main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

1001 Things never to do in a fanfilm

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Darth_Dude_91, Apr 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaren_Valnor

Jaren_Valnor Jedi Master star 2

Sep 19, 2004
    Lots of Jedi is not always a bad thing. If your film is set in the Dark Times or the Galactic Civil War, Jedi should be scarce, if present. However, I've begun writing a FanFilm set in the New Jedi Order era, which has at least three Jedi in it, at this stage, as it should. If it's before or after the Trilogy, go for Jedi.

2. BigOlaf-aka-TheSarge

BigOlaf-aka-TheSarge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2004
    Do not ever write a script with these things in it:

Starts off on a world with only a limited amount of technology, where wheeled "cars" are used for transport.

Han, Luke, and/or Leia present. Unless you have Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, and/or Harrison Ford...Which you won't.

Set it in a forest with about five jedi and five dark jedi...cause there were never 5 dark jedi that close together...ever...unless its set in "the Knights of the Old Republic" time.

have an unexplained lightsaber fight.

have a couple of kids (i.e. teenagers, 22 or younger) be "Jedi Masters" in the movie....it just isn't believable, no matter how many of you wish it was.

have a cheesy effect (such as lightning) unless the user has no weapons, is a dark jedi, and is laughing maniacly....you have to meet that criteria, or at least two of the three.

theres more....

3. Talonias

Talonias Jedi Master star 1

May 25, 2005
    Can you get away with it if your teenagers are padawans with no masters?
    Well, what if it was set on Earth, where the most easily accessible transport is a car?

Talonias

4. Ellbobin

Ellbobin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2004
    ^^^
    Dont set it on earth.

5. Talonias

May 25, 2005
    Too late, half the film is already shot

6. Israel_Angell

Israel_Angell Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 31, 2004

Since you people were saying I couldn't critiscise someone's work cause I haven't done any my self...

7. Zarm_Rkeeg

Zarm_Rkeeg Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2003
    Have we reached 1001 yet?

8. MMCDHoward

MMCDHoward Jedi Youngling

Jun 2, 2005
    start filming and remember that you forgot your camera after shooting half the days work

9. BigOlaf-aka-TheSarge

BigOlaf-aka-TheSarge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 9, 2004
    Talonias,

yes, padawans, jedi apprentices, younglings, maybe even young Jedi Knights.

But Masters, no.

and if your movie is set on earth, make it part of a parallel dimension shift, or some such nonsense....

In fact, do it your way...

Its not my movie.

10. v8er

v8er Jedi Youngling

Feb 22, 2004
    How do I explain this? okay here is an example.

Have a Jedi and Sith fighting. The Jedi turns around very slow, and the Sith just stands there, when he could have slaughtered the Jedi.

Attack with a lightsaber toward the blade not the body.

11. Talonias

May 25, 2005
    Yeah, don't wait for your opponent to get up [face_skull] KICK HIS FACE IN AND STAB, SLASH HIS HEAD OFF[face_skull]!

12. RyiokuXL

RyiokuXL Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2005
    I've got something you should never do in a fanfilm... you should never...

Do it wrong.

13. warofthestars

warofthestars Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 24, 2005
    what if the sith and the jedi start to turn around at the same time? :D

14. MostImpressive

MostImpressive Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 18, 2005

All lightsaber battles are supposed to be like that.. it's called STAGED battle. A real sword battle/duel wouldn't last longer than 10 seconds and would be boring to watch.

Heck, in ROTS Obi Wan and Anakin spin their sabers for like 3 seconds behind there back in front of each other instead of killing each other.

15. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    That pissed me off to no avail. I screamed profanity at the screen.

M. Scott

16. ASOULAN

ASOULAN Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 10, 2005

Yea, agree totally.....

Every fight should have a little bit of flash to spice it up, but if that's all there is...well, that's like having all frosting with no cake under it. Tastes good for a few bites, then you start to get sick of it.

A real fight is just as boring and over too quickly, but the Ani vs. Obi duel left me feeling like they were dancing instead of fighting.

Tango anyone ???

I guess it's all about moderation....

17. v8er

v8er Jedi Youngling

Feb 22, 2004
    [/quote]....

All lightsaber battles are supposed to be like that.. it's called STAGED battle. A real sword battle/duel wouldn't last longer than 10 seconds and would be boring to watch.

Heck, in ROTS Obi Wan and Anakin spin their sabers for like 3 seconds behind there back in front of each other instead of killing each other.[/quote]

Yeah but, I mean if it takes 3 seconds for someone to spin around and the oppenant just stands there, when he could've killed him. You think that is cool? and fun to watch?

I like stuff added for show and the thrill, but come on that would just be too boring.

18. Red-2

Red-2 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2004
    BigOlaf-aka-TheSarge

You have exemplified everything that i hate on this board. Why can't a kid be a jedi master? Why do you have to oppress little kids like that? O that fan film is not believeable, look at those kids! Playing as Jedi Masters HA! In REAL life those jedi masters would be OLD.

you disgust me.

There are no real jedi. I constantly hear this comment and i don't understand it. There is some kid out there that's saying, forget this fanfilm, [/b]BigOlaf-aka-TheSarge[/b] isn't going to care if it's good or not. Because he won't be able to open up his mind to something new. And the kids going to be right! You just won't be able to see past the kids in the robes.

Just try and be open minded to what everyone has to show. Don't supress creativity, let it go.

I mean in no way for this to be offensive, this is just a topic that frustrates me

19. HSJFILM

HSJFILM Jedi Master star 2

Jul 6, 2005
    it is a fact tough, jedi masters are never younger then 30-ish/40-ish

20. EIEIO

EIEIO Jedi Youngling

Mar 29, 2005
    I think what he might have been getting at was that child actors have a tough time making it believeable that they could be a Jedi master.

I mean, I'd go for the idea that a race in the SW Universe LOOK like children, but are actually much older, or that they mentally age faster so that, even though the body is that of a 9 year old, the mind and the skill is that of a middle aged person... it's possible....

However, I think the basic concept of "Hey, this 9 yr old is a Jedi Master" is WAYYYYYY flawed. The basic rules that govern the SW Universe have set it so that a Jedi-in-training needs DECADES of training before even becoming a Knight, let alone a Master.

Look at EP 3... Anakin is the prime example of a Jedi who moves up in the ranks too fast... he's not made a Knight until his early 20's, then next thing you know he's on the Council, but not a Master... and so his ego rebels, the Dark Side cometh, etc etc etc...

In the Expanded Universe, you're seeing younger Jedi becoming Knights by their mid-to-late teens (Jacen and Jaina Solo, to be specific), but that has more to do with a specific story arc than it does with the normal course of Jedi training. They are forced to endure trials of spirit and skill far earlier than they would in normal Jedi training, and so achieve the rank of Knight much earlier because they have matured faster... thanks to the Yuuzhan Vong invasion.

Despite this point, the twins are STILL 17-18 yrs old before becoming Knights. My point, essentially, is that the SW Universe is set so as to not have a Jedi be a Master until they are much older.

Just my perspective on the whole deal.

Cheers!

21. BojacRedleif

BojacRedleif Jedi Master star 3

Jun 1, 2004
    1. Never have a guy play a girl in a fanfilm....even if it's just a joke.

You'll end up with this:
    [image=http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/8778/shanenewbio3kh.jpg]
    or this
    [image=http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/3071/shaneugly5mr.jpg]

We're redubbing alot of the dialog just because there was always somebody laughing their ass off in the background.

2. Another lesson, sit down with your actors and tell them "DO NOT LOOK AT THE CAMERA"

I'm gonna need to reshoot a scene just cuz Paul wouldn't stop looking at the camera (now I have to buy another hotdog)

3. My ruling for Jedi Masters in their teens, Unless it's meant to be funny or one of those "We need more Jedi Knights, let promote some Padawans" then there should be NOBODY playing a Jedi Knight that's under 20. (Or the Jedi is another species other than human)

22. Phayze

Phayze Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 23, 2004
    talk about missing the point . . . .

It's fiction, people. There are no facts, only a generally accepted set of guidelines that some people feel a need to cling to as if they were religious gospel.

The fact that I'm 24 makes it no better for me to swing a brook stick around and pretend to be a Jedi than for a 14 year old to do the same. If anything, it makes it much, much worse. In fact, I'm glad I'm already married, because if I weren't then widespread distribution of my fanfilm would make it really hard to get a woman.

For God's sake, people, let the children play. Fanfilming is fun, and it's no less fun for kids than it is for old people.

23. Zarbid

Zarbid Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 11, 2005
    ^^ got my vote. Star Wars is universal. I'm only 19, so I wasn't even a sparkle in my mums eye when the first film came out, but for those of you that make Fan films and saw the orginal release in the cinemas EDIT IE, those who belong to The Generation Jedi, /EDIT (or any of the orginals for that matter), if the technology was around in the 70's for you to make a fan film, you would've done it wouldn't you?

Kids, Adults, whoever, yeah it doesn't look right, but who cares??? Its fans enjoying the wonderful gift that Lucas gave the world.

Just an opinion

Zarbid

24. Red-2

Red-2 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2004
    Phayze, Zarbid

Thank you, thank you so very very much.

25. Phayze

Phayze Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 23, 2004
    no worries, Red. I got your wing. ;)

Thread Status: