main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph 1001 Comic Books You Must Read: 280. "Superboy" #49

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Nevermind, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    What, deliberately? That's suspiciously regular.

2. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    Going back to the "Military Comics #1" as well:

Ace pilots from several countries come together as The Blackhawks, one of the most popular teams in comics history.

While it is basically a type of "introduction issue" that I think Rogue questioned above, this is a great inclusion to the list. The Blackhawks continued to be published in various series, pretty steadily through the years, and IIRC, just had a mini-series not too long ago. They very well may be "one of the most popular teams in comics history," at least one of the most consistent.

The modern Blackhawks combined more fantasical elements with the flying technology/skill they used. (Kind of like how the movie Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow did) I never realized they started off in a standard military themed comic and not a superhero-based one.

3. Nevermind

Nevermind Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 14, 2001
    32. Human Torch #5

[image=http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/human-torch/5-1.jpg]

Writer(s): Carlos Burgos, Bill Everett, Hank Chapman

Artist(s): Carlos Burgos, Bill Everett, Mike Roy

Marvel Comics(Fall 1941 c. Timely Comics Inc.)

"This legendary 60-page story was written and drawn in a weekend. The Sub-Mariner declares war on the Axis, but is swayed by a beautiful, treacherous woman. The Human Torch and sidekick Toro show Namor the error of his ways."

4. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    The Sub-Mariner declares war on the Axis, but is swayed by a beautiful, treacherous woman. The Human Torch and sidekick Toro show Namor the error of his ways."

Heh. The Sub Mariner is always being swayed by beautiful women. In later continuity, he goes so far as to kidnap the Fantastic Four's Invisible Woman.. It must be because he's prince of Atlantis without having a princess. He's a bit like Prince Harry in that regard as opposed to Prince William.

5. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    33. Classic Comics #1: The 3 Musketeers

[image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/cf/CC_No_01_Three_Musketeers.jpg/250px-CC_No_01_Three_Musketeers.jpg]

Writer(s): Original Author: Alexandre Dumas

Artist(s): Uncredited

Gilberton(October 1941 c. Gilberton Co.)

"Russian-born publisher Albert L. Kanter used the comic book to bring great literature to young readers. His long-running series, best know as Classics Illustrated, began with an adaptation of "The Three Musketeers". Nearly 170 issues would follow."

Oh, God. My grandmother had a stack of these, and I read them to pulp.

6. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    34. Military Comics #4

[image=http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/cgc-graded-comics/3793-1.jpg]

Writer(s): Will Eisner

Artist(s): Chuck Cuidera

Quality Comics(November 1941 c. Comic Magazines, Inc.)

"Black Tigress, the Gestapo's most dangerous spy, falls hard for Blackhawk. She is the first in a long line of legal lovelies, on both sides of the war, whose attraction to the team's rugged leader inspires, redeems, and sometimes dooms them."

7. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    o_O

What's the idea behind that upside-down soldier?

8. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Swastika?

9. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    Can you believe that neither character on the cover there are Nazis? Their uniforms are supposed to be dashing and swashbuckling...Although the connection does stand out. I wonder if the swastika symbolism was intentional or not?

The upside down guy is the leader of the Blackhawks, Blackhawk himself.

The other guy who is buried in the anthill with the worried look on his face appears to be Stan, another member of the Blackhawk team.

10. Champion of the Force

Dec 27, 1999
    It doesn't really look like a swastika much to me - too much stuff happening at the bottom which obscures the 'X' look. It just looks weird.

11. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    35. More Fun Comics #73

[image=http://www.firstappearanceof.com/images/aquaman.jpg]

Writer(s): Mort Weisinger

Artist(s): Paul Norris, George Papp

DC(November 1941 c. Detective Comics, Inc.)

"On a really good day, editor and writer Mort Weisinger created three new heroes: Green Arrow, Aquaman, and Flash imitator Johnny Quick. The speedster beat the others into print by two issues, but he's long gone and they're still active."

12. Champion of the Force

Dec 27, 1999
    Aquaman - Worst.Super.Powers.EVER.

13. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    Why were there so many green superheros...that's three, and I'm sure there's more.

14. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    That More Fun Comics featured both the Spectre and Dr Fate?!? That's must read mystical action right there-focusing on the 2 guys who would later sit among the most powerful figures in the entire DC universe. It is interesting to see Dr Fate's early half helmet, instead of his featureless whole face shield that he would use later on.

If Johnny Quick also debuted in that same issue as the third feature, then it's no wonder why he was "quickly" forgotten...

15. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    [image=http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu170/Deadpooligan/Aquaman/aquamancthulhu.png]

16. Champion of the Force

Dec 27, 1999
    I'm impressed - his powers are actually useful for one thing. [face_dancing]

(though Superman would just punch Cthulhu in the face :p )

17. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    Aquaman - Worst.Super.Powers.EVER.

To be fair to him though, the original Aquaman was cooler. He was more of an anti-pirate- more like the original Flash Gordon/Buck Rogers serials-or closer to being Commander Ryker of the seas..

He had super strength, could swim at break-neck speed, and taught himself how to speak to undersea animals. It wasn't so much the specialized telepathy that was developed in the 60's/70's. I also don't think he had the "powers disappear if out of water for a set time" limitation either, although I could be incorrect on the last point.

Although it's clear that his 90's more stoic, "look- I've grown a beard so I'm grunge" persona didn't really work.

18. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    Aquaman is cool. If he wasn't, he wouldn't still be around, with DC trying again and again to find the version that resonates just right with the fanbase and catches on.

The beard Aquaman came close, though, IMO.

19. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Last time I read anything with Aquaman, it was Brightest Day... 2 or 3, and he was summoning undead sharks. Can he still do that? Because that made me a fan.

20. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    I'm pretty sure one of his powers that remained from the Lady of the Lake is the ability to summon undead sea creatures.

I'm not sure how it fits in with the Final Crisis alternate "sword of Atlantis" Aquaman, which I would say represents the perfect version of the character, even if he's not the "real" one.

Does Aquaman still have a current series of his own, or does he only make appearances in crossover issues?

21. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    36. All-Star Comics #8

[image=http://www.terryscomics.com/PICS/keys/All_Star_8_6_5_Resto.jpg]

Writer(s): Gardner F. Fox, William Moulton Marsten

Artist(s): Everett E. Hibbard, Harry G. Peter

DC(December 1941-January 1942 c. 1941 All-American Comics, Inc.)

"Dr. Mid-Nite and Starman join the Society, but the real star of this issue is Wonder Woman. Created by psychologist, feminist theorist, and inventor Marston, the Amazon princess comes to man's world to guide us in the ways of peace."

22. Nevermind

Oct 14, 2001
    37. Pep Comics #22

[image=http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/pep-comics/22-1.jpg]

Writer(s): Harry Shorten, Vic Bloom

Artist(s): Irv Novick, Bob Montana

MLJ(December 1941 c. 1941 MLJ Comics, Inc.)

"Occupying but six pages beside such heores as The Shield and The Hangman is a teenager more powerful than either. Before long, the kid would take over the company to such an extent that it would be called "Archie Comics."

23. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Ah, Archie. I grew up reading my cousin's old digests, and fortunately I was young enough to not get sick of reading the same plot again. And again. And again. It's all quite maddening now, though.
    Last I heard, which was at SDCC'10, there were no plans for an Aquaman series. It'd be nice if they changed their minds, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

24. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    This was touched on in the previous Archie/Pep issue discussion, but as the paragraph above says, it is interesting to see how powerful Archie ended up becoming.

Those digests are fascinating from a pop-culture standpoint, since they collect and reprint all sorts of stories from the Archie library. If anyone happens to see one at the grocery store aisle or whatnot, buy one and you might find a story from the 60's or 70's inside. They're a good window to past fashion, etc...

25. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I used to read Archie comics to almost the exclusion of everything else. I used to always get a little happy thrill when I'd get to an older one, from the fifties or sixties. Those were generally better.