Amph 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die: Now Disc. "Heat" (1995)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Zaz, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I enjoy The Lion King a lot, even know. Sure, it's not perfect, but it's a strong story with memorable music. Everything that you're looking for in a Disney movie.
  2. timmoishere Force Ghost

star 6
    Fantastic movie, but the mere existence of all those god-awful sequels and "one-and-a-halfquels" taints it.
  3. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I think that I've only seen the sequel, fortunately. It wasn't terrible, things seemed to have gotten worse from there.
  4. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    The first sequel is terrible. The second one, despite some direct-to-video-ness in the art, is quite good.
  5. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Crappy sequels always seem to happen to modern Disney movies-Land Before Time, anyone? The Lion King itself is great despite the icky-ness aspect of Simba and Nala's relationship.
  6. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 7
    It's a good movie. Jeremy Irons is the best part. I guess I think it's kinda overrated. Especially the score.
  7. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Timone & Pumba hamming it up to Can You Feel The Love Tonight is the best part of the score.
  8. CloneUncleOwen Force Ghost

star 4
    This.
  9. hansen Force Ghost

star 4
    I love The Lion King and it's definitely a contender for my all time favorite Disney movie along with most of its contemporaries.

Land Before Time is very much not a Disney movie, but the point still stands.
  10. CloneUncleOwen Force Ghost

star 4
    [image=http://www.freewebs.com/funnytlk/funnysimbanala-large.jpg]

There is that sort of creepy, furry-quadsuit-yiffing aspect to it, yes.
  11. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Well, when you get into how lion prides work-only one male mates with the females in the pride at a time. So, Mufasa is also Nalana's father, which makes her Simba's half-sister. I guess incest fits the general 17th-century-royalty-politics vibe of the film, though. :p
  12. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Next: "Clerks" (1994)

USA.

Director: Kevin Smith

Producer: Scott Mosier; Kevin Smith

Screenplay: Keving Smith

Photography: David Keith

Music: Scott Angley

Cast: Brian O'Haloran, Jeff Anderson

13. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Is pretty much the eternal personification of every bad retail or customer service job anyone's ever had.

"This job would be great if it wasn't for the ****ing customers."

Managed to entwine that with casual popculture discussions that happen in idle comversation as well. A potent mix.
  14. DarthBoba Manager Emeritus

star 9
    Indeed. Terrific movie; I actually saw the sequel first (never even heard of the original when it came out) and I think the first one is a much better film.
  15. ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Grand Master

star 8
  16. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 7
    I'd say Clerks is an essential. It really just has its own perfect rhythm and, while it's far from polished, it's a great, evocative experience that I think any viewer can relate to on some level. We've all had days like this.
  17. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Force Ghost

star 5
    I'm thinking that anything directed by Kevin Smith lacks the sort of visual heft required to be placed in any real hallowed company, but it is essential, perhaps moreso due to the film's context with the whole Miramax film and the fact that its subject matter is pretty revolutionary for cinema.

Smith is a bit like Guy Ritchie though. Watch the debut and then be done forevermore.
  18. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 7
    I don't really understand why the fact that his films aren't primarily visual masterpieces drives people away. A great script can do wonders; look at All About Eve, which is minimally directed, but works because of its script. Not that Kevin Smith is on a par with All About Eve, but I highly recommend Chasing Amy, Dogma and Clerks II. The Clerks animated series was great too. Now, Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back was a disaster. Hunt up the Damon/Affleck scene on YouTube and you've seen all of that one you need too. But I call Clerks, Chasing Amy, Dogma and Clerks II all essentials.
  19. Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus

star 7
    When you look back at all the movies over the years that have won acclaim in part due to the mere fact of having been made for next to nothing (e.g. Blair Witch, Paranormal Activity, The Brothers McMullen, Primer) Clerks is one of the few that really seems to stand the test of time.
  20. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Force Ghost

star 5
    But Mankiewicz is still actually doing things with his shot selection, even if it's not sweeping vistas it's perspective and it's specific blocking and foreground, background, et cetera et cetera. If a film lacks any sort of visual ideas, then why is it even a film at all? Smith's works are basically stand up routines, with the lines chopped up and given to different characters. Occasionally, very infrequently, Smith will actually do something intelligent with his camera, but he seems to think that it only has to apply to one part of the film (see: the "1979" sequence in Clerks II, or the rain sequence in Chasing Amy).
  21. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    "Four Weddings and a Funeral" (1994)

UK 117 m

Director: Mike Newell

Producer: Duncan Kenworthy

Screenplay: Richard Curtis

Photography: Michael Coulter

Music: Richard Rodney Bennett

Cast: Hugh Grant, Kirsten Scott Thomas, Andie McDowell, Simon Callow

Not much without the funeral; but the cast is good, except for McDowell.
  22. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 7
    It's overrated. There's some funny stuff in there and John Hannah is fantastic, but the Andie MacDowell's character is annoying and the climax, in which Hugh Grant dramatically overcomes his fear of commitment and asks the girl not to marry him, is one of the stupidest climaxes in film history.
  23. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Force Ghost

star 5
    The only two reasons to watch it are Kristin Scott Thomas (why didn't he fall in love with her? Much more interesting and more attractive to boot) and Simon Callow.

In terms of Newell films, if this is in here and neither Dance with a Stranger or Donnie Brasco are, then this thing can go to hell.
  24. Nevermind Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    You have to buy the notion that not only does Grant's character prefer McDowell to Scott Thomas, but also Duckface to Scott Thomas. Hard to swallow.

"Natural Born Killers" (1994)

USA 118 m

Director: Oliver Stone

Producer: Jane Hamsher, Don Murphy, Clayton Townsend

Screenplay: Stone, Vleoz, Rutowski, from a story by Quentin Tarantino

Photography: Robert Richardson

Music: a host of people including Leonard Cohen, Dr. Dre, Patti Smith and Peter Gabriel

Cast: Tommy Lee Jones, Woody Harrelson, Juliette Lewis, Rodney Dangerfield, Robert Downey, Jr.

A skeevy version of "Badlands"

25. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Force Ghost

star 5
    Natural Born Killers doesn't necessarily work, but it is an arresting, beautifully shot piece of work. It's truly a must-see without being an actual classic of any kind.

And Tommy Lee Jones is almost better here than he was in JFK.