Anyone who wants to participate will sign up at thebrb.com and just vote in our poll. Depending on how it all works out, we may have a more complex system (like you get to pick your first choice and second choice), but it will definately just be a public vote for best entry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.