main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO 1000/1000 - The Achievement Whores Guild

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Reynar_Tedros, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Finally got my first Platinum trophy.

2. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Bioshock: 1100/1100. About six years too late, and boy what a pain that turned out to be. :p

Life likes this.
  3. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I've still only 100%'d Assassin's Creed 2 and Minecraft X360 edition. Hoping to add the Batman games to the list.

4. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    I 100%d Asylum twice - first the GOTY and then very recently the original edition - just for ***** and giggles. I refuse to go through the Arkham City DLC so that's a game that will in a way remain sorta kinda incomplete.

AC2 is the only AC game I've managed to 100%. It was a good run.

5. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    The platinum I value most is probably Dead Space. Impossible difficulty was pretty... well, difficult. I have Dragon Age: Origins as well though, where you had to defeat Golems of Amgarrak on Nightmare mode. Ugh.

I don't really collect trophies/achievements any more though. So many games to play, I'd rather start a new one than complete a bunch of extraneous tasks.

Life likes this.
  6. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005

It's that stupid ******* "Shock and Awe" map that keeps getting me. I just need to 100% the challenges.

7. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Yeah, "shock and awe extreme" is an absolute pain. I think I only managed to beat it by moving from the start area to one of the lateral ones (where the gun cages are) on rounds 3 and 4, going crazy with the batclaw, 5x takedowns and batarang knockouts to thin the herd.

8. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I was hunting the secret pickups in Thomas Was Alone to have something to do while replaying the game, listening to the developer commentary. By doing that, I also got every Trophy available in that game. Other than that, I haven't actively gone Trophy hunting since inFamous 2, two years ago. The most satisfying Trophies/Achievements, I find to be the ones I get by accident.

For instance, the two trophies I still remember most fondly are two trivial accidental ones I got in Mirror's Edge. One was called "It's-a-me!", an amusing Super Mario-referencing one that I got for landing on an enemy's head from a high jump. The move was hugely satisfying in itself, as I wasn't sure beforehand if it would work as intended, or if the game even would recognise it as a hit to the enemy. It was a decision made in panic. :p And then, after the thrill of unexpected success; and the discovery that the game not only recognises, but has an animation for landing on an enemy, a situation that will probably never occur naturally in most people's playthroughs; I get a funny recognition of my feat to boot.

The other one, "Flipping off", which depicts the protagonist flipping the V, I got when I accidentally hit the quick-turn button instead of the punch button, just as I got a knockout blow, making me fall to the ground with my rear to the enemy instead of my face. A last act of defiance if you will. :p

07jonesj likes this.
  9. Darth_Thump

Darth_Thump Jedi Master star 2

Aug 26, 2002
    Some pretty impressive stuff, the Arkham games always stump me lol

My Xbox efforts to date are as follows;

Gamerscore - 46,615 .... not all that groovy given that is out of a possible 93,585 [face_thinking]

Total achievements - 2,444 out of 4,468

I have however 'caught em all on these, TF:War for Cybertron. Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon (best game in years!). Assassin's Creed II and LEGO Indiana Jones.

There are a few games where I'm only misssing one, two, maybe four achievements for 100%.

10. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Reviving this thread after three years to announce that I have just earned my fifth platinum Trophy of all time, for the first Crysis. I did my first playthrough on the hardest difficulty, so I already had all the hard to earn Trophies by default. I don't actively go in for hunting all the Trophies in games, but since only the trivial ones were left, I thought the hell with it, why not? :D

I should note that one of my five platinums is a really cheap one, earned simply for completing Tales From the Borderlands, so you might say that I actually have four. :p

11. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I think I'm up to 15 platinums right now, the latest being the Lego Hobbit. Lego games are usually pretty good for platinuming though.

That makes my Platinum list as follows:

Lego Clone Wars
    Lego Pirates of the Caribbean
    Lego Harry Potter 5-7
    Lego Hobbit
    AC II
    AC Revelations
    AC III
    AC Liberation PS3
    AC IV Black Flag
    AC Rogue
    AC Unity
    inFAMOUS Second Son
    inFAMOUS First Light
    Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
    Sonic Generations

The most annoying one I haven't got is AC Brotherhood, due to the 2 trophies I don't have being linked to multiplayer, which is basically dead as far as finding a match goes, let alone getting to level 50.

12. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    I have a fair bit of gamerscore. I used to love trying to get all the achievements in games but I'm not as mad about them as I used to be. I still like getting all the achievements I can though.

I have all the achievements in Lego Marvel, Lego Star Wars 3, The Darkness 2, Rayman Origins, Batman the Telltale Series (though that's not really an accomplishment) and some Windows Phone games.

I'm close in Lego Star Wars TCS (just need the blue bricks and last 2 super stories if I can be bothered), Force Unleashed 2 (my obstacles here are Unleashed difficulty and the first challenge being uncompletable unless I start a new file) and Batman Arkham Asylum (the game I got my 360 for and and one of my favourite games but getting 3 medals on all the extreme challenges is impossible for me).

The achievement I'm proudest of though is the one for completing the Halo 5 campaign on Legendary solo. Even with it being the easiest of the games to do because of your squad that can sometimes revive you, it was still insane. Especially on Mission 2 ,14 and 15. The squad revive was the only reason I even attempted it, I'm not even trying the other Halo campaigns in Legendary.

13. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I haven't gotten all of the achievements in vary many games, mainly Call of Duty, specifically Call of Duty 2 and the Modern Warfare trilogy minus the DLC for MW3, and Wolfenstein: The New Order. I have also beaten all of the Halo campaigns on Legendary, besides Halo 2, Halo 5, Halo Wars, Halo Wars 2, Halo: Spartan Assault, and Halo: Spartan Strike. I don't have any of those, besides Halo Wars, which I haven't been able to Gold the final mission, The Escape on Normal, so I haven't bothered with higher difficulties.

Grievousdude likes this.
  14. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    You have my respect. Two Betrayals in Halo CE is a nightmare for me even on normal. I've beaten ODST and Reach on Heroic and I'm happy enough with that given the struggle I had with a few missions in those games.

15. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    The Look Out for the Little Guy achievement in Two Betrayals, along with Speed Reader in The Library for Halo: Anniversary and the coop achievements, are the only things that have stopped me from finishing all achievements.

16. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    It turns out that one of my platinums was for completing the first series of The Walking Dead. Which means that two of them are for Telltale games, and only three of them really count as accomplishments. :p Crysis, Infamous 2 and the Insomniac-delevoped team shooter Fuse, which was a lot more fun than its poor reputation would lead you to assume.

17. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Got a gold Trophy for achieving S-rankings in all stages in Sonic Generations. This game has enthralled me in a way that games haven't done for some time. I have been playing it almost daily for a month! I usually only play games for a few hours in the weekends. I am enchanted.

Grievousdude and darkspine10 like this.
  18. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I think my days of achievement whoring are finally over. The culprit? Breath of the Wild. Playing that game, I found myself thankful that Nintendo didn't introduce an achievement/trophy system with the Switch, as I can't help but think it would've influenced the way I played it in a way that would've diminished the natural progression and exploration I experienced with it. Same goes for Super Mario Odyssey. They're the first two games in a long time that I've immersed myself into where I didn't look at some kind of checkbox to see what I needed to do to rack up some arbitrary points. It's been strangely liberating.

Life and SensationalSean like this.
  19. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014

I had exactly the same awakening, also caused by BotW. I used to study achievement and trophy lists as I played through games, so they had a huge impact on how I approached things.

However, my 2017 Nintendo Fest has made me realize how much that diminished the experience for me! So I've turned off trophy notifications and it's been so nice - I'm going to do that for my intial playthroughs from now on.

Life likes this.
  20. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I intentionally don't look at the trophy list on my first playthrough for exactly that reason. I want the experience to unfold organically. In narrative-driven games like the Uncharted series I don't bother with them at all, as I want to keep the immersion in the game's world. I don't look for the hidden treasures either. When the game goes out of its way to immerse me in a cinematic sequence where I'm trying to, say, escape an avalanche, I feel I would do myself a massive disservice and break my role-playing connection with the character I'm inhabiting if I, in the middle of running for my life, took a detour to pick up a trinket. It's a neat addition to add to the game's replayability, but it's also a very fourth-wall-breaking mechanic.

This is a bit of a digression for this thread, but it's the same reason why I don't like narratives that have a sense of urgency to them in open-world games. Open world games invite you to explore the world and distract yourself from the main goal. That is the reason why they are open, and it is fun. But if the story begins with some villain killing your wife and kidnapping your child, the open design flies in the face of the narrative being told. A man trying to get his child back from murdering kidnappers wouldn't take a break in the tavern to play cards. If, on the other hand, the premise of the story is, say, a criminal moving her way up in the ranks, then that is a natural fit. It's natural for the character in that setting to do things at her own pace.

H-BOMB likes this.
  21. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Just beat the Challenge in the Witness and got the Platinum trophy.

My god that was a tough trophy.

The only things left are some of the environmental puzzles, which I can't be bothered to do as there's no trophy at the end.

Life likes this.