main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph 1001 Comic Books You Must Read: 280. "Superboy" #49

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Nevermind, Dec 13, 2010.

1. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    I thought the story was titled The Mightiest Team In The World, but the cover reads The Mightiest Team On Earth.

(Sounds of creaking polar ice simulating CUO's thought process)

[face_thinking]

2. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    Superman and Batman on a cruise together? [face_batting] Oh those whacky Golden Age stories. [face_laugh]

3. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
    Oh, yes. [face_laugh]

4. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    All I can say is I'm glad we got a mature, adult, psychologically nuanced tale of Superman and Batman going on a cruise together instead of another "funny animal" comic. Clearly, one is "literature" and the other is not.

5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Because that was totally his point and not the fact that there's a disproportionate amount of Carl Barks on this list.

6. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    [image=http://spankyandjohngotothemovies.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/talented_mr_ripley_xl_01-film-a1.jpg]

Clark and Bruce on a cruise sounds like something out of THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY.

7. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I'd say, given the quality of some of the Barks stuff against the quality of some of the others, that there's not enough Barks on the list. I mean, are we out for total proportionality or do we want quality material on the list? I'm saying that Only a Poor Old Man, for example, is more artistic, more nuanced, more literary and more psychological than a lot of other stuff that made the list. And his argument was that "funny animal" comics were not as significant as other kinds of comics and that Barks was not as significant as other writers specifically because he wrote about animals; but when "funny animals" are as far ahead of the game as Barks' were, they are, in fact, more significant. Batman wasn't as psychologically complex as Uncle Scrooge at this point in time, nor were his stories as morally layered, and I think the Superman pick shows that to be true. Adult complexity in the comic industry as a whole owes a tremendous amount to Barks; I'm not sure what we're supposed to owe to a story about Batman and Superman going on a cruise together; the list author isn't even right that this is the first story Batman and Superman appeared in together, so it doesn't even have that going for it. If he's saying there's a disproportionate amount of Barks on the list, I'm saying that he's wrong about that and that some of the stuff he thinks is more significant and important than Barks actually isn't.

8. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    All I can say is I'm glad we got a mature, adult, psychologically nuanced tale of Superman and Batman going on a cruise together instead of another "funny animal" comic. Clearly, one is "literature" and the other is not.

Geez, that came out of left field, didn't it? Ramza already address the actual issue. Barks is a great comic writer, no one disputes that. But the list is supposed to be "1001 Comic Books You Must Read"- it's has an overall focus across the comic spectrum. To include even more Barks would simply bump more and more possible examples that exist within literally 3/4 of a century of comic books. This example, while not being the most eh, complex story on the list (which was par for the course back in 1952) is the first real team-up between Superman and Batman, which is notable in the realm of comic lore.

Personally, I like all the "comic tidbit" entries, because the list then becomes a historical primer of sorts. "Here's the first team-up between Superman and Batman..." "Here's the inspiration for Nick Fury..." "Here's where Captain America punched Hitler in the face during the war years..." these kind of examples. I kind of wish the author would expand his issue range a bit more. But, it's his focus, and he seems to be content to stay in within a 20 year range of stories. But at any rate rate, I don't think the concept of "must read" necessarily has to be "mature, adult, and psychology nuanced." Given comic's history, and uphill battle of public perception, most of the entries on here are going to be more on the simplistic side, but it doesn't make them less notable.

9. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Not to worry, Rogue, there is plenty more Barks on the list, and some Don Rosa, too. (I'm with you, BTW, I think the Paternal Unit used to read these to us when I was small. I never owned one, though, when I was old enough to do so. My older brothers, though, were giant fans.) I'm going to look for them.

Next: Battlefield #2

Writer: Hank Chapman

Artists: Paul Reinman

Marvel (June 1952)

"E.C. led 1950s comics in quality, but there were many other genres from the decade as well, Chapman's "Atrocity Story" a topical look at then-current inhumanities, is one of the most powerful war stories ever. Reinman's visuals are equally comanding."

10. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    189. "Frontline Combat #7"

[image=http://images.comiccollectorlive.com/covers/168/16816270-b8a6-4048-84cc-55806f87ae67.jpg]

Writer: Harvey Kurtzman

Artist: Wally Wood, John Severin

E.C. (July-August 1952)

"These special issues were a treat for comics readers and military history buffs as well, and Kurtzman's "document" of the battles for Iwo Jima is no exception, blessed as it is with outstanding art by some of EC's finest artists."

11. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Holy ****, that's a comic from 1952 with the word hell! ON THE COVER! Pre-Code EC was awesome.

12. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    190. The Lone Ranger's Famous Horse: Hi-Yo Silver #3

[image=http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51h-Es9CTzL._SS500_.jpg]

Writer: Uncredited

Artist: Uncredited

Dell (July 1952)

"How popular were the Western stars of the 1950? Their horses got their own comics! After two issues with Dell's Four Color Series, Silver's series would run another 34 issues before the last "Hi-yo, Silver, away!" into a setting sun."

13. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    [face_plain]

I take it back - I'll gladly replace this comic with another Barks offering. And seriously, not even Hi-Yo Silver #1?

14. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    You know, when they gave Tonto a comic, I was like, "Okay, he's really just a sidekick, but I guess why not let him have his own comic?" And then they just had to go and push it.

And thirty-six issues? I'm trying to figure out what would even happen in this comic. What would the stories even be about?

15. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    It's all about issue #12, where Silver fails to save his girlfriend after his archenemy drops her off the Washington Br- wait, no, that was Spider-Man.

16. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    I love how the title is The Lone Ranger's Famous Horse: Hi-Yo Silver. I wonder if there's a big reveal that "Hi-Yo" is actually his first name.

17. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    "Call me Hi."

"There's this nimrod in a mask that claims he owns me. Yeah, right. I dumped that loser and decided to become the main man in my own story. Don't miss him; and I hope to hell he's hoofing it everywhere. Serve him right. Yell 'Hi-Yo Me, Away' when you're afoot and see the bad guys larf it up."

Next: 191. "Strange World of Your Dreams" #1

[image=http://images.tcj.com/2011/09/Strange_World_of_Your_Dreams_01_Kirby.-Cover-1.jpg]

Writers: Uncredited

Artists: Jack Kirby, Mort Meskin

Prize (August 1952)

"Said to have been 'dreamed up' by Meskin, this is one of the oddest horror anthologies of the decade. Stories were based upon actual dreams, with the editors offering to buy dreams sent in by readers."

18. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Next: 192. "Blackhawk" #56

[image=http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/6/61799/1271005-blackhawk__56___page_1_super.jpg]

Artists: Reed Crandall

Quality Comics (September, 1952)

"I get a little crazy about this, but the war wheel is the coolest weapon of destruction in comics. The Blackhawks enjoyed a few more good years before their publisher closed shop and sold them to DC, where they were never quite the same."

19. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    They're back in form now, though.

20. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    193. "Here's Howie" #5

[image=http://images.wikia.com/marvel_dc/images/1/18/Here%27s_Howie_Vol_1_5.jpg]

Writer: Uncredited

Artist: Owen FItzgerald

DC (September-October, 1952)

"This started as typical teen humor, but shifted to military humor when Howie and his best friend Melvin were drafted. This issue has five fast-paced stories starring the new recruits, and the comely but not-too-bright Winnie the WAC."

21. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Well gee that doesn't sound like anything I've ever heard of bef- WAIT JUST A GODDAMN MINUTE.

22. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Hmmm...Beetle Bailey is still extant. Never heard of Howie, though.

23. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    That Strange World of Your Dreams comic looks really interesting. I'd love to read some of those stories.

24. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Me, too. Great cover...

194. "Journey into Mystery" #3

Artists: Mike Sekowsky, Carmine Infantino

Marvel (October 1952)

"This is fine issue wiht delightfully creepy stories. But, I must confess, it's here because I love its wacky cover, which has nada to do with its cover-listed story and which was likely drawn by the woefully-underrated Sol Brodsky."

25. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Not to mention Carmine Infantino a mere four years before he would help to usher in the Silver Age in Showcase #4 over at DC. Definitely one of the best artists of his era.

Oh! And my favorite Marvel superhero would eventually debut within the pages of Journey into Mystery. And it's one of the few pre-60s Marvel books still going. Good times.